Skip to main content

Originally Posted by baseballmom:

CD,

You know I'll pray! Any update yet? Please keep us informed. I've "busted my tailbone" on an icy street, so that can kind of rattle everything, including teeth! .I'm sure he was in major pain, esp trying to breathe!

He's still in the hospital.  He is on Vicadin now instead of Morphine so that is an improvement.  It hurts to breath indeed.  Supposed to be released tomorrow.  4-6 week stint on the DL.  Another problem is we are all going to Vegas at the end of the month and the plan was to watch him play.  That seems like it is out of the question now.  We are hoping that the team might let him drive down from Reno so he can visit with us in Vegas but that might be just about the time they send him out on a rehab stint.  Everything is kind of goofed up right now, but I can't tell everyone how much I appreciate their support and prayers!  I told my son that people were praying for him all over the country and he seemed to really appreciate that.

CD

Sorry to hear about your sons injury. The shower room has been the cause of many injuries.  Broken ribs is extremely painful, I know that for sure.  However, for an athlete, there are many worse injuries.  Biggest problem is getting back in the groove after the time off.  Here is to a successful recovery and a call up. 

I'll write some more later about my 'baseball trip,' but I've been in Durham, NC the last few days to see my son's team against the Durham Bulls.  I have to say that the Bulls ballpark is simply...one of the best I've ever been too.  Fantastic on every count including the micro-brews (local).  Anyone with a chance to go to a game there absolutely should.

Originally Posted by justbaseball:

I'll write some more later about my 'baseball trip,' but I've been in Durham, NC the last few days to see my son's team against the Durham Bulls.  I have to say that the Bulls ballpark is simply...one of the best I've ever been too.  Fantastic on every count including the micro-brews (local).  Anyone with a chance to go to a game there absolutely should.

We were there last September.  I believe I posted at the time it was the nicest ballpark that I'd ever been in at any level.  I especially enjoyed the outdoor bar up on top the home run porch in left field. 

Originally Posted by 08Dad:

Awesome!!!! 

Agree.

I hope that she doesn't mind, but last weekend while baseballmom was in KC to see the game she had a terrible accident, is ok now. Never got to see Preston pitch!

So let's all wish her a speedy recovery so she can make it to see him soon!

Thanks to all...as you already know (or will know), its probably good to take these things with guarded optimism.  After a rough few years (injuries/performance) he's certainly heading in the right direction however we understand that it's just a small step in the grand scheme of things.  Anyway, we are enjoying the moment and hoping for the best. Appreciate your good wishes. 

So sad to hear baseballmom didn't get to see Preston pitch (and her accident)...wishing her well and hoping she gets to see her boy in pinstripes soon.

Ok, y'all prolly all figured all this out already, but if your son plays on a team or in a league that has a fair number of games on MiLBTV, you should get it.

Once you've got it, download the MiLB app on your smartphone.  If you have AppleTV, you can play the games through the AppleTV onto your HD TV.  Not a lot is in HD, but the quality is pretty darned good.

I thought I'd take a moment to tell you about a player I met on my recent MiLB road trip back East (Norfolk and Durham).

My son has a teammate, Chris Young.  Chris has pitched in the big leagues for 9 years.  He is trying to come back from shoulder surgery and has taken a triple-A assignment to make that comeback.

http://www.baseball-reference....rs/y/youngch03.shtml

I met Chris and his wife at dinner one night...the night that J.A. Happ was hit in the head by a line drive.  Both Chris (hit by Albert Pujols) and my son have experienced the same.  They were at the table next to us and Chris and my son were talking about it all.  Anyways, thats how I met Chris.  I also sat with him and his wife the next day at the game (he was on chart assignment).

I have to say that Chris and his wife were two of the very nicest people I have ever met.  Chris is a 6 ft. 10 in. pitcher who played basketball and baseball at Princeton.  His wife played soccer at Princeton and holds a law degree from Georgetown.  Boy-oh-boy would any of us like to have them as neighbors.  Kind, thoughtful, considerate...absolutely no difficult thoughts expressed about being in triple-A after age 30...just a job to do and a "hope" that he can make it back.  Nothing more.

I feel so lucky to have Chris on my son's team...mentoring him (and he is doing that!).  I love knowing my son is around such a class individual.  We meet so many kids and I have really enjoyed nearly all of them...but Chris is special.

No matter what, I will be a Chris Young fan...big-time.

I have just been reading all the posts in this thread. It was very interesting. Here's asking for a few prayers. My son has played at a very small school, 1 summer in NYCBL and 1 in CPL. He has great records, but we didn't know if he'd be seen because his college is such a small school. Well, he's been contacted by a few teams, including 1 invite to a pre-draft workout. We are beyond excited about his prospects, but do not know what to expect. Please pray that he will get his chance to be drafted and play in the minors

Hi ,

Extended ends next Saturday,Then if he makes a team they have few days off,then few days practice before he would head out to Auburn New York.He is just enjoying playing and still wearing a uniform.Its all good with him.He has a degree and playing hopefully his second year of pro ball.This has been a great experience for him in so many ways.

How are you?

I was up at RDS in jupiter, the second such visit in a month, to see two players of websters who post here.  It's a long way from home sometimes, just a familiar face  or not even one, may help the player as well as pics sent to the parents. 

DK received a visit last weekend in Akron from a webster, though our sons know each other her and her husband went up to the game and met with son. I will  return the gesture when her son comes to the FSL.

Attend a milb game if you can, mine plays in the eastern league, more than happy to get anyone tics if they wish. It helps the players sometimes to pass the very long season with a break in game routine and the folks to know someone came out to watch!

I'll second TPM's suggestion to attend a milb game and say hello to one of our HSBBW players.  No matter how long they've been playing professionally, it's still nice to have someone say hello and wish them well (without the usually request for a ball or autograph) 

TPM visited Jerseyson in Jupiter and while he kidded me about meeting one of my HSBBW "friends", the truth was he really appreciated the words of encouragement and knowing that there were people out there that were in his corner.  And yes, the pic's were much appreciated too.

Heck, the visit might have helped his mojo too because he was promoted the week after TPM's visit. 

Seriously, the ticket request thing can get out of hand at times. Especially if they reach the top.  I was talking to Manny Upton and he said his kids had over a thousand ticket requests for opening day in Atlanta. That is quite a bit more than their quota!

Still with the help of some teammates they were able to get over a hundred into the sold out game. That is a lot of work just listing the names correctly for the will call window. Just think Jason Heyward and Brian McCann are from the Atlanta area. Hard telling how many requests they got. Our guys got their tickets tickets from one of the coaches.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.