Skip to main content

Sorry to hear this. This is a journey of many ups and downs and not an easy one. These boys or I should say men work so hard. This is a journey few get a chance to even have an opportunity while millions would love to be there. Any player that has played minor league baseball, prospect/non prospect has a journey that's hard to understand unless your family has gone through it. I tell myself everyday that there is a whole lot of life to live away from the game when that day comes. Wishing the best for you and your son. He has been in an elite group of men.

southernmom - I'm sorry to read that news.  I do admire your thoughtful post and I believe I can "relate" to most if not all of it.

fanofgame said:

Any player that has played minor league baseball, prospect/non prospect has a journey that's hard to understand unless your family has gone through it.

Boy-oh-boy ain't that the truth!  There is just simply no way to comprehend what this is like unless you see it up close and personal.  Over and over I find myself rooting hard for players that I have absolutely no connection too, not even from here...knowing just how tough this is.

Through these experiences, none of us will ever see the game of baseball, whether its college or pro, quite the same.

Good luck to your son...and to you.  I wish we could all give you both a big hug!  So instead <virtual hugs> on their way. 

Thank you all of your words of understanding and support, trust me it has helped as you have lived the life of minor league baseball with your sons.  I still say I hate baseball, but it is getting better....I have not cried today. I know, I know, it will be alright .  Justbaseball and fanofgame, you said it better than I could.  Again, he has been blessed in every way and we are thankful for all. As I have said many times, may your sons have a healthy, successful rest of the season!!!!!!

I am so sorry learn of your son's release. It is a very tough business, we all throw ourselves into it and when the love wears thin it is hard to get past the heartache of knowing that a significant aspect of our son's life, and our lives has come to pass.

My son has struggled this year, injuries, not performing and then not playing.

It is a difficult business, and a difficult life...

Praying for you and your son that you and your family will find a sense of peace and that great opportunities and Blessings await your son around the corner.

Southernmom - thank you for sharing so eloquently some feelings that I am sure to have at some point in the future.  I am sorry for your son, and glad you can openly share with us.  It is truly a difficult profession, even for the high dollar prospect players I have noticed.

I don't think I have posted in this thread about my son yet this summer.  Been sitting back observing, listening to TPM and swallowing hard, knowing she is right about the back field boys.  I have been waiting for something nice to say.  Ah, the life of a non-prospect, free agent, senior sign catcher from a college championship team - playing on the same team with the first round HS drafted catcher.  It has been a wonderful experience.  It has taught my son what hard work really is.

No one held a gun to his head and said "sign here."  No one said he had to go and play.  It was his decision and he wanted to give it everything he's got, which he has done, and then some. 

I have started calling my son "Lou".  Hey Lou, how's it going?  Hey Lou, feeling okay?  Hey Lou, they treating you alright after the tenth bullpen by 9:30am on a Tuesday morning in 95 degree heat and 98% humidity?  Hey Lou, how's that seeing live pitching for the first time after 6, 9, or even 20 days?  Ready to give up yet Lou?  "No Dad."  Hey Lou, you look tired, everything alright?  Hey Lou, you eating right?  "Shutup Dad, and why do you keep calling me Lou all the time."

I replied - just wanted to get used to calling you Lou. 

It will end someday, maybe next week - this fall, next spring, next August, two years, three years - 8 years.  Yes it will end.  And I can call him Lou. Lou Kingforanewjobsoon?

But from 4 years old to this day - I tell him he has given me every fond baseball memory I will ever need from him.  It is all bonus memory time now.

Goodnight.

Backstop-17,

I have been kind of laying low this season, letting you all first time/first season parents of players figure it out for yourselves.

Just so that you know, my son is also a free agent, and he is looked upon as just that by his manager,  and also trying to prove that he belongs.  Older but not the oldest, he probably works harder than he has to, but that's what he does, and even an injury won't stop him from working hard every day. 

His game and relief time hasn't turned out as expected, kind of has a back thing going on.  When you are called upon to pitch every 8-10 days (more innings for a month because the other guy whose spot you took over was on the DL after you) you can't stay as sharp without seeing live hittine.  He has had to change his game plan from 4 seam FB  inning guy to 2 seam sinker guy (that also works as his off speed) and is the long reliever when they are in a close/loss situation. 

However,  he has really enjoyed this season more than any with his teammates, who have basically remained  the same (players) through the season, maybe because the team is really made up of lots of free agents (considered non prospects)  and they are in a race for first place in their division for playoffs.

And he is the clubhouse DJ which makes the long days more fun when you don't have much else to do in between outings.

Being on a former championship team,  a winning attitude that your son might bring  to the team, should be recognized. 

Strange as it seems with what he has endured, DK still loves what he is doing.

So I know, I understand, trust me. 

Our family has experienced the "release" four times.  Always a sad day! We have been involved with the highest of highs and the lowest of lows.  After awhile you just come to realize you were one of the lucky ones who even got the chance to experience all of this. Truth is, the vast majority of players will be released at some point. It's really tough to enjoy professional baseball when your family is involved.  Everything is so damn important or anyway it seems that way. There's nothing else quite like it and it doesn't matter if you are a MLB scout or someone with very little background in baseball. Your son is your son and you can't help but care too much.

The good part is your son has his entire life ahead of him.  It takes a lot more than baseball players to make this world a better place.  Being a professional player is an education in itself. A small percentage get the opportunity for that education. And it looks pretty good on the resume. Being released isn't the end, it very well could be the beginning of something much more important.

There are many things that are much more important than baseball.

I love this site and cannot express how much information, insight and honesty shared that has been so valuable in the baseball journey.  The initial "I was released" and the "he was released" you have to share with friends and family tugs at the heart a bit, but being able to express my feelings at the moment with folks who understand has been comforting.  As we all are, I am so very proud of my son, not to mention thankful, blessed and look forward to each and every new day.  It's Thirsty Thursday at a ball park nearby......

Originally Posted by 08Dad:

I did get some tickets from a MLB player two seasons ago - and it was, who else, the IRS who decided that free tickets were a taxable item. So now the player gets charged rather than having the team have to track exactly how many "free" tickets each player got per pay period and then having to tax them on the value of those tickets. 

Found this link - http://usatoday30.usatoday.com...0-ticket-taxes_x.htm

I can now report with complete confidence that this in fact true.  Not that there was any doubt.

I guess one thing to note is that it can cause the player some amount of anxiety.  Stuck between "Yes, I'm making a lot more money than I've ever made but not as much (take home) as one might imagine" and "How the heck can I say 'no' to the dozens of requests from good friends, aunts and uncles that come in daily sometimes."

The charge for our son's debut weekend back in June was hundreds of dollars for 3 seats (mom, dad and girlfriend) to 2 games in Atlanta earlier this year.  Imagine being in a family with 30 aunts and uncles and dozens of cousins who live all over the country in various MLB cities.  Thats the situation our son finds himself in and you can imagine its a tough one to navigate...that my wife and I are trying to help him...well, navigate.

Originally Posted by justbaseball:
Originally Posted by 08Dad:

I did get some tickets from a MLB player two seasons ago - and it was, who else, the IRS who decided that free tickets were a taxable item. So now the player gets charged rather than having the team have to track exactly how many "free" tickets each player got per pay period and then having to tax them on the value of those tickets. 

Found this link - http://usatoday30.usatoday.com...0-ticket-taxes_x.htm

I can now report with complete confidence that this in fact true.  Not that there was any doubt.

I guess one thing to note is that it can cause the player some amount of anxiety.  Stuck between "Yes, I'm making a lot more money than I've ever made but not as much (take home) as one might imagine" and "How the heck can I say 'no' to the dozens of requests from good friends, aunts and uncles that come in daily sometimes."

The charge for our son's debut weekend back in June was hundreds of dollars for 3 seats (mom, dad and girlfriend) to 2 games in Atlanta earlier this year.  Imagine being in a family with 30 aunts and uncles and dozens of cousins who live all over the country in various MLB cities.  Thats the situation our son finds himself in and you can imagine its a tough one to navigate...that my wife and I are trying to help him...well, navigate.

Interesting and didn't know that.  Lets worse case this thing.  Lets assume a player has at least 6 ticket requests for all 162 games which is probably overstating things by a lot.  That's about 1,000 tickets per year.  Lets assume each one of those tickets is $40.00 which is probably also overstating things.  That is a 40,000 dollar tax bill which the player probably would be on the hook to the IRS for about 20,000 of that amount to pay the tax.  The major league minimum salary is 500k and lets assume the government gets 200,000 of that netting the player 300k.  In this hypothetical scenario, that would be over 6 percent of the player's net income which of course is not chump change.  For the Bryce Harper's of the world, it probably is no big deal.  For first time big leaguers making the major league minimum, it is something to consider.  

I'd say if it is at all possible, honor the ticket request as a way of giving back.  A tough pill to swallow when it adds up, but I don't think people will understand if you start turning them down and I am not sure if it is worth the bad karma it might generate trying to explain things.       

CD - I echo all of those thoughts.  Our son has told us he will never turn anyone down, but has also asked that we help manage requests that come through us.  My wife has 14 brother and sisters...almost all with kids...i.e. cousins.  Some he's never met.  It gets big in a hurry.  Add in HS and college friends, etc... and the numbers add up quickly.  I see social media requests to him from friends and cousins and aunts and uncles...for tickets.  And then there's the requests from the "best friend" or boss of a  family member who "always rooted for your son."  Its not easy to navigate gracefully.  And by the way, the seats they put you in are in the $100 neighborhood...not $40.

I hope no one takes my post to seem like its a huge problem.  Its certainly not a huge problem...in fact its a "good" problem to have, and its one he'll handle just fine I believe.  Just trying to create awareness on a topic I personally had no "awareness" of before.

I have attended MLB games courtesy of a (non-family) player before...but had no idea that the player ends up paying for about half the cost of the ticket through taxes.

In any case, I think this could even be a 'touchy' subject amongst friends...which just goes to demonstrate how much easier it could be a very touchy subject inside a family, 2nd and 3rd cousins...and all.

CD:  Can I ask to clarify something you just said:  If I understand correctly, to get tickets for friends & family, MLB players now purchase from website.  I assume that means they pay with credit-card, debt-card, paypal or something?  In that case, there's no additional tax liability created.  The players are purchasing the tickets with their after tax dollars  It's the same as if you or I were buying tickets for a game.  

In the prior situation, where the front-office was handling tickets - Player tells someone on Team admin they need X number of tickets for a game - then the player is getting a benefit/compensation that will be taxed:  The value of the ticket(s).  In that situation, then yes, the player who got a 1,000 tickets over the season would infact have gotten a $40,000 benefit from his employer and would be responsible for taxes of that benefit (either via paycheck withholding or via filing process).

There is one edge case here:  If the MLB player's website sells the player's deeply discounted tickets, then the player would be on the hook for the income tax on the benefit between the price paid (ie. the $40) and the fair-value the tickets.  Again, total edge case: In practice, I imagine the price the players are paying is considered the value of that ticket.

I guess I don't know for sure, but here is how I think(?) it works.

Player has 4 friends/family coming to game tonight.  He logs onto computer in clubhouse with his on MLB ID, enters his request for 4 tickets.  Based on home club pricing, etc... (sometimes including "dynamic pricing" which can be quite expensive), tickets are issued with a 'price attached' that is normal for that game, that venue.  The value of the ticket (could be $100 or more...see Yankees/Mets games as a "more" example) is added to the player "income" and therefore taxed come tax day.

Originally Posted by SultanofSwat:

Why not just say 'I can get you great seats, but the tickets are no longer free.  But I can get them for you at a great discount. Interested?'

That's a pretty good suggestion.

Another one might be... assuming that tickets are in the 100.00 range... then, the taxes are probably about 40-50 dollars.  Have the parent purchase seats at lower prices than the taxes would be from the team website and have the guests pick them up at the will call window.  The player would then reimburse the parent at the lower prices and the IRS would be kept out of it.  If the parent had deep pockets, they could keep the player out of it as well  

Originally Posted by justbaseball:

Based on home club pricing, etc... (sometimes including "dynamic pricing" which can be quite expensive), tickets are issued with a 'price attached' that is normal for that game, that venue.  The value of the ticket (could be $100 or more...see Yankees/Mets games as a "more" example) is added to the player "income" and therefore taxed come tax day.

Yanks/Mets this year were $240 each! Outrageous pricing for Boston, too. 

Had a good laugh when I saw this!! 

Let The Music Play: Yankees rookies dress up

It’s probably a good thing the Yankees won Sunday’s game, or this might have been a little bit awkward.

The Yankees had their rookies dress in a variety of wild costumes for the flight to Baltimore. The star of the show was Hiroki Kuroda’s interpreter, Jiwon Bang, who dressed in an iconic blue tuxedo like the one made famous by “Gangnam Style” performer Psy.

Brett Marshall donned a yellow suit like the one worn by Psy’s sidekick in last summer’s YouTube sensation, and the two of them actually gave a solid effort in replicating the dance moves across the clubhouse carpet. I wish I had a video to share. (Side note: the Psy official video has more than 16 million views. That’s amazing.)

The others, from left to right in the above photo: J.R. Murphy as Justin Bieber, Cesar Cabral as Rick James, David Adams as Vanilla Ice and Preston Claiborne as Billy Ray Cyrus (though Joba Chamberlain kept calling Claiborne “Joe Dirt" .

Strong effort, guys. I’m still partial to the 2007 ‘Wizard of Oz’ costume party as the Yanks’ best in recent memory.

http://bombersbeat.mlblogs.com...es-rookies-dress-up/

BTq3lgtIcAAoLRv

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.