Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think we need to look at the previous years as well to get a better idea of how teams recruit.  I assume that the more top 100 kid a school signs the more they need to sign overall due to draft loss.  I also assume that most of the top team are looking at kids as 3 year players.

What really stands out to me is TCU signing 11-12 kids a year and being arguably the top baseball program in the country right now. 

Midwest Mom posted:

I've always wondered about this.  Assume for some of these D1s they lose a few to the MLB draft, but how many actually show up for the first day of college when you have a 17 person recruiting class?  What's reality?  Would love to have some insight. 

Most of them are going to show up - and half of them wont be there after 1 or 2 semesters.  They will bounce down to D2, D3, JUCO, or lower level D1 programs.  This is plain and simple.  All these schools are over-recruiting. They want the luxury of looking at 20 kids for 3 months to decide which 10 they want.  All these kids with D1 stars in their eyes (including mine) need to understand reality.  Be careful what you ask for - sometimes when you get what you asked for it turns out to not be what you expected.

cabbagedad posted:

Florida International among all the Blue Bloods

Arkansas' 23 with no top ten is a much different scenario than Vandy's 23 with 10 top ten

Our West Coast schools should be ashamed

Very true, cabbagedad.  But no school is keeping 23 kids from the same recruiting class.  Not too hard to figure that out !

adbono posted:
Midwest Mom posted:

I've always wondered about this.  Assume for some of these D1s they lose a few to the MLB draft, but how many actually show up for the first day of college when you have a 17 person recruiting class?  What's reality?  Would love to have some insight. 

Most of them are going to show up - and half of them wont be there after 1 or 2 semesters.  They will bounce down to D2, D3, JUCO, or lower level D1 programs.  This is plain and simple.  All these schools are over-recruiting. They want the luxury of looking at 20 kids for 3 months to decide which 10 they want.  All these kids with D1 stars in their eyes (including mine) need to understand reality.  Be careful what you ask for - sometimes when you get what you asked for it turns out to not be what you expected.

The history at Vanderbilt does not reflect this opinion.. maybe at other schools.   from the 23 listed, 10 will sign, 2 will change their minds, 1 will be injured resulting in 10 to 11 for the class.   Arkansas will be a school that looks at the recruits and basically "cuts" after the fall.

Last edited by bacdorslider
bacdorslider posted:

The Vandy 2018 class referred to above has been touted as the best recruited class ever.   Many of these players are going to be drafted in the 1st , 2nd , 3rd , 4th rounds... many....... I would not be surprised to see 11-12 not show up.  they have 10 in the top 62 nationally.

I have never heard of 12 kids getting drafted from one schools recruiting class in the same year.  In fact, I have never heard of half that.  So, what you are suggesting would be unprecedented. 

bacdorslider posted:

The Vandy 2018 class referred to above has been touted as the best recruited class ever.   Many of these players are going to be drafted in the 1st , 2nd , 3rd , 4th rounds... many....... I would not be surprised to see 11-12 not show up.  they have 10 in the top 62 nationally.

The top 62 nationally according to who ?

adbono posted:
bacdorslider posted:

I have never heard of 12 kids getting drafted from one schools recruiting class in the same year.  In fact, I have never heard of half that.  So, what you are suggesting would be unprecedented. 

I agree it would be unprecedented... take a look at the draft the past couple of years and see how many players that were in the top 75 ranked players, regardless of their commitment signed professionally  and you will find 99% did sign...  heck 98% of all the drafted players in the first 10 rounds signed. 

In the Vandy 2018 class ( son being one of them)  there are not only 1st and 2nd rounders but top 5 picks overall....

I could be wrong.... but I doubt it.

bacdorslider posted

The history at Vanderbilt does not reflect this opinion.. maybe at other schools.   from the 23 listed, 10 will sign, 2 will change their minds, 1 will be injured resulting in 10 to 11 for the class.   Arkansas will be a school that looks at the recruits and basically "cuts" after the fall.

I know of a couple of former Vandy kids playing elsewhere. 

May not happen at the same level as other schools. But it happens. 

adbono posted:
bacdorslider posted:

I was looking at the Perfect Game rankings, but if you have a Baseball America account you will find the same players ranked  in their top 100  as well.

NYdad2017 posted:
bacdorslider posted

I know of a couple of former Vandy kids playing elsewhere. 

May not happen at the same level as other schools. But it happens. 

As do I , but a former is not exactly what is at question, but rather how many will show up....  I agree there will be some show up , and due to grades, lack of playing time, whatever, they will transfer.

Three of the Top 4 ranked players are Vandy players.  Rocker, Banfield, & Hankins.  I suppose it is possible than Banfield goes the college route if MLB scouts don't think his hit tool is ready (he's a Catcher) but I'd be shocked if Rocker or Hankins, both elite pitchers, don't go straight to pro ball

Arkansas is a school that is getting a rep for over-recruiting.  They "sign" a bunch of underclassmen and then wait & see if the players develop.  As alluded to above they will bring in a bunch of players and then make "cuts" in the fall.  At least, being a Power Five, the scholarship $$$ is guaranteed for 4 years but 99% of players who are told they aren't good enough will transfer out

Last edited by 3and2Fastball
bacdorslider posted:
adbono posted:
bacdorslider posted:

I was looking at the Perfect Game rankings, but if you have a Baseball America account you will find the same players ranked  in their top 100  as well.

Vanderbilt is one of the premier programs in the country by any measure.  I really don't think they are a good example of what is common practice in D1 recruiting. You can pick any school you want out of the list on the OP and you will see more commits than will actually play there.  And while any of those schools may lose a couple of kids to the draft far more will go elsewhere for other reasons.  That is my point. Also, it is not common practice for high level D1 programs (like Vanderbilt) to use their resources to recruit kids that they cant get to report to campus. Kudos to your kid for being in that recruiting class - but I would say his situation is the exception and not the rule as it pertains to information that most people on this board relate to.

adbono posted:
bacdorslider posted:
adbono posted:
bacdorslider posted:

Vanderbilt is one of the premier programs in the country by any measure.  I really don't think they are a good example of what is common practice in D1 recruiting. You can pick any school you want out of the list on the OP and you will see more commits than will actually play there.  And while any of those schools may lose a couple of kids to the draft far more will go elsewhere for other reasons.  That is my point. Also, it is not common practice for high level D1 programs (like Vanderbilt) to use their resources to recruit kids that they cant get to report to campus. Kudos to your kid for being in that recruiting class - but I would say his situation is the exception and not the rule as it pertains to information that most people on this board relate to.

I agree with you, its not your average class.  They recruit that way for many reasons.  Losing to the draft or not committing the other schools in your conference.  Let's through this class out of the discussion...

in fact you can throw out Florida, ULCA, LSU , Louisville, etc....

Let's be honest it's not hard to recruit the top 100 kids, not taking a gamble on their talent, projectability,  but rather if they will take the money.

Now the kids in the top 500 that are over committing themselves to just be able to say the are committed to a power 5 conference school are playing with fire.  I know many.....   most will show up and get released in the fall prior to the team having to turn in their roster to the NCAA.... early Feb. 

I am sure that some in the Vandy 2018 class are praying that the top players do sign....

Midwest Mom posted:

It's important to know where you fit. From the day a player commits, it's a" YOU understand" the progression that has to take place..............as the competition is fierce!

Showing up in the fall, surrounded by 50+ players, it won't take long to see where you stand when there's 6-7 players at your position............you had better trained to be the best or the mad scramble at semester is in your future!

The actual numbers of commits are arbitrary............it's likely, some don't report and there could be a few more than what you see on PG's site. 

bacdorslider posted:
adbono posted:
bacdorslider posted:
adbono posted:
bacdorslider posted:

I agree with you, its not your average class.  They recruit that way for many reasons.  Losing to the draft or not committing the other schools in your conference.  Let's through this class out of the discussion...

in fact you can throw out Florida, ULCA, LSU , Louisville, etc....

Let's be honest it's not hard to recruit the top 100 kids, not taking a gamble on their talent, projectability,  but rather if they will take the money.

Now the kids in the top 500 that are over committing themselves to just be able to say the are committed to a power 5 conference school are playing with fire.  I know many.....   most will show up and get released in the fall prior to the team having to turn in their roster to the NCAA.... early Feb. 

I am sure that some in the Vandy 2018 class are praying that the top players do sign....

I agree with all that......and you just made my point for me.  It doesn't really matter the reasoning behind it - almost all schools (TCU may be the exception from the list in the OP) are over-recruiting to some extent.

Yes, they all do , and it's getting younger and younger....  my 2018 was being recruited heavy as a soph... I spent a lot of time playing out scenarios , keeping an eye on his progression....  I had two other sons play JUCO and mid level D1....  and a D3.... I have seen all levels , the most important thing is are you going to a school that you can play at and get an education... 

adbono posted:
Midwest Mom posted:

You are absolutely correct. Man would it be hard as a 18 yo stud ball player that has always beat out all comers to keep all of this in perspective if one of these coaches on the list was telling you we want you on the team come to our school. I can see why they would trust in themselves and give it a go.

Ja'Crispy posted:
adbono posted:
Midwest Mom posted:

You are absolutely correct. Man would it be hard as a 18 yo stud ball player that has always beat out all comers to keep all of this in perspective if one of these coaches on the list was telling you we want you on the team come to our school. I can see why they would trust in themselves and give it a go.

happens every year.... that's why a quality travel coach, high school coach, parent, friend needs to be honest.... the commitment costs the school nothing...  You have to go where they love you.... not where you love them....

bacdorslider posted:
Ja'Crispy posted:
adbono posted:
Midwest Mom posted:

happens every year.... that's why a quality travel coach, high school coach, parent, friend needs to be honest.... the commitment costs the school nothing...  You have to go where they love you.... not where you love them....

Absolutely 100% correct! 

bacdorslider posted:
Ja'Crispy posted:
adbono posted:
Midwest Mom posted:

Totally agree. I believe not only does early commitment cost them nothing, it costs you most of your negotiating leverage. I think most kids do themselves a disservice committing too early. Just saying that would be one hard decision for a kid to keep in perspective if one of these heavyweights came calling.

bacdorslider posted:
adbono posted:
bacdorslider posted:

I agree it would be unprecedented... take a look at the draft the past couple of years and see how many players that were in the top 75 ranked players, regardless of their commitment signed professionally  and you will find 99% did sign...  heck 98% of all the drafted players in the first 10 rounds signed. 

In the Vandy 2018 class ( son being one of them)  there are not only 1st and 2nd rounders but top 5 picks overall....

bds, you obviously know this territory well. While I agree with your point, your numbers are probably a little off. For the 2017 draft, 6 guys ranked in the top 75 (BA) did not sign. Most of them were drafted later, I assume because their agents floated a bonus number that no one was willing to come close to?

Vandy and Florida led the pack with BA500 recruits who did not sign. That doesn't surprise me. My thinking would be... after 3 years at Florida/Vandy, my draft stock will be much higher. Be patient.

http://www.baseballamerica.com...#oy7x9lw2Lq5wHjYf.97

MidAtlanticDad posted:
bacdorslider posted:
adbono posted:
bacdorslider posted:

bds, you obviously know this territory well. While I agree with your point, your numbers are probably a little off. For the 2017 draft, 6 guys ranked in the top 75 (BA) did not sign. Most of them were drafted later, I assume because their agents floated a bonus number that no one was willing to come close to?

Vandy and Florida led the pack with BA500 recruits who did not sign. That doesn't surprise me. My thinking would be... after 3 years at Florida/Vandy, my draft stock will be much higher. Be patient.

http://www.baseballamerica.com...#oy7x9lw2Lq5wHjYf.97

I was just coming off the cuff with my numbers, knowing I was in the ball park..... What I have seen is if you are top 100 Vandy guy and because of how the draft shakes out, you do not get your worth,  you go to Vandy.  Most of the time you will still get your money and your shot.  My son is a soph eligible draft guy, so maybe he goes in June , maybe he goes in 2020, 2021  ..... too early to tell.   

bacdorslider posted:

"Top 62?" That's an interesting cutoff. Hmmm, who would be 62?  Hope to see #62 get a nice draft spot.

bacdorslider posted:
adbono posted:
bacdorslider posted:

It is important to note what those draft figures represent, though. A Vandy commit that is one of the top players in the draft won't be a top 10 round pick if he's not signing. The percentage that sign is so high because clubs don't draft players in the top 10 rounds unless they are almost 100% sure they are going to sign. A kid might be one of the top four or five HS players in the draft, but if he says he plans to go to college and a team can't negotiate a # that they can agree on, he's not going to be drafted that high. 

3and2Fastball posted:

Three of the Top 4 ranked players are Vandy players.  Rocker, Banfield, & Hankins.  I suppose it is possible than Banfield goes the college route if MLB scouts don't think his hit tool is ready (he's a Catcher) but I'd be shocked if Rocker or Hankins, both elite pitchers, don't go straight to pro ball

Arkansas is a school that is getting a rep for over-recruiting.  They "sign" a bunch of underclassmen and then wait & see if the players develop.  As alluded to above they will bring in a bunch of players and then make "cuts" in the fall.  At least, being a Power Five, the scholarship $$$ is guaranteed for 4 years but 99% of players who are told they aren't good enough will transfer out

I don't see that happening any more at Arkansas than anywhere else. Most of their 2016 class is on the roster minus a few that I know for a fact redshirted. Now, the numbers certainly don't add up, but I haven't seen anything to indicate they make a lot of "cuts" to scholarship players in the fall. 

roothog66 posted:
3and2Fastball posted:

I don't see that happening any more at Arkansas than anywhere else. Most of their 2016 class is on the roster minus a few that I know for a fact redshirted. Now, the numbers certainly don't add up, but I haven't seen anything to indicate they make a lot of "cuts" to scholarship players in the fall. 

Root, I'd like to hear your inside take on this...

So Arkansas had only 5 Sr's on last year's 35 man roster.  You say a few freshmen red-shirted and implied they were not on the roster.  So, that leaves roughly 32 players returning and 3 spots to fill.  They recruited 23 with none being top 100 prospects, therefore unlikely high draft picks.  

I know I am way over-simplifying...  some returners may have been told there is not a place for them, some perhaps transferred out for other reasons, grades/injury, a few Jr's drafted, etc.  But that does still seem like a relatively high number considering the size of the returning class.

cabbagedad posted:
roothog66 posted:
3and2Fastball posted:

So Arkansas had only 5 Sr's on last year's 35 man roster.  You say a few freshmen red-shirted and implied they were not on the roster.  So, that leaves roughly 32 players returning and 3 spots to fill.  They recruited 23 with none being top 100 prospects, therefore unlikely high draft picks.  

I know I am way over-simplifying...  some returners may have been told there is not a place for them, some perhaps transferred out for other reasons, grades/injury, a few Jr's drafted, etc.  But that does still seem like a relatively high number considering the size of the returning class.

Math is not a high priority for Hogs.  Here is a little Arkansas math for you :    35 - 5 + 3 + 23 = 35

cabbagedad posted:
roothog66 posted:
3and2Fastball posted:

Also four or five juniors that were drafted and left. I count eight guys gone via graduation or the draft for sure. There will also be a fairly significant number that will transfer out because of lack of playing time. In fact, I remember there were five pitchers who transferred last year to D2's and Jucos. Some of those 23 will not come for a variety of reasons, including a handful every year that commit (maybe even without scholarship money) an then decide the Juco route makes more sense. In any event, you don't see a lot of "cuts" after fall. Guys who signed an NLI are "counters." 

Baseball at the high D1 level is a business and tough decisions have to be made.  The number of commits referred to comes from the Perfect Game database that kids themselves update.  Some kids will "commit" to walk on and be part of the fall 50 or so hoping for a chance at one of those walk on spots on the 35.  Those kids will update their status to show committed to a certain school.  That's one way the commit numbers get so high on those sites. 

Juggling the roster of a D1 baseball program has to be one of the toughest jobs in sports.

adbono posted:
cabbagedad posted:

Florida International among all the Blue Bloods

Arkansas' 23 with no top ten is a much different scenario than Vandy's 23 with 10 top ten

Our West Coast schools should be ashamed

Very true, cabbagedad.  But no school is keeping 23 kids from the same recruiting class.  Not too hard to figure that out !

Take into consideration that this is the HCs second year, usually the year that coaches clean house. 

As far as who signs and who doesn't, I think that coaches know who they want to come to campus, and who they want to sign. Both of these scenarios are among the best schools because they know how to work the numbers the best, that's why they turn out winning programs year after year. Plus this is excellent PR for their program.

Sometimes players arent 100% honest and sign when expected they will show up, so extra recruits are always needed.

It's not going to be a prized top prospect who is asked to not play, but rather those that haven't contributed much as expected.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.