Skip to main content

Since we never did a 2018 college regular season thread thought it would be fun to do a post season one. I know several young men who participate  here will be in the field of 64

Kragen and his DBU teammates keep the streak alive (at 5) with an at large in Fayetteville.  

Post up and good luck to all.  

Last edited by BackstopDad32
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

BackstopDad32 posted:

Agree TPM.  Wouldn’t have been hard to split.  

I was glad to get out of Texas and play somewhere new. Excited to watch the guys challenge with that huge crowd in Fayetteville.   Plus Arkansas’ pitching coach recruited my son to DBU and left ten days before he signed. 

FAU lost this year to them in February in Gainesville.  Know what's ahead. Do you think former pitching coach will give his former student a break?

Didnt this spring and its not gonna happen next week.

You only get better playing against the best!!!! 

They kept all the FL teams in Florida.  I think because it's really expensive to fly out anywhere in FL though I saw one prediction they would go to UGA. It's just too far to travel anywhere from here. Team got back last night from Biloxi, 11 hours by bus because flights were iffy with the weather.

Either way, it's great that the season will last for one more week!

Last edited by TPM
BackstopDad32 posted:

Ha.  I am sure he didn’t but what a great experience for your son. I watched them finish off Rice the other night.  DBU might have needed that. 

You play Southern Miss Friday !Tough, their #1 GUY is hard to beat.  They beat us 3 times this year. FAU was spent out for the tourney but they knew they had to get to the championship. 

Rice has great players too, but they really needed a new coach. Its a young mans game now.

Good luck and enjoy!

2019Lefty21 posted:

Glad to see Coastal Carolina back and hosting. Say what you will about it but it’s still tough for me to accept that the defending national champs didn’t get an at large last year after losing in conference tourney last year.  They were 37-19-1 last year. There are 28 teams in this years field with 20 or more losses!

40 wins/40 or under RPI, runner up in conference tourney gets you an at large berth.  Who you beat in a series, how many 1-50 teams you beat and your conference RPI also important, if not 40/40.

Last edited by TPM

I got UNC hosting 35 minutes from my house, NC State hosting 45 minutes from my house and ECU hosting about an hour and 40 minutes away. I think I am headed to G-Vegas to see the Pirates, Seahawks, GameCocks and the Ohio State Univ. That place will be crazy. I am telling you I wouldn't be surprised to see UNCW win that regional. They are really good. Should be fun.

Oh and there's some pretty good baseball being played in Cary just down the road at the D2 CWS. If it ever stops raining.

Last edited by Coach_May

Well a big “thank you” for a great showing in the SEC Tournament. Now we have to travel across the ENTIRE country to meet up with Oregon State again. JK.  The other two teams in our regional are certainly no slouch either! I’m just glad we are in the post season. Sort of weird that both teams from Louisiana are headed to Oregon. After making my travel plans, I can tell you Corvallis is not an easy place to get to. Just hope that we catch a weather break after the past week. Between rain delays and a fog delay, I am worn out. I can only imagine how the players feel. 6 games in 6 days against the level of competition we faced in Hoover. Sorry to come off with SEC bias, but dang it. We played the #1, #3 and #4 National RPI teams on consecutive days. I guess what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. I guess we will see this weekend. 

I hear ya Younggun. 

EDIT

You should read D1 baseballs comments on some of the placements, and how they graded them. They also wrote about unfair treatment of the mid D1s. Interesting is how they matched up the 16 sites so that you don't have a SEC matchup again.  

LSU RPI was under 40 but their wins were not. So next comes their record and they were 17-17 in 1-50 in group 1. It doesn't matter who you played or won if their metrics aren't met. But yes they made the 64 field.

LSU going to Corvallis is ridiculous.  

If the weather is nice it will be a good trip and yes getting there is a b*tch.

Best of luck to Nick!

Last edited by TPM
TPM posted:

I hear ya Younggun. 

EDIT

You should read D1 baseballs comments on some of the placements, and how they graded them. They also wrote about unfair treatment of the mid D1s. Interesting is how they matched up the 16 sites so that you don't have a SEC matchup again.  

LSU RPI was under 40 but their wins were not. So next comes their record and they were 17-17 in 1-50 in group 1. It doesn't matter who you played or won if their metrics aren't met. But yes they made the 64 field.

Best of luck to Nick!

Thanks for the kind words. I’m actually excited about the trip out west. I have never been to the west coast. There is NO WAY the rain can be worse than what we dealt with last week. Now the temperature, that’s a different story. Saw highs were like 72 and lows 46. Good grief!

BackstopDad32 posted:

Since we never did a 2018 college regular season thread thought it would be fun to do a post season one. I know several young men who participate  here will be in the field of 64

Kragen and his DBU teammates keep the streak alive (at 5) with an at large in Fayetteville.  

I hope you are able to attend the regional, it is a great venue.  We have seats in the 2nd row just to the side of the visitors dugout.  I assume that will be DBU's dugout for the Friday night game.  That should be a great game with the DBU offense vs Sandlin.  We will be rooting for DBU on Friday, but for our Hogs the rest of the weekend. 

younggun posted:
TPM posted:

I hear ya Younggun. 

EDIT

Best of luck to Nick!

Thanks for the kind words. I’m actually excited about the trip out west. I have never been to the west coast. There is NO WAY the rain can be worse than what we dealt with last week. Now the temperature, that’s a different story. Saw highs were like 72 and lows 46. Good grief!

Kragen played in WCC last summer for team just north of Portland. For folks from the south it was the best two weeks in July of my entire life.  I was actually cold at a few games. 

Going to be 105+ here in TX this weekend.  Love that we aren’t coming here to Austin or headed to Lubbock for that reason alone. 

d-mac posted:
BackstopDad32 posted:

I hope you are able to attend the regional, it is a great venue.  We have seats in the 2nd row just to the side of the visitors dugout.  I assume that will be DBU's dugout for the Friday night game.  That should be a great game with the DBU offense vs Sandlin.  We will be rooting for DBU on Friday, but for our Hogs the rest of the weekend. 

Thanks d-Mac.  We wouldn’t miss it for the world. Thankful we can drive it unlike some projections that put us in the Carolinas. Would have been grateful for that too but way bigger price tag to get to and from. 

I was really hoping for Arkansas. I have already heard great things.  Pretty cool for kids from TX to get on the bump at ACC (Clemson this year) or SEC venues.   Hope to bump into Coach Johnson as well.  You always feel indebted to the guy who gave your kid a shot even if they move on  

Any local recommendations would be appreciated.  I plan to enjoy this one.  

FAU went out to play Oregon Ducks this year. It was cold and rainy but for most of the team, it was their first trip to the Northwest.  Beautiful.

Our weather has been a nightmare, so was Biloxi, it took FAU 7 HOURS to complaint one game.

Rain in forecast for our entire state all week. Yuk!

The selection show only showed the last 4 out.....gotta assume son's team was #5....lol      He does have a save and 4 K's in 2 innings against one of the teams that made the tourney so there's that.   Regionals are a stretch....just hoping that for his senior year they can make the conference tourney.  Man, is he ready for summer ball to get going.

BackstopDad32 posted:
d-mac posted:
BackstopDad32 posted:

Thanks d-Mac.  We wouldn’t miss it for the world. Thankful we can drive it unlike some projections that put us in the Carolinas. Would have been grateful for that too but way bigger price tag to get to and from. 

I was really hoping for Arkansas. I have already heard great things.  Pretty cool for kids from TX to get on the bump at ACC (Clemson this year) or SEC venues.   Hope to bump into Coach Johnson as well.  You always feel indebted to the guy who gave your kid a shot even if they move on  

Any local recommendations would be appreciated.  I plan to enjoy this one.  

Dickson street is very close to campus and has a lot of food/bar options. Hammontree’s is my favorite. It’s a grilled cheese and bar restaurant and it is always packed. Hugo’s for a burger.  WoodStone or damgoode pies for pizza.  JJ’s Beer garden is a pretty cool place that just opened in the last year.  They have cornhole, beach volleyball, lots of other games and a two story bar/restaurant.  There is a wing place named Foghorn’s across from Baum that I don’t like but a lot of people do. 

How about Wright St (highest #4 seed) having to go to Stanford?   The committee overall does a good job, but then something like that just makes no sense at all.  I realize that other than Minnesota, there really wasn't anyone close to us here in Ohio...and Kent St and Ohio State also had to go somewhere, but the highest #4 going to the #2 overall seed just doesn't make any sense

We missed the Nat'l Seed but really need to focus on getting past our regional. Been stuck there for the last two years. I think had we beat FSU in that semi, we possible make enough noise to get it but whatever. Glad to be able to see the Tigers play again and already have reservations to Tallahassee if we win and they win. #ClemsonFamily

Shoveit4Ks posted:

We missed the Nat'l Seed but really need to focus on getting past our regional. Been stuck there for the last two years. I think had we beat FSU in that semi, we possible make enough noise to get it but whatever. Glad to be able to see the Tigers play again and already have reservations to Tallahassee if we win and they win. #ClemsonFamily

Go Tigers! Win the regional and beat the 'Noles!

TPM posted:
Shoveit4Ks posted:

Go Tigers! Win the regional and beat the 'Noles!

Good luck! #OwlsUp

Guys , got word earlier today Nick will be starting game one of our regional in Corvallis. I’m a proud dad, but at the same time a nervous wreck. All you other pitcher parents KNOW this feeling!  He started game one at the SEC tournament last week and then got the 2 inning save in the semifinal against Arkansas.

Who knows how he or we will do in Corvallis, but last week should have given them plenty of confidence for the post season. Here we go!

I’ve been watching Bases Loaded most of the day. When it went off I tuned into the Clemson - Morehead State game in the 7th. I have to admit I’m cheering for called strikes for the Morehead State pitcher so I can watch the clown Clemson fan in the front row go off. If he's not the dad of a player he's a serious clown.

Last edited by RJM
RJM posted:

I’ve been watching Bases Loaded most of the day. When it went off I tuned into the Clemson - Morehead State game in the 7th. I have to admit I’m cheering for called strikes for the Morehead State pitcher so I can watch the clown Clemson fan in the front row go off. If he's not the dad of a player he's a serious clown.

Ha, I’m doing the same thing.  That guy lost it a few innings ago. 

younggun posted:

Guys , got word earlier today Nick will be starting game one of our regional in Corvallis. I’m a proud dad, but at the same time a nervous wreck. All you other pitcher parents KNOW this feeling!  He started game one at the SEC tournament last week and then got the 2 inning save in the semifinal against Arkansas.

Who knows how he or we will do in Corvallis, but last week should have given them plenty of confidence for the post season. Here we go!

Welcome to Oregon youngung! I missed the LSU game today (watching those lady Ducks lose in the women’s CWS), but excited to watch the probable LSU vs OSU match-up tomorrow. I hope the weather wasn’t too cool for you and you made it to Corvallis without too much hassle. At least it’s pretty country and the it’s dry outside. Tomorrow might hit 80!

Good luck! I think the both fan bases are pretty pumped for this game.

What’s wrong with Clemson fans? The Morehead hitter takes two bunts off the fingers. Some fan is yellling for the umpire to make him get back in the box while the kid is trying to shake it off. Then the same fan yells, “Bunt again kid. Maybe it will hit you in the head.”

Last edited by RJM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.