Skip to main content

wareagle posted:

Lots of talk I here about overly loud parents or fans at times. I think the husband and wife behind the plate at the Clemson game should read a few of them. I hope they don’t have a kid on the team. lol 

Lol. Those aren't Clemson parents, those are just rowdy Clemson fans!

Go Tigers!

wareagle posted:

Can’t seem to turn it off and go to bed. I’m a sucker for an upset and there’s been a few and a couple more close calls. 

Here with ya. Jeremy Randolph is another members son, Chefmike. Haven't seen him in ages. 

So great seeing pitchers who have had TJS in these regionals.

kandkfunk posted:
younggun posted:

Guys , got word earlier today Nick will be starting game one of our regional in Corvallis. I’m a proud dad, but at the same time a nervous wreck. All you other pitcher parents KNOW this feeling!  He started game one at the SEC tournament last week and then got the 2 inning save in the semifinal against Arkansas.

Who knows how he or we will do in Corvallis, but last week should have given them plenty of confidence for the post season. Here we go!

Welcome to Oregon youngung! I missed the LSU game today (watching those lady Ducks lose in the women’s CWS), but excited to watch the probable LSU vs OSU match-up tomorrow. I hope the weather wasn’t too cool for you and you made it to Corvallis without too much hassle. At least it’s pretty country and the it’s dry outside. Tomorrow might hit 80!

Good luck! I think the both fan bases are pretty pumped for this game.

Thanks k&k. The weather was MUCH warmer than I expected this afternoon. This is a pretty area I will admit. We didn’t play our best, but we did enough to win. Now a huge game against OSU. I’m sure they have revenge on their mind. With our pitching injuries, we really need a win tomorrow. Would be very difficult for us to go through the loser’s bracket. Unfortunately, we are down 2 more arms this weekend. Injuries have taken a toll on us this year. But we are fighting for our lives. GEAUX TIGERS!

younggun posted:

K&k, we just returned from a drive to Newport. My goodness what a beautiful drive and scenery. We went to Yaquina Bay Lighthouse. Watched whales and saw lots of seals. One of the most beautiful areas I have ever seen. 

One of my absolute favorite places on the Coast. Did you dip your toes in the water? It’s much colder than the Atlantic Ocean. I’m so glad you got some time to explore. Be sure to buy lots of stuff since we don’t have sales tax, but don’t try to pump your own gas 😂

baseballhs posted:
2019Dad posted:

This one's hard to believe:

https://twitter.com/CodyAJones.../1003021148660097025

Would never happen in professional baseball.

The coaches decision cost the boys. Don’t get it.

I watched it unfold in disbelief.

not only did Martin bring him back out after the delay, but he left him in after walking the lead off batter. Pitchers were warming in the bullpen and he still didn’t go get him at the 130 pitch count mark after the 2nd walk of the inning that brought the go ahead run to the plate. 

PlayWithEffort posted:
baseballhs posted:
2019Dad posted:

This one's hard to believe:

https://twitter.com/CodyAJones.../1003021148660097025

Would never happen in professional baseball.

The coaches decision cost the boys. Don’t get it.

I watched it unfold in disbelief.

not only did Martin bring him back out after the delay, but he left him in after walking the lead off batter. Pitchers were warming in the bullpen and he still didn’t go get him at the 130 pitch count mark after the 2nd walk of the inning that brought the go ahead run to the plate. 

My bet is that it was an emotional decision.  He was giving his pitcher a chance to finish off his complete game shutout in an NCAA Regional elimination game.  I'm not defending the decision - it was incredibly stupid & he will have an offseason to think about it.  Ron Washington cost the Texas Rangers a World Series victory when he made a similar emotional decision - deciding at the last minute not to put in a defensive replacement in RF for Nelson Cruz in the 9th inning of game 6 in the 2011 WS.  His reasoning ?  He wanted Cruz to be on the field to celebrate the victory.  Cruz misplays a fly ball (that any good OF would catch) and Rangers lose game 6. Then lose game 7.  A good coach knows when to take emotion out of the decision making. 

Does anyone else get annoyed when announcers are uninformed and too lazy to do their homework and show up prepared?

Whomever Richard Cross and Jay Powell are they just explained one of the benefits if the Cape Cod summer league is pro scouts get to see hitters swing wood. What name college summer leagues don’t use wood?

Last edited by RJM
RJM posted:

Does anyone else get annoyed when announcers are uninformed and too lazy to do their homework and show up prepared?

Whomever Richard Cross and Jay Powell are they just explained one of the benedits if the Cape Cod summer league is pro scouts get to see hitters swing wood. What name college summer leagues don’t use wood?

Yes, I find a lot of the college baseball announcers on ESPN and the SEC Network to be very annoying. Full of cliches and generic comments that sound impressive to an uninformed audience - but are way more fluff than substance. 

adbono posted:
RJM posted:

Whomever Richard Cross and Jay Powell are they just explained one of the benedits if the Cape Cod summer league is pro scouts get to see hitters swing wood. What name college summer leagues don’t use wood?

Yes, I find a lot of the college baseball announcers on ESPN and the SEC Network to be very annoying. Full of cliches and generic comments that sound impressive to an uninformed audience - but are way more fluff than substance. 

I realize they have to dredge up sixteen announcing teams. But know something about college baseball and the four teams in your region. 

Two issues with college baseball regionals ...

1) Come up with a definitive definition of HBP.

It’s easy to say, “It was a fastball not a curve. He didn’t have time to react.” But it doesn’t wash when the hitter’s elbow is over the strike zone and doesn’t attempt to move.

2) The games are televised. Use the camera angles you have for instant replay.

Watching Bases Loaded flipping through games I’ve seen several wrong calls on bang-bang plays. MLB replay has proven the umpires get enough calls wrong that could alter a game.

Without checking the stats and histories of pitchers being used today, I’m guessing the scores this late afternoon are what happens when teams good enough to still be alive start facing midweek starters. Undefeated teams who haven’t blown through their bullpens are at a huge advantage.

Last edited by RJM

No need to mention the game. It’s the same whether it’s college ball, high school or LL.

The game is getting out of control. The team is going to be eliminated. The dads are in a coma. They’re silent. Moms can be heard yelling, “Shake it off, you can do it.”

Sure moms! If we can get a couple of touchdowns. 

BackstopDad32 posted:

Unbelievable how we have been treated as parents by Arkansas this weekend.  Regional final and I am sitting in the front row behind our dugout for the game tonight. First class all the way!!!

We were in the section next to you by the kids with the signs.  One kid yelled that Bandy was fast as a Bugatti, that cracked me up.  I know there was some mouthing going on early but it seemed like everything calmed down. It was ugly with Missouri St last year, glad it didn’t get like that. DBU is unreal at the plate and the pitchers combined for a great outing.  We just got a couple of key hits and Kjerstad had the huge catch in LF to rob a HR.  I still can’t say enough about some of the DBU players. Grandberg at the plate and Glowenke with the glove.  Those guys stood out all weekend. DBU is going to break through to the CWS very soon. 

baseballhs posted:
RJM posted:

No need to mention the game. It’s the same whether it’s college ball, high school or LL.

The game is getting out of control. The team is going to be eliminated. The dads are in a coma. They’re silent. Moms can be heard yelling, “Shake it off, you can do it.”

Sure moms! If we can get a couple of touchdowns. 

Seriously?

I’ve already been through the journey myself from kiddie ball through college and with two kids from kiddie ball through college. There are things about the game that is humorous when you look back. I heard a mother screaming to hang in there tonight. I remember once being a being a dad thinking gag that woman. We’re dying here.

When I saw it tonight I remembered it as a player and a parent. There are times you know (as a player and parent) it’s over and you just want it to end rather than endure more innings of having the piss beat out of the team. It can happen to good teams too.

When it’s all over (baseball career) it’s more about the friendship of teammates than the success of the team regardless of how good the team was. When I get together with former teammates no one brings up the homer I hit off X to win the game. I’m more likely to hear about the pitcher who owned me I finally got a hit off only to be picked off two pitches later. It wasn’t funny then. It became funny after that fact. 

Last edited by RJM
d-mac posted:
BackstopDad32 posted:

Unbelievable how we have been treated as parents by Arkansas this weekend.  Regional final and I am sitting in the front row behind our dugout for the game tonight. First class all the way!!!

We were in the section next to you by the kids with the signs.  One kid yelled that Bandy was fast as a Bugatti, that cracked me up.  I know there was some mouthing going on early but it seemed like everything calmed down. It was ugly with Missouri St last year, glad it didn’t get like that. DBU is unreal at the plate and the pitchers combined for a great outing.  We just got a couple of key hits and Kjerstad had the huge catch in LF to rob a HR.  I still can’t say enough about some of the DBU players. Grandberg at the plate and Glowenke with the glove.  Those guys stood out all weekend. DBU is going to break through to the CWS very soon. 

It was a much better ending than last year when we were boat raced in the Regional final.  Son pitched a perfect three innings in an earlier elimination game and was blazing away in the pen both the 7th and 8th.  Selfishly would have loved to see him on the mound in that environment but his teammate did a great job so no need to make a change. 

We were treated well all weekend.  Daughter couldn’t miss anymore school and this is finals week.  Got home at 6:30 this morning and slept a few hours. Thank goodness I work from home.  

For those that don’t know much about DBU Devlin Granberg is an incredible hitter and I would say an even better person.   Unbelievably humble and just a great guy.  Hard to believe at this point one could raise his average almost 40 points in the last three weeks to end his senior campaign at .443.  Hit almost .700 against Regional quality pitching.  

I will be pulling for the Hogs the rest of the way out

Dave Van Horn on Devlin Grandberg

“He reminds me of a right-handed hitting Wade Boggs,” Van Horn said. “He’s like a professional hitter and I think he’s going to hit with a wood bat. I think he’s going to hit his way to the big leagues

“I don’t know how to get him out. We pitched him in, we pitched him out. We tried to get him to chase up. We tried to get him to chase down. And then sometimes you just have to throw it over the plate and hope he hits it at somebody.”

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.