Skip to main content

I think it is time to get hornsr1 some royal and black pom-poms before his cow eats more cabbage. Smile

I'm just kidding you hornsr1....I am a big PW fan and catch several of your games each year but the more I read your posts the more I am pulling for Allen, Wylie and Plano. Smile

"Always remember when you are on top of the world , that the earth rotates every 24 hrs."
Makris, Steve G.
Last edited by cheapseats
PW lost their district starters on the hill. They lost their all-state 2B and LF and their starting SS and C ---- so they're "new" up-the-middle. Their stud 1B will see few fastballs....and they face strong pitching from Wylie and Allen and a strong offensive lineup vs Plano. Those awarding the Wolves a place in the state finals may be guilty of a.....ummmm.....premature evaluation. Cool
Jealousy is a funny thing. Did new players transfer into the district?, because I recall PW had little trouble with the pitching in the district last year.

I don't think anyone rewarded them a spot in the State finals, just respect for winning in 2008.

While the players mentioned will be missed there are still 7 All District (in some form) players returning to the lineup with proven experience in the playoffs. That cannot be said for the other teams. I think that PW would love to be underestimated. Thank you.
hornsr1 - You did have some pretty good seniors with decent bats and arms graduate...didn't you? Coats, Kiser, Holmes, Hughes, Bruce....and pitchers Flora and Johnson?

The folks you are calling jealous in this thread were some of your biggest fans in the post season last year....If you go back and look at this site, you all rec'd plenty of hearty "Good lucks and "Congrats" during your state title run.
quote:
Originally posted by hornsr1:

While the players mentioned will be missed there are still 7 All District (in some form) players returning to the lineup with proven experience in the playoffs. .

Are these the 7 returning All District players?
Ford (1B), Plant (3rd), Blum (Pitcher), Huber (Pitcher), Kahn (OF), Parker (DH), Dillard (OF)
Yes, they are all quality players and I look forward to watching them play.

hornsr1 - who will be in the running to fill the starting catcher role? Will JK be in the mix? He was quite a catcher when I had the opportunity to see him play in his pre-HS days.
Hornsr1, knows PW well, however, I don't think he remembers the competition well. PW played Wylie twice last year and one of those games Feckley pitched. PW won a very low scoring game, 1-0 or 2-1. Feckley is back and will be better. PW beat Allen and Johansen 4-3. If Johansen can command he will be tough to beat. My point is PW won low scoring close games against good teams with good players and those players are back.

Plano almost beat PW at PW. They threw a senior lefty who moved the ball around and changed speeds well. In the end PW won but was fortunate to do so.
Plano has more coming back in the field and at the plate than anybody in the district. They have a solid number 1 pitcher in Partnen. Question, who might step up for Plano on the bump this year? If they get nice surprises on the bump from some newcomers they could be a real hand full.

I do think Plano East is a sleeper. Their hopes will hinge on Barrantine and Arieta. If both pitch well, they will be tough. Line-up doesn't have a lot of pop but they have several hitters back from last years team and adding a few that will be better than some of those that graduated last year (look for a big year from A. Harris).
HEYYYYYYY...thanks Kirk...finally some love for East. It is good to be the underdog. Just some food for thought: East has 7 returning players (non-pitchers) with playoff experience. Someone mentioned the fact that small ball will be a big factor and the one thing that East does have is SPEED. Good luck to everyone and let's not forget our newest members Boyd and Jesuit as they would love to stay under the radar too.
quote:
Kirk,

For the record, PW beat Allen 13-5 @ PW and 4-0 @ Allen.

Didn't mention the game at PW since neither Bolton or Johansen pitched that game. You are probably right regarding 4-0 score at Allen. However, Johansen pitched and if not for walks/HBP and timely hitting, game very easily been 1-0. My point is the district has 4 or 5 teams with players that can affect the outcome in their favor...mainly pitchers:

Allen- Johansen and Bolton
Wylie- Feckley, McClendon and Rice
PE- Barrantine and Arieta
Plano- Parten and 2 Sophmores (don't know their names but their are high hopes)
PW- Blum, Huber, Ellis

All five teams have two solid starting pitchers, so thinking you are going to miss somebodies no. 1 doesn't mean you are going to have it easy.

Hornsr1, keep tooting your teams horn before a game is even played. That usually works out real well. Big Grin
quote:
Kirk,

Agreed that those are some fine players and I am not tooting anything yet. LOL

Just trying to make a point that not much has changed from 2008 in regards to pitching, hitting in 8-5A and that those who had success in 2008, will probably do the same in 2009.

Good luck to all.

I would argue that a lot has changed. Every team in 8-5a has lost hitting (Plano excluded) but a lot of the top pitchers are back...except for Plano West (but Blum and Huber could be best 1 and 2 in district). However, until they play the games, their will be a lot of questions that need to be answered.

Plano is the team this year that Plano West was last year. They have proven position/hitters players but the question for them is pitching? If Plano can answer the pitching question like PW did last year they will be team to beat. IMO!
Last edited by kirk
Horns...how many BIG bats are there anywhere in the district? I only count 1 at PW (actually there is another but he will be too busy pitching and prob not bat which is good news for the rest of the district). Plano has several very good hitters and there is some power you are overlooking. Heck, East has two BIG bats! You made the statement yourself that "decent to average pitching wont beat teams with good hitters." But what happens when you have above average pitching like several of the district teams do facing teams with good hitters? That is why this year will be a lot of fun and no one can really predict anything right now.
Macks,

I think everyone in the PW lineup hits HRs (all returning are All District), that cannot be said for the other teams. This above average pitching you are refering to had little to no effect on the bats that are returning at PW. I am sorry where how did Pano and PE do in the playoffs with these bats you are speaking of in 2008.

Also, to my knowledge PW does not have any returning pitchers that batted in district in 2008 (or are known for their skills at the plate), so I hope this mystery batter appears to help out.

It will be interesting to say the least.
quote:
Originally posted by madmacks:
Horns...how many BIG bats are there anywhere in the district? I only count 1 at PW (actually there is another but he will be too busy pitching and prob not bat which is good news for the rest of the district). Plano has several very good hitters and there is some power you are overlooking. Heck, East has two BIG bats! You made the statement yourself that "decent to average pitching wont beat teams with good hitters." But what happens when you have above average pitching like several of the district teams do facing teams with good hitters? That is why this year will be a lot of fun and no one can really predict anything right now.

1 big bat? Dont jump the gun on anything. Pwest has some very solid hitters that I know can be right there with a "big bat". Ford does pack a lot of punch in his swings. Planos Altobelli can hit for days. Maybe not the most power but he can hurt you with his bat. Jesuit has recent Tulane commit Shortall who, might be pitched around, can put a real charge in the ball. A younger player in Josh Bell can also hit the ball with most varsity players. Wylie will hit.... flat out. Yarbrough has to be one of the best hitters in the area for Allen. Dont know much about East and Boyd but I can say there is more than 1 "Big Bat".
Last edited by DallasDad09
DallasDad,

Please know I did not mean to say there was only 1 big bat in the district. I agree 100% with what you have said and that was my point all along...there are a lot of great hitters in this district that produce for their teams. It may not show up in the HR bracket, but they are just as dangerous. Johnson at Plano, Reneau/Humes at East, along with the ones you mentioned and the numerous that I missed or don't even know that will surface as the year goes on. Just think about what we were saying this time last year...where was Blum/Huber/Johnson/Parker......most of those didnt even know of these young men (although I certainly did). I believe this year will bring the same as there is a lot of talent that we didnt get to see last year as much that have the potential to make the same impact (Ellis/Barrentine/Arrieta/Harris/J. Bell/Mays/Ashby/Black). Again, I missed a lot, but I know these men may very well be the next ones to shine. I have the utmost respect for every one of these young men and wish them all well. I sure hope our district can once again dominate the playoffs...just know it can be any one of these teams and playing each other can only make them stronger during crunch time. GOOD LUCK
Last edited by madmacks
quote:
Macks,

I think everyone in the PW lineup hits HRs (all returning are All District), that cannot be said for the other teams. This above average pitching you are refering to had little to no effect on the bats that are returning at PW. I am sorry where how did Pano and PE do in the playoffs with these bats you are speaking of in 2008.

Also, to my knowledge PW does not have any returning pitchers that batted in district in 2008 (or are known for their skills at the plate), so I hope this mystery batter appears to help out.

It will be interesting to say the least.

Agreed that the Plano West line-up has the best depth around. Opposing pitchers will get no breaks which is what makes this team so good.
Time to dust off the mouse and chime in....My limited productivity at work will now drop to almost zero for the new few fun weeks Smile

Though it is hardly a prediction, my cloudy crystal ball sees many close games. We all expect the "named" players to perform, but the guys lower in the lineup may steal a few unexpected games this year to tighten things up.

All of these kids have played against each other since they were about 5 (and are friends) so I don't see much intimidation. Execution will always be important in those close games, no surprise... Wink It is going to be a great season....good luck you to all of your sons!!
quote:
Originally posted by T-Ball:
Time to dust off the mouse and chime in....My limited productivity at work will now drop to almost zero for the new few fun weeks Smile

Though it is hardly a prediction, my cloudy crystal ball sees many close games. We all expect the "named" players to perform, but the guys lower in the lineup may steal a few unexpected games this year to tighten things up.

All of these kids have played against each other since they were about 5 (and are friends) so I don't see much intimidation. Execution will always be important in those close games, no surprise... Wink It is going to be a great season....good luck you to all of your sons!!

T-Ball,

How is T-Ball son?

By the way, is the limb you crawled out on sturdy enough for you?
Last edited by kirk

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.