Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I can tell you Jesuit will be very young. Matt Shortall is the player to watch. A good catcher with a great arm and a good bat. He will have to be almost all of the offense and will most likely be pitched around in a overall unproven lineup. If some others can hit, then they will be alright. Like everything, pitching and defense is very unproven but has the chance to be a bright spot.

With having played against them and knowing somewhat what they have, I predict Plano West will be good. Big Grin. Big stretch I know.
Last edited by Dtiger
quote:
I can tell you Jesuit will be very young. Matt Shortall is the player to watch. A good catcher with a great arm and a good bat. He will have to be almost all of the offense and will most likely be pitched around in a overall unproven lineup. If some others can hit, then they will be alright. Like everything, pitching and defense is very unproven but has the chance to be a bright spot.

Shortall is a great player, but he is not Jesuit's only. Tanner Kalina (SS), Reid Plauche (CF), and Josh Bell (OF) can all hold their own on defense and at the plate. Pitching will be key for this team to have success, but they have young arms such as Jacque De Gruy who can throw the ball and Nick Jans, who has the tools to be a great pitcher.

However, Plano West also has top young arms (such as Blum, Huber, and Ellis), so they'll be hard to beat.

Allen is always tough year in and year out.

In my opinion, any of the district games are worth going to as this district has loads of talent, and it'll be a fun one to watch and see what plays out this year.
There is solid pitching in 8-5A this year. I think the most consistent offenses will carry their teams to the playoffs.

Some players to watch (I don't know some of the teams very well):

Blum, Ford, Plant, Huber, Kahn -- West
Reneau, Humes, Harris, Wylie, Zmolik -- East
Altobelli, Johnson, Senor, Parten, Lyness -- Central Smile
Feckley, Jordan, Bass -- Wylie
Johansen, Yarbrough -- Allen
Shortall -- Jesuit
Goldglover, I don't know how familiar you are with Jesuit, but I'm slightly familiar with them.

Bell showed signs of greatness last year but is very young and raw. He looked brilliant at times, and much like a freshman at times. The pitching in 8-5A this year will be a lot better than last, and he won't sneak up on anyone. If he fills out like his dad, watch out.

Kalina and Plauche have serious holes in their swing that they could not seem to fix despite the coach's efforts. They dominated subpar JV pitching and looked baffled at V pitching in short stents.

Jacques does show promise but I thought I remember hearing he had some injury? Any confirmation? His growth could be key. I want to stress again that this is something I heard and was at the beginning of the fall. Could be fixed.

Jans needs to learn how to throw a curve/any secondary pitch for a strike.

Believe me, young and unproven. Losing 10 seniors, including the top 3 pitchers and the entire infield besides catcher will do that.

And yes I'm trying to stir the pot so some of these Jesuit boys get mad and do something about it.
For some reason I feel like Allen will turn some heads this season. Cant find a better quiet player than Yarbrough. Johansen has the raw stuff and with a little better command he will take over. Yes you all are right, Jesuit is unproven and coming into a very hard district. Well just see how far leadership can take them. Shortall will have to pull some weight by himself but some younger players (Plauche, Kalina, Bell) will help a bit with the load. Plano West has to be the favorite (at least from me) because of the assortment of talent coming back. Ford is big time and their young arms will be in full effect. Plano will be strong. The few times I saw them last year they could play and there werent many seniors if I recall correctly. Altobelli commands the field and will be a leader. I dont know much about about Plano East and all I really know about Wylie is Feckley and Jordan. Will be fun to watch all year.
Honesty doesn't get me very far.

I don't seem to care. Big Grin But if I gave enough money, I think I'd have a shot!

Make no doubt about it, I want them to do well, and I have no beef with any of them. Nice kids, I evaluate what I see and I tell it how it is (in my opinion Frown ).

Only if that mom can distract the players for the other team.
Last edited by Dtiger
quote:
Goldglover, I don't know how familiar you are with Jesuit, but I'm slightly familiar with them.

Bell showed signs of greatness last year but is very young and raw. He looked brilliant at times, and much like a freshman at times. The pitching in 8-5A this year will be a lot better than last, and he won't sneak up on anyone. If he fills out like his dad, watch out.

Kalina and Plauche have serious holes in their swing that they could not seem to fix despite the coach's efforts. They dominated subpar JV pitching and looked baffled at V pitching in short stents.

Jacques does show promise but I thought I remember hearing he had some injury? Any confirmation? His growth could be key. I want to stress again that this is something I heard and was at the beginning of the fall. Could be fixed.

Jans needs to learn how to throw a curve/any secondary pitch for a strike.

Believe me, young and unproven. Losing 10 seniors, including the top 3 pitchers and the entire infield besides catcher will do that.

And yes I'm trying to stir the pot so some of these Jesuit boys get mad and do something about it.

Dtiger

I'm somewhat familiar with Jesuit baseball. I even got to see Kalina and Plauche play in the summer and caught two of their games in the fall. I've seen great improvement and maturity in their play and especially their swings now. I can guarantee you they'll do big things for the Jesuit program this year. I talked to a dad the other day, and Jacque is almost 100% back so there's no worry there. Bell will definatly continue to mature and have success. They may be unproven, but by the end of the season, D/FW baseball will know their names quite well.
After watching a number of kids this fall in MSL, I think that Plano West will still be dominant in batting and pitching with Blum and Huber. One kid that caught my eye in the fall MSL league, that played big for PW in the playoffs last year, was a sophomore named Blake Parker. This kid can flat hit and run and has been utr. I think he played football at PW. With Ford, Kahn, Dillard, Plant and Parker still in the batting limeup, they are still very formidable.

Look forward to watching.
quote:
I'm somewhat familiar with Jesuit baseball. I even got to see Kalina and Plauche play in the summer and caught two of their games in the fall. I've seen great improvement and maturity in their play and especially their swings now. I can guarantee you they'll do big things for the Jesuit program this year.

I agree with goldglover. These kids have the talent.
quote:
Originally posted by ElDominican:
quote:
I'm somewhat familiar with Jesuit baseball. I even got to see Kalina and Plauche play in the summer and caught two of their games in the fall. I've seen great improvement and maturity in their play and especially their swings now. I can guarantee you they'll do big things for the Jesuit program this year.

I agree with goldglover. These kids have the talent.

Talent yes. There is no doubt about it. How much expierence though? This will play a key part because of the strength of the district. So many good pitchers will be in the district and every night will be a battle. The way I see it is many teams will shy away from Shortall and try to prove the rest of the lineup. This could always change though.

Basically this district will be powerful and should be followed really close. Some great baseball will played on those district nights. Honestly, Plano West wins in the aspect of expierence. To be a part of a state championship shows you what it is like to win. They simply know how to win. Blum, Huber, and Ellis(on the rise) can take care of teams. And What sub par pitcher wants to face Ford? None.

All I can say is that I am excited and it will be fun to watch.
Some talent? No doubt. But they weren't playing against the top this summer or fall and aren't use to seeing guys like Feckley or Blum. An inside source of mine tends to agree with me: potential is there for Jesuit, but when was the last time potential won a ball game? Also, the fall game I saw involved a lot of K's with the same fundamental problem. Jesuit will turn a few heads because Jacques has something, but he must be healthy. Shortall is a beast.
Last edited by Dtiger
DTiger, respect your opinion but I would have to believe it's been a while since you've seen these kids. Don't know them that well but I do know that at least one of the aforementioned (in addition to Shortall) played MSL last fall and I doubt the pitching will be a whole lot tougher than that. Additionally, all mentioned were either frosh or sophs last year. I would have to believe that the physical, emotional and mental growth is huge from the age of 15 to 16 or 16 to 17 for that matter. Oh well, just one way to find out. Let's play ball!
quote:
Talent yes. There is no doubt about it. How much expierence though? This will play a key part because of the strength of the district.

Dallas Dad, experience is very important. Plano West has a step forward on all these teams because they know what they have to do and how to do it. However, how much experience did Evan Longoria or Alexei Ramirez have in the Big Leagues before this year? You can't count anyone out.
quote:
Originally posted by goldglover:
quote:
Talent yes. There is no doubt about it. How much expierence though? This will play a key part because of the strength of the district.

Dallas Dad, experience is very important. Plano West has a step forward on all these teams because they know what they have to do and how to do it. However, how much experience did Evan Longoria or Alexei Ramirez have in the Big Leagues before this year? You can't count anyone out.

Well yes you can. Your argument is very flawed by A)comparing MLB payers to first year varsity players
B)simply not being correct with their "lack of experience"

EVAN LONGORIA.....

NCAA- Played in 114 games at Long Beach State
(was not recruited out of high school although earning 4 VARSITY letters) Attended Rio Honda CC previous to LBS.

429 Abs in college. A few more than any 4 year starter in high school.

Oh these numbers dont include his Cape Cod career previous to his senior year where he earned MVP honors.

MILB

205 games

758 Abs

Led Montgomery Biscuits to championship with a walk off HR.

So before his rookie year with college and MILB combined Evan Longoria played in(with Cape Cod League games and ABs left out)....

319 games

had 1187 ABs

Experience?

--------------------------------------------------

ALEXEI RAMIREZ

Led Cuba Serie Nacional in HRs (20)

Member of Cuba top level National Team (3 seasons)
-Winning a GOLD MEDAL in the 2004 OLYMPICS!

Played for Cuban WBC team and led them to championship against Japan.

I think he has the "experience" and knows a thing or two about winning
Dallas Dad,

I didn't word my analogy very well. My apologies. The NCAA and Minor Leagues are tough competition but it's no where near the competition in the MLB. Longoria went into this last season with NO Major League experience and I'd say he fared well as many others would agree. The same applies with these highschoolers. It's not like they haven't had any experience whatsoever before. It's a new step into varsity, just as it was a new step into the big leagues for Longoria.
It sure seems like Plano is not getting any love this year and is flying under the radar. I think they are going to surprise anyone that takes them lightly as they will be very solid this year with good Pitching, Hitting and Defense.

While the Wylie's (Feckley & Jordan) and Allen's (Yarborough & Johansen) are all great players their Teams don't have much else. Plano West will of course be very solid but with the number of returning Starters (Altobelli, Johnson, Senor, Parten, Lyness, Chaney) at Plano this year. 2009 could be the year for the Wildcats!
Plano has some fine players, but when you have not been to the playoffs since the Clinton administration, it is hard to be considered. I think that Plano will has a chance to make the playoffs (they do have a good coach) but in order to get to the level of PW etc.., you have to have great experience, pitching and and a proven hitting lineup. With Ford, Parker, Dillard, Kahn and Plant back, it will be hard to match, not to mention the pitching of Blum and Huber etc.

Good luck to all.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.