Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by CoachTraub:
I think any discussion about whether or not there is pressure on high school baseball players is a bit ridiculous. I understand both sides of the argument, but the reality is that there is pressure in any situation that the performer perceives pressure. Despite the obvious reasons that high school baseball is not as "important" as say, feeding your family or being president of a company or country, I commonly see athletes tighten up, try to do too much, lose focus, and underperform.

Key word there is perceives pressure. I agree that there is a chance that there is pressure in everything we do in life. You either learn to deal with it or can eat you up.

I never felt pressure performing in front of scouts. In fact I enjoyed it. It made me a better player and I embrased it.
horns,

I have to ask...How many state championships have you won? Being a PW "fan" doesnt count...that honor belongs to the PW kids who actually played the games. And my bet would be that the majority of those kids who are back this year are not feeling this pressure you are talking about (PWB will probably agree)...they feel honored to be walking around with state championship rings on. And if you really want to feel pressure...try flying at supersonic speed over downtown Baghdad in 1991 with bombs exploding just beneath your jet!!! I did!
Interesting note from a players perspective. When talking junior about the Plano / West game I told him the crowd was not as tense as in past years, and both teams seemed looser. He said most of the players on both teams are pretty good friends and have played with or against each other for a long time. He said both sides wanted to win bad, but left it on the field rather than take it off of it. (Even the student sections were commingled).
quote:
Originally posted by Maverick0714:
quote:
Originally posted by hornsr1:
LOL, how many State Championships have you won Maverick?? Don't know that pressure unless you have been there. Don't think that I have ever seen Mansfield mentioned in National Publications etc. Nobody said that they "caved", it was simply Plano's day.

and just so you know... I was in a state championship game my Junior year... we lost but it was fun...Made it to the Regional Finals the next year and it was fun too...

Not sure what "Mansfield" team we are talking about but I know a pitcher in Colleyville that has only lost 4 games in 4 years...... one of the games lost was recently to a very talented "Mansfield" team.

Good Luck.....GO THE DISTANCE Wink
quote:
Originally posted by madmacks:
horns,

I have to ask...How many state championships have you won? Being a PW "fan" doesnt count...that honor belongs to the PW kids who actually played the games. And my bet would be that the majority of those kids who are back this year are not feeling this pressure you are talking about (PWB will probably agree)...they feel honored to be walking around with state championship rings on. And if you really want to feel pressure...try flying at supersonic speed over downtown Baghdad in 1991 with bombs exploding just beneath your jet!!! I did!

MM... i don't know you personally but THANK YOU for serving our country and making it a safe place for our sons to play a game I so dearly love. I hope one day we can meet so I may have the previledge of shaking your hand.
quote:
Originally posted by PAW-FECT:
quote:
Originally posted by Maverick0714:
quote:
Originally posted by hornsr1:
LOL, how many State Championships have you won Maverick?? Don't know that pressure unless you have been there. Don't think that I have ever seen Mansfield mentioned in National Publications etc. Nobody said that they "caved", it was simply Plano's day.

and just so you know... I was in a state championship game my Junior year... we lost but it was fun...Made it to the Regional Finals the next year and it was fun too...

Not sure what "Mansfield" team we are talking about but I know a pitcher in Colleyville that has only lost 4 games in 4 years...... one of the games lost was recently to a very talented "Mansfield" team.

Good Luck.....GO THE DISTANCE Wink
just for the record... AG struck him out on the same pitch the first time. I think he got a little more of the plate than he wanted to on the second AB...

That was an excellent game regardless of the outcome. It was almost like a playoff atmosphere.
quote:
I think any discussion about whether or not there is pressure on high school baseball players is a bit ridiculous. I understand both sides of the argument, but the reality is that there is pressure in any situation that the performer perceives pressure. Despite the obvious reasons that high school baseball is not as "important" as say, feeding your family or being president of a company or country, I commonly see athletes tighten up, try to do too much, lose focus, and underperform.

CoachTraub is absolutely right. Baseball is a game of pressure, period. It's always there, whether you feel it or not, it's there in your mind ready to bubble out at a moment's notice.
quote:
Originally posted by beenthere:
quote:

CoachTraub is absolutely right. Baseball is a game of pressure, period. It's always there, whether you feel it or not, it's there in your mind ready to bubble out at a moment's notice.

"pressure is trying to make a 10 foot putt for $20.00 and all you have in your pocket is $5.00"

Lee Trevino
Wylie over Boyd (5-0) and West over Allen (4-1) last night. Great game on the bump for Wylie from Cameron Rice, 3 hit shutout. That following a fantastic outing from Josh McClendon vs. Allen (1 hit shutout).

Wylie vs. Plano today at 2 pm in Wylie....big game for both teams. Should be a good one! Come watch, I'll see if I can get T-Ball to spring for hot dogs or something!
Last edited by PiratePadre
quote:
Originally posted by Panther Dad:
We're having fun with the college stuff -- spending time with the Tigers this weekend in Waco.

Looks like the Tigers had fun yesterday. Smile

PD - Have you thought about having a College/Pro Reporting Thread anchored at the top like they have (had) in the general forum? It would be nice to hear about the college/pro updates of the Texas players and maybe it would keep some of the Texas forum old timers that have moved on reading/posting in the Texas forum. Just a thought...
Last edited by cheapseats
Panther Dad,

Enjoy the trip to Waco, the ballpark there is a little nicer than Pirate Field!

Part of me is anxious for the next "phase" to start, and part of me is really enjoying days like today. It was a tough day in some respects - after many years and games played together and more recently as opponents, today was probably the last day that T-Ball's son and mine will be on the same high school field together. It made it special to spend time with Coach Senor at the top of the hill watching our kids battle it out on the field. Kind of brings all the memories together at once. It is really remarkable to see the great young men all these "boys" have become.

To all the senior parents in 8-5a (and all others as well), these last few games will go by quickly, good luck to all, and try to savor these last few moments!
Last edited by PiratePadre
PiratePop,
I keep trying to plug the bottom of that hourglass but that sand just keeps slipping through my fingers Frown Senior night in one week. I'll be the one with the bag over my head....No, Planocatdad will be there with me.
Though I hate to ever lose....if we're going to drop one I'd rather it be to Jake. Congrats on a good game you guys came to play!!
While there may have been few walks drawn by the PW batters, the PW bats sounded like they have finally showed some of their 2008 form with Parker (2 dbls), Plant 1 dbl and Kahn one dbl, plus 6 other hits, stolen bases and great defense from the outfielders (Parker dove to make a catch and doubled up the guy at 2nd to end an inning.) It was nice to hear that the team is pulling together.
quote:
Originally posted by Panther Dad:
So, it's down to 5 teams for 4 spots:

Plano 7-4 (Jesuit)
PW 7-4 (Wylie)
Wylie 6-4 (PW, Allen)
Allen 6-4 (East, Wylie)
East 5-5 (Allen, Boyd)

All 5 teams could finish 7-5....now that would be wild.

Go Panthers! Cool

Wow... going to be some great baseball the last week in the district. A really good team is going to be left out.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.