Skip to main content

A little background information on my recruitment. My senior year in 2018 I committed to a private D3. However, towards the end of my Spring high school season the coach that recruited me stepped down. I reached out to a local D2 university that was previously following me. This school gave me a full ride for academics and the coach expressed interest, so I came here in the fall as a walk on. Do to budget cuts (As the CIAA no longer supports baseball in conference), I was informed that the University limited the programs roster spots to 22 players. I was not aware that the coach had also brought in two transfer seniors that also played my position. Making me the 5th man on the depth chart now behind 3 seniors and 1 junior. Following a solid performance in tryouts and inner squad scrimmages the coach left me off the roster stating that I was not going to get playing time behind all the upper-classmen.

I have 2 questions pertaining to this matter. If I'm looking to transfer next year having not played baseball for a year, how do I get noticed by other schools? Is it possible to transfer to a juco following your 1st semester and play in the Spring?

(I know some would ask why transfer if you're there for free and likely will have a roster spot next season. That is something I'm considering, I would just like advice on my other two options. 1.) Transferring to a Juco . or 2.) Transferring to a 4 year institution.)

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome to the forum. I'm also sending you a Private Message. The are some rules that are unique to your situation that you should be aware of (e.g. D2 and D3 eligibility is measures in full-time semesters not calendar years, did you sign a NLI, were you recruited by other schools, etc.). You can also call the NCAA Eligibility Center directly with specific questions.
How will you get seen if you're not playing? You won't be. You'll have to rely mostly on the people who recruited you out of high school. If you ask your current school for permission to contact other schools (and they grant it), and other schools see you in 2019 summer ball, you could get an offer during the summer.
Yes, you can transfer to juco for the spring semester and play during that spring season. I'm pretty sure that you'll have to stay at that school for 1 calendar year before transferring to a 4 year college, which would put you on the field at your 3rd school in the spring of 2020. Again, there are other rules that you'll need to know about, like min GPA, min credits per semester, etc. So if you're going to transfer to a juco, you should probably do that after completing your current semester.
Regarding a 4-4 transfer, I'm pretty sure that you can transfer to another D2 or D3 without sitting out for a year (assuming your current school releases you, and your grades are in order). That includes transferring after your current semester, or if you transfer during summer 2019.
Good luck.

Lots of good info from Midatlanticdad...  I will add that you can also look to any well connected travel coaches, instructors or HS coaches you've had recently that may be able to refer you.  Many JC's are constantly on the lookout for players in the very situation you describe (to pick up for spring semester).  You may also inquire about NAIA schools.  I can't speak specifically to the rules but I think there may be more flexibility and I know many of those schools also bring in players for spring semester.  And, there are many NAIA's in your region.  

Be aware and prepared that the more likely opportunity in situations like this comes up at a program with less depth and is perhaps less competitive than your original destination.

cabbagedad posted:

Lots of good info from Midatlanticdad...  I will add that you can also look to any well connected travel coaches, instructors or HS coaches you've had recently that may be able to refer you.  Many JC's are constantly on the lookout for players in the very situation you describe (to pick up for spring semester).  You may also inquire about NAIA schools.  I can't speak specifically to the rules but I think there may be more flexibility and I know many of those schools also bring in players for spring semester.  And, there are many NAIA's in your region.  

Be aware and prepared that the more likely opportunity in situations like this comes up at a program with less depth and is perhaps less competitive than your original destination.

Appreciate your incite especially in regards to NAIA, I hadn't considered that before.

AthleteDD posted:

I know some would ask why transfer if you're there for free and likely will have a roster spot next season. That is something I'm considering, I would just like advice on my other two options. 1.) Transferring to a Juco . or 2.) Transferring to a 4 year institution.)

If you're not a pro prospect the goal is to get an education at the lowest possible cost. You're going to school for free. Baseball is great, but most kids are using it as a means to reduce the cost of college and play a few more years. If you had a 10% scholarship I would be giving different advice, but I would have a very hard time walking away from a free education.

It sounds like you will be in a decent position on the depth chart once the seniors leave. I'd stick it out, especially with the potential to join a new conference - roster increase? (This part confused me). Either way, transfer options are going to be very limited. The only thing better than making the roster would be not paying a dime for college

Assuming you and your family are okay with you walking away from an academic scholarship then you may want to see if you are a fit for a JUCO.  Probably a tough task at this point but if your coaches don't have an opportunity for you they may assist you in finding a landing spot that works for you.  Many coaches seem to have relationships with specific JUCOs.  They may be okay with assisting you to land at a JUCO then recruit you later if you are a fit and bridges are not burned.  There are many coaches who do have their players interest in mind.   Coaches obviously have a goal of  winning but many are not selfish and do have a desire to see you succeed.

It cost you nothing to have an adult conversation with your coaches to see what they may be able to help you do.  If they convince you that you are the right guy for next year then they should help you land on a Summer team that will get you ready to win a job in the Fall of next year.  If they don't seem to have you in their plans they you have to decide between school and baseball.  If you have a club team it will provide some opportunity to play in the Spring. 

Do well in school academically to keep your options open.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.