Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks FD! I think we're gonna need all the luck we can get. Rowlett has a pretty strong squad. If we can make the plays, we have a chance, but we can't give them anything. We have to make them earn it.

You gave them a good run, but came up a little short. I was pulling for you guys. There's always next year as the saying goes!!

Come see us if you can convince the girls you need a fix!
Area code baseball tryouts are sponsored by various major league teams by "area code".

So, in our area the sponsor is the Texas Rangers.

The importance of the invitation means that a major league scout has requested you be invited to the tryout.

And, for a young 15-16 year old ballplayer, that is very exciting. (Mom and Dad, too)

It is paid for by the major league team and there is no cost to the participant.

An area code team is selected from the participants. That team goes to California for the Area Code tournament.

There will likely be a couple of hundred scouts at the tryout including college recruiting coordinators. So, it is a good place to be "seen" not only from an MLB perspective, but for college recruiters as well.

If you make the team that travels to California, you get to play in front of several hundred scouts there, again.

At the tryout, players are timed in the 60, throws from the outfield are clocked and evaluated, pitchers throw and are clocked.

Catchers are timed on their throws to second.

Hitting is also evaluated.

Cuts are made throughout the day and two teams of players remain for an "evaluation game" at the end of the day.

The team that goes to the California Area Code tournament is then selected from that group.

It is an excellent way for a young kid with outstanding baseball skills that can not afford the more expensive commercial showcases to have his baseball skills evaluated.

Probably about 200 participants at the tryout, so it takes a long time to get all the players their opportunites, easily a 10-12 hour day.

It is certainly not fatal to your baseball career if you don't make the team, but when you see ballplayers that you know are very, very good get cut, you begin to get an idea of just how good you have to be to get to the next level.

The good news is that after the scouts establish a players benchmarks, they continue to follow players to monitor their development.

There are many players that never get invited that do well. There are players that do not make the area code team that do well.

There are players that make the team and go to California that never play beyond high school.

If I was interested in helping young ball players obtain their baseball goals, I'd know about Area Code.
Last edited by FormerObserver
quote:
So this particular scout in your particular area has extended an invitation on his findings/evaluation or from reference?

It is my understanding that a MLB scout gives your name to the scout running the tryouts and then he decides and gives invites.

I would like to add that it is great exposure and worth going, but the teams were pretty much pre determined. imo Still great exposure.
Last edited by Bighit15
quote:
Originally posted by Bighit15:
quote:
So this particular scout in your particular area has extended an invitation on his findings/evaluation or from reference?

It is my understanding that a MLB scout gives your name to the scout running the tryouts and then he decides and gives invites.

Whether it is good for the player or not, if I was a scout for a big league club and found a player that I really liked the last thing I would want to do would be to show him to my competing 29 other big league teams and their scouts.

Now obviously that doesn't benefit the player, but I have never really understood this "Area Code" concept.

A major league scout turns in a player he likes to a competing major league scout. Then a whole bunch, like 100 Big Grin, major league scouts and college coaches show up for the event.

I think anything that gives a player an opportunity is great, just never understood the whole hype on this "Area Code" stuff.

How did players get found before "Area Code" games?
Ken, are you going to drag this out or include your objections to this thing? Big Grin Either way, I'll agree beforehand that the timing of the tryouts -- and further team play -- are tough on select teams, who have scheduled their seasons based on having complete teams at tournaments, during league play, etc.

It is obviously an honor to be selected and good exposure. After all, one of the purposes for summer select is to gain exposure. The questions are -- how will it impact your team? -- and can you gain such composure through your select group?

Congratulations to those that are invited. Smile

OOPS, you're quicker than me!
Last edited by Panther Dad
quote:
Originally posted by Panther Dad:
Ken, are you going to drag this out or include your objections to this thing? Big Grin

I have no objections. I have no concerns. My goals are to catch as many crappie each night and take care of my new young one.

I am a retired select ball coach trying to grasp what I have been missing all along. Hopefully my questions can help me conquer my quest. Big Grin
Last edited by Ken Guthrie
quote:

After all, one of the purposes for summer select is to gain exposure.

In my opinion, that is a parent imposed slogan. If my son choses and is lucky enough to play the game at a high level, my approach to teaching him about exposure would be this.....

no matter where you play, who you play with, or who you play for.........each day you lace up your spikes you are being exposed. No one event, one venue, or one tournament can ever replace how you perform on a daily basis.

Again, this is no knock on these players invitation as recognition for their talents. I can certainly appreciate that.

I just have never understood all the hype about one particular day each year that is supposed to open the gates for the rest of a players career. Roll Eyes
quote:
Originally posted by SWAC:
I thought you were retired Gut? I see you are at it again. Smilebighair When are we starting you son's select team so we can get him ready for Area Code Tryouts in 2023?

Sorry man, no more coaching for me for a while.

First time in my life I have had a summer without baseball. The fish are bittin', the baby is happy, and the grill is cooking good.

Miss the boys every once in a while but I still get phone calls to get caught up.

Besides, if Gage plays ball, I want to be one of those crazy parents in the stands instead of coaching. You know, where all the fun is.
quote:
Whether it is good for the player or not, if I was a scout for a big league club and found a player that I really liked the last thing I would want to do would be to show him to my competing 29 other big league teams and their scouts.

My understanding is that at some trigger point, the player cards are turned into the MLB scouting bureau and made available to all teams.

quote:
I just have never understood all the hype about one particular day each year that is supposed to open the gates for the rest of a players career.

Obviously.
quote:
Originally posted by momandcpa:
I can say from my son's experience last year that the Area Code Tryouts gave him the MOST exposure of ANY other event/showcase/tournament he has ever attended. Whether or NOT you make the official team or not, the day was well worth the time and effort! There is absolutely NO doubt in my mind that a fair number of the D1 letters he has received were a direct result of the Tryouts. Again, I feel blessed he has been selected again this year.

Perfect. I appreciate your response. Well said and understandable.

Next question if you may......

What if, for an unfortunate reason, your son did not perform up to par on this particular day? Do you feel the letters would have been less obtainable?
quote:
no matter where you play, who you play with, or who you play for.........each day you lace up your spikes you are being exposed. No one event, one venue, or one tournament can ever replace how you perform on a daily basis.

Ken I think you might have answered your question with your quote, you see I think that the kids we are referring to that has recieved these invites, have been DOING what you would tell your son all along and this is what got them noticed to recieve the invite????? Hope I make sense.
quote:
Originally posted by FormerObserver:
momandcpa and the rest of ya,

You made the right decision for your son to accept the invitation to Area Code tryout.

I'd make it a point to accept ANY invitation to a legitimate MLB tryout.

You don't owe me or Ken Guthrie an explanation...............

You are correct FO, nobody owes me or anyone an explanation for anything they decide.

Although, I thought this was a discussion board and the was the point. Roll Eyes
quote:
Originally posted by momandcpa:
I can honestly say that he didn't do his best (whatever that is) last year. As soon as we left the fields, he said, "I wish I could go back in there and give it a go again." I guess they saw potential, though... who knows?

Like FO said, I'm positive that there are MANY (make that countless) talented baseball players that have never attended the Area Code Tryouts. I'm speaking only from my son's experience.

Hope that helps...

It does. Appreciate your response again.

Congrats on your invitation and good luck to your son.
There are probably as many reasons scouts nominate a player to be on the team as there are players.

There's a kid that received an invite on my son's high school team that really did nothing this year on the field (did not even make "All District - 1st or 2nd team or even "honorable mention"). But he has tons of potential - size (6'3"), arm strength, and extrememly FAST. It's hard for some to understand why he got an invitation but I can see why a scout would want to see him in this environment and against players of this caliber.

I understand where Ken is coming from too though. This thing is definitely over-blown - if you get an invitation it is no guarantee of success at the next level and if you don't get an invite it is no reason to hang up your spikes and quit the game.

Good luck to everyone who attends.
Ken,

Now that we've reached a point in the discussion where some are tuning out, or looking for fireworks -- can you be more specific about your objections, if any, to this type of event? Are you concerned about kids not looking their best? Are you concerned that this opportunity will bring with it unrealistic expectations? Do you see it as a risk for players that have obviously made an impression on at least one baseball guy?

I am truly interested in your overall impression of Area Code tryouts, etc.

-PD
Former Observer SAID that everything for Area code team members is paid for by the Sponsoring pro teams.

That would be an incorrect statement. The parents are responsible for evrything. FOOD, TRANSPORTATION, MOTELS and everything else that cost money.

It is an NCAA violation for any pro team to pay for anything for a high school player until he signs a PRO contract.

So you parents that have sons who got an invite to tryout. Well SAVE YOUR MONEY. If they make the team that go's to Long Beach>>>> It will be costly!
Area Code tryouts are not solely a result of the scouts. The high school coach is also involved based on his recomendation. It also isn't based on who puts up the best stats. There will be as many as 300 participants at each workout and then that will be carved down to 20-22 players. However, if a player has already been labeled by the area scouts as a top of the draft player for the 07 draft (example, Kyle Drabek in 05, but instead chose to attend AFLAC) then, of course, he would be ear marked for the team already.

What it is based on is
1. Arm Strength
2. Speed
3. Bat Ability
4. Raw bat power
5. Fielding
6. Athletes
7. Instincts
8. Game awareness
Last edited by Vance34
quote:
Originally posted by Vance34:
Area Code tryouts are not solely a result of the scouts. The high school coach is also involved based on his recomendation. It also isn't based on who puts up the best stats.

I probably should not say this; But, here goes. This sounds like the parent(s) that kisses the High School coaches .... the best will get their son nominated and possibly selected to attend. It basically comes down to POLITICS !!!!! in MOST cases.
I have heard of "some"(not in all cases) of the selections and their stats and attitude definetly did not warrant a selection. IMO. The players will know when they get out their and see some of the players and know who should be their and who shouldn't.

Good luck and congrats to the players that "really" deserved it. The Parents and Players know
who they are.
DFWDAD....not the case on the kissin part. There are Politics in all phases of life. It has nothing to do with being deserving....It has everything to do with having TOOLS. Who cares what the players know? Not the scouts. There will be over 200 college coaches at the workouts along with all 30 major league teams.

If you want your son to attend then he can be in the workout. No one gets turned away. SO it doesn't mater if you get an invite letter or not. Take them, sign them up, and watch them workout, just be prepared to handle the embarassment that you may inherit while watching your son workout.

Then again, he may earn a spot on the team, or a college coaches interest.

Remember John Danks, 1st rounder from Round Rock, well he didn;t make the area code team. BIG DEAL, he became a 1st rounder by the following draft year.
Last edited by Vance34
My son attended the Area Code tryouts last year over at TCU. Here are some of my thoughts and points:

1. Saw alot of college coaches at the event - great exposure. I am sure pro scouts were at the event.
2. Last year it was raining - son got to run the 60 and hit 10 balls in a cage. Because of the rain, he never got to field. It ended shortly after lunch. Never heard from them again.
3. Pretty much walked away wondering how they did their picks without watching the boys field, etc. My guess is that they already had the team selected before the tryout. Hey it was free - well worth the time.
4. I think the selection is done pretty much off reputation. Randy Taylor (the Ranger scout) already knows the big names (some of which are hyped up). Pretty much these reputations come from the very high select teams in the area. Some reputations also come from your high school play - but mostly from your select play.
5. If I was a parent - I would not hang my hat on the area code tryouts. It is just 1 day. Your son had also be getting serious exposure elsewhere - college camps, showcases (like Perfect Game), select ball, etc.
6. I do think it is an honor to be invited to the tryouts.

In closing, my son is now playing college ball. In the end, the area code experience had hardly anything to do with him getting to the next level of play.
quote:
Ken,

Now that we've reached a point in the discussion where some are tuning out, or looking for fireworks -- can you be more specific about your objections, if any, to this type of event? Are youconcerned about kids not looking their best? Are you concerned that this opportunity will bring with it unrealistic expectations? Do you see it as a risk for players that have obviously made an impression on at least one baseball guy?

I am truly interested in your overall impression of Area Code tryouts, etc.

-PD

1. can you be more specific about your objections, if any, to this type of event?

This answer will come at the end.

2. Are you concerned about kids not looking their best?

As a scout, I could care less what a kid did in a one day workout. But that is me. One day of skills, does not show me as a coach or scout, what kind of baseball player the kid is.

3. Are you concerned that this opportunity will bring with it unrealistic expectations?

I would'nt say I am concerned, but I would say it is hard for me to understand the amount of hype a one day workout gets from parents and players.

4. Do you see it as a risk for players that have obviously made an impression on at least one baseball guy?

I think you are asking that since a particular scout/coach has already shown the promise, why take a chance on eliminating that good impression on a particular scout/coach.

If the scout/coach is good, trust me, he will see a player several times. It is rare that a player is given a worth while opportunity on a one time skills workout.

5. I am truly interested in your overall impression of Area Code tryouts, etc.

This and question #1 go together. I do not necessarily object to the "Area Code" event or any others like it. My objection, or better word......disbelief, is that a skills workout can benefit a player as much as it has been made out to do.

If an event presents an opportunity I think that is a good thing.

How could it be bad thing one might ask? Example....

Johnny Joe from 2A Brokeback High School gets a invite to "Area Code".

Johnny pocesses some baseball skills....good arm, strong, nice body type, ect. Johnny Joe goes to AC and lights up the radar gun @ a smooth 91 mph on his 5 pitches out of 15 in the bullpen. Johnny gets an invite to play in "the game" at the end of the day as a bonus. Johnny throws and inning and never establishes that he is a good pitcher, but non the less retires the side with a broken bat dribbler and two fly outs.

Now the kid gets letters every day like coupon books at an elderly ladies house.

This is where I think the thoughts are skewed.....these schools may or may not be interested. Fact is there are more Johnny Joes than said scouts that attend these events. The letters are great, but what do they really do.

If it truely opens a door and an opportunity is created.........I say right on and that is really a great situation.

But I have to believe, for every Johnny Joe, there are hundreds more that don't gain a darn thing from this one day event.

The other example is Super Star Stan from #1 ranked Booster Club High gets the invite.

Trust me, Super Star Stan has been seen many of times by the people who can help create an opportunity. It is in this situation a one day workout presents a possibility of more harm than help.

Again, please, don't misunderstand me. I believe an invite constitutes that a particular player has shown some level of talent and or promise. I, for what it's worth, extend my congratulations. I think it's excellent.

But, again, I just have never understood the hype. Maybe it's that little MLB logo on the letter that sparks the fire.

Maybe I'm a purist. Maybe I like to see things done the old fashion way. That is, go out and play the game. Play the game and enjoy it. If you are good enough and are passionate about it, someone will notice. It is then that a door may be opened but................

EACH PLAYER CREATES HIS OWN OPPORTUNITIES!

That is what I wish each player and family understood.

Anyhow, this horse is dead. Sorry for the lengthy post. Maybe one day I will get over all of what I think is a mess with amatuer baseball today. Big Grin

Again, congrats to the invites.
Your comment, "if I was a scout, I could care less what a kid looks like in a one-day event" (perhaps paraphrased a bit) ---- if that is the case, then why does MLB attend this event -- across the board, in numerous venues? Simple. Because it is a collection of kids and the day is setup as an evaluation. Is it not possible that this is the START of a journey for some kids?

You are a baseball purist, we get that from your posts. And most here appreciate that you represent that stance consistently. But kids are noticed at ML tryouts all the time. They have been occurring for decades, although the traditional tryout involves a single team.

I think you see Area Code as a shortcut of sorts. But someone made the comment earlier and I think it is right on ---- the kids that play the game the right way -- those that you'd love to coach and watch ARE the kids that attend this event....with a few obvious exceptions (there are always exceptions).

This is one weekend in a kid's career. It is unlikely that a scout will close the door on a kid with real potential, even if he has an off day.

JMO.
Wasting another post in Margarita land.....

But, nice post Ken.

My opinion from reading your posts is that you may be overreating to the amount of emphasis placed on the Area Code by parents.

And, remember, for the parent of a 15-16 year old that is the oldest child, it is completely new, and they don't have the benefit of your experience and hindsight.

It is much easier to undertand and appreciate your post after you have been through the process.

And, I think you most recent post sheds some light on it for the parents in that position.

quote:
I had never heard of Area Code until the posting. I'm too scared to say anything one way or the other.

From a different perspective.
It's not about the skills. It's about the tools. The reason all the scouts attend is because they can see 300 players all at 1 spot and they can make comparrisons with another player that is there. Its just a way to evaluate TOOLS.

They run the 60 yard dash......SPEED.....A TOOL

They throw from the outfield, infield, catcher...ARM STRENGTH/ GLOVE WORK......2 TOOLS

They hit with a wood bat in batting practice.....CONSISTENT HARD CONTACT/ POWER, strength.......2 TOOLS

Then the scout can gage those tools against everyone else there. Obviously, the best TOOLS GUYS move to the top of the list.

Playability and instincts are important to, but you have all summer and fall and spring to get a handle on that.

It's just a workout and a way for scouts to mingle with players and get to know their makeup and character. It's the 1st meeting and hand shake for most of them. It's a kid looking a scout in the eye's when he shakes his hand and respecting what he does. It's his ability to show how he was raised. It's the 1st phase of a long long interview that will take a year until the 07 draft.
quote:
It's not about the skills. It's about the tools. The reason all the scouts attend is because they can see 300 players all at 1 spot and they can make comparrisons with another player that is there. Its just a way to evaluate TOOLS.

They run the 60 yard dash......SPEED.....A TOOL

They throw from the outfield, infield, catcher...ARM STRENGTH/ GLOVE WORK......2 TOOLS

They hit with a wood bat in batting practice.....CONSISTENT HARD CONTACT/ POWER, strength.......2 TOOLS

Then the scout can gage those tools against everyone else there. Obviously, the best TOOLS GUYS move to the top of the list.

Playability and instincts are important to, but you have all summer and fall and spring to get a handle on that.

It's just a workout and a way for scouts to mingle with players and get to know their makeup and character. It's the 1st meeting and hand shake for most of them. It's a kid looking a scout in the eye's when he shakes his hand and respecting what he does. It's his ability to show how he was raised. It's the 1st phase of a long long interview that will take a year until the 07 draft.

So, is AC more interested in skills based on the opportunities at the pro level? From that post I have to assume so.
The area code is interested in the best high school players available who have tools and game awareness for the next years draft. They also will sprinkle in a few rising Juniors if roster spots allow as much.

Its important to note that skills and tools are 2 different things. A 95 MPH fastball is a TOOL and the pitchers ability to throw it to the spot he wants to is a SKILL. There are many skilled players who can flat play the game BUT lack GOOD TOOLS necessary to be a high draft pick or even a draft pick at all. A pitcher who can really carve with good control and command but only throws 82-84 MPH would have a skill but not a FB TOOL since major league avg. is 89-91. Now if he is 15-16 and is 6'5" then obviously he would go on the list to watch to see if he will get stronger. However, arm action and delivery make it eaier for a scout to determine that.
quote:
Its important to note that skills and tools are 2 different things. A 95 MPH fastball is a TOOL and the pitchers ability to throw it to the spot he wants to is a SKILL. There are many skilled players who can flat play the game BUT lack GOOD TOOLS necessary to be a high draft pick or even a draft pick at all. A pitcher who can really carve with good control and command but only throws 82-84 MPH would have a skill but not a FB TOOL since major league avg. is 89-91. Now if he is 15-16 and is 6'5" then obviously he would go on the list to watch to see if he will get stronger. However, arm action and delivery make it eaier for a scout to determine that.

Agreed. Pros are looking at tools, more so than skills. They believe they can develop talent so they assess plays on a "projected" perspective, not just current.
However, here is interesting question. What kind of assessment would they do today on a 17 year-old Pete Rose? How about the former Ranger leftfielder, Rusty Greer?
Vance,

Thanks for the description.

Although I may not portray it, I do understand the difference between a skill and a tool. Wink

So, the AC event is basically like a combine that NCAA football does but at the high school level?

A player, with "tools", has a chance to showcase their "tools" in front of several different pro scouts with the assumption that college coaches will also be present.

Now this is where you have lost me.

If I were a scout, and I found a relatively unknown player with tools, what benefit would it be for me as a major league scout to bring this player to show his "tools" in front of my competitors?
Ken, how about just making your point? Help some of us dumb ole' country boys & conserve those bits & bytes.

Are you trying to say that the best players are not invited to AC, because scouts think they can "hide" them?

Do you believe that a player good enough to be drafted (with the realistic expectation of signing) can remain hidden from all but one scout?

If the former, then a little research should reveal if the high draft picks attended AC games or not.
quote:
Originally posted by Texan:
Ken, how about just making your point? Help some of us dumb ole' country boys & conserve those bits & bytes.

Is this a discussion forum or not?

quote:
Are you trying to say that the best players are not invited to AC, because scouts think they can "hide" them?

Don't know exactly where you got that from my posts but to answer directly....no.

quote:
you believe that a player good enough to be drafted (with the realistic expectation of signing) can remain hidden from all but one scout?

The chances are very slim.
Of course it is a discussion forum. But rather than sitting back & playing 20 questions, I would just like to see you come out & say exactly what is on your mind. Isn't that discussion as well? You obviously have some strong feelings on the subject. And I would just like for them to be put out on the table.

The reason I asked about "hiding", is because of your statement:
"If I were a scout, and I found a relatively unknown player with tools, what benefit would it be for me as a major league scout to bring this player to show his "tools" in front of my competitors?"

To me, there is a pretty strong implication here that you think someone could be hidden. If you didn't think that, then why would this question even be posed?

I'm truly interested in your thoughts. I may or may not agree with them once they are aired. But I am interested in them. So as I said earlier, help this dumb ole' country boy out and just come right out & say what you think. Make your points.

If you want to keep playing the Socratic method 20 questions with Vance, that's fine. But I would appreciate a more direct approach. These old bones are tired & the brains cells aren't going at full horsepower...
"What kind of assessment would they do today on a 17 year-old Pete Rose? How about the former Ranger leftfielder, Rusty Greer?"

Well Old DALLAS, I'm not so sure you can make that evaluation becasue I'm sure PETE ROSE and RUSTY GREER would be wanting at least a MILLION DOLLARS to sign today if they were HS kids. Then they would be going to college. Then they would sign as college Juniors or Seniors and then spend an additional 3-4 years in minors and then they wouldn;t have played as many years in big leagues as they did.

See how confusing you've made things Smile

They would have been picked today in about the same area that they were pcked in way back then. OF COURSE thats only if we didn't already know what tpe players they turned out to be. Which NO scout could get from any crystal ball.
"So, the AC event is basically like a combine that NCAA football does but at the high school level?"

YES

"A player, with "tools", has a chance to showcase their "tools" in front of several different pro scouts with the assumption that college coaches will also be present."

Not several, ALL 30 TEAMS! NO ASSUMPTION, there have been over 200 college coaches at the last 10 years of AC workouts here in TEXAS.

"If I were a scout, and I found a relatively unknown player with tools, what benefit would it be for me as a major league scout to bring this player to show his "tools" in front of my competitors?"

Everything is Relative Wink Glad you finally answered the question. SCOUTS do not invite the kids. ANYONE is free to attend. If a HS coach recommended a player to a scout THAT player got an invite letter.

In front of Competitors, well lets see, and you asked for it so here it is. Parents pay in excess of 10-20 THOUSAND DOLLARS a summer to play select baseball and to travel on the showcase circuit. Your best players in the country probably only sleep in THEIR beds only about 10 -15 nights the entire summer. Dixie ball and Legion ball has long been gone. So if you don't see the player now some one lese will see him later.

Don't forget this is the era of the AGENT/ ADVISOR for any kid who may get drafted. EVEN in the 50th round. So those Advisors will make sure that the kid gets to all the right showcases. SO KEN, go be a scout and hide a player. The player and the parents will hate you and will probably not sign with your team. Because an agent will get him and get him to a good school because you drafted him and now EVERYONE knows about him. The agent says go to school and you'll get more money because now everyone will be after you once they see you.
So Vance34

It did rain 2 years ago and I agree there is not much they could do with a wet ball. With the rain, the tryout was significantly curtailed.

So my question is how did they select the players who made the team. It cetainly did not come from the tryouts.

Personally I think they pretty much have the selections before the tryouts. The tryouts are really geared towards finding that magical or surprise pitcher.

For most everyone else it is an opportunity to workout in front of scouts, etc. - not much hope in making the team.
quote:
Everything is Relative Wink Glad you finally answered the question. SCOUTS do not invite the kids. ANYONE is free to attend. If a HS coach recommended a player to a scout THAT player got an invite letter.

Interesting. Wink

quote:
So if you don't see the player now some one lese will see him later.

DING, DING, DING.

WE HAVE A WINNER.

So if you don't attend AC and you have tools or a skill, someone will definately see you later.

Then what is all the hype about?

quote:
SO KEN, go be a scout and hide a

I have never once posted anything in my posts that would suggest a player could be kept a secret. That is my point, there are few secrets these days. My questions were to get to this point in discussion. Players get watched and followed. It doesn't take the AC event to open the magic doors of opportunity. Does it help? In that rare occassion like I explained earlier. But it is rare a scout finds a new talent that he did not already know about or would not have seen anyway. Again, like I have said from the beginning, I never understood the hype.
quote:
Originally posted by Texan:
To me, there is a pretty strong implication here that you think someone could be hidden. If you didn't think that, then why would this question even be posed?

Please read latest post responding to Vance. Hope that helps. Wink

quote:
But I would appreciate a more direct approach.

And I can appreciate your request, and actually I would rather do it your way. But sometimes when I post directly what I think, parents get offended. But I will certainly try...........

Again, congrats to the kids that were honored with an invite. I'm sure this means you are in the top tear of players in DFW.

So here it is Texan. Watch the response this gets instead of how I've done it.........

AC event does't mean squat in the reality of scouting or recruiting. Like I mentioned, it may open a door on that rare instance. But other than that players today are seen numerous times through team events.

Truth is, a pro scout will take any opportunity to find that diamond in the rough. But trust me, if a scout is following a group of players, he would love the opportunity to see an up close workout as many times as he could. Players are picked apart over and over by pro scouts. Again, there are rare instances, but the norm would say one event on one day is not enough.
College coaches may not have the opportunity to see a kid play more than once or twice. So, what are the key factors in the college recruiting process? Recommendations? A campus camp or tryout? High-profile summer tournaments? Word-of-mouth drawing coaches to HS games?

This site lays out a nice recruiting timeline....but the key "event" is different for everyone. Even so, there is a process that should be considered.
quote:
Former Observer SAID that everything for Area code team members is paid for by the Sponsoring pro teams.

Here is what I said.
quote:
Area code baseball tryouts are sponsored by various major league teams by "area code".

So, in our area the sponsor is the Texas Rangers.

It is paid for by the major league team and there is no cost to the participant.

quote:
SCOUTS do not invite the kids. ANYONE is free to attend. If a HS coach recommended a player to a scout THAT player got an invite letter.

Who sends the invitation?

And you are correct, Ken.

That last post will bring some response from others.

quote:
AC event does't mean squat in the reality of scouting or recruiting

It does mean more than "squat" to the 15-16 year old player first beginning the process and his parents.

Your perspective is confusing because here is likely the first piece of infomration with an MLB logo on it, and you are telling them it is unimportant.

To the 15-16 year old player and his family you seem to be saying that MLB tryouts are not important, because you believe they are placing too much emphasis on the single event.

You might be interpreting their initial excitement as over emphasis.

You are correct that the Area Code tryout is not a significant event in relation to the overall process of moving on to higher levels of baseball.

It is only one tryout among many that will occur.

Players are "seen" many, many times before they are drafted.

And, most realize, particularly after that day of Area Code tryouts, that they have likely just embarked on a long journey.

And, after going through that process with my son, with the knowledge that hindsight brings, and if, my second son were to receive an invitation on the Texas Rangers letterhead inviting him to the Area Code tryouts, he's going.
quote:
So, what are the key factors in the college recruiting process?

Here's a couple never mentioned.

In a way, that question on the questionaire, "Name the best players you have played against"

Players on the college team refer other players.

You never know WHO is watching.

Texas Tech saw Matt play at least three times.

1) Area Code tryout at University of Houston. .
2) Texas Scouts Association tryout Minute Maid Park (Yep, I was there Bighit)
3) High school game.

I never knew Texas Tech was watching. I never knew they were at the high school game. They decided to sign a catcher, AFTER their fall ball session, two or three weeks before the signing day. When Matt's name came up, they referred to their notes taken at Area Code and Texas Scouts Association at Minute Maid.

A juco coach said to me, after I commented about not hitting very well during a workout, "I have seen him play five times. I'm not worried about his hitting"

With apologies for specific references to Matt, but hopefully providing insight as some people like bbscout, hsbaseballweb, and Fungo did for me when Matt was a high school freshman.

"It's a long, long road, with many a winding turn........."
Ken, you bring up good points. But I'm not sure you understand the process.

The Area Code Tryout is just the beginning to the process. It allows a player to put himself on SOMEONE"S follow list, be it a PRO SCOUT, or a D1 COLLEGE COACH, or a SMALL COLLEGE COACH.

Of course scouts know about MOST of the players. THAT"S their JOBS!! While scouts are out seeing 06 draftable players they run across kids with TOOLS and yes SKILLS too. It is for most the 1st time they have ever seen the kid play. The scout likes him and puts him on his 07 FOLLOW list.

Ken, the area code is important for alot of kids. Why, because they get to show their tools alongside ALL their peers.

Is the area code team picked from the tryout. SOME KIDS do get selected from the tryouts. Ken, with all the SELECT baseball teams and SHOWCASES around the country scouts are afforded the opprotunity to see players from the time they enter 9th grade. Most SELECT team organizations like DBAT and Houston HEAT and the Dallas MAVERICKS have multiple teams. 15u, 16u,17u,18u.

The area code tryout is way more important than just a selection to a team that travels to Long Beach for a weeks worth of games. It allows a player and his parents to realize REALITY. It puts a player on someones list and it allows the player to mingle with the scout. It shows poise or the lack of it. It shows confidence or the lack of it. It shows character or the lack of it. It shows makeup or the lack of it. You get the picture.

So your bothered by the scouts picking apart players. You know KEN, if the players/ parents DIDN"T want so much MONEY the scouts would pick far less. When you and I were growing up KEN, it wasn't about the money. IT was about being like Johnny Bench or Pete Rose or Hank Aaron or Bob Gibson. It was about being like those guys and being a big leaguer. Today its ALL ABOUT HOW MUCH MONEY ARE YOU GONNA GIVE ME.

Name one college degree that would pay you a 100 thousand dollar bonus. Just one!

Baseball will give that and a 4 year college degree all at a chance to try and become a major league player and make MILLIONS!
Thanks for sharing Matt's experiences, FO. That was helpful.

KG, I have to agree with FO. Of course AC is only one milestone in the path. And of course it isn't a necessary condition for making the show.

But first and foremost, to me, AC is an honor. A recognition of much hard work. An incentive or encouragement for the young man. And I hope parents are always excited by the honors their children earn.

Second, you never know when the player will particularly shine at the right moment in front of the right person. For someone, that opportune moment could be the AC. Could be a showcase. Could be at WWB. Or could be a select game.
Area Code Celebrating 20 Years

When this years eight Area Code Teams from around the nation take the field in Long Beach California this August it will mark the 20th year of the Area Code Games. What started out in 1987 as small regional event in Lodi California has grown into the highest regarded high school talent showcase in the country.

The founder of the Area Code Games was Bob Williams a Northern California native collaborated with the Northern California Major League Scouts to put together the best high school underclassman players from geographical areas based on telephone area codes. The premise was to have the top players compete against each other using wood bats and dress in the respective Area Code Teams Major League uniform. Additionally, exclusively major league scouts at no cost to the players would coach the Area Code Teams.

This process has proven to be a winning formula for high school talent identification and evaluation. The Area Code Games has produced over 300 major league players and this statistic continues to grow every year.

The main ingredient of the Area Code success is the player selection process. In an era of high school showcases across the country that charge players a substantial fee to play in the event regardless of ability, the Area Code players conversely are not charged to play in the games or even at the official tryouts. In fact all tryouts are by invitation only and in the majority of cases players have to be nominated by several major league scouts to be considered for an invitation.

With these stringent requirements to participate in the Area Code Games the level of talent that is assembled each year is staggering. Every major league team is represented at the event with some teams having as many as 12 scouts from their organization in attendance. In addition, college scouts are also allowed to attend the games, which accounts for a large representation at the games.

The uniqueness of the Area Code Games separates from anything that is available to the premier high school player. In 2002 Student Sports Inc., the foremost authority in national high school sports, acquired Area Code Baseball. Since Student Sports has owned the Area Code Games players selected in numbers and percentage in the MLB Draft are at peak levels that the event has experienced. In the 2003 & 2004 the Area Code Games had over 50% of the players that were eligible for the Major League Draft were selected with a total of 19 1st. round picks and a total of 80 players selected in the top 10 rounds over that period.

http://ssbaseball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1130&CID=531856

Bob Williams posts on this website occasionally.
quote:
at no cost to the players

FO, you keep saying this. Sure there is no cost to tryout and play. BUT, major league baseball pays for nothing for the player. The parents foot the bill with travel to the tryout and for food and for motels and again when they go to Long Beach if they make the team.

It goes like this. The coach says, See you guys in Long Beach. Here is my number. Call me when you get there. We work out on this day.

So the parents buy plane tickets for themselfs and their son and maybe a brother or sister or 2. Then they book a room at their own expense and then the player eats with his parents or the parents give money to the player to go eat. MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL PAYS FOR NOTHING!!!
FO and MomandCPA ~~

Very enlightening material that you've both contributed from the standpoint of parents whose sons are getting recognition.

I personally agree with you both that you go on these invites and you continue to perform with your select teams.

I don't see how being invited to an AC tryout or any reputable tryout is a negative. It's just a step closer to the goals our sons want to achieve.

Congrats to all who have received these invites!
Let us not forget how exciting and fun it is for all the players. My son loved it. Because of AC he was invited to the Texas Scout event at the Juice Box in Houston. He had a blast at that as well. You can debate all you want to about it. It sure cannot hurt and can help. It was fun to watch all the players you read about.

It is easy for players in a large metro area, like Dallas to get seen. For players in the boonies, this may be the only chance to get in front of college coaches and recruiters.

One scout said to me that the first time he saw or heard of my son was the AC. I would deem it as a don't/can't miss event. jmo
Vance,

There is no cost for the Area Code tryout.

Yes, there is transporation, meals and lodging costs involved in attending the tryout

Only about 20 or so need to worry about the additional costs involved in going to California.

I thought the players travel expenses were funded to California.

Woops, PD I just figured out what you were talking about.

I thought you might be referring to another tryout coming up, for which, I have no clue how that will be funded.

But, if I have to pay, I will.

And, if I couldn't pay, I bet I could find a sponsor..............

So, my advice, if your son gets the invite to California, and it has to be funded by the player, ask for help.
quote:
I thought the players travel expenses were funded to California.

YOU, my friend, are sadly mistaken.

It will cost at least 4 grand to be on that team. Thats the low side.

1. plane tickets, player, mom, dad.
2. car rental for a week
3. motel for 7 days
4. 3 squares a day plus at least one extra for the player
5. spending money
6. buying area code hats and shirts
7. and then other incidentals

sure no cost to tryout once you get to tryout site and or LONG BEACH.
Last edited by Vance34
quote:

It will cost at least 4 grand to be on that team. Thats the low side.

I think most families are getting used to the high cost of baseball travel by the time the players are elgible for Area Code....select baseball has conditioned us to being accustomed to opening up our pocketbooks for out of state travel, lessons, team fees, equipment, etc. No, I don't enjoy shelling out $5k+ a year (that is the low side) on baseball and skipping summer vacations but I wouldn't trade it or the memories for anything in the world..priceless. Smile
Last edited by cheapseats
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Guthrie:
quote:
But I would appreciate a more direct approach.

And I can appreciate your request, and actually I would rather do it your way. But sometimes when I post directly what I think, parents get offended. But I will certainly try...........

I have to agree with Ken on this point. He has gotten blasted in the past and you can’t really blame him for trying to stimulate a good discussion without starting another flame war. I have been wondering how long it would take before someone let the cat out of the bag and identified his intentional technique in this case. If it worked for Socrates why shouldn’t it work for Ken? I thought it was pretty slick. Cool

As for the AC tryouts it seems like the B and C list players might have the most to gain from this mass, though brief, exposure even if they won’t make the AC team. It could be a chance to spark renewed or additional interest. Maybe someone decides to make time later to see a kid play with his own team because he had a good day at the tryout. Maybe they get on the radar for a DII or JUCO that had overlooked them.

I don’t want to speak for Ken but I think his point might be that the A list players (true DI and pro prospects) will get signed even if they skip the AC tryout. The comparison to the NFL combine, and the top draft picks that skip it, seems fair. That doesn’t mean that attending wouldn’t be a great (and free) experience for most kids. Just don't look at the invitation as a fast track to The Show.
Last edited by Line Drive
quote:
As for the AC tryouts it seems like the B and C list players might have the most to gain from this mass, though brief, exposure even if they won’t make the AC team. It could be a chance to spark renewed or additional interest. Maybe someone decides to make time later to see a kid play with his own team because he had a good day at the tryout. Maybe they get on the radar for a DII or JUCO that had overlooked them.

It is also a chance for a player to be seen by college coaches who up to this point have only been exchanging e-mails or phone calls.
Last edited by Bighit15
Wow,

Pretty good thread in my opinion.

To sum up what is so hard for me to understand is..............

and I said it before and will probably be misunderstood again.

In my opinion, it is sad to see that the a large emphasis on today's amatuer players are individual "tools/skills" workouts.

Is there anything really bad about it? No.

What does it really hurt? Nothing.

But what I think does is take away from what the true essence of what the great game really is.

And that is......to play a game you are passionate about with 8 other guys working towards a common goal. In doing so, so many life lessons are learned if absorbed in the correct atmosphere. Whether a player does it on a pee-wee team or a Super All American Premier Area Code Select team. Big Grin

I just see too much importance put on such workouts that sometimes I wonder if young players really understands why they play and enjoy the game.

And for those who say I over estimate the importance to these players......Well, I have to say I have first hand experience. Razz

But it's just like everything else I guess. Times change. To think I grew up watching "This Week in Baseball" on Saturday mornings, to where as now kids look forward to watching "Jack ***" on MTV.

Will I change anything? No.

I guess I need to learn to accept that. But it's hard for me to sit back and just accept things in which I think are a little off base.

Plus, discussions like this help me plan for my sons future. Then again, I will probably be worrying about what seat he has in band. Razz My weekends will be taken up with band camps. Eek

Sorry again, if I offended any parent. Again, congrats on your honors.

But please understand that when this game is done for your sons, which it will come sooner than later for most, that his memories won't be what workout he excelled at........

it will be the times he spent at the hotel playing cards, or the seed spitting contest during BP, or the road trip to Super Series National Invitational World Series. Wink It's the things he does with his "brothers" that he will remember most. Don't let those opportunities pass by. Wink
Unfortunately the child's game has turned into a business. Even at the select level. With the fight for scholarship money, coaches and players have to be business like.

It would be nice if it were just playing with you neighborhood buddies, and if you are good enough, getting to play at the next level. It isn't that way. People have to play against the best competition. So you pay bundles of money to do so (select). Parents want their children to have fun, but with all that output of money, they want results and effort. Not in a bad way, more in the way of saying, "hey junior, if you do this I will support you, but you need to to work at it. If all you want to do is hang out with friends and play, that is fine. Play rec ball"

College coaches want to spend their money wisely. It is just business. Parents search for the best fit of scholly and academics. They would like some return on their investment. Pro scouts want to know how much it will take. it is just business. Times have changed. Just the way it is. A child like love for the game gets lost in all of the striving and competition. jmo

I am never happier than when my son calls and is so happy about his performance, or has a funny story about his friends. It is hard to balance the business end with the just love playing. Something I have noticed even through all of the business end is that the players who don't LOVE it, don't last. Though it may make us sad to see all the bad things with all the striving. Most do it because they love to play the game and are willing to jump through some hoops to insure that they get a chance.
BH15, I hate to whine with you too much, but since you brought up the topic. I think think the most fun for the families, parents, etc. is select baseball prior to age 16 and then high school baseball. Of course rule number one is fun means success and winning, or at least being in the fight. By about age 16, the meaning of the team drops out of select ball. Many of the very top players have the opportunities like Area Code or Jr. Olympics and others and so only play with their base/home team occasionally. Select team coaches must scramble for pitchers for the big tournament because no team can have enough good pitching and you can't keep a bunch of good pitchers all on one team all season. They all need work. High school teams can still truly be teams, though.

By college and of course professional, it really is a business. The players have to truly love the game or they will burn out. The collegiate teams can still form a bond, but many don't. Same goes for professionals. If you think about it, at the professionial level, the team is not really most important concept for most players. The players are truly skilled craftsmen (what professionalism is about in most career fields.) Have you every wondered how Alex Rodriguez and Rod Jeter really get along, playing next to each other? How much do they really care about each other knowing it is unlikely they'll play the rest of their careers together. They only have a common goal (WS championship) for short period and they know it. In the long run, what's important to them is to maintain themselves as individuals and produce as much as they can. Every Major Leaguer has a different make-up but how many groups of players, coachets, etc. have they played with to get their? The good news is the college game still has a lot of good old American fun, apple pie and "school spirit."
Maybe my son is naive, but when a friend or team mate gets cut, he still gets upset. They do bond. It may be different from the rah rah of college, but they are still brothers in arms. True, there are the totally selfish ones. That occurs on any team. Due to all the hurricanes last year, I was priviledged to have several players come here and stay during the 'canes. They were a joy to be around. They share a love for the game and they are where few get to go. That gives them a bond. There is still that boyish hope. They all have to learn to deal with the business side. As with anything else, as you get older, you get more focused and synical, but they still love the game. jmo
I don't want to put words into KG's mouth but I think that what really bothers him about Area Code and other "showcases" is the de-emphasis it puts on "team". I don't think there is any disputing that and i agree with KG that that is a trend that is growing.

Let's be honest - at the 16-18 year old level select summer teams are increasingly becoming "teams" that players play on when it is convenient for them. In other words when there are not Area Code, AFLAC, or Perfect Game showcases, or when there are not college camps or any number of events that take the player away from his select "team". Whether we like it or not these select "teams" are slowly becoming more of a collection of individuals who happen to wear the same uniform at certain times during the summer.

I don't have the answer and I struggle with this in dealing with my own son's quest to continue to play baseball beyond high school. I can honestly see within 10 years the demise of select "teams" as we know them. If what I see continues there will simply be a series of showcases or college camps that will take up most of the prime June - July summer schedules of most top "prospects" - and EVERY parent thinks their son is a "top" prospect.

Individualism is the way baseball is moving. I myself think the demise of baseball "teams" is not a good trend in the long run. Unfortunately we may all realize our loss after it is too late to do anything about it.

Now, with the above being said before anyone asks - if my son were lucky enough to get an Area Code invitation would he go?? Honestly, yes. But I would not feel good about him missing his summer team's games (even though they probably would not even miss him).
Ken, I think you are right on the mark in your last post with a couple minor exceptions. Wink

My son does not waste his time watching “Jack A**”. He is to busy watching ESPN to find out what happened in today’s games.

He is a part time band geek too and loves to compete in marching contests during the off season. His band director makes it work because he also played baseball when he was in high school.

Ok, that stuff is true but I was just having a little fun with you too. We all know kids that fit the profile you described. Big Grin

So what is the bottom line here? I don’t think the players can make the scouts do anything, but the scouts sure can influence the player’s behavior. If the scouts don’t think this info is helpful, why do they bother to show up? No scouts, no players.

My real question this. Who changed first? Was it the kids and parents or the system? And did the kids really abandon playing for the love of the game or have they just added this new behavior (attending showcases) in response to changes in the overall system that decides who gets to the next level of the game they still love to play?
It is a one day event, usually on a Monday or Tuesday, as it is this year, when there are not a lot of games going on.

About 20 boys from Texas, LA, OK, maybe make the Texas Rangers Area Code team that travels to California for one week, in August, late in the season.

That ain't messing up a whole lot of select teams...............

And, the two teams I am involved with right now, are pulling together pretty hard as teams.
quote:
Originally posted by Line Drive:
My real question this. Who changed first? Was it the kids and parents or the system? And did the kids really abandon playing for the love of the game or have they just added this new behavior (attending showcases) in response to changes in the overall system that decides who gets to the next level of the game they still love to play?

LD, I think it is just a sign of the times. It starts with the tremendous money, media and selfishness at the professional player. (I don't mean all professional players, just more and more of them. They are default role models, like it or not, although parents are still responsible for setting the record straight. Ultimately every kid dreams of the big leagues so it is only natural that if they really love the game and the dream, they'll go anywhere to make sure they get their shot.... of course with parents willing, support. What generation are we in? ... the "me" generation? I do also blame Title 9/10 or whatever is that screwed up most of the men's minor collegiate sports to divert money into women's athletics. The end result is college coaches have to be manipulate their limited scholarships and resources any way they can.
quote:
Originally posted by crawdad:
I don't want to put words into KG's mouth but I think that what really bothers him about Area Code and other "showcases" is the de-emphasis it puts on "team". I don't think there is any disputing that and i agree with KG that that is a trend that is growing.

Let's be honest - at the 16-18 year old level select summer teams are increasingly becoming "teams" that players play on when it is convenient for them. In other words when there are not Area Code, AFLAC, or Perfect Game showcases, or when there are not college camps or any number of events that take the player away from his select "team". Whether we like it or not these select "teams" are slowly becoming more of a collection of individuals who happen to wear the same uniform at certain times during the summer.

I don't have the answer and I struggle with this in dealing with my own son's quest to continue to play baseball beyond high school. I can honestly see within 10 years the demise of select "teams" as we know them. If what I see continues there will simply be a series of showcases or college camps that will take up most of the prime June - July summer schedules of most top "prospects" - and EVERY parent thinks their son is a "top" prospect.

Individualism is the way baseball is moving. I myself think the demise of baseball "teams" is not a good trend in the long run. Unfortunately we may all realize our loss after it is too late to do anything about it.

Now, with the above being said before anyone asks - if my son were lucky enough to get an Area Code invitation would he go?? Honestly, yes. But I would not feel good about him missing his summer team's games (even though they probably would not even miss him).

Crawdad, you and I see things alike I have noticed. Thanks for always putting things into a different context for some to understand. Maybe one day I can learn to express myself the same way.

All of my feelings toward my thoughts come from one sense of achievement.........

Pulling together and accomplishing something as a team.

Not that I have achieved anything special, but all of my opinions come from some experience.

1. Playing at the HS level.
2. Playing at the Junior College Level
3. Playing at the 4 year NAIA level.
4. Getting drafted and playing at the minor
league level.
5. Having the opportunity to experience the
Major Leagues behind the scenes on a daily
basis as a bullpen catcher. Roll Eyes
6. Coaching select baseball from 15 all the
way up.

Maybe doing such and looking back give me the thoughts I try to translate.

Either way, I have come to realize that things are looked at differently from a parents and todays amatuer players.

As as far as times changing and who started first...........

Remember, $$$$$$$$$$$ money is the root of all evil.
Link copied to your clipboard.