Skip to main content

Okay TX-Husker, I really don't know why we are arguing about this but here was my train of thought....

1. I read the article by Brandon George regarding where Garman will go from here and he suggests perhaps a local private school

2. After reading the article, I went to the private school message board to see if it was being discussed.

3. It was being discussed, so yes, to me they are related as they both involve private schools. To make it 2 different posts would not make sense to me. Wink

I am sorry but I don't get the issue here.

(I've added a dashed line between the two paragraphs in my original post, I hope that helps make it more clear. I am really not trying to mislead anyone. If I was unclear in communicating my thoughts ... well, it probably wouldn't be the first time. Smile )
Last edited by cheapseats
quote:
Originally posted by Tx-Husker:
Paragraph 1..."you likely haven't seen the last of Garman....he could end up playing quarterback at a nearby private school...seen it hundreds of times".

Paragraph 2..."checked the Texas private school sports message board...already a thread titled "Who will get the QB from Southlake"

If reading into it is connecting 2 paragraphs in the same post rather than knowing they are 2 disconnected thought, color me guilty.

Slanted ??? I believe most of Cheappy's post was telling people the saga is on other boards. The other part about not seeing the end of the young man was probably due to the fact he is being talked about by the Private Schools...

Happy Hour must start early in the "land of the corn"
Ok then... whether you agree or not DEC for 7-5A has rendered a decision...let's move on.
too bad for SL, Garman and others ...I am sure there is a lot more to this then any of us will ever know..
I do not think anyone "wins" in these situations.

just thinking out loud here .......
After all isn't this a High School BASEBALL site?
Let's get back to baseball!!!!
your missing the point.. this current situation has nothing to do with HS baseball.. the kid got nailed cheating in OK in FOOTBALL, is banned in OK for FB his Sr year.. so he moves to TX to play Football.

how many people have been hammered on this site
In the past for discussing other non BASEBALL topics such as s****r,select tryouts, and other non HS baseball topics, etc ...
TX Buck - you are right, I guess I am missing the point (which wouldn't be the first time today Smile )......

If this player transfers to an area private school and plays baseball then it is relevant to our HS baseball website.

Also, it doesn't bother me to read about other sports stories in our state (non-baseball) on this site. We are currently between HS baseball seasons right now so there is not a lot of HS baseball to talk about......
Last edited by cheapseats
From the tease last night, it sounds like a couple are. It sounds like they are getting busted for practice limits violations...ala University of Michigan.

Also, for those that think the SLC QB will be heading to private schools it's not going to happen. The registration eligibility deadline is before his appeal date. It's SLC or nothing for him.
quote:
From the tease last night, it sounds like a couple are. It sounds like they are getting busted for practice limits violations...ala University of Michigan.

Also, for those that think the SLC QB will be heading to private schools it's not going to happen. The registration eligibility deadline is before his appeal date. It's SLC or nothing for him.

For now he is not allowed to play at the varsity level. If his appeal fails he should play at the JV level to get the experience and keep up some skills. It beats playing Madden 2010.
quote:
Originally posted by MDteX:
Possibly more drama. Isn't another school going to be under the microscope tonight?

Just saw this letter from HEB-ISD.

http://www.hebisd.edu/pdf/HEBISD_Letter_Community.pdf

Looks like Trinity HS is in the cross-hairs now. After reading their statement it makes me real hot under the collar that WFAA feels the need to go about business without following the rules set by the school district and without the district executive committee and the UIL investigating this.
quote:
Originally posted by L.A.:
quote:
Originally posted by MDteX:
Possibly more drama. Isn't another school going to be under the microscope tonight?

Just saw this letter from HEB-ISD.

http://www.hebisd.edu/pdf/HEBISD_Letter_Community.pdf

Looks like Trinity HS is in the cross-hairs now. After reading their statement it makes me real hot under the collar that WFAA feels the need to go about business without following the rules set by the school district and without the district executive committee and the UIL investigating this.

Maybe WFAA did or did not follow specific rules.

If Trinity HS coaches did not, will you be just as hot under the collar?

Not judging your intent or comment, but I personally get hot under the collar when the actual violation itself gets pushed aside when trying to point blame at something that comes after.

Such as blaming WFAA for not following rules when their intent is to point out a violation itself.

Wake Up America...

Are HS athletics really that important to jeopordize integerity, honor, and/or character?

Sad. Really sad.
I have watched all the taped interviews, read all the articles, and even talked to 3 parents with kids on the team. The evidence is pretty clear in both cases --- the Garman family did move to Southlake for purpose of athletics and, there were Trinity and Southlake coaches legally in attendance at 7 on 7 games this summer, but they were illegally coaching/giving instruction. The focus of all this should not be on WFAA or Brett Shipp. The focus should be on what penalties are handed out so this doesn't happen again in the future. They got caught breaking the rules, plain and simple. All you have to do is watch the interview with the Southlake AD to know they were doing the backstroke. The guy should think twice before ever agreeing to go on air again for an interview -- Shipp cut him to shreds because WFAA had more facts on the issue than Southlake did. I agree with Ken -- this is sad for high school athletics. Yes I know other schools probably break rules also -- BUT THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT RIGHT!!! The UIL needs to make a statement by handing out stiff punishments so this nonsense stops.
I agree with Ken.

What are we really teaching our kids these days??

This whole mess is a sad commentary on HS athletics these days. And YES, it does go on in many schools and other sports.
Is it all about he winning and $$,etc ... and to heck with doing things the "right way"???
I say yes, it certainly appears to be the case in BOTH of these cases. In both cases the parties involved found loop holes, knew what they were doing was questionable at best, and went about "bending" the rules to be what they wanted them to be.

Hopefully one result to come out of both of these situations is that the UIL will take the initiative to modify/update the rules governing these types of situations, to eliminate the "gray" areas. Close the "loopholes"!!!
Then raise/stiffen the penalties for anyone, player, coach, and or school who is found guilty.
There is no difference between coaches cheating or breaking the rules and teachers cheating to help kids pass the TAKS. If a teacher even talks to a kid during the TAKS test, or gives their students answers so they will pass, they will lose their jobs! So there should be some consequence for coaches who break the rules! I know they are both governed by different regulatory groups, but cheating is cheating and it should be dealt with especially in a school setting.
All we're doing here is teaching high school kids at an early age rules don't apply to them. Rules are for everyone else, not them. It's why you have pro athletes that think the contracts they sign mean nothing. It's why you have the "Reggie Bush's" taking money from agents in college. It's why you have adults that think the gov't should bail them out of their stupid house purchase decision. It's why you have "Bernie Madoff's" stealing money in ponzi schemes. It goes on and on. The best thing that could be done for these kids is to hold the coaches/players that violate rules accountable for their actions. The whole concept of accountability and personal responsibility for your actions and decisions is disappearing from society.....
quote:
All we're doing here is teaching high school kids at an early age rules don't apply to them.

Yeah just like when your going over the speed limit down the highway or running that yellow/red light down the side road to get little Johnny to the next lesson, try out, showcase, or world champeenship game across town. Smile
Teaching starts at home.

Yeah nobody on here bends the rules in their favor sometimes.

Texas Crude got it right.
Last edited by The Beast
Let's not forget why the cheating, or at least the tempation to do so is there...

To win at all costs...

Society no longer puts emphasis on the things that are important ultimately leading to the possibility of becoming a winner.

I see it everyday in the summer, spring, and so on.

Ultimately I put the blame on the coaches today. If your too scared to put your foot down for what is right, then you don't deserve the gift of working with young adults.

A hard lesson today leads to leadership tomorrow.

This stuff makes me sick. A freaking joke.

A family moving a kid to another state to play HS athletics?

A coach or AD not sniffing it out?

Coaches more concerned with success in order to inflate their image?

It's sad.

And why? Because it's the everyone deserves a trophy era. No need to work...your owed a spot. And by God we better win or a coach is going down. No need to do things the right way, heck...watch me. I don't do things the right way. Do as I say not as I do. Oh, and shame on that coach for expecting those kids to do that. It's just a game. Why are they making it so difficult for my son? Did you hear? We won Friday night. Johnny didn't play but really he is better than most those kids.

Wake up America!
Last edited by Ken Guthrie
In the words of Gordon Gekko.
"Greed for the lack of a better word is good."
This is why our entire country is in the shape it's in! Like Gut said, its not worth the hard work and dedication for todays society, we all want it but want it handed to us. Like the commercial says "It's my money and I want it NOW!

We do need to Wake the heck up!
quote:
Ultimately I put the blame on the coaches today. If your too scared to put your foot down for what is right, then you don't deserve the gift of working with young adults.

I have to challenge that. Although it would be nice if we could leave it to coaches to be the gatekeepers of our kid's competitive integrity, the fact is that as a group, HS coaches don't have the backgrounds or vetting to be held to that standard. They also aren't TRULY expected to by us.

I think you have go back to the "zeroth" rule of economics ==>

In general, over time, you can count on people to behave the way they are incentivized to behave.

Coaches especially. You can pound your fists on the table all day long, talk about how horrible they are for not taking care of our kids, tell them to "wake up", but the truth is that advancement for HS coaching is still based on Win/Loss record, and it is the RARE community that truly measures and promotes coaches based on more substantial values. Doesn't matter what B.S. they generate at the Booster Club and School Board meetings, in the end, they(we) still really keep wanting the same thing.

I don't think you can realistically expect coaches-across-the-land to start standing up and taking it on themselves to turn the culture around. Maybe there's an occasional Ken Guthrie here and there to do it, but sorry, that just isn't going to get it done.

Everybody in the community has to be on the same page. Otherwise, get set for more of the same.
Last edited by wraggArm
quote:
Originally posted by wraggArm:
quote:

I have to challenge that.

Challenge if you like, but if it's my belief.

quote:
Although it would be nice if we could leave it to coaches to be the gatekeepers of our kid's competitive integrity, the fact is that as a group, HS coaches don't have the backgrounds or vetting to be held to that standard.

True, so why is so much emphasis put on HS athletics?

quote:
They also aren't TRULY expected to by us.

Well, that's "us's" fault.

quote:
but the truth is that advancement for HS coaching is still based on Win/Loss record, and [i]it is the RARE community that truly measures and promotes coaches based on more substantial values.

Again, Wake Up America.

quote:
I don't think you can realistically expect coaches-across-the-land to start standing up and taking it on themselves to turn the culture around.

I can.

This ain't the Million Man March.

We are talking about coaches conducting themselves with integrity, honor, and character.

We can't expect that?

We should assume the devil sits on their shoulder that is listened to?

Not to offend you, but it's a thought process like yours that continues the down hill slide of our societies direction and expectations through athletics.
quote:
We are talking about coaches conducting themselves with integrity, honor, and character.

We can't expect that?

I we think can can, and should expect it. But until the community gets serious about what they really want, and supports that meaningfully, it'll be all smoke and mirrors.

My point is that sports integrity is a community issue first, not just a job we should throw over the wall to the coaches/AD's. To do that is just as lame as expecting teachers to be responsible for our kid's homework ethic.

The community has to clearly send the message "we want you to create winners without sacrificing our school's integrity", and then they have to be willing to promote a coach for adhering to it, and living with the consequences.

Most people sitting in the booster club meeting think that's the message they are sending. But the minute they walk out the door, all they really hold the coach responsible for is "just win, baby".

I think you and I actually agree on this part. You said:
quote:
To win at all costs...

Society no longer puts emphasis on the things that are important ultimately leading to the possibility of becoming a winner.

I think we just disagree on who's responsible for it.
Last edited by wraggArm
quote:
A coach, player, parent doesn't need the community's approval to act with integrity. He'll set the standard for the community and do that knowing the road in front of the plow isn't as smooth as the road behind him. Blaming the community is a cop out.

BINGO!!!!!!

I don't need approval from my neighbors to act as a father with integrity, honor, and character.

If an administration cracks down on a coach because he practices integrity, honor, and character over winning...

Then shame on the coach if he doesn't continue to stand for what is right.

If he caves, he is just as much to blame as the administration with delusional objectives.

I just don't see how this is even a topic that has various opinions.

There is right, and there is wrong.

Black and White.

I don't get it I guess.
DEC makes their decision on Trinity....

DEC Decision: HEB ISD Did Not Violate UIL Rules

After WFAA aired its story last week, the UIL instructed HEB ISD to conduct an internal investigation and provide information to them and to the District 6-5A Executive Committee (DEC), the local governing body that deals with UIL rules enforcement.

We provided information they requested at a hearing held at 10:00 a.m. today. In an 8-0 decision, the DEC ruled that HEB ISD did not violate any UIL rules.

We are pleased with today's ruling. We have said from day one that we wanted to participate in an official DEC investigation and that we would abide by their decision. We want to thank the DEC members for their work on this matter, and we want to thank the entire HEB community for your continued support.
This should not have been a surprise to anyone. In the video, the Trinity coaches were just standing there watching...this is not against the rules! The video of the Southlake coaches sitting in their lawnchairs watching...this is a gray area. We "heard" things on the tape, but never "saw" them saying anything. How do I know it was actually those guys saying those things? The things that were being said...that was coaching. Its OK for a parent to say those things at a 7 on 7, but not for a coach to...and we (as coaches) know this.
Last edited by funneldrill
So here's a question for the coaches out there (esp. any football guys):

Can you REALLY get enough benefit out of watching 7-man scrimmage from a lawn-chair, blurting out muffled instructions from behind your hand? Enough to be worth the risk of getting caught in this situation??? I don't have enough imagination to see what you could possibly accomplish with that format.
Last edited by wraggArm
quote:
Originally posted by wraggArm:
So here's a question for the coaches out there (esp. any football guys):

Can you REALLY get enough benefit out of watching 7-man scrimmage from a lawn-chair, blurting out muffled instructions from behind your hand? Enough to be worth the risk of getting caught in this situation??? I don't have enough imagination to see what you could possibly accomplish with that format.

I think the risk is not worth the reward.

I'm not a big fan of 7 on 7. Regardless of what offensive or defensive system you run in football, it comes down to 2 things...blocking and tackling. Since neither of those things are being done in 7 on 7...in my opinion...is highly over-rated!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.