Skip to main content

Does anyone think it is wrong for a coach to make a kid buy new catchers gear if his catchers gear isn't the team colors? 

I have a friend who is stuck on this situation and wanted me to ask for everyone's opinion because he hasn't created an account yet for this site.

Last edited by Passion4baseball
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Agree, what age is catcher? If little Johnny is 10 say and has to pay for new colored gear over black/grey  that would be bad considering he'll have to buy more as he grows. Our Summer team(17) bought a set for team color that catcher uses but stays w team should he leave. They have option to buy their own if they want.

Son was catcher in past-that stuff was expensive, always wore black and never had problem with any coach wanting matching team color.

may not be the case here but I've seen little 8 yr old teams spend several hundreds for uniforms, matching bags, warm ups, etc.  no wonder travel ball can cost thous. Each season when it's all set and done.

I think that is ridiculous.  Even when my son was in high school, the catchers never had team color gear.  And the catchers on his summer team never had team color gear.  I would think maybe in college it could be required, but I would think the catchers  would be excited to get new gear to match their college, and maybe the college would get gear for their catchers.

But then again, I was never one of those coaches/parents who got into the matching bat bags and all that kind of stuff.

Well, since he is a V Catcher, I'm going to have to side with the coach on this one.  While I don't think the color seems that bad, I can see a HS V coach wanting either red or black gear, which has probably been provided by the team.  If the catcher wants to wear his OWN gear, then yes, he should have to buy it in the teams colors.   EX: if the player wants to wear his own pants, instead of team issued ones, I don't think anyone would agree that he should be able to wear an off color pant of his choice.

Last edited by lefthookdad

As a former head coach and current AD our school is going to provide equipment that is of good quality.  That is just good business because what if you're stud catcher is poor?  You not going to play him because he can't afford new equipment?  Of course not.  Nobody on here knows more than me how expensive costs run on funding athletics and when you're $40K in the hole (yeah that's what I inherited) you have to really cut some corners.  But never on equipment that is required or is safety related - which catcher's gear is.  You can get about 4 years out of a good set of gear if you take care of it.

All that being said if a kid wants to go out and buy his own stuff - more power to him.  Doesn't hurt my feelings and that gets us another year out of the set of gear we bought as a school.  But it will conform to what our team looks like or black to be neutral so they can use it over the summer on that team.  If we are red and yellow my catcher will not wear yellow and purple just because that's what his summer team is or those are his favorite colors.

Last edited by coach2709

My son begged me to buy him school colors (orange and black) as he needed a new set of gear (he uses All-Star). I vetoed the idea since those colors would likely clash with any travel team(s) he joins this summer and beyond. So, he's sticking with navy and silver (as opppsed to black). A full set of adult All-Star System 7 runs about $350-400. If a team/sponsor wants to buy/loan him a set than that would be fine.

Originally Posted by Passion4baseball:

lefthook,

But is requiring a specific type of catchers gear a little too pricey?

What if the team gear doesn't fit him right?

It just seems like a pretty pricey demand. 

I can see a coach specifying a specific quality level but not a specific brand.  Catcher's helmet style (hockey style or the older mask w/ separate helmet) might be dictated by league rules and therfore be a requirement.  Althought catcher's gear is expensive relative to other baseball gear it is vastly less expensive that hockey goalie gear (1200-1600 for leg pads, 300+ for each glove, 800+ for helmet, etc) which has some of the same "style" issues.

Although the things some people do shouldn't suprise me these types of things some how still do. Sorry I couldn't care less what my catchers equipment color is. He can wear bright pink for all I care. I'm a coach not a fashion designer. Maybe if coaches spent less time worrying about how their catcher looks and more worrying about how he plays we would have better trained catchers at the HS level.
Originally Posted by Scotty83:
Although the things some people do shouldn't suprise me these types of things some how still do. Sorry I couldn't care less what my catchers equipment color is. He can wear bright pink for all I care. I'm a coach not a fashion designer. Maybe if coaches spent less time worrying about how their catcher looks and more worrying about how he plays we would have better trained catchers at the HS level.

At that level, why shouldn't a coach be allowed to ask for that?  It is actually a minor requirement.  There is a certain aspect of the game where "uniformity" plays a role.  A team that has all matching uni's, gear looks good and presents a good look for organization.  My son played for a top level summer team and they had to wear certain uni's, depending on the uni of the day, gear had to be clean, shoes had to be clean...you didn't go on the field until your stuff was maintained to team standards.....not one kid complained, they all knew what was expected, they knew they were representing not only themselves, but the organization...so, I don't see why it should be any different in HS

Last edited by lefthookdad
Well there is not a catchers equipment color rule in my state. To each his own I guess. I just think it's silly. Especially to require a players family to spend money on it. If they want to do it on their own fine but no way I would require it. Then again where I live I have to buy half my players cleats. If I coached in an area where families had higher incomes I might feel different. But I doubt it.

Because it's a public school and many kids don't have the money.  if the coCh is that worried about it the school should supply one black set of gear for stu to use-we had several around in LL in case kid just trying position cant afford. Wasn't brand new high dollar equip, but it came in handy. If schools can afford football equip they shouldafford  catchers gear-it's a safety thing. As a parent of now non catcher I wouldn't care if team bought equip w fundraising money if it stays in program and not personally taken by C.

If your a parent/travel coach who wants to spend hundreds/thous. so your kids match and  look good, have at it. Not everyone in sports can do that. We collect old equipment all the time to pass to other leagues to help the younger kids who dont have the $150.00 shoes, Nike gear, etc.

ques for AD- do u know if your coaches r Requiring things like this of players? Ok w it? 

How does that work w coaches? 

I would be against it, especially for a limited HS season.  I am also against "sharing" team owned catchers gear.  I suppose shins and chest protector are ok, but the helmet -- that is just gross.  My kid's helmet is soaked after a hot day of catching.  The thought of some other kid's head in their gives me the willies.   

In this situation I guess I can see a coach asking him to wear team colors.....assuming that there isn't a usable set of school-issued gear available.  If he wants to buy his own....fine, but if that's the case I think the coach asking for school colors is ok.  If the school doesn't have a decent set, then no, the kid can buy whatever he wants.....which in this case....solid navy I would be fine with.  Red gear on a navy/gold team....maybe not.  No catcher is going to buy a set to match his HS....and another to match his summer team (which likely will play 2-3 times as many games). 

Like several of you here, I also agree...if the coach requires the student to wear certain colors and the student cannot afford it, a set should be made available.  Every catcher likes his own gear, but sometimes it's just not possible.   My son, a junior, being scouted heavily right now, feels its very important to look good behind the plate.  We just heard his showcase team has changed colors and, of course, he wants new gear.  We don't have deep pockets, so he knows if he wants the colors, he will work to get it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.