Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@adbono posted:

No news here. Problems for HS baseball players being recruited because of the portal has been discussed on this board for the past 3 years. And there are plenty of articles that have been written about it as well.

With respect -

There is no one in college sports at the present time who has Deion Sander's influence and media profile...it's not even close. What he is doing at Colorado has upended decades of thought and precedent - it is astonishing. The man is a genius.

No doubt his success, which is the result of his novel approach to coaching and recruiting, will affect how other coaches think and act, and not just in football.

Not sure comparing his words with posters on HSBBW or articles written elsewhere is relevant.

@TPM posted:

He isn't doing anything different than others are doing. The only difference is that it's a media circus and all about him and his sons.

It should not be that way, JMO.

But he is doing things differently because he's able to. I'm sure other HBCUs would love to go into the portal and recruit 4 and 5 star recruits but they can't. That's just one example, but the same goes with the coaching staff, fundraising, etc.

To equate it to baseball, LSU going into the portal is very different than St. Peter's going into the portal.

@SpeedDemon posted:

With respect -

There is no one in college sports at the present time who has Deion Sander's influence and media profile...it's not even close. What he is doing at Colorado has upended decades of thought and precedent - it is astonishing. The man is a genius.

No doubt his success, which is the result of his novel approach to coaching and recruiting, will affect how other coaches think and act, and not just in football.

Not sure comparing his words with posters on HSBBW or articles written elsewhere is relevant.

I am a fan of what Deion is doing at CU. But just because he says something at a media session doesn’t make it news. No matter how much influence he has at the moment. He is just a man that’s speaking on a subject he is knowledgeable about - the same as what happens on HSBBW every day. So it’s certainly a relevant comparison in my mind. And his success is more a result of knowing his craft and being honest, transparent, and forthright than anything else. Kids want to play for him because of who he is, what he has done, and his ability to make kids believe that he cares about them. He is at the right place, at the right time, to make an impact. And he is doing it with the power of his personality more than anything novel about his approach to coaching and/or recruiting.

I am a fan of what Bill Snyder did at Kansas State.

But just because he said something at a media session doesn’t make it news. No matter how much influence he had at the moment. He was just a man speaking on a subject he was knowledgeable about - the same as what happens on HSBBW every day. So it’s certainly a relevant comparison in my mind.

And his success was more a result of knowing his craft and being honest, transparent, and forthright than anything else. Kids wanted to play for him because of who he was, what he had done, and his ability to make kids believe that he cared about them. He was at the right place, at the right time, to make an impact. And he was doing it with the power of his personality more than anything novel about his approach to coaching and/or recruiting.

Last edited by SpeedDemon

I like to separate the message from the messenger.  I'm guessing nobody here disagrees with the message, because we've seen it and shared stories about it over the last few years.   Coach Prime is spot on.

You may be questioning the messenger, who is a former two sport professional athlete who made it all about him, and branded himself "Prime Time".   It doesn't get more self aggrandizing than that.   Twenty years later that former, it's all about me, selfish athlete is leading young men as "Coach Prime" in a Power conference and having some initial success.  Maybe he knows what he's doing.   Maybe he has no clue.  Let's give him a shot to earn our respect, and let's see what he's got in leading young men to become better football players and teammates. Life can be stranger than fiction.

JMO.

Last edited by fenwaysouth
@SpeedDemon posted:

I am a fan of what Bill Snyder did at Kansas State.

But just because he said something at a media session doesn’t make it news. No matter how much influence he had at the moment. He was just a man speaking on a subject he was knowledgeable about - the same as what happens on HSBBW every day. So it’s certainly a relevant comparison in my mind.

And his success was more a result of knowing his craft and being honest, transparent, and forthright than anything else. Kids wanted to play for him because of who he was, what he had done, and his ability to make kids believe that he cared about them. He was at the right place, at the right time, to make an impact. And he was doing it with the power of his personality more than anything novel about his approach to coaching and/or recruiting.

I'm confused.  Who's Bill Snyder and how is he related to this conversation?  And was adbono's post copied and pasted in error here instead of being quoted?  I feel like I'm missing something.

@fenwaysouth posted:

I like to separate the message from the messenger.  I'm guessing nobody here disagrees with the message, because we've seen it and shared stories about it over the last few years.   Coach Prime is spot on.

You may be questioning the messenger, who is a former two sport professional athlete who made it all about him, and branded himself "Prime Time".   It doesn't get more self aggrandizing than that.   Twenty years later that former, it's all about me, selfish athlete is leading young men as "Coach Prime" in a Power conference and having some initial success.  Maybe he knows what he's doing.   Maybe he has no clue.  Let's give him a shot to earn our respect, and let's see what he's got in leading young men to become better football players and teammates. Life can be stranger than fiction.

JMO.

Let’s hope Oregon grinds Colorado into dust. Maybe Coach Prime will be humble for a week. The following week Colorado plays USC. It will be the first time in my life I’ve pulled for “that other school.”

@atlnon posted:

I'm confused.  Who's Bill Snyder and how is he related to this conversation?  And was adbono's post copied and pasted in error here instead of being quoted?  I feel like I'm missing something.

WHO IS BILL SNYDER??? Classiest coach ever, who took Kansas state from the worst team in the nation to a team that goes to a bowl almost every year. Bill Snyder did it with Underdogs. To this day, K state rarely gets a four or five star player, ever. To me, they are not even in the same conversation. What Snyder did was much harder, and he did it in class. He wasn’t managing top talent, he was getting the most out of the players he had.

Last edited by baseballhs

Anyway, Coach Prime will be off to the NFL in a year or so anyway.

I doubt it. His approach works with young athletes (especially young black athletes). He knows what they want and what they need. And they are flocking to him because of it. I don’t think what he is selling is appealing to older, professional athletes that are making a lot of money. My bet is that he stays in the college ranks, and I hope he does.

@TPM posted:

Seems to be fixed, whatever it was, it was confusing.

Oh wait, SpeedDemon did copy Al's reply.

You got that atlnon?

I have too many unpleasant memories of Sanders when he played baseball. I wish I could believe he really cared about the "kids". If he really did he would have stayed where he was.

JMO

Deion was a phenomenal athlete in college and pros.  He knows the game and how to compete.  He will continue to draw great talent to himself and he also understands how to build a brand and use social media.  The older generations as a whole don't care for that attitude but the younger ones love it and want to be a part of it.  The more success he has, the greater he will draw with the younger crowd.  His "antics" as many older people call them are what draws the younger crowd to him.  As he has said many times, he does not care what other people think about him.  Only God, his family, and himself.  Not a bad mindset.  Some people would be a lot better off if they could get that in their lives.  If he can win, there will always be a place for him.  Colorado administration say they knew what they were getting and have gotten more than they expected on the good side.

On a different note, there is an interview with three of the players who stayed even though they were told to leave.  They wanted to prove a point that they could compete.  They have and I think ultimately that is what Deion wanted to see out of the players.  A desire to compete for a spot.

He's not my cup of tea but I agree 1000% with what @PitchingFan and @fenwaysouth said. He doesn't need to be my cup of tea and if you look past the bravado there is a lot of substance and truth to what he says! He inspires the young men around him and a lot of people fail to recognize how much he contributed (out of his personal finances in addition to overall investments/attention) to Jackson State. He is not just talking, he is doing.

My son was a huge fan when he played baseball with Atlanta until he asked for his autograph and he was nasty to him. Talk about not caring what others think of you!  That was the end of that and son was devastated. Sure Sanders was young and stupid, but it was unnecessary.

Funny thing he still has that I don't care what you think attitude, and lots of folks, young and old, don't like it.

I also think that walking out on the Jackson players was unnecessary.

Try to convince me it wasn't for his sons.

Folks complain about coaches leaving programs for better opportunities. Don't forget to include Coach Prime.

I've never complained about coaches leaving for better opportunities.  That is what life is about.  Anybody who does that is irrational.  Coaches should always be moving up and why would anybody complain about someone moving up in life.  That is just silly.  People on here talk about the 40 year plan for years.  I wouldn't complain about anybody moving up in life.  Part of that is leaving one place for another.  That would be like someone complaining about your child or mine taking a better job.  That is not right.

And even if it was for his sons.  That is what life is about also.  Why would you not want to do what is best for your children?  Complaining about someone wanting something better for their children is just wrong.

@TPM I originally thought the same. I will not deny that his son benefits but there is much more to it. Jackson State has a lot of responsibility for his departure. And I would not be saying that without direct knowledge of how they managed the influx of resources.

I am very sorry to hear Sanders didn't treat your son well. I am afraid that there are kids out there who will say the same about my son. He tries to sign for kids but it can be a lot at times and it often is a lot of older people trying to make $$ off them.

@PTWood posted:

@TPM I originally thought the same. I will not deny that his son benefits but there is much more to it. Jackson State has a lot of responsibility for his departure. And I would not be saying that without direct knowledge of how they managed the influx of resources.

I am very sorry to hear Sanders didn't treat your son well. I am afraid that there are kids out there who will say the same about my son. He tries to sign for kids but it can be a lot at times and it often is a lot of older people trying to make $$ off them.

I get it from Dave's experience as a pro. His cards are still sold online..funny. But the grown men wanting autographs so they can sell them online comes with the territory.

So I get it. But I can't imagine James being nasty to a 9 year old and I realize you did a great job at raising him.  His sons seem to be pretty cool.

For me, the show is still all typical Sanders.

I agree with show about Deion but his story of the kid this weekend who he hugged on the field and what he told him is incredible.  I will admit that most college coaches could not or would not do what Deion did at that moment with that young man.  It is interesting that with most coaches and that includes baseball that those who are not with the team think the successful ones are jerks but the ones who play for them think the complete opposite.  I think about most of the successful ones in the SEC  for baseball and that includes your sons and my son's coaches.  Most outside think they are jerks and egotistical and I can go on and on but their players and assistant coaches would die for them.  They are not always what they appear on camera for a glimpse.

I'm sure there is someone who has a story like yours about my son but he tries to sign everyone's each time but I'm sure he dismissed some kid on a bad or busy day.  Just hoping that was Deion's case.

I’ve never forgotten this story …

Deion Sanders, Florida State All-American cornerback, was arrested on charges of battery on a police officer and disorderly conduct Saturday after a shopping mall dispute over the purchase of earrings, police said.

The arrest came Saturday afternoon after Sanders, a Ft. Myers native, became embroiled in an altercation with a store clerk at the crowded Edison Mall.

Tony Cail, the auxiliary police officer Sanders is accused of striking, was being treated at Lee Memorial Hospital. His condition was not immediately available.

… Bobby Bowden allowed Sanders to play in the Sugar Bowl a few days later. FSU still had a shot at the national championship. It was the beginning of entitlement and in your face arrogance that has never ended.

I wish Bo Jackson had done to Sanders what he did to Brian Bosworth.

@RJM posted:

I’ve never forgotten this story …

Deion Sanders, Florida State All-American cornerback, was arrested on charges of battery on a police officer and disorderly conduct Saturday after a shopping mall dispute over the purchase of earrings, police said.

The arrest came Saturday afternoon after Sanders, a Ft. Myers native, became embroiled in an altercation with a store clerk at the crowded Edison Mall.

Tony Cail, the auxiliary police officer Sanders is accused of striking, was being treated at Lee Memorial Hospital. His condition was not immediately available.

… Bobby Bowden allowed Sanders to play in the Sugar Bowl a few days later. FSU still had a shot at the national championship. It was the beginning of entitlement and in your face arrogance that has never ended.

I wish Bo Jackson had done to Sanders what he did to Brian Bosworth.

The key word is "Sanders was ACCUSED of striking police officer.   Innocent until proven guilty.

The key word is "Sanders was ACCUSED of striking police officer.   Innocent until proven guilty.

Being arrested and charged before being convicted is how the American legal system works. The article is right after the event and before the trial. Had Sanders not been an important part of the team chances are he would have been suspended.

Winning trumps all in most big time football programs. SEC football teams have more players arrested in most season than the other four P5’s combined. It’s because “In the SEC, it just means more.” “It” is winning at all costs. FSU isn’t part of the SEC. But at the time Bowden had the same mentality.

I don’t remember what happened with the arrest. But I’ll bet at that time a FSU player could commit murder and have the charges dropped.

Last edited by RJM

He pled guilty to a misdemeanor.  The real story is.  After you bash him and Bobby Bowdon.  The clerk said there was no way any of the three players could afford to buy the earrings because of their race.  She accused them of planning to steal them but they were at counter to checkout.  Did Deion handle it correctly?   No but the mall cop, not an on duty policeman tried to arrest him and he pushed him off him.   Again not handled correctly by either.  Bobby interviewed all the parties personally before agreeing to let him play.  So the moral of your story is no player with a misdemeanor should be eligible.  

@PitchingFan posted:

That is heinous.  The man led his players and staff in prayer.  He can’t win on here.  One says he is a thug and the other says he is too religious.  Someone help me out.  Which is he?  

I never said he was a thug. I never even heard of what happened at FSU.

He is just one of those who thinks he can do what he wants, obviously.

@PitchingFan posted:

He pled guilty to a misdemeanor.  The real story is.  After you bash him and Bobby Bowdon.  The clerk said there was no way any of the three players could afford to buy the earrings because of their race.  She accused them of planning to steal them but they were at counter to checkout.  Did Deion handle it correctly?   No but the mall cop, not an on duty policeman tried to arrest him and he pushed him off him.   Again not handled correctly by either.  Bobby interviewed all the parties personally before agreeing to let him play.  So the moral of your story is no player with a misdemeanor should be eligible.  

So, if someone says something offensive to you the correct response is to assault them? Being allowed to play maintained Sanders on a path of entitlement and arrogance which has led him to be the asshat he is today.

Read the article Whitlock wrote. He’s right. Sanders is full of shite. Sanders is a hypocrite. It’s not the path God chose for him. It’s the path Sanders chose due to the money and the potential professional football development and exposure benefits for his sons.

Last edited by RJM

I'm not gonna question someone's calling from God.  I've made moves in my life that I believe with all my heart are callings from God.  Most of those I made more money but not all.  The first one I took a $20,000 paycut but if it had been a payraise I would have taken it also.  I will not question God's calling on a person's life and what they say about it.  That is between them and God.  I will definitely not call it hypocrisy because Solomon was the richest man probably to have ever lived and he was God's chosen man.  God appointed him King.  So I would have a hard time believing God could not make someone earn more money today if He chose to.  Not saying God did, but He could.

So I reckon we change our tone on here and you should never be seeking what is best for yourself or your kids.  That makes complete sense.

Whitlock is a podcaster and writer.  He makes money when he stirs up controversy.  Not a credible source, in my opinion.

If you don't like the guy or FSU or whatever, just say it.  I don't like Deion and never have.  But when you say he is a bad guy and TPM says he is too religious it is a complete contradiction.  I don't think he is either and I'm not saying he is a great example for Christianity.  But I think he is a successful player and coach and if you don't like him or his teams you will find reasons.  I have learned to appreciate talent even if I don't agree with all of their actions.  I might not recognize them as a role model but I can differentiate between a talented athlete and a role model.  I feel the same way about several professional athletes that claim to be great Christians and yet their life doesn't represent it.  I don't bash them but I also don't praise them.

I'm not a Florida fan but was a huge fan of Tim Tebow.  I became a fan of FSU because I got to know Bobby Bowdon personally and what he stood for and lived out with his players.  Same with Dabo at Clemson.  Not a Clemson fan but love him as a person.

Where did I say he was too religious? I said he could not do what he was doing, read the article.

All I know is that Prime said he left Jackson because his assistants were making 50, 60ish so he needed to take them to a better program to make more money.

So with that being said, that's what this appears to be. He used that angle for his better opportunity

Why do you keep bringing up the Christian aspect in all of this? It should have nothing to do with it. Nothing. My son was a coach at a school that was Presbyterian. He only knew that because of his insurance.

Last edited by TPM
@PitchingFan posted:

I agree with show about Deion but his story of the kid this weekend who he hugged on the field and what he told him is incredible.  I will admit that most college coaches could not or would not do what Deion did at that moment with that young man.  It is interesting that with most coaches and that includes baseball that those who are not with the team think the successful ones are jerks but the ones who play for them think the complete opposite.  I think about most of the successful ones in the SEC  for baseball and that includes your sons and my son's coaches.  Most outside think they are jerks and egotistical and I can go on and on but their players and assistant coaches would die for them.  They are not always what they appear on camera for a glimpse.

I'm sure there is someone who has a story like yours about my son but he tries to sign everyone's each time but I'm sure he dismissed some kid on a bad or busy day.  Just hoping that was Deion's case.

I have no clue what you are talking about or what happened on the field with hugging a kid and telling him something.

I also have no clue why you keep bringing up anything to do with Florida. Even in a pm.  You seem to have a real problem because that has nothing to do with this topic. You should stick to Tennesse.

Actually, you and I were having a conversation on here and I mentioned my son and your sons coaches. No different than you mention Tennessee when talking to me. It is relevant. And I have heard people say my sons coach, the LSU coach, the Vanderbilt coach, and that team that plays in Jacksonville’s coach along with other highly successful coaches are arrogant.  I actually respect all of them and think they are great coaches, whether anybody else does.  Most successful coaches are considered that way by the fans of other teams.  And by the way, my son and I even talked about it on his podcast. He named that’s school in Jacksonville as his favorite place to play other than Hoover and Omaha, and Knoxville

Last edited by PitchingFan

Ok,so you are going by what you have heard, not actually had conversations with any of them except maybe Tony. And it appears you feel the need to bring it up often. Seems like you want to be a part of it all.

This has nothing to do with a man who gave himself the title of Coach Prime.

BTW, are you aware that there are folks on this site that are not Christians?  Son went to Clemson,  in 2004. Even then coaches were not allowed to lead the team in prayer, perhaps at Catholic schools.  One of the reasons why son decided Notre Dame was not for him.

I know parents from here whose sons left top programs because of the Sunday evening Bible Study Group. One was Jewish.

Just an FYI, mine is also. In all the teams he has been on no coach is involved in team prayer, which is usually not religious in nature.

Actually had conversations with all of them.  I have never called any of them arrogant.  I just said the same way that some are saying Deion is, the same has been said of these guys who are actually great guys.  Coach Prime is a great branding.  He has a great team around him that knows how to use social media headed up by his son.  They have branded, copyrighted, multiple names and sayings this week.  Normally when you don't know a guy personally, you just go by what you see and not what you know.  I knew Bobby personally.   I met Deion on multiple occasions.  You think I am just a normal persons but I have lived a full life and met a lot of what others would call famous people.  Most of them are just normal people who ultimately hate the limelight.  Some just embrace it for the show.

I am well aware that there are people on here that are not Christians.  In fact, I would believe that 50% of the population of the world is not Christians.  But it is who I am.  I have never forced it down anyone's throat but it does come up when I talk to people just like normally sports do.  It is who I am.

I've never forced a player to pray and never led prayer but I did allow my players to pray and most non-Christians will not walk away.  Player led prayer is not illegal ever like student led prayer is not at school.  And the last comment"which is usually not religious in nature." is just as religious in context as any of my comments on God.

I'm guessing your non belief in God will always be a reason that we will not agree on most things.  We just see the world differently.  The Bible says that two forces will always be at odds.

My comment about not religious in nature means there is no mention of Jesus, the father, the son, etc.

Please tell me where did I say that I didnt believe in God? Can you point that out to me.

I guess because I am not a Christian that's the way you think. Which is my point, if people dont believe in the same God you or others may believe in, it's considered that I don't believe in God.

Last edited by TPM
@TPM posted:

My comment about not religious in nature means there is no mention of Jesus, the father, the son, etc.

Please tell me where did I say that I didnt believe in God? Can you point that out to me.

I guess because I am not a Christian that's the way you think. Which is my point, if people dont believe in the same God you or others may believe in, it's considered that I don't believe in God.

I’ve been hit with the “you don’t believe in God” because I'm Jewish. It’s insulting. Theyre saying if you don’t believe in Jesus you don’t believe in God. It makes me wonder if they understand the Old Testament versus the New Testament.

@RJM posted:

So, if someone says something offensive to you the correct response is to assault them? Being allowed to play maintained Sanders on a path of entitlement and arrogance which has led him to be the asshat he is today.

Read the article Whitlock wrote. He’s right. Sanders is full of shite. Sanders is a hypocrite. It’s not the path God chose for him. It’s the path Sanders chose due to the money and the potential professional football development and exposure benefits for his sons.

Who is Whitlock? As for Sanders choices, he does care what you and I think.  Never has and never will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_ZfZbx2V2A

Coach Prime will not go to the NFL. It’s a totally different job. The failure rate of college to pro for coaching is ridiculously high. Nick Saban couldn’t do it and he’s arguably the best college coach ever, and I hate Bama.

Sanders has won 3 games so far…. TCU good win but likely very overrated, a bad Nebraska team, and CSU in OT where they were favored by 20+. Let’s see how he does against USC and Oregon. As far as recruiting goes, unless they get their NIL in order like the other top teams he will not be able to compete with the SEC, FSU, most of the BIG. Sure, he’ll get a couple top kids every year but not enough to have quality depth to win big games consistently. His experience and attitude resonate well with HS kids, but so does a million bucks. He was also able to offer starting spots to just about any player willing to transfer in.

There are many paths to great leadership. Deion's is one that is foreign to my experience with leaders and - occasionally - my sensibilities. Unsurprising, as we have had rather different life experiences :-)

My dad was a big boxing fan and a pretty conservative fellow - not a fan of Muhammad Ali, whom he called Clay up until the late 70s (Jabbar was Alcindor, etc). He would always unfavorably compare him to Joe Louis - his definition of a great champion, from his youth.

Late in his life we had a talk about Ali - he finally referred to him as Ali - and my dad explained why he didn't like his style and his talking. After a pause, he shook his head and said something to the effect of, "well, he was a great (*($#*(@ fighter, that can't be denied."

I'm reminded of that conversation when I try to sort out my feelings about Deion and what he's doing at Colorado. He appears to be a great (#$*&#@&* leader.

USC - L

ASU - likely w

Stanford - likely w

UCLA - L

OrSU - L

AZ - w/l

WSU - L

Utah - L

Deion Sanders is a great leader and a great recruiter. Reminds me of a young Bobby Bowden, except Deion actually came from the same background as the kids he’s recruiting. His ability as a football coach is still questionable. His assistant coaches are meh. Charles Kelly was a terrible DC at FSU and they were loaded with talent when he took over. The team overall lacks discipline. Shedeur Sanders is not a great QB. Has a heck of an arm but his mechanics need a lot of work to be considered a prospect. He’s been working with some of the top QB gurus for years and still has that huge wind up that isn’t going to make it in the NFL. Very few P5 teams offered him. Speculation with his Alabama offer included dad taking a role on the staff.  The O line, yikes. Every team they play the rest of the year is going to blitz like crazy. No way they have time to let receivers get downfield.

Is their 2023 recruiting and transfer portal sustainable? I doubt it. They brought in 80+ new kids and 50+ on ships. I think he gets 5 or so blue chip kids a year which is nowhere near enough to build depth. If they get some big donors to their NIL and hire someone to manage it properly that could change. Kids will flock there if they can get the money and the coaching, but they will follow the money first. Even if they do figure that part out, it takes more than recruits to win. Look at Jimbo and TAMU. Best recruiting class in the history of rankings and they are still underperforming.

I loved watching Neon Deion/Prime Time as a kid while he was at FSU and throughout his MLB and NFL career. I love that he tries to teach these kids to be men while trying to win games. I hope he is successful. It is just way too early for me to buy into this hype. Dan Lanning nailed it when he said they play for clicks. Maybe that helps in the long run. We will see.

Lastly, I question whether he stays at Colorado, or any college, after his kids graduate.

The passionate disagreement here reflects my own internal conflict.  My own nature is to strongly prefer being low key, let my performance do all the talking, don't promote myself (if I get praise, let is come from others, not from myself), and when I do well, put my head down and not draw attention.  This is what I do at work, and I am sure that I left money and promotion on the table bec of this.

So what Coach Prime does naturally rubs me the wrong way (along with most of the celebration antics in football, and now in baseball).  I remember really liking DeVonta Smith when he was in Alabama bec he was the rare football star that does not do any of the crazy celebration when he makes a great play.  He just puts his head down and goes back to the sideline.

Having said these, I keep challenging and reminding myself that my issue with Coach Prime is bec of personal preference, that what he does is not necessarily wrong.  It may rub me the wrong way, but the diversity in our world is what makes it great.  I make an effort to not judge/criticize him in my mind, much less out loud in the public square.

I'm also wondering if what really irritates me is not as much what he does (even if rubs me the wrong way), but moreso how the public and media are reacting (or overreacting).

So at this point, I am going to stay quiet, and focus more on enjoying the excitement that he brings, and how college football is much more competitive in general this year (even though I am a UGA fan and wish they would 3peat).

I don't have a strong opinion on Sanders either way. I probably would have preferred he went about the move a bit differently but I also don't know football like I know baseball.

I will say this. I think more people have an issue with ESPN shoving Colorado down everybody's throat for the past month than they actually do with Sanders. You would have thought they beat the Broncos the way they were highlighting the Nebraska win.

That being said - football aside - I think they're annoying. Nobody can walk on their 50, but it's the first thing they do when they get to Oregon. The second somebody makes a mild comment "it's personal", but it's not personal when they go against a far superior opponent. "I'm here" but also it's the "worst they'll ever be". Wish they'd just play so I wouldn't have to see all the extra curriculars on loop on ESPN.

End of the day - Colorado is in better hands with him, he's more than capable as a coach, I think he will be successful. I just really don't care for a week of nonstop media to beat a bad Colorado State team in 2OT.

I agree with @PABaseball. The biggest culprit in this circus, by far, is ESPN. It’s a sinking ship that’s owned by a corporation that’s run by evil people. I respect some of the people that left. But plenty of rats are still there and they are shamelessly pushing an agenda that isn’t good for the masses. And ratings have dropped accordingly. Now ESPN has hitched it’s wagon to Deion Sanders in hopes that he will help the network regain it’s popularity. But it won’t work. It’s just another sideshow distraction. IMO a lot of the anger that’s being sent to Sanders is misdirected. It should be directed to ESPN and other media that are creating hype for their own perceived benefit.

What PABaseball and adbono just said accurately describes some of my thoughts.  I typed up something similar but I ended up deleting it as I'm not sure I was able to accurate convey what was in my mind.

Coach Prime definitely made a big impact in Colorado's football program, and deserves kudos and credit for it.  Yes, he and his team has a brashness (or confidence) they exude that can be off putting to me, but again, that may just be my different personality/preference.

However, what probably irritates and rubs people the wrong way most of all is that the hype, attention and praise Colorado is getting from the media (mass media like ESPN and social media) does not reflect their actual on-field performance and success.  They are not saying that Coach Prime and Colorado did not accomplish anything, or are not doing something noteworthy.  It's just that another team that has accomplished what they have done so far (but without a coach that has Coach's Prime's talent for publicity and hype) probably would not have been featured in College Gameday yet at this point.  And when people criticize and challenge the narrative, they get accused of making it personal or even racism.

This is just my observation as I have not really participated in the public conversation on this (this discussion in this board is probably the most I've shared my thoughts on this topic).

Next weekend will be the first time I’ve ever rooted for “the other team in LA” to win. I hope they put another 40+ on Colorado. It’s about my dislike for Sanders. Arrogant football teams are nothing new. Think back to the University of Miami teams when they were a powerhouse. But at least they were big time winners.

Last edited by RJM
@Master P posted:

Every high school kid I've talked to LOVES Coach Prime.  In the end, that's all that matters because that's who he's recruiting.  Its not about the X's and O's, its about the Jimmy's and the Joe's.

They can love him all they want, but the NIL $$ is what they really love. They may have Colorado on their list now, but where they actually sign will mostly be based on where they get the most $$.

Getting players is certainly the biggest ingredient to winning, but you need competent coaches to have a gameplan that will maximize their abilities. Charles Kelly is not a good DC. Most of their coaching staff is actually not what I would consider above average. There are plenty of examples of programs with a blue chip roster and mediocre results. I'm not saying you can win without top talent, but I am saying you need coaching to get the most out of that talent.

Looks like Prime is going to lose out with a 6 game losing streak after losing to lowly Stanford while being favored by 13. The real MVP of this whole thing…. Probably his son who is a social media whiz. There are much better turnaround stories in college football but he was able to get them front and center no matter which platform you click on.

* I just saw his post game presser where he blamed the players. I guess that Louis must be looking more like

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
Last edited by TerribleBPthrower

Looks like Prime is going to lose out with a 6 game losing streak after losing to lowly Stanford while being favored by 13. The real MVP of this whole thing…. Probably his son who is a social media whiz. There are much better turnaround stories in college football but he was able to get them front and center no matter which platform you click on.

* I just saw his post game presser where he blamed the players. I guess that Louis must be looking more like

He said he need about 7 more Dawgs

He said a lot more than that. Told the players they don’t want it as bad as him, they’re not built for the moment. I’d say the coaches aren’t built for the moment either. The things he’s blaming them for come from coaching and preparation.

That's ok.  Its called motivating. Coaching goes but so far.  Up by 29 points, Players need to execute.

That's ok.  Its called motivating. Coaching goes but so far.  Up by 29 points, Players need to execute.

Maybe he should try motivating Monday - Friday. This is on the coaches. So when they do well it’s coaching but when they suck it’s the players? How about not having your CB covering their best player go both ways.

They brought in 80+ players. There is no excuse. They recruited them and built this team culture. Maybe he should have called out his son for posting merch on his instagram during halftime.

Maybe he should try motivating Monday - Friday. This is on the coaches. So when they do well it’s coaching but when they suck it’s the players? How about not having your CB covering their best player go both ways.

They brought in 80+ players. There is no excuse. They recruited them and built this team culture. Maybe he should have called out his son for posting merch on his instagram during halftime.

Seems like you are Saturday morning quarterbacking.

Remember team was 1-10 last year.

Actually, I've never heard him say its only the coaching,  he might have said, we prep them to succeed, but they have to execute.

Also, he said he need 7 or 8 impact players

How do you know his son was posting merchandise? Doesn't Sanders have a son that does social media?

And if it was done at halftime vs on the sideline during the game, did it hurt his performance?

Isn't this a baseball forum?  Maybe let this run its course and move on to Fall baseball, winter portal, etc.

Where it applies to baseball is precisely the question of whether a team can be successful by bringing in a lot of transfers.  That was the Sanders question, and at the moment it is not looking like a huge success.

As we were discussing on the other thread (you provided information, CBI!), some baseball colleges are not bringing in high school students at all, just transfers.  It will be interesting to see, long-term, how successful those schools are.

I wonder if it's different for fall and spring sports?  At least transfers in baseball have the fall to settle in, practice, etc. with the new team.  Those football players got there in the summer and had to learn everything while playing games.

Where it applies to baseball is precisely the question of whether a team can be successful by bringing in a lot of transfers.  That was the Sanders question, and at the moment it is not looking like a huge success.

As we were discussing on the other thread (you provided information, CBI!), some baseball colleges are not bringing in high school students at all, just transfers.  It will be interesting to see, long-term, how successful those schools are.

I wonder if it's different for fall and spring sports?  At least transfers in baseball have the fall to settle in, practice, etc. with the new team.  Those football players got there in the summer and had to learn everything while playing games.

Can't compare baseball to football

What is the definition of huge success?  And what is the timeframe?  Again, Sanders stated that he needs about 7 or 8 dawgs.

Let's be realistic, they are better than last year's team.  More competitive.  Revenue is up.

It was known they had some deficiencies.

Next year they will get more talent, especially on the offense and defensive line.

At the skill positions, their goal is to get more depth.

As for baseball, it is getting older for many reasons. All which has been spoken about on this forum.  It doesn't mean it will continue, but that is the one of the paths schools are taking to fill rosters.

What will his excuses be next year? The lack of effort and focus is 100% on the coaching staff and the culture they brought in. The terrible defensive scheme is on the coaching staff. FSU had a roster full of “dawgs” and Charles Kelly managed to mess that up. You know how many schools offered him a DC position when Jimbo left for TAMU? Zero. Not one.

He brought in 80+ players and now just needs 7 or 8 more. Success? Not blowing a 29 point when favored by 13.5 would be a step in the right direction.

Yes, Colorado has a ridiculous increase revenue and a ton of new bandwagon fans (most of which are already jumping off). He and the media made the expectations unrealistic. Yes, they went from 1 win to 4. Are 3 more wins considered a success when you flipped the entire roster? There are guys who are doing a lot more with less.

Prime complained to the media during the week about 8pm start time with Standford, probably used the wrong wording in his interview and implied it was pretty late for his players to start a game.

Although one could agree about the start time, one article I read on ESPN mentioned that it obviously was no problem for Stanford players as they were used to staying up late studying for their exams!

I am pretty sure that there was a point trying to be made!

7 or 8 dawgs isn't going to fix the problem.  Don't blame losing on the kids who can't stay up late to play on a Friday night!

That's on Prime and his coaching staff. They really seem to have no clue on making adjustments. You won't win if you don't make them. Don't rely on your players to figure that out, it's not their job.

I agree with those that say it all seems like Sanders threw the team together so his son could have a better draft than if he stayed at Jackson.

Building a team, any team, doesn't happen overnight.

I am not really crazy about football. What I do love is watching how the coaches interact when the game is over, either with the other teams coaches or players whether they have won or lost and the humility at their press conference that comes after the game.

JMO

There’s a lot more timing involved between players in football than baseball. Turning over 80% of a football roster is going to be a lot harder to meld together than turning over 80% of a baseball roster.

Colorado has obviously improved. But I’m glad UCLA is going one way (Big Ten) and Colorado another (Big 12) so I’m not left exposed to Sanders’ horse manure every week in the paper for conference coverage.

Last edited by RJM

I open the thread because it has new posts.  The responses are hate pointed at Sanders.  What would you call it?   I call people who stir up hate toward a person haters on him.  Some have constantly talked hate about every aspect of the guys life on this thread.  If you don’t like him then say it once but they don’t have to keep coming back over and over to say they don’t like him which is hate.  In my world.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.