Skip to main content

Last night, the 8th and 9th innings of TCU/FSU game in Omaha were about as exciting and emotional as baseball gets. The two innings, and the ESPN coverage was right up there with watching justbaseball on TV cheering his son in that terrific 2008 game with Miami. Big Grin
The contrast between the TCU/FSU dugouts and players on the grand slam was poignant. Joy for TCU, the utter anguish for the FSU pitcher and players.
Turned around, in the bottom of the 8th, the anguish for that same FSU player making the 3rd out with the bases loaded. Again, I thought ESPN illustrated the emotions of success and disappointment in baseball in very real ways.
When they get to Omaha, it is easy and fun to watch and celebrate the winners.
Seeing the anguish on the faces of the losing team is touching and is one of those reminders that Baseball truly is life.

'You don't have to be a great player to play in the major leagues, you've got to be a good one every day.'

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by infielddad:
Last night, the 8th and 9th innings of TCU/FSU game in Omaha was about as exciting and emotional as baseball gets. The two innings, and the ESPN coverage was right up there with watching justbaseball on TV cheering his son in that terrific 2008 game with Miami.
The contrast between the TCU/FSU dugouts and players on the grand slam was poignant. Joy for TCU, the utter anguish for the FSU pitcher and players.
Turned around, in the bottom of the 8th, the anguish for that same FSU player making the 3rd out with the bases loaded. Again, I thought ESPN illustrated the emotions of success and disappointment in baseball in very real ways.
When they get to Omaha, it is easy and fun to watch and celebrate the winners.
Seeing the anguish on the faces of the losing team is touching and is one of those reminders that Baseball truly is life.

I felt the same way...

It seems you can see recruiting philosophies on full display as well. FSU loves bigger guys who can mash the ball and I think they'll live with the defense they get. Unfortunately, that cost them big time with 5 errors probably leading to their downfall.

UCLA has the most impressive pitching top to bottom. I believe most of their money is tied up in pitching as I don't see the offensive stars - someone set me straight if I am wrong.

I was impressed with TCU's hitting. I like the way their guys swing the bat - very fundamentally sound and smooth strokes to the ball. Matt Purke is the best pitcher I have seen all year - slightly above Gerrit Cole of UCLA. The young pitcher who closed the game out for TCU last night was very impressive. He was doing the intimidating - not Florida State's hitters.

Clemson is using smoke and mirrors getting to the finals. They are getting good pitching performances. Alex Fredrick came out of the bullpen the other day with the bases loaded and nobody out. Unbelievable poise there.

South Carolina is a fundamentally sound and hard-nosed team. Jackie Bradley Jr. may be the best pure hitter I have seen this year.

Oklahoma has some boppers on their team. I was surprised how many kids from California are on their roster.
Jackie is a former travel ball teammate of my son's with the Richmond Braves 2008 team. Before that, he was on travel teams that played against ours in the early years in central Virginia.

It blows my mind to see someone you've known since he was 9 getting the big (and well deserved) star treatment. Happily, Jackie is a kid you can count on to keep his head on straight.

The first time I ever saw him play, he was his 9u team's CATCHER, just because he could handle the job and had their team's best arm. But he could always hit, and run too. It was only a matter of time before he gravitated to his natural position. I remember Jeff Roberts asking me if I knew of a premium outfielder for the Braves, and I told him there was one playing on his brother's JV team if they would just move him off SS (where they had him then) to where he belonged.

Wonder if I could get residuals?
Last edited by Midlo Dad
quote:
UCLA has the most impressive pitching top to bottom. I believe most of their money is tied up in pitching as I don't see the offensive stars - someone set me straight if I am wrong.

First that TCU Florida game was the best game I ever watched.I agree with Cleveland dad that Florida had too many errors.I also agree that they have a lot of big guys that can mash, but lots of defensive errors.

As far as UCLA their pitching is incredible.My son faced it this year.I watched it first hand.The thing about their offense, they know they dont have tons of mashers, so they get the most out of what they have.They lost their second basemen and their reg. LF to injury.Both were good hitters, but again not power guys.

Having great pitching that does not give up a lot of runs, that takes pressure off the offense.Announcers have talked about that.When you have pitchers that can hold 1-3 run leads, it just relaxes hitters.
quote:
Originally posted by fanofgame:
Having great pitching that does not give up a lot of runs, that takes pressure off the offense.Announcers have talked about that.When you have pitchers that can hold 1-3 run leads, it just relaxes hitters.

Excellent point! I don't like to admit it but pitching will always, always, be the most important part of the game. The Arizona State's and the Florida State's of the world can club their way to Omaha but the teams who pitch the best are the one's who win.

I agree that great pitching helps the offense. Seems funny to say that but I believe it is true. Out of all the Omaha teams, I like UCLA's offense the least but yet, they are finding a way to get things done offensively. Their fabulous pitching is allowing them to do that.
quote:
I like UCLA's offense the least but yet, they are finding a way to get things done offensively. Their fabulous pitching is allowing them to do that.

Yep.

But watching TCU is inspirational.This is the year for the underdog teams.Aren't all the national seeds except UCLA eliminated.

ASU didn't look the same.What really struck me is when they got down they didn't seem inspired.When TCU was down in the eight inning, they were inspired.They battled.They showed me a battle.That's what I want to see in the college world series.Come in and battle.

TCU is just a great example of being an underdog, their first time at the CWS, and they are having fun.They have provided me with much enjoyment thus far in this series.
Isn't it great how the College World Series always seems to be filled with hard-fought, emotion-filled games? However, the same can be said for any number of regular season, weekend matchups between conference rivals.

Like its football counterpart, college baseball will never display the awesome collection of skilled players that the professional version offers; but, neither college sport will ever lack for rivetingly exciting, emotional games.
How about this last game with South Carolina and OU? What a game of twists and turns. Great baseball with outstanding young men on display. Man I love the way these guys handle things. No look at me stuff. Its all about the team and just finding a way to win. This CWS has been awesome so far. And now we have South Carolina and Clemson. Wow talk about an electric atmosphere that will be.
quote:
Originally posted by Coach_May:
How about this last game with South Carolina and OU? What a game of twists and turns. Great baseball with outstanding young men on display. Man I love the way these guys handle things. No look at me stuff. Its all about the team and just finding a way to win. This CWS has been awesome so far. And now we have South Carolina and Clemson. Wow talk about an electric atmosphere that will be.

Agree 1 million percent. I know of one team out there where the look at me stuff cost them big time.
Emotions have to be one of the most dramatic parts of baseball. I love it and hate it!

While we can all relate to the emotions of the CWS and MLB I would say emotions knows no level nor does it require any talent..... other than enough to get on the field ..... come to think of it, NOT getting to play stirs up some strong emotions too. Wink
Fungo
quote:
Originally posted by Prepster:
Isn't it great how the College World Series always seems to be filled with hard-fought, emotion-filled games? However, the same can be said for any number of regular season, weekend matchups between conference rivals.

Like its football counterpart, college baseball will never display the awesome collection of skilled players that the professional version offers; but, neither college sport will ever lack for rivetingly exciting, emotional games.

Dang Prepster...where ya been??

We missed ya buddy! Wink
quote:
Bauer...awesome!

Holaday...awesome!

Allow me to brag on my home town for just a minute. Omaha does such a terrific job with the CWS. I've never heard anyone come back from the CWS with anything but praise for what a great experience it is. This year my son's HS asst coach caught some games, yes he's a big Texas fan, and even the Texas fans had a great time in Omaha. There's no where better to host this tournament. While it will be different next year with Rosenblatt gone, the people hosting the event will be the same...and it will start a new tradition of excellence! Great job, Omaha.

Omaha...awesome!
Last edited by Tx-Husker
You're absolutely right, Tx-Husker, about the tremendous job that the Omaha community does with the CWS. It's evident everywhere you go during the tournament that the local citizens have worked hard to make it the super event it is. They're justifiably proud of its success.

...and, in response, to JB: I'm sorry to say that baseball has taken a backseat to a lot of things the last couple of years. However, I check back every once in awhile; and can't seem to keep my pointer off the "reply" button when I do.

Hope this finds you and yours doing well...along with other good friends here. It's great to see that the site is still the tremendous resource that it has been for quite a long time now.
UCLA's pitchers are fabulous but who did the schooling tonight? One guy pitched hard and was OK and the other guy simply pitched. What Blake Cooper did was artful. South Carolina is an old school team. Full of hard-nosed guys and great athletes who can play the game. UCLA is a thoroughbred team with overwhelming talent on the pitcher's mound.
If you were to watch the kid from SC (Cooper) throw a bullpen you'd be relatively unimpressed. He's 5'10", and was mostly mid 80's occasionally hitting 87-88 on his FB Monday night...but the kid was a competitor and pitched his rear off...I was impressed!

On the UCLA side, Cole is a Horse and will more than likely be one of the first five draft picks in 2011. I thought that he held his composure pretty well for the most part as things were going terribly wrong for him. It just wasn't the Bruins night, we'll see how they bounce back from this!
Both teams are outstanding. UCLA has some tremendous arms on that team. I was also impressed with Cooper and the way he just handled his business. I certainly would have enjoyed the game a lot more if that idiot Mike Patrick would have shut up. How many times did he constantly keep bringing up how Cole was pitching great but SC got so many "Duck Snorts" "Hump Back Liners" on and on and on. The guy is unbearable to listen to during a game.
quote:
Both teams are outstanding. UCLA has some tremendous arms on that team. I was also impressed with Cooper and the way he just handled his business. I certainly would have enjoyed the game a lot more if that idiot Mike Patrick would have shut up. How many times did he constantly keep bringing up how Cole was pitching great but SC got so many "Duck Snorts" "Hump Back Liners" on and on and on. The guy is unbearable to listen to during a game.

I don't care for Mike Patrick either. He is the king of hyperbole. He describes almost every play as "great!" If everything is great, the term loses its meaning.

I listened to a minor league game last night while watching the CWS with sound turned down.

It was an enjoyable evening and I was still able to figure out what was going on without someone yapping at me
You know we all knew what the story line going into the game was. Cole , Cole and more Cole. We get it he is a stud. We get it he is a great kid with a tremendous future in the game. But you don't have to give us a story line. The game will suffice all on its own. Let the game be the story line. It was obvious Patrick was doing everything in his power to keep the story line going once it was apparent Cole was not going to be the story.

When I am watching a game I want to hear commentary on THE GAME. I want to watch the game and listen to someone simply give play by play. The entire game he tries to shove a story line down your throat. I really don't care who wins the CWS. I like both teams. I think both teams are great and the players carry themsleves the right way.

I like Jackie Bradley Jr , he is a heck of a player. I remember him from the Richmond Braves and we played against him and his team at East Cobb. But do I need to hear everytime he gets up the same story? How he is a five tool player. How he said this, did this, did that? If he gets a hit "There he goes again!" If he gets out."OH he just missed that one." Save the hype. Save it Mike. Just call the freakin game.
quote:
come to think of it, NOT getting to play stirs up some strong emotions too. Wink

There is little doubt the team that played the best was South Carolina. They made all the plays when it mattered and deserved to win.
With that said, Fungo, as usual, provokes a lot of thought with his wisdom.
As the camera scanned the UCLA dugout, I could not help but wonder what emotions were being experienced by the one player, a senior, who started every game in Omaha except one...last night, when he did not play at all.
quote:
You know we all knew what the story line going into the game was. Cole , Cole and more Cole. We get it he is a stud. We get it he is a great kid with a tremendous future in the game. But you don't have to give us a story line. The game will suffice all on its own. Let the game be the story line. It was obvious Patrick was doing everything in his power to keep the story line going once it was apparent Cole was not going to be the story.

When I am watching a game I want to hear commentary on THE GAME. I want to watch the game and listen to someone simply give play by play. The entire game he tries to shove a story line down your throat. I really don't care who wins the CWS. I like both teams. I think both teams are great and the players carry themsleves the right way.

I like Jackie Bradley Jr , he is a heck of a player. I remember him from the Richmond Braves and we played against him and his team at East Cobb. But do I need to hear everytime he gets up the same story? How he is a five tool player. How he said this, did this, did that? If he gets a hit "There he goes again!" If he gets out."OH he just missed that one." Save the hype. Save it Mike. Just call the freakin game.

Couldn't agree more Coach. The whole story line leading up to the Championship series was how UCLA pitching staff was so dominant. Eventhough I didn't have a dog in this hunt, I like how SC had a plan at the plate and stuck to it. Make the UCLA studs go deep in counts and drive up the pitch counts. They weren't afraid to hit with two strikes on them and they did. UCLA never adjusted to bust the strike zone on the first two pitches and then go after the hitters with two strikes.

Well played SC!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.