Skip to main content

I watched my son play in a college scrimmage this past weekend. It was the first time I have seen him play in three years. My son was cut from a D2 team in Colorado his freshman year after the Fall season. After his freshman year, my son moved back to Connecticut and played a year of junior hockey. He also volunteered as an assistant coach for his former high school’s freshman baseball team.

My wife and I relocated to Colorado in 2008 and then Texas in 2009 for my job. Our son went back to college last year at a D2 school in Texas. He volunteered to be the student manager of the baseball team as the coach had more players than roster spots. While serving as the student manager, my son attended every workout, practice, and game. He would help keep stats during games or anything else the coaches needed. Sometimes he would fill in at practice if someone was out. One of his jobs was to play catch with pitchers recovering from Tommy John surgery. He ended up throwing a lot. He did all the workouts. Toward the end of the season, he was practicing at shortstop often. After last season, the coach must have liked what he saw. He asked my son to be a player on the team this season. Now he is working his tail off with conditioning, practice, and lots of running. I am very proud of my son for many reasons.
Special times Three Bagger enjoy it! My son is on his way home for Fall Break. They have been scimmageing for a couple of weeks now and this is his last break before Thanksgiving break. He will be home for a couple of days and head back on Sunday. I have not seen him since school started so I am excited to get to spend a couple of days with him. Have a great trip and enjoy seeing your son.
I finally was able to see a Scrimmage game today. It was 3 hours and nine innings of baseball heaven!

This begins only my second year of watching his College team work. Watching a seasoned College Coach in a competitive program take their team through the pre-game BP, and then infield/outfield "in and outs" is like watching a symphonic orchestra perform!

Then the nine inning perfecta followed, which along with the perfect 82 degrees, just made the trip! Pitching ruled the day. Surely, if we can hit our guys we ought to be able to hit anybody! We didn't hit our guys very well. Team looks strong even though the entire infield, expect 1b, and one outfield position will be new from last year.

Let Spring come and the games begin, I'm ready!
Last edited by Prime9
Scout Day today. Son called and said "he had a great day." I think doing well in front of that audience was a needed confidence builder.

It's nice getting that "enthusiastic" phone call. When I hear nothing about the scrimmage or whatever, then I know it didn't go well in his eyes. A double header scheduled against a JUCO Thursday that we plan to go see. Looking forward to that first real scrimmage game but temps are plunging to mid 60's. Guess I shouldn't complain.
Last edited by Prime9
Back from Mississippi and saw son's DII absolutely pound a DI twice 10-0 and 7-1 allowing only 4 hits total and one unearned run in 15 innings. Got to give applause to his coach on the pitchers he found this year along with several good returning hurlers. Saw twelve different Delta State pitchers and was really impressed. Team speed is better and there is a good balance of power to go with it. Really feel good about this year's team although our early schedule is a killer. Son had a good day with a single, double, HBP and several good catches in center. Overall a very good weekend.
Last edited by Three Bagger
Talked with my son yesterday to confirm the plans for the weekend. Their "series" starts this friday and my wife and I planned to take off Friday to travel down for some fall ball. He tells me he is "picking" one of the squads. Asked him later how it went and he feels he "has the squad"...

Oh my..... the eternal optimism of a "coach".....
Son called last night and told me Coach is giving him the ball in today's Fall scrimmage. As a college Frosh, this day marks his first collegiate Fall start on the hill
And you can be sure, Dad will be sitting in those stands watching and relishing every moment of this game. Wink

I've been checking this thread almost every day the past couple weeks reading up on all the great news that is being related here. I've attempted to respond multiple times but office work has gotten in the way. All I can say is....keep those Fall reports coming!!

Good Luck and may the good Lord keep all of our son's safe, secure, and healthy for the remainder of their college careers!

-ltf
I am headed up to South Dakota tomorrow to watch my son's fourth and final fall world series. It's always fun to check out the new freshmen and transfers and meet some of the new parents. This one will be a bit bittersweet though, since this is the last go around. The weather forecast is for highs of 60 degrees so maybe they can get it in before the cold sets in.
Last week my younger son who elected to walk on at his DII college in track and field even though he had baseball offers and not only made the team but is being trained to be a Decathalon athlete although he has never done half the events before shared this story with me. The track guys work out about 75 feet behind the baseball field and as they were going through some paces, here comes a ball over the left field fence right towards him. He said he ran up, scooped the ball just like he used to do in center field and did a perfect crow hopped line throw to second base. An ex high school teammate was warming up in the bullpen and started cheering, " That's my old centerfielder!" and the pitching coach started peering through the outfield fence to see who on the track team had the arm! The head track coach was there and he yelled to the baseball coach, "Don't even think about it, that's my Javelin thrower!" Smile
Last edited by Three Bagger
I see that three or four of you were heading out to Scrimmage games. How was It?

Prime's team played a DH vs. CVCC (Juco: Tim Hudson's old school, coached by the guy who caught Tim when he was there) Thursday. We left about noon for the trip and got home and to bed about 1:00am. It was a long day Friday but well worth it just to get our first glimpse of son this year and all the new players.

Pitching, pitching and more pitching was the story from both sides. They used two pitchers per game, we used three. One pitcher on each team was gunned throwing in the mid-90's and three others in the low 90's. All had good command and there was some filthy stuff on display out there. I almost felt bad for the hitters.

The teams split games and both were close. Jr. was 2-4 but what I was most impressed, and surprised by, was his defensive outfield play. For a Dad to be surprised by his son's play may be unusual. He was converted to the outfield and I guess they knew what they were doing. He had an sb and an outfield assist. Kind of made me proud since he's really beginning to blossom (in my eyes). He has a tough job ahead to get into the line-up though as all the older, more experienced starters that were ahead of him last year, are still there!

I'm continually impressed on each trip how far and wide the talent is spread at the College level.

I hope all enjoyed their games as much as we did!

Three Bagger: I loved your story!
Earl, it's SO good to hear that G is blossoming right before your eyes in such a marvelous way. He has so much upside and potential that I can't wait personally to see it unfold as well.

Mine came home Thursday for fall break and when he walked through the door I almost fell out of my chair. He had physically changed in ways I had never seen before. Stout, firm, slimmed up in areas, broader shoulders....just overall in great shape. In high school his biggest downfall was speed. I use to tell him that he really needed to remove the piano from his back when he hit. lol. But now he is running the mile in just over 6 minutes! I couldn't even come close to that when I was a young Marine!

He goes down this coming friday to Auburn-Montgomery to pitch an inning in a fall All Star came for players in his conference. He is really pumped as am I. Im going down early friday to catch the 1st 9 inning game and staying to watch again on Saturday. I am SO excited to be going.

Javelin thrower..lol. That was an awesome story.

YGD
Last Saturday I received a text from my freshman son that said, and I'm paraphrasing because it was a little more colorful, "Holy chit, I am starting DH tomorrow!" We drove down to Houston Sunday morning for a barbeque at 11:00, meet the players at 12:30, and the exhibition game against Texas State started at 1:00. Stanwoodson only got one AB but that didn't really matter; he has reached one of his goals in his own long term plan. I saw him at the plate with the Old English R across his chest and right about then I got something stuck in my eye! I was so excited I forgot to take pictures!

Watching him grow up and attaining goal after goal, with a few setbacks here and there, has been a fathers dream. All that he has learned in baseball, even if it ends tomorrow, is directly applicable to life itself. When baseball eventually quits him he'll be well prepared to handle any curveball that life throws at him. Good job, son.
I have noticed that we are all alike. We are all littl boy's and girl's on Christmas morning, we can't wait, we are all excited to go downstairs and see what Santa brought us. When I read whats been posted on this great site I feel so much better that there are a lot Parents that are as excited as we are. Thanks for all advice, you see we are new to the College experience and I assure you the posts have invaluable advice. Our son went to school in the summer and it was in our case the absolute best thing to do. baseball 21 had Tommy Jon surgery at the end of May so there will be no pitching till next year. He was recruited as a two way player and he was cleared to hit at the beginning of Fall practice so that has really helped. I forget who posted that the quality of College Players was thru the roof, but boy is that well said. BB 21 was a very good high school player and so is everyone on his team. We have played 22 of 26 games so far and he his has been forturnate to be the DH in all the games, but bear in mind we don't play any other teams we scrimmage amoung ourselfs so I am sure that helps him getting atbats. I'm not sure if its a league rule or just his school rule tht we don't play other teams. I'm sure 3fingered glove will know. Thanks again for all your help !!
quote:
He goes down this coming friday to Auburn-Montgomery to pitch an inning in a fall All Star came for players in his conference. He is really pumped as am I. Im going down early friday to catch the 1st 9 inning game and staying to watch again on Saturday. I am SO excited to be going.

Ken, PM me and let me know how it goes. It sounds like Josh is getting himself in shape for a great year. I hope so, love watching him pitch.

All the best in the coming year!!

Astro21; yes we are like little children in a candy store when we get to see our kids play and talk baseball. Not sure of the rule you are referring to but at sons school think they can play three unofficial games in the fall. I don't believe they can play any conference foes or the games would count against games allowed for 2012 season. Our Coach seems to like to schedule JUCO's. Not sure why.
BUM's son pitches great in GM2 of the Texas Tech Red & Black Fall Series. Rusty goes 4.1 innings and gets the win.

LUBBOCK, Texas - Junior left-handed pitcher Rusty Shellhorn and two other Red Team pitchers combined for a one-hitter against the Black Team during Red's 5-3 win in game two of the annual Texas Tech baseball Red & Black Series on Monday at Rip Griffin Park.

The victory gives the Red Team a 2-0 lead in the five-game series.

Shellhorn allowed a single to third baseman Reid Redman to lead off the game, which was the final hit the Black Team would tally the remainder of the game. Shellhorn (1-0) earned the win while going 4.1 innings and allowing two runs (both unearned) on one hit with three strikeouts and two walks.

Atta-boy! GED10DaD
Link copied to your clipboard.