Skip to main content

I am just catching up with the past few pages of this thread....my prayers go out to the coach who lost his father, the coach giving a kidney, play baseball's son, and all those that are dealing with adversity. Also a prayer for each of your sons to have a fantastic season.

Son is itching for the season to start of February 19th. He was asked to write a weekly blog article for his school's athletic website so I have really enjoyed reading these blog articles the past few weeks and seeing the teams activities and community service through my son's eyes. I have learned more about the team and about what they are doing by reading these blogs than I have ever learned from the little bits of information he sends my way.

I have scheduled trips for 10 weekends this spring to catch games. Can't wait!!
Last edited by cheapseats
My God Woodpeople!...again?

You Woodpeople are a pretty amazing bunch. You handle this all this stuff with such strength, and such dignity. While I feel for you, I also know that there is little that you have not faced (repeatedly)...and as a result you have proven that there is nothing you cannot handle. And while I would not wish this on you or your children or anyones children for that matter, I have to believe that having experienced such challenge, and having seen you persevere as parents that your children will have such stregnth of character, and such a great example of how to persevere that nothing will phase them. That is one of the best, if not the best gift you can give them, example and character. It ain't the physical goods, or the success, but the character that will serve them long and well.

Hats off to you!

Last edited by observer44
quote:
Originally posted by observer44:
My God Woodpeople!...again?

You Woodpeople are a pretty amazing bunch. You handle this all this stuff with such strength, and such dignity. While I feel for you, I also know that there is little that you have not faced (repeatedly)...and as a result you have proven that there is nothing you cannot handle. And while I would not wish this on you or your children or anyones children for that matter, I have to believe that having experienced such challenge, and having seen you persevere as parents that your children will have such stregnth of character, and such a great example of how to persevere that nothing will phase them. That is one of the best, if not the best gift you can give them, example and character. It ain't the physical goods, or the success, but the character that will serve them long and well.

Hats off to you!

What a nice tribute

I call both Woody and play baseball my friends. Woody uses humor in many of his writings but he is one of the kindest people I have ever met. Knowing play baseball, I am guessing she will be in tears after reading that.
Here's an amazing story: With two weeks to go before opening game head coach pulls team together to let them know he will be donating kidney to medical red shirt player who needs one

Coach Walter from Wake Forest is and has been a class act. This most recent act of heroism and selflessness is just amazing. His freshman player is lucky in multiple ways.
This weekend is a fairly big weekend already for the DII national landscape. #4 Georgia College and State visited #5 University of Tampa to kick off their respective seasons. The teams split, but more importantly (at least from a HSBBWeb perspective) is the performance of one of our own.

floridafan's son made his debut for Tampa today in the doubleheader. In game one, he was hitting in the three-hole, and playing 3B. He proceeded to go 3 for 5 with an RBI, 3 runs scored and was a home run away from the cycle. In game two, he started at 2B and moved to 3B in the 5th inning and again batted 3rd. This time around, he "only" managed a 2 for 4 day with a single in the 3rd and again in the 7th.

Totals for the day for floridafan's son: 5 for 9, 3 singles, a double, a triple, 1 RBI and 3 runs scored. Not too bad for a debut!

I had the pleasure of playing against floridafan's son last summer in the Coastal Plain League. He was a staple in the middle of the order for the Fayetteville Swampdogs and anchored the hot corner very well.
Last edited by J H
Thanks guys! We are headed back down to Tampa in a few minutes for the 3rd game in the series against Georgia College and State. We split yesterday.

Today my guy will not be playing 3rd or 2nd for that matter but is slated to get the start on the mound. He will also be the DH so that when he is done pitching he will be able to stay in the line-up.

Best wishes to everyone else out there and I hope that everyone throughly enjoys the games regardless of the outcome!

It was pretty crazy yesterday, it nust have gotten close to 80 degrees yesterday. Today I am wearing shorts! LOL, I feel for you guys up north. One of our players is from connecticut and his parents were in the stands. They said they left 5 foot of snow on the ground and -3 degree tematures with more snow expected today and tomorrow!
Last edited by floridafan
quote:
Originally posted by Three Bagger:
Son's only games in TX this season were postponed for Tuesday and Wednesday.
Sorry to hear that, that would have been a great series with ACU. Hope you make it for the opener in Cleveland! This weather is crazy, snowing again here, it was 60 degrees and sunshine yesterday!

GED10DaD
On a gorgeous winter afternoon (sorry to my friends in the North), Hot Corner Son got his first college action. He started the second game of a dh and picked up a couple of hits. I asked him how fast his heart was racing when the game started, and he said it was thumping pretty good. I was proud and felt privileged to have seen his first college game.

The team went 3-0 over the weekend so they are off to a good start.
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Corner Dad:
On a gorgeous winter afternoon (sorry to my friends in the North), Hot Corner Son got his first college action. He started the second game of a dh and picked up a couple of hits. I asked him how fast his heart was racing when the game started, and he said it was thumping pretty good. I was proud and felt privileged to have seen his first college game.

The team went 3-0 over the weekend so they are off to a good start.

They started him on his debut? Man, that must have been tough for him (and you!). So happy for you that you got to be there. We are headed out to Asheville to see LSA Son debut on the 18th. Hopefully they'll put him on the mound!
This is my son's senior year. He missed the last month or so of last season with what turned out to be ullnar nerve problems. Alaska Summer League cancelled to stay at school to rehab. Son had a great fall-ready to play his senior season. We've all been looking forward to the beginning of this season-already have tickets to fly to Myrtle Beach in two weeks for the Coastal Carolina tournament they're playing in. Shoulder pain started over Christmas break-rest, rehab, anti-inflammatories. MRI last week. Two days ago, scheduled his surgery with Dr. Andrews for a labrum slap tear - in two weeks- same time the team will be in South Carolina. Son's planning to be back to play his "senior year" next year. This is such a bummer Frown
quote:
Originally posted by floridafan:
Son's team heads up north to the freezing tundra of South Carolina today for games that begin tomorrow. We will be right behind them and look forward to a meal with Coach May and Backstop17 while we are there.

Sounds like a good time!

quote:
Originally posted by bcb3:
Two weeks into practice, and the team hasnt been on the diamond yet. Practices are inside and on the turf football field.

In three years of opening days so far for Junior, one year they got batting practice for the first time outside the day before, and in two years, their first outside batting practice was during game warmups.
Last edited by CPLZ
quote:
Originally posted by bcb3:
Two weeks into practice, and the team hasnt been on the diamond yet. Practices are inside and on the turf football field.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe our schools up here in the Northeast will be on a little more even footing when we come down to play you this year. Welcome to our world. Wink
OHmom - we are so sorry to hear about your son's surgery - we need to talk more often!!! BUMMER!!

I can't believe we blinked and it is now the start of our son's senior year!!! Wow - it has gone by fast!!! We are now in Midland/Odessa TX for a preseason D2 tournament at UTPB where our son started his baseball career - on the t-ball fields!! So many memories...

Hoping to enjoy every minute of this last baseball season - win or lose, strike-outs or walks, every crack of the bat, etc.
Yes CD! Congratulations to Backstop-17's son Adam for his MONSTER Homerun at the Lander Invitational Tournament this past weekend. The ball cleared the 335 left field fence hitting trees about 100' up in the air! It must have been close to a 500' bomb if we could have gotten the tape measure out! It was too cold to measure it off though.

Adam Pendelton
Last edited by floridafan
It was a bomb I was sitting there watching him hit and there was never any doubt. He also did a great job behind the plate. He throws very well and it sure wouldn't hurt if his pitchers would attempt to hold runners. His throws were strong quick and on the money and he never had a chance on a couple of stolen bags. He is a fine looking player on a very good team. I really enjoyed watching him and FF's son play. Good luck the rest of the year.
Coach May – it was great getting to meet and speak with you. By meeting you I understand how your son carries himself as the leader he is. The apple did not fall far from the tree as Jeff is awesome and the Lander coaches must be very happy to have him. I believe Lander will be very successful and become a DII force if what I saw this weekend continues.

It was a great tournament and hopefully Tampa will return next year and our schedules will allow us to grab some of those wings.

Thanks for the kind words and also good luck to Jeff and the team.
No I didn't get to see it. I hope to get back down there in a couple of weeks if it works out. Thanks for the kind words Backstop-17 good luck this season. AntzDad I love Fleming Stadium. Its an old Carolina League Stadium built back in the 40's. And the people around the Wilson, Rocky Mount area are some of the best folks you would ever want to meet.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Kremer:
My son's team's first game today was an exciting one. His team won it with a two out nobody-on-base rally in the bottom of the ninth to win it on a walkoff two run single by a freshman in his first college game.

Wish I could have seen it - but there was a web radio broadcast, better than Gametracker!

And a great start to the season for your son Jeff, 2 for 3 with a double, RBI and 2 walks - .800 OBP!

Good luck to him and the Blue Devils this season Mr. Kremer.

quote:
Originally posted by fenwaysouth:
Birdman14's freshmen son took his first official college pitch to deep CF for an RBI double. Dad was stuck in traffic, so I texted him the result. His son went two for four. clapping

Congrats on starting a college baseball career with frozen rope to deep center!

Great stuff - I meet fenwaysouth at my son's first 2 college games and we went to Buz and Ned's for lunch today. We don't have BBQ like that up North. I look forward to seeing his son up in NY come April. I think we are going to need to go to Arthur Ave then (Little Italy, Bronx, NY). Great time so far, rubber game tomorrow!
Congratulations to Jeff for an outstanding start, Birdmans son for an exciting begining and also Coach May's son for hitting his first dinger of the season!

Got to catch up, been at the field watching our own games!

Saw a real nice BBCOR bat down in Tampa this weekend in use by the opposing team, it is a Red Nike complete with BBCOR decal. Sounds just like a BESR bat with just as much juice. Can't seem to find it for sale anywhere...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.