Skip to main content

I see that there is about 195 days before the collegiate summer season begins; I guess that means that the Spring Season is just around the corner!

Enough of this Fall Season stuff! What’s past is past!

What kind of training or programs will your guys be doing through the Winter in preparation of the coming season?

Mine will be working with his hitting instructor. This may be the last season that they really work together, after 6 years we feel like one of the family.

Weight Lifting is all on his own, it will be up to him to stay in shape. Since he doubles as a pitcher, he is required to run 3 or 4x a week though.

This is the first Winter that I have not had a son to follow around to a showcase or practice someplace…I don’t like it very much…Everyone who is not there yet, “Enjoy the Ride”!

The Journey Continues!

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Jan 30th is Game 1 for son's school. With the holiday frenzy (including him coming home in about three weeks!), it's going to be here before we know it.

He's got three more days of early morning lifts, and then I'm not sure, groupwise, what they'll be doing. His roommate is a catcher, so they'll continue to head out to work a few times each week.
When he's back here, he'll work with me and a Korean pitching coach, and also stay sharp in the base gym.

Above all, we will enjoy every minute of his company for about a month, because when he goes back Jan 9th, won't see him again until late June!
My son has early morning lifting Monday and Tuesday with some hitting on his own and then he is driving home on Tuesday. We got the deer stands ready and some big bucks in our sights.

I am looking forward to having him home for Thanksgiving and just spending some time hunting , hitting and hanging out with former players and family. Its been a great fall and I will say a prayer for all your boys who will be traveling home. Do the same for mine.
Prayers will be with all the Boys traveling home. Son coming Tuesday night. Grandparents coming from South Florida and plan to spend Tuesday afternoon with PrimeJr. to see his Campus, dorm room (oh no) and the Stadium.

They finished "Olympic Week" competitions last week. PrimeJr. said that was a blast but now back into "heavy lifting" sessions and he is very sore again. They had a local JUCO in for a hitting session as they brought one each of the new BBCOR brands for trial. Per PrimeJr; "Omaha (TPX Louisville) and Surge (Easton) the best." Wants a new "Wood" weapon for cage use over the Winter. We will pick that out while he's here as he's moved from his previous 33" to 34" now.

Looking forward to hearing those four words I have really missed, "Dad, let's go hit!"
Last edited by Prime9
Safe trip home for all the players.

Mine will be home tomorrow after a weekend detour to the U to visit his girlfriend. My guess is he'll notice a bit of difference between his sleepy NC campus and south beach. Has a hitting lesson scheduled when he arrives.

We have a close and rather large extended family in the area with a number of cousins coming home from various colleges across the country. Looking forward to seeing everyone and the interaction among the cousins. If my gout allows I may even play offensive tackle on Thursday (boy does that statement make me feel old).

There's a lot to be thankful for. Best wishes for a happy and safe holiday to everyone.
This has been a great thread as well as the Fall Season thread. I have thoroughly enjoyed all the posts.

Most of you will get a kick out of this. Two days before my son left for college in mid-August, we had an arguement. I don't even remember what it was about. He told my wife and I, that he couldn't wait to leave home and get to college.

Fast forward three months, he is telling us (and posting on Facebook) that he can't wait to come home for Thanksgiving to see his family. Apparently, home isn't such a bad place as orginally thought. Wink

Everyone enjoy your Thanksgiving with loved ones!
Last edited by fenwaysouth
I am praying for all the players on the road this week. Stay safe.

Fortunately, mine lives at home while playing here in Tampa. Actually, he is probably at more risk driving everyday in our traffic back and forth to school and workouts than if he was driving once in a while back from school. He had Tuesday/Thursday classes only this fall, but he was at school everyday for baseball.

This week his girlfriend returns from FSU so I predict there will be limited baseball activity. He’ll enjoy a small break from the bullpens, catching live BP and the extended inning scrimmages behind the dish.

He will continue putting in significant miles on his road bicycle over this break and winter break. He rode at least 45 miles per week all fall and he can’t believe the difference it has made in his leg and core condition this year. As we all know catchers are not known for their running, but he sure can pedal with the best of them. He has learned to no longer let his body regress during non-baseball periods. There is too much competition in the game to spend valuable time reconditioning.

He plans on picking up the bat again in earnest during the 3 week winter break to get ready for practice/workouts that start right after January 1. DII still starts their season February 1.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving with your boys.

Floridafan, see you at the field in January.
Here at Rhodes (DIII) we had quite a bit of training to do but, officially, everything is non-mandatory. We usually get about 90-95% turnout at everything though. With tests, trips home, and things like that, guys miss now and then. We lift three days a week (time is optional on specific days, we just work it out with our partner) and condition in between lifting days at 4:15 once most classes are finished for the day. As long as turn out and effort is high, we play touch football until sunset on Fridays. Our off day is Saturday. Until break, we were on our own with long tossing and bullpens. For the winter break, we were given a more cut and dry throwing schedule to work with. I'm expected to comfortably throw an 80 pitch bullpen when I get back to campus for our first practice, so I have a pretty clear goal in mind. Lifting continues as it was while I have to modify the conditioning a bit since I can't train outside (some of us have to go home to a bunch of snow!). I believe our first game is February 4th, really looking forward to it.
Last edited by JPontiac
Ditto! Love hearing from players about life from their perspective. Wish more kids would post here- most of our info as parents is kind of second hand when it concerns the day to day college stuff.

Good luck JPontiac-hope all goes well for you in the off season and you're in great baseball shape when spring rolls around.
quote:
Originally posted by Bum:
Right. It's now just about patience. Hey, how's this for a pic.

Bum, Jr.
BUM - I had no idea he was in Lubbock. If you ever need anything, don't hesitate to call. I sent all my contact information in a PM. I know he's used to being away from home, but you never know.

Looking forward to watching him next season!!

GED10DaD
Last edited by GunEmDown10
Hi Everyone!

I'm at a DII School in MO. We lift 4 days a week, yoga on Wednesday, swimming (or as coach puts it, "aqua therapy") Tuesdays and Thursdays. Saturday and Sunday are off days. Conditioning is about 2 to 3 days a week for position guys. Pitchers have their own conditioning routines. Hitting is pretty relaxed, but we are expected to hit 3x per week. Get back to school Jan. 17, practice starts Jan. 18, season begins Feb. 19!
quote:
Originally posted by Backstop-17:
JPontiac,

When do you start spring practice and is it before your classes start?

Where will you stay and eat if it is before the rest of the student body returns?

I like hearing from players on here, so keep it coming!

We start captains' practices the day our dorms open, two days before classes start. I think we have a week of these captains' practices before we get it going with coaches. Other students will be trickling in those same days to get their books, finalize their classes, etc.
That sounds great JPontiac, thank you for replying. My son's DII team starts January 10, which is a week before school starts. I think all DII's first coach practice date is January 10.

Coach May and Florida Fan,

I just put two and two together and realized that with Jeff May now being a Bearcat at Lander University, the Spartans of University of Tampa will be visiting to play Lander February 11, followed by games against other schools that Lander is hosting that weekend.

I certainly hope to be able to finally meet and talk with Coach May if his busy schedule will allow him to attend that series...Floridafan, can we shame Coach May into it?
Here in the snow bound Northeast one of the local indoor places has open mornings from 9-12 for college players home on break ($10 no matter how long you stay). My son has been going with some of his old HS teammates, and the place has been fairly empty. It had a field turf full sized infield, and several bullpen tunnels. He has definitely been able to get his work in. He lifts in the afternoon. They go back to campus in 10 days.
My son has been working out every day with his best friend who plays at NC State. They are both catchers and its been great because they can do defensive drills together and throw each other bp. They have been lifting every morning then going to get in their work. Today another former player of mine Matt Harrison who pitches for the Texas Rangers showed up at the field and threw them bp and then long tossed with them. Its pretty neat stuff over the break to see your former players who haved moved on in the game work together and enjoy each others company. I am excited in one way for him to get back and get on with the season. And at the same time I will be sad to not have him around in just a short week from now.
Bet that was fun for him Coach! My guy only had 4 days @ Christmas break to come back to snowy/cold Colorado before heading back to AZ. Flights were good both ways and it was great to see him. He was able to do a quick re-cahrge on the batteries and then head back to lifitng/drills/long toss. Official season will start soon, can't wait! It's been a long time comin since he's been out since July. Back to 100% now.....let er rip!
quote:
Originally posted by fenwaysouth:
Birdman,

Give me a holler if you're coming to Richmond Feb 18-20 for the 3 scheduled baseball games (weather permitting in Feb). There is a great BBQ/beer joint place near the Diamond called Buzz and Neds.

I definitely will. Sounds like a plan. Although I think the weather may be a bit better when you are up in NY in April!
Last edited by birdman14
Son's team had a grueling conditioning test today upon their return to school. They had to run 14 timed 100s and if they didn't meet the time on just one of them they failed the whole test. About half the team failed. Those who didn't pass now get to join the weight/conditioning coach every morning at 6:00 a.m. for some additional "fun".

The days when baseball was about playing games and getting snow cones afterwards appear to be over. Smile
quote:
You can work as hard as you want to be the best you can be, but in the end, its still a game. That will never change

True JH, especially to those that have never played seriously. To those athletes playing at the highest level, it becomes pretty to serious when they enter the field between the lines! Then, it's serious!
Last edited by Prime9
floridafan- I was just in the Carolinas on vacation...spent New Years Day in shorts and no shoes walking on the beach. It was 68 degrees. Everyone else was in winter jackets and boots. You southerners need to man up! Big Grin

On the mound, huh? Didn't see anything of that in Fayetteville.

K Complex- They're calling for 20 inches here, just like the one we had around Christmas time. And to think 6 AM workouts start in a week...good thing we have a big indoor arena at school
Last edited by J H
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Corner Dad:
Son's team had a grueling conditioning test today upon their return to school. They had to run 14 timed 100s and if they didn't meet the time on just one of them they failed the whole test. About half the team failed. Those who didn't pass now get to join the weight/conditioning coach every morning at 6:00 a.m. for some additional "fun".

The days when baseball was about playing games and getting snow cones afterwards appear to be over. Smile

HCD,
My son had the same type of thing. They had to run the length of a basketball court 8 times in under a minute. They had to do that 8 times with a 2 minute break between runs. He said the first couple times were easy. By the 6,7,8th time kids were pucking in trash cans. Lucky for him he made it.

The kids who didn't make it had to run 2 miles in 15 minutes the next day.
I got a sniff of Spring baseball today. Intra-squad scrimmage; 7 innings of great baseball on a 55 degree day under beautiful clear skies.

Same scheduled for tomorrow so guess I will jump in the car and make the two hour trip. Better enjoy seeing my Freshmen play and hit now as he has been told he and the other five freshmen won't see the Field on defense this year. His starts, when he gets one, will be at DH. So I'm living large on as many scrimmages as I can get to. Pitching was ahead of hitting as one might imagine. One homer hit, to the short left field 340' line. Not getting any out at 403' in center with BBCOR. Defense was great, pitching was great, viewing was great, outcome 2-0 game; Prime Jr. 2-3 (singles) and one K (against number one starter). All in all, good day for for a baseball fan watching his son!

I'm getting real antzie for baseball to start but wondering how Dad will adjust to watching his son's team play but with him on the bench for the first time? Guess I will adjust as I wait for his turn to come?
Last edited by Prime9
Yep it's tough watching your son sit on the bench but just be grateful he's got a spot on the team. They're usually better about it than us parents.

Here's your chance to step up and support the entire team and make your son proud! Go to as many games as you can and enjoy it. You think high school went fast- college goes even faster.
quote:
Originally posted by CaBB:
Yep it's tough watching your son sit on the bench but just be grateful he's got a spot on the team. They're usually better about it than us parents.

Here's your chance to step up and support the entire team and make your son proud! Go to as many games as you can and enjoy it. You think high school went fast- college goes even faster.

Thank you. That is great advice and I'm going to do just that and soak it all in. It is pretty cool seeing how close they all are, really nice to know and we (Mom and I) really enjoy them all; great kids! I'm learning to root for them all!

Thanks for the support
Prime9:

I would say that you have a great attitude and staying positive is important as a lot can happen over a college season. A lot of these things may include injuries, extended slumps by starters, off field issues, pinch hitting in a key spot, and many more opportunities to get his time.

Some may not see it this way, but I see a positive in that the expectation bar has not been raised high for those 5 freshmen by the coach. Perhaps the coach wants to see who wants it bad enough to prove his statement to them wrong, who knows. He knows what a grind the season is and that several things change. It is rare that the way the season starts is how it finishes, I will tell you that.

All I can suggest is that your son work harder than anyone on the team. Take extra BP and extra infield work. Volunteer for grunt work, and be seen as a team player. It will get noticed.
Backstop-17 & CaBB;

Attended yesterdays scrimmage; again 59 degrees and gorgeous for a winter day. 1-1 game with 7-innings played. Jr. played well and I certainly enjoyed the high quality baseball.

We took all 6 (included our son) of Freshmen players to dinner afterwards. Amazing how much College players appreciate a good free meal!

I agree Backstop with your "expectation bar" comments and suggestions.

Prime Jr. was moved from 1b to the outfield and looked very comfortable out there making one great diving play and doubling the runner off first. I'm giving him the advice given by the HSBBW experts; don't let anybody outwork you and my favorite; "attack the baseball every at bat." Who knows what the Season will bring.
Hey Cleveland....frosh son playing AZ JUCO set to begin with an Alumni game on the 30th, then first game is on the 2nd of Feb I believe. Talked to him the other day and he was saying how different it is for him being from Colorado and playing baseball in the "winter." Said he loved it but it felt strange. He is extremely excited to get the ball rollin'. So is dad.....
I was plesantly surprised.....

Yesterday I got to watch GUN's future college team during their first day of spring practice, 70 degrees, sunny. Very unusual weather, typically 30-40's with a very cold 20mph north wind.

The team has been using alot of wood and BESR 2010 bats all fall practices and thru fall series. They are a Louisville Slugger shop and did not get their Omaha BBCOR bats until the break. They got them out of the box, unwrapped them and the very first batter, first spring pitch..... Yep, went yard over the 30 foot monster in CF @ 400(+) ft. Not a lazy fly, a laserbeam rocket. It sounded different, but it looked the same going over the wall. So, 4 of the first 6 guys in BP rotation hit at least one HR.

It did not sound like a bell ringer, but it looks the same in the book.

GED10DaD
Went down to watch my son's team scrimmage this afternoon. It was 36 degrees at game time. I had so many layers on that I was literally bullet proof. Man, I am ready for winter to hit the road.

This is a team with a number of senior position players. These are grown men in the 220-240 lb. range. What caught my attention today, though, was that the freshmen I saw five months ago who looked miniscule standing next to the older guys suddenly don't look so puny. Five months of weight training has changed some bodies. I hardly even recognize my own kid when I see him from behind.

The only thing less impressive than the pop in BBCOR bats is the pop in cold BBCOR bats. My son had a couple of knocks today, so he was happy about that, but he is still grieving the loss of the rocket launchers in college baseball just as his career begins.
quote:
The only thing less impressive than the pop in BBCOR bats is the pop in cold BBCOR bats. My son had a couple of knocks today, so he was happy about that, but he is still grieving the loss of the rocket launchers in college baseball just as his career begins.

Hot Corner Dad: I agree totally, Prime Jr. says it's like hitting with a lead pipe! I'm with you on the cold weather disappearing; please, please, give me 95+ again, I won't complain!

I'm going to see BP on the field @ 12pm today followed by a 1:00pm Scrimmage. Prime Jr. was in town yesterday (Defensive Driving course- oh these boys) and we had lunch. I've never heard him more excited about baseball! He's fortunate, as a Freshman, to be at a place where the players and Coaches are so supportive and positive. But his excitement centered around the last few Scrimmage games where he finally threw caution to the wind, quit worrying about striking out and started "going for it." He went back to his normal "leg kick" and has been driving balls to the gaps, off and over the walls. He credited his hitting Coach for telling him what I've been telling his since September; we've invested in you, we believe in your hitting ability, you have the fastest hands on the team, now clear out the area between your ears and just let it happen."

I'm anxious to see how the AB's go today and am thankful to the Staff who realize they are dealing with a young man that needs their confident support for him to perform at his best!

pay attention to the coaches who will be working with your sons when selecting your school, as we all know, they can and do make a huge difference.
Last edited by Prime9
It's my son's twentieth birthday today but haven't spoken to him because they're practicing outside for once (due to weather) and lifting this evening. Hope to talk to him afterwards before weightlifting and meeting this evening. Season getting closer and closer and can hardly wait! The good news is that I was able to get off and will be able to see his first games in Abilene Feb 8th and 9th.
Practice starts in earnest on Friday at The U but there were two inter-squad games last week Thursday and Friday. It still freaks me out to see the kid in the green and orange...

This was the toughest fall season he's had. Work outs stated in Sept. with 4:45 a.m. S&C four days a week and running one afternoon a week at a local park that has a big hill.

The kid spent the winter break throwing with his h.s. teammate now at Rhodes. They both had a "prescribed" workout from their pitching coaches.

Surprisingly the kid finished his first semester with a 3.1 gpa. For some this might not be that great but considering the kid left the house at 4:30 each morning for S&C and had his first class at 8am. We were all very pleased.

Weight training continued during the winter break with the kid working out on campus (20 min. drive from home) where he got to work out with the alumni MLB/MILB players getting in shape for Spring Training. He was one of the few local kids to take advantage of being around the big league boys.

He did say that this was the longest "break" he's had since he tore his ACL his junior year.

We are all looking forward to the first real practice of the spring which is this Friday. Then the First Pitch Banquet is the 12th, and the season starts on the 18th.

I am still in the pinch me stage. Nothing like seeing a kid who worked so hard to make his dream come true, live it.
My son's team opens up next Tuesday. But if you guys could keep his Head Coach in your prayers I would appreciate it. Head Coach Kermit Smith's father passed away Weds. They were extremely close and Coach rushed home earlier in the week when he got the call his father was very ill. His goal is to get back by Tuesday for the game but you know it will be with a heavy heart. Kermit is from Florida and is down there with the family now as his players and coaches prepare for the season. Keep him in your prayers you know this is a very tough time for him. I know many of you have never met Kermit and may not know who he is. He is one of the finest men I have ever met. Thanks.
Tomorrow and Sunday are our last intrasquad scrimmages before the real games start up a week from TODAY!

Can't wait for my first shot to get on the mound and erase any doubts about what I can do. I know where I can fit on our staff but I understand the dues to be paid on a team returning its entire staff from last year, which led us to #26 preseason ranking this year. Getting my 4IP in the scrimmage tomorrow ought to help!

Hopefully I can report back in 9 days about our 3-0 record. Even more ideally the 3-0 record would include an appearance or two by yours truly. We'll see how it shakes out, I feel pretty good about it all.

On a last positive note, we'll be enjoying 65 degrees and sun tomorrow, perfect baseball weather!

P.S. What's the problem with these new bats? I like them just fine! Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by JPontiac:
Tomorrow and Sunday are our last intrasquad scrimmages before the real games start up a week from TODAY!

Hopefully I can report back in 9 days about our 3-0 record. Even more ideally the 3-0 record would include an appearance or two by yours truly. We'll see how it shakes out, I feel pretty good about it all.

P.S. What's the problem with these new bats? I like them just fine! Big Grin

I love your enthusiasm and confidence. Just a suggestion from someone real old(experienced????):
Don't get ahead of what you are going to do tomorrow.
With your 3rd game against Millsaps, in Jackson, I wonder if talking 3-0 is giving opponents enough respect.
New bats or no, Coach Page is one of the best coaches in college baseball. His hitters are tenacious. He will put pressure on pitchers in ways you probably have yet to see. That will be a game where you will probabaly see the difference in speed and especially the intensity level of the college game.
I wish you all the best...but suggest taking them one game and one opponent at a time. With BSC, DePauw, Hendrix, Emory, Marietta, Montclair State and the SCAC West teams like Millsaps and Trinity in the tournament, you are going to compete against quality players and pitching.
infielddad- I look at JPontiac's post in a different view. We play a schedule that includes Mass-Boston, Framingham State, Messiah, Keene State, Amherst, Montclair State, Farmingdale State, Ithaca, Keystone, St. John Fisher, Cortland State, and Brockport...all teams that have made NCAA Regional or CWS appearances in the last three years. We play a total of 40 games and I believe that we should go 40-0. If we throw strikes, pick up the ball, run the bases aggressively, hit properly in specific situations, etc., then I believe that there is literally no one in the country that can beat us. Will 40-0 be reality? Well, the chances for that certainly aren't in our favor. But as somewhat of a perfectionist, I always like looking at things with the glass half full. If we lose, I believe that there are always things that we can look back on and analyze. There may not be one specific occurence during the game where something happened to cause us to lose, but there's always something. Some people say "chalk this one up to the other team playing better than us." I call BS on that one. Why were they better than us? What did they do? What didn't we do? What can we do from now on to make sure this doesn't happen again?

JPontiac- On another note, I will most certainly agree with infielddad on one thing (for the record, this was literally the first time I've not agreed with one of infielddad's posts). College hitters are a completely different breed, especially when you are getting to the level of play that some of your opposing teams play at. When you are out there, trust your stuff and focus on making the right pitches in the right situation. I hope that you do well, and if passion is related to work ethic then you will definitely be just fine. But don't take things for granted...just because you are out there chuckin' doesn't mean they won't be out there hittin'.
Last edited by J H
JH,
I understand what you are saying and where we may be thinking along the same lines, but not expressing it with the same words.
By your approach, I think you are showing maturity and experience which may or may not exist with a freshman like JPontiac.
I am not saying I am right and agree I may be underestimating JPontiac.
What I read you to be saying is to plan to go 40-0, to set that expectation, to create that potential and to demand that of yourself and teammates.
What I also read into your post is to be mature and focused and know you play each game at the highest level. Playing them one at a time, at the highest level, gets a team to 40-0. Focusing on each game, and making it priority, is the only way to reach 40-0.
My post may not have been fair to JPontiac.
If so, I apologize.
I read what was posted to suggest 3-0 might be overlooking the challenge, focus and intensity needed on each pitch/AB/inning to get there, especially when a player has never seen the quality of those teams/players and coaches.
Last edited by infielddad
quote:

No bad on you for this statement. I can read the "hopefully" and conclude your goal of winning them all.

Go get em kid, best of luck. Keep us posted.
I have been fortunate enough to have been able to watch two more Intra-Squad scrimmages this weekend in lovely 70 degree weather!

Prime Jr, as most know, is a Freshman so I've been watching his new College Team practice, scrimmage and play since August. The Season begins this Friday with a three game Series. Living in the metro area has allowed me to view some D1 level great College baseball through the years.

A couple of observations about the jump from High School to College that's been articulated on this site by everybody who has been fortunate enough to see their son reach this next level. 1. The Pitching is really good; it seems all the Starters have very good command of the strike zone and can throw three pitches for strikes with varying degrees of success. For High School hitters, this is a big change and challenge. 2. Every position player plays great defense. Again, a big surprise to many high school hitters as there are so many more balls cut-off and or run down for outs!

Not to be redundant, but it is a huge leap in talent and frankly I'm enjoying it. I was watching the Team conduct pre-game bunting drills yesterday. The attention to the "small-ball" game; stealing, taking extra bases, hit and run, sacrifices, bunting for base hits, is more pronounced at this level. Watching PrimeJr. was almost funny as he struggled somewhat because he has literally never had to bunt in his baseball career, until now. I love watching the Coaching Staff work these kids!!

Great baseball though, I can't wait.
Just a quick report from son in his first Alumni game and first "college" game. The young guys kinda blew all the wind out of the "old guys" sails. Jr. had a great day... 3-4 with two singles and a double....wood bat. Reported that he had a great day in the field too. First 9 inning game...got 8 1/2 in @ SS....as they were the home team. Was awesome hearing the excitment in his voice at playing again and having a good day. Look forward to hear from other dads on how well "junior" is doing.
Love this thread. We'll highlight a high school thread like this one as soon as someone starts one.

Prime9 - loved your post and all those things are true. Another interesting thing you'll see in college is sometimes, guys who weren't the biggest stars in high school begin to blossom. Luck plays a part in this whole thing.

J23 - you've got me excited as well
Prime9, and you warm weather folks are killing me! I go to weather.com to check the local weather forecast as well as the weather where fenwaysouth jr is, and a shivver always runs down my spine. Today it is 10 degrees in upstate NY, and that is cause for rejoice as it is actually in the double digits. Their first 15 games in March will be on the road in warmer climates. I've been shopping online for cold weather thermal underwear in preparation for the season. It is going to be a tough and cold beginning to Spring. But I can't wait for March 4 as well as seeing (in person) some of the HSBBWeb son's play in February. Good stuff is right around the corner even though it may require a wool hat, gloves, boots and thermal underwear. Stay warm!
Last edited by fenwaysouth
quote:
Originally posted by igball:
Here's an amazing story: With two weeks to go before opening game head coach pulls team together to let them know he will be donating kidney to medical red shirt player who needs one. Won't be coaching third base for awhile.
I knew he was a high character guy but that is very impressive.

Wow! That is not only impressive, it transcends the game.
That IS truely an amazing and selfless act!

We are looking forward to this Friday when we get the season started against a team out of Georgia with a doubled header, and on Saturday my son starts on the mound. Not sure yet where my son will play. Coach has stated that my guy can expect time at 2nd, 3rd, Center Field, First and on the mound...

Should be an interesting season, at least he wants the guys bat in the line-up!

And let it be known that my son survived the Pirate Invasion!

http://latino.foxnews.com/lati...ers/?test=latestnews

Last edited by floridafan
quote:
Here's an amazing story: With two weeks to go before opening game head coach pulls team together to let them know he will be donating kidney to medical red shirt player who needs one. Won't be coaching third base for awhile.

WOW.God bless that man.Prayers that both get through the surgery and return to health.
quote:
Originally posted by Bum:
quote:

Wow! That is not only impressive, it transcends the game.

quote:
Originally posted by floridafan:
That IS truely an amazing and selfless act!

We are looking forward to this Friday when we get the season started against a team out of Georgia with a doubled header, and on Saturday my son starts on the mound. Not sure yet where my son will play. Coach has stated that my guy can expect time at 2nd, 3rd, Center Field, First and on the mound...

Should be an interesting season, at least he wants the guys bat in the line-up!

And let it be known that my son survived the Pirate Invasion!

http://latino.foxnews.com/lati...ers/?test=latestnews

floridafan; that's the Preseason #4 Team in the Nation you are opening up against. No stroll in the Park although they lost a ton of Seniors from last years Roster that made it to the World Series.

Your son looks to have his work cutout for him this year as a two-way contributor! Best of luck. Hopefully we will see you in Cary at year end.
quote:
Originally posted by Prime9:
2. Every position player plays great defense. Again, a big surprise to many high school hitters as there are so many more balls cut-off and or run down for outs!

This has been what leftysideson has noticed and is thrilled about. As a sidearmer, he induces alot of ground balls. He says it's incredible to just know that your infield will do what is needed every time. Double-plays have always been my favorite play in baseball so this should be fun!
Well, the season starts on Friday and today, for the THIRD TIME in 11 months, my son will have knee surgery. ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair in March, another meniscus repair in October, and now another meniscus and ACL repair today.

Either the third time will be the charm, or 3 strikes and he's out.

This is his last season. The doc "thinks" that he will be able to play the last half of the season. Hmmm.... we'll see.
Last edited by play baseball
quote:
Originally posted by play baseball:
Well, the season starts on Friday and today, for the THIRD TIME in 11 months, my son will have knee surgery. ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair in March, another meniscus repair in October, and now another meniscus and ACL repair today.

Either the third time will be the charm, or 3 strikes and he's out.

This is his last season. The doc "thinks" that he will be able to play the last half of the season. Hmmm.... we'll see.

Arrgh... indeed.

play baseball - my heart breaks with that news. My thoughts and prayers for a full and speedy recovery.
Last edited by ClevelandDad
floridafan, the play baseball family is no stranger to injuries, sad to say. this kid also had Tommy John surgery the summer after his sophomore year--he wasn't able to play that year, either. His brother missed most of his junior year of high school due to a labrum injury--which required surgery, which he had in Sept. of his senior year. The doctor thought he was doing a nice thing by allowing him to play that summer--batting only, no throwing---but he was thrown at, the ball hit his wrist, broke both bones, so out that summer. The shoulder rehab was hampered by lingering pain in his wrist--turned out, the tfcc had torn. So, on the day of tryouts in his senior year, he was in surgery to repair the wrist.

His doctor told him that he had no luck---he didn't even have "bad" luck to turn around.

Really, I feel like "Eyeore"-- you know, the donkey with the black cloud over him in Winnie the Pooh. But I like the Peanuts characters better, so I'll go with Charlie Brown. I really need some of Snoopy's happy dance!

trojan-skipper----I don't know. I think it just never got fixed right.
playBaseball,

I know the feeling, my son had the ACL replaced 2 1/2 years ago. The first doctor we saw said he had a bruised Patella and to rest on it for 2 weeks which he did and returned to playing but never got better. After three months of trying to get to see a surgeon within in our plan coverage that knew about sports injuries, found out the ACL was a complete tear. Missed out on his first year of college baseball but had an excellent sports medicine program and now is back playing without any problems.
As someone else stated, the hardest thing to repair is the mental toughness.
Our prayers and wishes are for you and your son and hopefully as they say the third time is the charm.
I am just catching up with the past few pages of this thread....my prayers go out to the coach who lost his father, the coach giving a kidney, play baseball's son, and all those that are dealing with adversity. Also a prayer for each of your sons to have a fantastic season.

Son is itching for the season to start of February 19th. He was asked to write a weekly blog article for his school's athletic website so I have really enjoyed reading these blog articles the past few weeks and seeing the teams activities and community service through my son's eyes. I have learned more about the team and about what they are doing by reading these blogs than I have ever learned from the little bits of information he sends my way.

I have scheduled trips for 10 weekends this spring to catch games. Can't wait!!
Last edited by cheapseats
My God Woodpeople!...again?

You Woodpeople are a pretty amazing bunch. You handle this all this stuff with such strength, and such dignity. While I feel for you, I also know that there is little that you have not faced (repeatedly)...and as a result you have proven that there is nothing you cannot handle. And while I would not wish this on you or your children or anyones children for that matter, I have to believe that having experienced such challenge, and having seen you persevere as parents that your children will have such stregnth of character, and such a great example of how to persevere that nothing will phase them. That is one of the best, if not the best gift you can give them, example and character. It ain't the physical goods, or the success, but the character that will serve them long and well.

Hats off to you!

Last edited by observer44
quote:
Originally posted by observer44:
My God Woodpeople!...again?

You Woodpeople are a pretty amazing bunch. You handle this all this stuff with such strength, and such dignity. While I feel for you, I also know that there is little that you have not faced (repeatedly)...and as a result you have proven that there is nothing you cannot handle. And while I would not wish this on you or your children or anyones children for that matter, I have to believe that having experienced such challenge, and having seen you persevere as parents that your children will have such stregnth of character, and such a great example of how to persevere that nothing will phase them. That is one of the best, if not the best gift you can give them, example and character. It ain't the physical goods, or the success, but the character that will serve them long and well.

Hats off to you!

What a nice tribute

I call both Woody and play baseball my friends. Woody uses humor in many of his writings but he is one of the kindest people I have ever met. Knowing play baseball, I am guessing she will be in tears after reading that.
Here's an amazing story: With two weeks to go before opening game head coach pulls team together to let them know he will be donating kidney to medical red shirt player who needs one

Coach Walter from Wake Forest is and has been a class act. This most recent act of heroism and selflessness is just amazing. His freshman player is lucky in multiple ways.
This weekend is a fairly big weekend already for the DII national landscape. #4 Georgia College and State visited #5 University of Tampa to kick off their respective seasons. The teams split, but more importantly (at least from a HSBBWeb perspective) is the performance of one of our own.

floridafan's son made his debut for Tampa today in the doubleheader. In game one, he was hitting in the three-hole, and playing 3B. He proceeded to go 3 for 5 with an RBI, 3 runs scored and was a home run away from the cycle. In game two, he started at 2B and moved to 3B in the 5th inning and again batted 3rd. This time around, he "only" managed a 2 for 4 day with a single in the 3rd and again in the 7th.

Totals for the day for floridafan's son: 5 for 9, 3 singles, a double, a triple, 1 RBI and 3 runs scored. Not too bad for a debut!

I had the pleasure of playing against floridafan's son last summer in the Coastal Plain League. He was a staple in the middle of the order for the Fayetteville Swampdogs and anchored the hot corner very well.
Last edited by J H
Thanks guys! We are headed back down to Tampa in a few minutes for the 3rd game in the series against Georgia College and State. We split yesterday.

Today my guy will not be playing 3rd or 2nd for that matter but is slated to get the start on the mound. He will also be the DH so that when he is done pitching he will be able to stay in the line-up.

Best wishes to everyone else out there and I hope that everyone throughly enjoys the games regardless of the outcome!

It was pretty crazy yesterday, it nust have gotten close to 80 degrees yesterday. Today I am wearing shorts! LOL, I feel for you guys up north. One of our players is from connecticut and his parents were in the stands. They said they left 5 foot of snow on the ground and -3 degree tematures with more snow expected today and tomorrow!
quote:
Originally posted by Three Bagger:
Son's only games in TX this season were postponed for Tuesday and Wednesday.
Sorry to hear that, that would have been a great series with ACU. Hope you make it for the opener in Cleveland! This weather is crazy, snowing again here, it was 60 degrees and sunshine yesterday!

GED10DaD
On a gorgeous winter afternoon (sorry to my friends in the North), Hot Corner Son got his first college action. He started the second game of a dh and picked up a couple of hits. I asked him how fast his heart was racing when the game started, and he said it was thumping pretty good. I was proud and felt privileged to have seen his first college game.

The team went 3-0 over the weekend so they are off to a good start.
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Corner Dad:
On a gorgeous winter afternoon (sorry to my friends in the North), Hot Corner Son got his first college action. He started the second game of a dh and picked up a couple of hits. I asked him how fast his heart was racing when the game started, and he said it was thumping pretty good. I was proud and felt privileged to have seen his first college game.

The team went 3-0 over the weekend so they are off to a good start.

They started him on his debut? Man, that must have been tough for him (and you!). So happy for you that you got to be there. We are headed out to Asheville to see LSA Son debut on the 18th. Hopefully they'll put him on the mound!
This is my son's senior year. He missed the last month or so of last season with what turned out to be ullnar nerve problems. Alaska Summer League cancelled to stay at school to rehab. Son had a great fall-ready to play his senior season. We've all been looking forward to the beginning of this season-already have tickets to fly to Myrtle Beach in two weeks for the Coastal Carolina tournament they're playing in. Shoulder pain started over Christmas break-rest, rehab, anti-inflammatories. MRI last week. Two days ago, scheduled his surgery with Dr. Andrews for a labrum slap tear - in two weeks- same time the team will be in South Carolina. Son's planning to be back to play his "senior year" next year. This is such a bummer Frown
quote:
Originally posted by floridafan:
Son's team heads up north to the freezing tundra of South Carolina today for games that begin tomorrow. We will be right behind them and look forward to a meal with Coach May and Backstop17 while we are there.

Sounds like a good time!

quote:
Originally posted by bcb3:
Two weeks into practice, and the team hasnt been on the diamond yet. Practices are inside and on the turf football field.

In three years of opening days so far for Junior, one year they got batting practice for the first time outside the day before, and in two years, their first outside batting practice was during game warmups.
Last edited by CPLZ
quote:
Two weeks into practice, and the team hasnt been on the diamond yet. Practices are inside and on the turf football field.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe our schools up here in the Northeast will be on a little more even footing when we come down to play you this year. Welcome to our world. Wink
OHmom - we are so sorry to hear about your son's surgery - we need to talk more often!!! BUMMER!!

I can't believe we blinked and it is now the start of our son's senior year!!! Wow - it has gone by fast!!! We are now in Midland/Odessa TX for a preseason D2 tournament at UTPB where our son started his baseball career - on the t-ball fields!! So many memories...

Hoping to enjoy every minute of this last baseball season - win or lose, strike-outs or walks, every crack of the bat, etc.
Yes CD! Congratulations to Backstop-17's son Adam for his MONSTER Homerun at the Lander Invitational Tournament this past weekend. The ball cleared the 335 left field fence hitting trees about 100' up in the air! It must have been close to a 500' bomb if we could have gotten the tape measure out! It was too cold to measure it off though.

Adam Pendelton
It was a bomb I was sitting there watching him hit and there was never any doubt. He also did a great job behind the plate. He throws very well and it sure wouldn't hurt if his pitchers would attempt to hold runners. His throws were strong quick and on the money and he never had a chance on a couple of stolen bags. He is a fine looking player on a very good team. I really enjoyed watching him and FF's son play. Good luck the rest of the year.
Coach May – it was great getting to meet and speak with you. By meeting you I understand how your son carries himself as the leader he is. The apple did not fall far from the tree as Jeff is awesome and the Lander coaches must be very happy to have him. I believe Lander will be very successful and become a DII force if what I saw this weekend continues.

It was a great tournament and hopefully Tampa will return next year and our schedules will allow us to grab some of those wings.

Thanks for the kind words and also good luck to Jeff and the team.
No I didn't get to see it. I hope to get back down there in a couple of weeks if it works out. Thanks for the kind words Backstop-17 good luck this season. AntzDad I love Fleming Stadium. Its an old Carolina League Stadium built back in the 40's. And the people around the Wilson, Rocky Mount area are some of the best folks you would ever want to meet.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Kremer:
My son's team's first game today was an exciting one. His team won it with a two out nobody-on-base rally in the bottom of the ninth to win it on a walkoff two run single by a freshman in his first college game.

Wish I could have seen it - but there was a web radio broadcast, better than Gametracker!

And a great start to the season for your son Jeff, 2 for 3 with a double, RBI and 2 walks - .800 OBP!

Good luck to him and the Blue Devils this season Mr. Kremer.

quote:
Originally posted by fenwaysouth:
Birdman14's freshmen son took his first official college pitch to deep CF for an RBI double. Dad was stuck in traffic, so I texted him the result. His son went two for four. clapping

Congrats on starting a college baseball career with frozen rope to deep center!

Great stuff - I meet fenwaysouth at my son's first 2 college games and we went to Buz and Ned's for lunch today. We don't have BBQ like that up North. I look forward to seeing his son up in NY come April. I think we are going to need to go to Arthur Ave then (Little Italy, Bronx, NY). Great time so far, rubber game tomorrow!
Congratulations to Jeff for an outstanding start, Birdmans son for an exciting begining and also Coach May's son for hitting his first dinger of the season!

Got to catch up, been at the field watching our own games!

Saw a real nice BBCOR bat down in Tampa this weekend in use by the opposing team, it is a Red Nike complete with BBCOR decal. Sounds just like a BESR bat with just as much juice. Can't seem to find it for sale anywhere...
Congratulations FF and son! Great Game.

We took our son to his first college game yesterday. 'Had a great time, and totally amazed at the level of the game. We went to the UF-USF game to see Karsten Whitson, our home town pitcher, start his first college game. Our "small town" had plenty of supporters for him and his family. He did great-- 10k's, 1 hit, 1 walk, on 63 pitches in 5 innings. We also saw some great hitting, and fielding along the way. His mom confirmed to us everything you guys have already said about the hours and hours that go into practice and training.
It was an eye opener, all good.
quote:
Originally posted by Holden Caulfield:
Well it's been a long wait. First a prep year, then a lost year in college, but tomorrow son plays (or at least suits up) for his first college game. Unfortunately I have to work so I won't see it.

Go Penmen! (Southern New Hampshire U.)

Outstanding news Larry!

This whole thing is about how bad does the player want it. Your son has passed that test and now it is time to reap the rewards. Well done indeed!
Hey Rob, we made the long trip to see son pitch first college game so we saw your comeback against us on friday, but we got you back on saturday!! My player started on Sunday against you guys. Went 6 innings 2er 2w and 5ks, but still managed to get the loss. The way it goes i guess, but could have done a lot worse for his first start in school. Nice field you have at Duke, easy to rake!!
quote:
Originally posted by Holden Caulfield:
Well it's been a long wait. First a prep year, then a lost year in college, but tomorrow son plays (or at least suits up) for his first college game. Unfortunately I have to work so I won't see it.

Go Penmen! (Southern New Hampshire U.)

My son has a couple of really good friends he played club ball with for many years, on the SNHU baseball team. Best of luck to your boy!
quote:
Rob Kremer - That was one of our local BGA boys that started off his college career with a walk-off. I'll see his dad and little brother at a high school baseball dinner Sunday. Good folks but I expect you already know that. Good luck to the Blue Devils.

Hey Rob, we made the long trip to see son pitch first college game so we saw your comeback against us on friday, but we got you back on saturday!! My player started on Sunday against you guys. Went 6 innings 2er 2w and 5ks, but still managed to get the loss. The way it goes i guess, but could have done a lot worse for his first start in school. Nice field you have at Duke, easy to rake!!

Great stuff, guys. High Cheese - you have done something I have not yet accomplished: see my boy play a college baseball game!
Son made his debut today and it turned out pretty well. Team won both games of a double header. He started the first game and went two for three with an rbi, a run scored, and a stolen base. Played left field for the first time in his life I think. He was an infielder and catcher in high school. Watching the kid who's playing shortstop ahead of him, I am glad he's a senior, great range, great arm, and very smooth.
Congrats to birdman14's son on a fine start to his college career. The young man (a D1 freshman) is more than holding his own as an outfielder and is also a 2-way player. He got his first college win as a pitcher today.

Well done young man

BTW - imho, birdman14 is one of the good guys around here and one of our site's top contributors. Nice to see good things happen to good people!
quote:
Son made his debut today and it turned out pretty well. Team won both games of a double header. He started the first game and went two for three with an rbi, a run scored, and a stolen base. Played left field for the first time in his life I think. He was an infielder and catcher in high school. Watching the kid who's playing shortstop ahead of him, I am glad he's a senior, great range, great arm, and very smooth.

Outstanding news bcb3!

Those experienced kids are smooth and very tough to beat out. That is the part that all college parents can only learn from experience. It's no wonder that sometimes, it takes a year or two or three and sometimes four to finally break into the starting lineup. Playing in college is not just dependent on a given player's talent. Often times it depends on the other kids ahead of you. Luck is involved.
quote:
I know it is not the same Rob, but have you at least been able to watch/listen to some/many of them on Internet video and/or audio?

CD - Definitely! Pretty much every game has an audio feed, and some of them have video. It's far better than nothing, that's sure. I'm headed there in a couple weeks to see a weekend series.
quote:
Originally posted by baseball_fever:
Son played in first college games down in Florida. One of only a couple freshman to see significant play time. Did well! Could tell he was nervous at first. Had a couple of nice defensive plays - hit the ball well also. He was pretty excited. We were too. Smile. College ball is pretty cool stuff.

Congrats!
And cool indeed....enjoy every minute of it (the good and bad), it does fly by.
Last edited by Danny Boydston
quote:
Originally posted by ClevelandDad:
Congrats to birdman14's son on a fine start to his college career. The young man (a D1 freshman) is more than holding his own as an outfielder and is also a 2-way player. He got his first college win as a pitcher today.

Well done young man

BTW - imho, birdman14 is one of the good guys around here and one of our site's top contributors. Nice to see good things happen to good people!

CD - Thank you very much for the shout out and for your kind words!
There will be a pretty good couple College games tomorrow at Legend's field (Yankees spring training site). USF v. Miami at 4pm followed by UF v. FSU immediately following.

The four teams contain 5 of son's HS teammates as well as a few other travel ball teammates, plus several local and state players we are familiar with. Should be some fun baseball to watch.

It will be televised locally here in Florida.
One more reason why the HSBBWeb and it's members are so great! My son got his first collegiate hit a couple of weeks ago and as the game was in Georgia, my wife and I were unable to be there. But one of our fellow posters, Prime9, was generous enough to give me a little report, as he was at the series as his son is on the fine Columbus State team. It's this kind of sharing and networking that makes me glad I found this fine group of people.
quote:
Originally posted by manshine38:
Lander university takes 2 from #3 UNC Penbroke. Proud of the team. Coach Mays son Jeff had a couple of big hits. Go Bearcats.

Indeed Coach May's son Jeff had a big series and this kid pitched a gem as well and is 4-0 on the young season:

Lander University IP H R ER BB SO AB BF
-----------------------------------------------
Cory Hopper......... 9.0 3 3 2 1 8 29 32

Huge congrats manshine38 and Coach May!
Cory is so good. Jeff had the opportunity to catch some great arms while at UNC. From the first time he caught Cory in the fall he said he was the real deal. A big time talent. I am so happy for Cory and how he has helped his team win some big games this season. He sure makes my son look good when he is on the mound. Cory has a bright future and he is one fine young man.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.