Skip to main content

My 2017 is just starting to narrow down his choices of schools.  There are two schools he in interested in that are in neighboring states.  For one of these schools, we will be very close by later this spring so iI would love to stop by, walk around the campus and take in a game.  (They have a home game the night we could be there.)  In a perfect world, my son would love to at least meet the coach.  Though we realize he will be very busy, so we are not looking for any type of try out or lengthy conversation.  Just a chance for each of them to put a face with a name.  We have received the standard recruitment letter the school, so know we are at least in their database.  Should my son send a letter or email just to let him know we will be there?  He could follow up by trying to reach the coach via phone. (I know the coach cannot write or call him back.)  

Any thoughts on the best way to be sire the coach knows he is there?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yes, I would do just as you say.  Just have your son email and (then, if no reply, follow up with a) call the RC.  My son did this 3 times last Spring and it was very well received.  All 3 schools responded (he was a rising junior, so they did the "call/text the travel coach and have BucsFanSon call me" thing.  As you've no doubt known/heard, these coaches all want to recruit players that they know have real interest in their school/program.  There is no better way than to take the time to visit the school and watch them play on your own.  All 3 of the schools we did it with all showed interest and welcomed the visit.  One game got rained out, but that school still took notice and recruited my son.  In one case, the RC was seeking out my son pre-game and talked to him next to the dugout 5 minutes before 1st pitch.  They then spoke live that evening.  Absolutely, IMO, I encourage what you are doing and you should do it as often as time and $ will allow.

....should also add another nuance that helps.  And, I remembered this as we actually did this 4x (not 3).  It helps from competitive standpoint if your son IS on their board already and you show up and casually let them know that "we were nearby on a couple of other visits with schools and thought we'd stop by".  That could get them wondering, and they may even ask which schools.  Early last July, my son was invited and we took an UOV to a mid-major that had seen him throw a couple times in June.  There was another strong mid-major school about an hour away and right on our way home.  My son called that school's RC who wasn't in town but told us to stop by the office.  Turns out the HC was there and spent an hour with us, after which he had his vol assistant give us a tour on a golf cart.  Until that day, that HC had never known my son existed.  4 months later, that same HC came to see my son pitch in Ft. Myers and was his first offer the following week.  Point is, when we dropped by and said "we were on our way back from XYZ mid-major visit", my son instantly (I think) became a follow/high follow for them.

...sorry, lots to say on this one!  Another approach that could yield benefits is...if your son plays for a well known travel/summer program, have the Director or his coach reach out to the RC at this school and say you would like to visit and watch a game and ask if they could meet with you.  If the travel coach has a relationship, that will work well also...and might get more attention than just another email.

Dad;

If you visit the campus and watch the game. Study the Head Coach and his "non-verbal" communication with the players, his coaches and the parents before during and after the game. Also observe the coaches teaching during BP, Infield and bull pen.

During the game talk with the pro scouts, parents relative to the program.

The main question: would your son enter this college if he a had a second chance?

Prior to your visit call or e-mail the coach that you will attend the game.

Bob

<www.goodwillseries.org>

Area Code Baseball

By all means, go for it.

We did something similar my son's junior year before he was on anyone's radar. 

He wanted to visit a particular out of state school that was located near a trip we were taking. 

Sent an email to the coach--who had never heard of him--explaining who he is, why he was interested in the school, and when we were coming to watch a game. 

An assistant coach responded graciously, gave him free admission to the game, and chatted with him for a couple minutes before the game. It was light and easy on both sides and never led further, but the unsolicited visit seemed perfectly ok to the coach. 

Filed under the category of "every situation is different", our experience has been that low DI and DII/III programs are happy to meet potential prospects almost any time. My 2015 and I stopped at a low DI on the way to a summer tournament once just to take a quick look at the campus. While we were scouting the baseball facilities, an assistant coach introduced himself and took us into the offices to meet the HC. The school wasn't a good fit for my son for several reasons (none baseball), but they did follow him after that visit.

Just returned from Florida where I was watching son's college team whereI ran into a college coach from another team that we met during my son's recruiting year. We had  just stopped by his office, no appointment. We were in the middle of traveling from one school to another that was actively recruiting my son but he had some interest This school.So we decided to stop by just to take a look at the school. On a whim we went by the baseball office and stuck our head in the office. The assistant coach who,was also,the recruiting coach, was in and invited us in. He spent 30 minutes talking to my son, it was very enlightening and was very helpful in our process.

so when I had a chance to run into,him this week, I took the opportunity to remind hima dn thank him for his time. Would you know it, he rememore the visist ( this was 5 years ago. So I would advise you to make unannounced visits.

Couple of thoughts….

Absolutely drop in to campuses when you can.  Find a park bench and watch the ebb & flow of campus for a few minutes.  Open up doors.  Speak to anyone that will give you a moment.  Most students & professors love talking to prospective students (unless they are late for class).

Coaches, at their core, are not only employees of the college but also ambassadors of the institution.  If and when any kid & family pop into their office most will be very cordial.  Obviously they are at work and that needs to be respected.  But if they have a moment most are more than happy to talk & show off the school that writes their check.

The advice given above about checking in before is good.  But don't let a non-response keep you from walking around.

If you want your kid to get a chance to have almost 20 Private Tours over 4 days in VA, NC or SC with the coaches of each school check out our College Bus Tours.  Lots of learning squeezed into a short amount of time!

Rich

www.PlayInSchool.com/bus_tour

Dadofa17,

When I was in your shoes, I would always stop by campuses when I was travelling on business or pleasure. If it was on my oldest son's list, we'd go whether it was impromptu or if he could get time with the baseball coach.  Later in his recruiting process the schools were many states away.  I made a point of checking them out (on business trips) and watching a practice or a mid-week game if I could when I was in the area.  The most difficult part of visiting a campus is usually parking.  

With the price of education these days, my wife and I wanted to make sure it was the right school and baseball program.  There is no money tree in our backyard.  Brochures, websites, and discussions with coaches are typically describing the "best side" of the University or baseball program.  I wanted to see the warts (too) for myself.....and I saw plenty. 

In addition, if you are considering multiple schools in VA or NC, I strongly encourage you to follow up with PIS.  His VA Bus Tour was an awesome experience for my youngest son.

Good luck!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.