Skip to main content

You don't win scrimmages.  You can play better and score less runs.  No one cares.  Just play well.

And if you are like this at home, I'd wonder what your son/wife thinks.  Both of my sons would have already called me on the carpet if I acted like you. 

Good luck to your son.  Just tell him to do the best that he can.  He can always go into the portal in December.

@Rockers posted:

Lost and Didn’t pitch. Like I said he is being used as a Batting practice pitcher to get the team ready for play. Supposed to pitch Sunday to again give the team somebody to hit off of.

What questions were asked when he was recruited? Did he ask, “where do you see me fitting in your program”. Or did you all just have stars in your eyes?  Control what you can control.  You can’t control playing time, get bigger, stronger.  Or you can just tell him to quit.

I feel we are being trolled….

@Rockers posted:

Lost and Didn’t pitch. Like I said he is being used as a Batting practice pitcher to get the team ready for play. Supposed to pitch Sunday to again give the team somebody to hit off of.

So what actually are you upset about? He is obviously getting work in and true they may be sacrificing his arm this time of year instead of a better younger arm, but be aware what you are suggesting throwing batting practice has bad implications.  In all my years watching batting practice I have never seen anyone other than a coach throw BP behind a sreen. The only concern should be over use.

Are you upset that he wasn't able to pitch against a top D1 team in a scrimmage, which btw essentially means nothing unless he was a top draft prospect, because you figured scouts would be there? Trust me they will be everywhere next spring.

Coaches bring in junior, seniors, grad transfers for their leadership and experience.  The stats gathered during fall practice means very little until the real deal or again unless you are a top draft prospect.

We are all either past or present parents of baseball players. Been there and done it, some several times.

Be careful who you call an idiot. You never know who is at the other end of the argument!

@Rockers posted:

I still don’t think you all get my point so let me try this one more time. 20 pitchers are on the team. 13 pitched. 3 are injured. 4 were not on the card to pitch one being my son. So what does that tell you?

It tells me absolutely nothing.  There are 3 possible people that know why.  His HC, PC, and your son.  If you are hell-bent on finding the answer, then you need to go to them.

Those of us that have been around know that college students don't share/disclose 100% everything with their parents.  You are not the first parent to come here with a playing time situation.  I shared my playing time situation with you, and I still don't know what the HC was thinking at the time.  That was the HCs call, and I let my son handle his business. 

Feel free to come back when you have the answer.   If I'm reading the room right, I think everybody here is done taking wild @ss guesses.

Good luck!

Once they’re adults there’s very little we can or should control. Events that impact our kids and how they struggle through them are often those things that build the most character and motivation for change. All we can do is emotionally support them in a way that’s best suited for our individual kid.

I have a tactic I’ve been refining for years (I say refining, because I often relapse). If a situation or individual causes me to react or behave in a manor that’s inconsistent with the person I strive to be (my best self), then I’ve been beaten. I’m competitive, and I don’t like to lose. I’ve turned character into a competition, not sure it’s a healthy method, but it’s served me well for going through things like playing time, coaching bizarreness and parental politics.

I had a whole season of driving 7 hrs. round trip (every weekend) to watch my son not play (12 innings for the year). Why didn’t the coach pitch him, no clue, the Padres tried to draft him in the late rounds at the end of that season. For whatever reason the juco coach didn’t pitch him, and I needed to stay positive and be supportive to my son.

It should be fine to vent here, but there are no answers to your questions – coaches being coaches. Remember, half of a subset of anything is below average…

Good luck and best wishes on the upcoming season!

@Rockers posted:

Like I said he is being used as a Batting practice pitcher to get the team ready for play. Supposed to pitch Sunday to again give the team somebody to hit off of.

You may get your answer as soon as the upcoming holidays but your previous aforementioned thread begs the question... Have you not already "won"? You clearly stated what your goals were at that time, and your son is apparently now at a D1 school which hopefully also satisfies desired academics.

I'm empathetic to your plight. I've had my share of public (& private) mania and anxiety/ depression on these forums. We are all human. I reread them from time to time to remind us how far we've come, and that yes, (some) personal growth IS possible even for old dogs like me. Try to stay in the moment. Reflecting upon the past and what may have been often leads to depression and worrying excessively about what's to come anxiety. Ive been in both places, and it's a constant struggle. Last thing I want to do is project that on my kiddo.

It is my understanding that many competitive D1 programs concerns with the rule changes were about how they were going to be able to successfully inter-squad and scrimmage during the fall due to lack of arms. It IS still "early", but perhaps not as early as everyone thinks. The only thing I can say here is stay positive, remember what your original goals were (as you have seemingly accomplished them at this point in time). From my perspective, you're playing with house money so to speak. If the goal posts have moved, and the desire is not to only play and graduate from a D1 program and more about conspicuous contribution and perhaps even playing at the NEXT level, then the portal is STILL there IF it becomes necessary. The loftiest of goals often require the most tunnel visioned & blinding, singularly focused sacrifice. Your previous thread suggests no lack of blinding singularly focused ambition, which in some ways is admirable, as it IS the very core and essence of what I think Jucodad is conveying as competitiveness. However I would caution, again from personal experience, about perpetually moving the goal posts. It's not fair to anyone, (obviously to your son) , but also yourself.

And the irony is that elephant in the room is that looking at where your kid is now, many in that previous thread seem to have given you very good advice. Advice 'round here is free. Ignore it at your peril.

One can only control what they can control and do one's best to stay in the moment. Good luck to you and your son! I'm personally rooting for him. NEVER underestimate the singularly driven underdog...

Last edited by GratefulNTXlurker

I'm sympathetic, having also been in a situation where we had no idea what the coach was doing (that was in HS).  I think you were hoping that someone would come on and say that their son didn't pitch in a fall game but still pitched in the spring, and no-one has said that.  JucoDad's reply is the closest - it should be noted that his son is now a MLB pitcher.

All of us, though, know that things change from fall to spring, mostly due to injuries.  Coaches really don't know what's going to happen, and they need as many reserve players as possible.  So, as someone said much earlier, your son has to stay ready to go for when he gets his chance.

Thanks all! It’s just very frustrating as you all know to figure out what in the heck are the coaches thinking. I do appreciate all the honest feedback. We all want the best for our kids.

At this point he is staying where he is no matter what. Like I said before getting a degree is priority 1. Baseball in my eyes is a bonus. We are not getting any money from them.

I did forget to mention he started the first scrimmage of the year. Only eight pitchers pitched. I need to go back and see how they mixed everything up thereafter.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.