Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ken,
I know of several players going to Area Code that Epitomize the definition of TEAM when it comes to playing the game for their teams. Many of which would bypass Area Code to play for their team in Farmington if they were fortunate enough to have gotten there.

If it is true that only "TEAMS" go to Farmington and "players" go to Area Code, why do these "TEAMS" find it necessary to pick up other "players" to get there. A real TEAM would do it with their own "PLAYERS".
quote:
Originally posted by honest and unbiased:
Ken,
I know of several players going to Area Code that Epitomize the definition of TEAM when it comes to playing the game for their teams. Many of which would bypass Area Code to play for their team in Farmington if they were fortunate enough to have gotten there.

If it is true that only "TEAMS" go to Farmington and "players" go to Area Code, why do these "TEAMS" find it necessary to pick up other "players" to get there. A real TEAM would do it with their own "PLAYERS".

Hmmm, seems to me that many of our sons have been on teams that borrow other players or have been the player borrowed. Does that mean there are no "real teams" out there?
Collikar,
You are right. I personally don't feel there is anything wrong with picking up players. My son has guest played with a number of teams over the years.

I just think that some of Ken's posts do an injustice to many of the kids that attend a showcase or go to an event such as Area Code. A kid can still be a team player and attend these types of events under the right circumstances. Those circumstances being that his team always comes first in the event of a conflict.
quote:
Originally posted by Vance34:
Wonder if KEN would catch in bullpen at Area Code. Since MOST of those "PLAYERS" will have plenty of money! But you can do some good fishing in Farmington, You clean fish to, KEN?

Sure do. Love cleaning fish. Won't catch in the bullpen for you at AC though for two reasons. 1. I could care less about that event 2. I'll be in Farmington.

Have fun at AC Vance. I'm sure it will be a fulfilling experience.

Hey Vance, got any stats on the numbers of players signed professionally directly due to the attendance of AC?
Last edited by Ken Guthrie
H&U, I understand your frustration -- that's why I want to keep this topic on target -- and not get into side discussions that feed other agendas. We all know where KG stands on the AC subject. The season is over for most teams -- no one should have a problem with AC at this point. I still see being selected as a tremendous honor.
I experienced the benefits of being picked up first hand last year. It's a great honor, and even a better accomplishment when you can go out and perform for that team that picked you up. I must say, if any of you would know, how nervous would you (or your kid) be if he was a drafted player forced into serious situations? Last year I didn't sleep at all.
Dtiger, well said. I too got to experience this first hand, back in 1981 at the ripe age of 9 years old and I know exactly what you mean. I was a drafted player and honestly felt like I had tons of pressure on me as I came as a younger player and took over at 3rd base for the regionals and nationals (Farmington and Rockford, IL) back then. The AABC tournaments are absolutely intense and something that every kid should be so lucky to be able to experience.

From another thread about the Puerto Rican fans, AMEN to that. I also got to play in Nationals in Puerto Rico and talk about passion for a ballclub. Those fans are INTENSE! Gotta love it though.
quote:

I just get tired of Mr. Guthrie's constant negative comments on other events.

As I get tired of the continuous wave of self promoting events taking precedence over team events.

No matter how you look at it, it is bad for the game of baseball AS A WHOLE. Yes, there are the exceptions for the individual. Good things can happen for an individual player. But is that why we and our sons play baseball?

As a matter of fact, yes I am guilty of portraying a negitive angle of sanctions such as AC and other "showcase" type events. For this I should sincerely apoligize. Seriously.

What I really need to do is find a way, with no confrontation, to promote the team events.

It is not AC or any other sanction that I disagree with. It's the concept in general. Any event that takes away from the team concept is against what this game is about........................."In my opinion".

And I guess that's where I need to back off a bit. It is only my opinion.

I just hate to see the game centered around individual work outs vs. team oriented events.

I sincerely, will try to keep my opinions as just that........opinions. But please remember, I don't share these with false idenity. I have no shame. It is what I truely believe to be good and bad for the amatuer game as a whole.

Side note-

I had 3 very nice lengthy conversations with "baseball" people this weekend about my "opinions".

1- Professional Full Time Scout

2- High Profile Division 1 coaches.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear their point of view on the situation. I wish I had a recorder. Wink

Anyhow, I know it's a tired topic. I just can't find a way to let something I believe in so much go away.

I promise I will try, at least in a more diplomatic way.
Last edited by Ken Guthrie
Ken,
I promised PD that I wouldn't go off topic on this thread again but have to say that I agree with many of your views on this subject. I am however curious to get some more in depth opinions from you concerning the TEAM concept. Perhaps we can talk in person sometime or even do it under another topic on this board.

Now back on topic. Here's to hoping all the Metroplex teams and players do well in Farmington.

Tom Shepherd
Well Ken...your passion for this discussion cannot be questioned. My son wants his TEAM to win every game they play, regardless of how they are formed. As a guest player -- he always wanted to win! -- not just the games he played in, but every game. Kids are assigned to teams at Area Code and other showcase tournaments -- and asked to SH, move runners, and otherwise sacrifice individual heroics to help their squads in game situations. The events aren't beauty pagents alone. (They usually mix in the swim suit competitions between games.) Smile

Despite its redundancy, I think this topic has reaffirmed team commitments for many --- perhaps others have considered the need to have clear understandings of these issues before the season begins.
quote:
Ken,
I promised PD that I wouldn't go off topic on this thread again but have to say that I agree with many of your views on this subject. I am however curious to get some more in depth opinions from you concerning the TEAM concept. Perhaps we can talk in person sometime or even do it under another topic on this board.

Now back on topic. Here's to hoping all the Metroplex teams and players do well in Farmington.

Tom Shepherd

Agreed. If you start the thread, you know I will be more than happy to share my "opinions". Big Grin

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.