Skip to main content

Shep's Going Matthews!!! Did anybody see the unbelievable, spectacular, marvelous, and most fabulous catch by any outfielder in the history of great catches today??!! Watch sports center and you will see it today along with Ibanez's catch which pales in comparison to Matthew's catch! Good night board! Smile

WEB GEM OF THE AGES!!

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

TWO outstanding catches in one day! Have to admit they are probably two of the best catches I've
ever seen and I HAVE seen Mays' catch of Wertz' fly ball. Actually, that wasn't even Mays' best
catch-he made a catch jumping over top of Bobby Bonds(I believe) that was more impressive. The catch in the '54 World Series was great because of the timing-funny how years tend to make things
more impressive than they actually were. IMO Mays' catch of '54 was good but I've seen plenty that have been more spectactular--and I'm one who thinks Mays is the best centerfielder of all time. Smile
the catch Mathews made was the same catch Cabrera (Yankees) made last week off Manny saving the game

Nole--as or me getting real--look in the mirror sir-- you are the one who does think outside that little world you live in--you are so enamoured by one White Sox victory year you are blinded by it.

As for difficulty both catches were difficult--

By the way nole--you cannot term something the greatest in the game if you have not seen them all---it may be the greatest in your mind but not necessarily in the history of the game
Last edited by TRhit
David Wright bare hander, Mays of course, Lynn 75 playoffs, Brian Giles going over the wall last year, Rowand into the wall and yes, Matthews' catch were all oustanding. I wouldn't want to have to vote on any of these.
My dad saw Mays play games in the polo grounds. He guessed Mays had to run over 100-125 feet to get that ball and the runway at the grounds was 475 and it was world series catch.
I completely agree with the title of this thread, that was the greatest catch I have ever seen, and I have seen Willie Mays' catch on numerous replays and shows.

As far as degree of difficulty and athleticism, Matthews Jr's catch is heads and tails above Mays in this one instance.

If Willie Mays makes his catch in a regular season game, we may never have talked about it.(Jim Edmonds has made that same catch at least a dozen times)

People will talk about Matthews Jr's catch for a long while.

If you haven't had a chance to see the catch it is on MLB.com's front page. You dont want to miss this one.
Last edited by SonOfAMoc
ITS

I owe you an apology...just realized I started a thread with same catch after you had already beat me to the punch! I apologize. Peace, Shep

coachric

I had completely forgotten about that barehanded catch by Wright a while back this season but do remember seeing it on ESPN and WOW! That was a great catch! With your dad's lifelong memories from baseball greats he prolly saw at the Fairground games, it's no wonder you have such a great passion for the game! I strongly advise any fathers out there to take their sons to ballgames every chance they get because it will have lasting impression. BTW, I passed along the info you sent me. He said and I quote, "Thank you so much". Smile

TRHit

That was a classical catch by Mays with a huge area to cover in outfield. Smile

Moc1, SonOfAMoc & SoxNole

You saw it like I saw it! Unbelievable catch!!! Smile
Last edited by Shepster
quote:
As I said Cabrera may the same catch on Manny and it saved the game--but you guys never saw that catch---both were excellent but not in the class of that Mays catch

And people want to forget that Mays kept runners from moving up as well on the same play

Guess that proves it--How wrong could I be?
Kay,

In 1981 - I was at a wedding reception.

As they were beginning to serve the food - one of the drunken guys at the wedding knocked into one of the waiters. The waiter had a beautiful plate of veal parmigiana on his tray.

I saw the play coming - ran full speed across the dance floor - dove fully extended - and caught the veal parmigiana cleanly - in between my teeth. (Didnt even get a spot of sauce on my tux.)

Then - I ate it.

Some of my friends say that was the best play they ever saw.

LOL

Wink
Both catches, Matthews and Mays were impressive. I think if someone believes the Matthews catch is the best, that is their own opinion. If you think the Mays catch is better, thats ok. Just because the first play is regarded as "the best", the Matthews catch could be better. Just regard an opinion and dont tell them they are wrong because you dont agree.

itsinthegame...

Congratulations

As the acting president of the GFC(Gotwoodforsale Fan Club)...

I am pleased to inform you that your wedding reception story has been nominated for this years GFA (Golden Finger Award - formerly known as "the W***y") given to that HSBBW poster who in the face of all calls to remain seriously "on thread" conjurs up an effort of truely redeeming creative value, and adds oodles without hijacking the original thread...

Congratulations on your nomination!

The winner receives a fantastic no-host tip to visit the zany world of the woodman and gets a rare glimpse inside the single fingered creative process...

Cool 44

BTW....in a word the Matthews catch was simply...Insane. Beyond a certain point it';s usless to rate such things...we are out of athletics and into art...

Last edited by observer44
Mays was once quoted as saying his greatest catch wasn't the Wertz catch (which I believe is the greatest ever to put in my two cents worth), but rather one where he ran into the outfield wall full speed and caught a ball hit by Jackie Robinson, getting knocked cold momentarily in the process. When he regained his wits, Robinson was standing there and Mays remarked he was impressed with Robinson's concern. Robinson reported said all he wanted was to see if Mays really caught the d*** ball.
The catch is unbeleivable. He didn't just get there and go over the wall, he used his throwing hand to push himself up a little more to get it. He really really got up there. I've seen the Mays catch and its hard to say, but Mathews really did alot to catch the ball.

Where I can I see the Mays catch? Is it on MLB.com?

I happen to also like Coco Crisp's catch ALOT because he ran 100mph and had a brilliant catch. He doveand the perfect time, and he was flying, his legs were like pistons.
First of all nobody wants to talk about or did not see the Cabrera catch on Manny last week-- same if not better than Matthews.

As for soxnole you last post tells us all what type of individual are by the eyes remark

It is obvious that you not worth talking to anymore--

And by the way--it is quite obvious you don't know squat-- if I watch ESPN as I do first thing every morning how could I have not seen the catch--
quote:
Originally posted by observer44:

itsinthegame...

Congratulations

As the acting president of the GFC(Gotwoodforsale Fan Club)...

I am pleased to inform you that your wedding reception story has been nominated for this years GFA (Golden Finger Award - formerly known as "the W***y") given to that HSBBW poster who in the face of all calls to remain seriously "on thread" conjurs up an effort of truely redeeming creative value, and adds oodles without hijacking the original thread...

Congratulations on your nomination!

The winner receives a fantastic no-host tip to visit the zany world of the woodman and gets a rare glimpse inside the single fingered creative process...

Cool 44

BTW....in a word the Matthews catch was simply...Insane. Beyond a certain point it';s usless to rate such things...we are out of athletics and into art...

LOL

On behalf of myself - the waiter - the drunken guy and the veal parmigiana - I willingly accept the award and thank you.

Does anyone remember Carl Yastrzemski's catch against the Yankees in 1967? I believe Tom Tresh or Elston Howard hit it. Billy Rohr was making his first major league start and was flirting with a no-hitter in maybe the 7th inning. Yaz (playing LF) just turned tail and ran full speed away from the plate dove at the last second and made an over the shoulder catch that I consider one of the best I've ever seen. I never hear anyone talk about that one when they talk about great catches. I was ten years old and still remember Ken Coleman's great call "...and he dives and makes A TREMENDOUS CATCH!"
I will weigh in on the catches this year.

Matthews for getting there and going up and over the wall is #1.

Crisp's may actually have been a more difficult catch on a line drive. No time to think. Speed and timing were great. This one rates #2

Cabrera's was a great catch, especially since he pounded against the wall, but still a distant 3rd.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.