Skip to main content

Hope the game goes good for the boys, that is always an exciting time, your first chance to make an impression at the Varsity level. My youngest of three will have his first full varsity year this year. He threw a couple innings last year. Enjoy the ride as much as possible, they will be off to the next level before you know it.

just a follow up to my son's story.  many of you replied and PM and it was greatly appreciated.  August '12, son felt a "pop" in his throwing arm while making a throw from RF.  MRI indicated torn UCL.  We saw Dr. Andrews and his recommendation was rehab.  Son worked hard and followed throwing program religiously.  As of today, son was moved up to varsity following try outs and they had their first scrimmage game.  I can't even put into words, as a dad, how proud I was to watch him play.  It has been 6 months since he has played in a game or since I have seen him throw with intent.  Once you have faced a scare like this you truly learn to appreciate every moment and it helps put things in perspective.  Anyway, great weather today in south GA.  Can't wait for the rest of the season.  Here's hoping that all of our kids have a fun-filled, injury-free year.

coachT - any reason you are posting Mitch Abeita clips here in the this thread?

Mitch's father has been a long time member here and very much respected.  Mitch was at Nebraska before he was drafted by the Yankees.  My son played against him both in college and the pros.  Not sure what the relevance of that clip is to this thread. 

Originally Posted by proudhesmine:

grad. year?

Both are 2016. They played fine. Both pitched a scoreless inning and made their plays on infield. 

My son caught an inning and looked really nervous. No big deal. If he is going to stay up there it will likely be on the mound. 

Both very very lucky in that they each have an upperclassmen who is a mentor of sorts. Has made them both feel very accepted.  Varsity parents were very pleasant to the four of us parents as well. Much more than the JV parents earlier in the week. Ha

Live in Indiana and HS ball does officially start until March 11. Although my freshman son has been working out with the varsity captains since early January. I believe tryouts are the week before. He is one of only two southpaws who pitch trying out for either varsity or jv, so I like his chances.

Went to a hitting clinic yesterday at an area d3 and out of 50 kids (8 HS) he was the only left handed stick. Amazed me there weren't more.

Originally Posted by Bolts-Coach-PR:

So EXCITED, honored and humbled!!

My 2016 freshman made Varsity at our 8A school... He'll be starting in LF, only the 2nd Freshman starter since 2000 -  so it's quite an honor! Coach has put him in the leadoff or 2-hole... Hope he stays there!! LOL!

Congrats to the boy! Tell his coach he needs to update the roster on MaxPreps. It lists the only 2 Fr as IFrs.

Son saw his first varsity time on the mound tonight.  Entered game with runners on corners and two outs up 2-1.  Struck out their cleanup hitter.

Finished out the game for his first save in his first varsity game as a freshman.  3 1/3.  No hits. No runs. Two walks. HBP.  8Ks.  Struck out the side the last two innings.

Now gets to DH tomorrow and Saturday for our JV team.  Best of both worlds.

Suddenly not sleepy so guess I will work a little.

Originally Posted by bballdad2016:

standballdad - Thanks, we are looking forward to getting the season started.  We have two scrimmages scheduled next week and kick off our first game on Sat the 2nd.  Good luck to your son and his teammates! 

Son says the coach has told the team they will face a couple of fire ballers (90's) in this weekends double header, getting worried son will be overpowered. This will give me a good idea where he really is at. Should be fun though.

Sounds like of a lot of you are off to a great start already, hope the rest of you who haven't started yet aren't having anxiety attacks in anticipation. Sons team played four games in two days, and went 4-0 , first time in school history they started the opening Tournament that way. Son pitched the night cap Fri, threw four innings, 8K, 2BB, and two hits, one earned run. Pretty decent first start at the Varsity level. Rest of the team played great, and came up big when they needed to. Anybody that sees these boys as an observer could tell, that they are really jellin, should be a good season.

Son played his first game on Varsity as a freshman this weekend (double header). He is the starting 3B. Ended up going 1 -4 over 2 games (2 walks and 1 sac) his hit was a jam shot that fell between the pitcher and SS and he legged it out. Had 8 attempts at 3B made all the plays. Did allow the winning run to get on in the bottom of the 6th, high pop up couldn't get his glove on it (windy) so it was ruled a hit, it also turned out to be the winning run in that game. Overall a very good day of baseball. Team split the games with a very good team.

Baseball tryouts start today in Ohio. My 2014 won't be particiapting yet due to basketball team still playing (along with 5 other varsity returning players). He is excited about how is bball team is doing but really looking forward to baseball. On the downside it is 23 degrees in Dayton Ohio this morning, Gotta love when your tryouts have to be inside

Tryouts begin today, and continue tomorrow and Wednesday for Washington State high schools.  Tres_arbolitos (2016) finally gets his shot at school baseball.  And finally I might have a relevant opinion or two for this forum which I've been reading since he was in sixth or seventh grade.  BTW, it's 48 degrees with overcast and a 70 percent chance of rain in Seattle today.  Baseball in the PNW.  Nice.

Try outs started here in Missouri yesterday and my son's school had pitchers and catchers going at 5:45 a.m. followed by timed running and field work in the afternoon. Of course, it is going to be a tough week considering we started yesterday with 10+ inches of snow on the ground to which we added another 6+ last night. 

I don't know if all this will melt in time for their first game on March 15.i hope so as I am ready or some baseball.

Originally Posted by KC Dawg:

Try outs started here in Missouri yesterday and my son's school had pitchers and catchers going at 5:45 a.m. followed by timed running and field work in the afternoon. Of course, it is going to be a tough week considering we started yesterday with 10+ inches of snow on the ground to which we added another 6+ last night. 

I don't know if all this will melt in time for their first game on March 15.i hope so as I am ready or some baseball.

Sitting here in St Louis seeing your guys forecast, I am feeling sorry for you guys.  I am just west of St Louis and we are on the edge of the snow so we are getting rain this week.  Son said Saturday will be spent shoveling off any remaining snow from last week.  Depending what the next two weeks bring, we should get our opening tournament games in the 15th.

Good luck.

Tryouts started yesterday for my son.  15 y/o Soph. (skipped a grade).  Lots of competition for the few Vars roster spots potentially open.  Big HS, 2000+ enrollment.  Two Sophs made it last year.  He's got the size - 6'1" / 235 and really strong.  Was probably one of the strongest kids in the program last year as a Frosh.  RHP/3B/1B 

Looking forward to the season regardless.

Hello BB fans, I know I am the FNG here but just liked to brag on the son a little, he has thrown 12 innings so far in three games, has 20 Ks. Happy about that not so happy about the eleven walks, but he is still working on control. Getting better everyday. Another tournament in Scottsdale today, should be nice. Snowing up here at our place.

I read this thread each of the past two years, excited by the joy of parents sharing their experiences.  Now I have one also!  tres_arbolitos (2016) had a great first week of practice and was pulled aside by a coach who asked if he would captain the freshman team.  Yes to that!  The next day, he threw a pen with an assistant varsity coach and was told to be ready to pitch in the JV opener!  Well Saturday he got the call, pitched an inning and got three ground ball outs: 1-3, 1-3, and 6-3.  Fun to watch him field his position on the nubbers! 

Originally Posted by JBoss:

Waiting to hear if my Freshman LHP/OF makes the high school team. He was supposed to find out today but school was cancelled due to freezing rain. He is extremely nervous, although he is one of only two LHPs going out including Seniors, Juniors and Sophs. Find out tomorrow morning.

Hope you find some way to keep him occupied so he doesn't drive himself crazy waiting....that's a bummer!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.