Skip to main content

First two games have already been cancelled although both could have realistically been played (with neither the fields or players the worse for wear). The next game isn't scheduled until next Monday (3/25) and it supposed to snow on Friday and Saturday with a little freezing rain thrown in for good measure.  At this rate they won't play until May.  I am ready to watch some games but my son is like a caged animal.  He circles the living room with his bat in hand looking out the front window first followed by the back window - as if the weather conditions might be different one from the other. If he doesn't get a real game in soon I may have to lock him in his room for his - and our - safety.

That's so true, Trojan-Skipper.  What's made it even worse is the possibility of playing.  If it was pouring down rain or snowing like crazy I think he would be ok - sad but ok.  However, his first game was cancelled 8 days before it was supposed to go off when there was still tons of snow on the ground.  But, we got some rain that got rid of most of it followed by 60+ degree weather and sunshine that dried out the field.  Friday was almost 80 here with the sun shining and the birds singing.  Monday's game was cancelled because of some rain on Sunday.  He spent the night reading his twitter feeds where multiple baseball friends tweated (twitted? not sure of the nomenclature) about their games.  Talk about adding insult to injury.

We looked at the schedule last night and KCDawgjr has two games scheduled this coming week. The one on Monday is almost certainly a no-go and Thursday is doubtful If the weather report is accurate. The following week they have six-that's right, six- games scheduled. If weather wipes out that week there is no way they'll get them all rescheduled. 

On the positive side, KCDjr feels pretty good that he'll get a chance to pitch if all those games go off, so he's excited about that. He got to pitch around 10 innings last year on the freshman team, and he figures he is the 4th or 5th option on JV this year (depending on how much the #1 pitches for the varsity).  He still loves to take the mound.

These past two years have been kind of weird for us. Prior to high school, my son was always been known for his pitching and fielding. But the last couple of years -during freshman ball and especially on his summer team - he's really started to pound the ball and now people know him for his hitting. It's been an interesting transition.

Whatever the case, we are all just hoping for some games real soon.

First scrimmages (double header) of season was cancelled Saturday due to a fund raiser coach felt more important (50 and sunny). today was supposed to be first scrimmage tomorrow 2nd (and last) before first games on Saturday coming up. Well in SW Ohio, there is 3-5 inches of snow, so I don't think we will be playing any scrimmages. Coach ( a new one with IMO not a lot of baseball knowledge but a very nice man and teacher) told 2014 and other  pitcher considered to be #1 or 2 to expect to throw 7 each on saturday in double header. Not real happy about that, since he just finished basketball 2 weeks ago and has been throwing inside for only about a month. 2014 said he is up to about 60 pitches in bullpen

We got 6 inches of snow here.  My son got a text message last night to bring a snow shovel to practice after school today.  Apparently the JV will shovel first while the varsity takes batting practice inside and then they'll switch.  They plan to clear off pretty much the entire field in hopes they'll get to play later this week.  Of course it's not supposed to be above 40 here until Wednesday, so that's not helping.

Fourth game of the year cancelled. Season opener looks to be on Monday now. Weather on Monday is projected for 37-41degrees. What the heck? I guess we are paying for last year where only one game all season was affected by the weather. Of course it is supposed to be mid sixties this weekend when they have nothing scheduled. 

Originally Posted by tres_arboles:

Originally Posted by AGDAD19:
Thank God for the south. 17-2 so far.
We've gotten all four scheduled games in so far (thank goodness for field turf).  Just curious, you're already 17-2, how many HS games do you play in a season?

Not including scrimmages or playoffs, 29-30.

Tomorrow is opening day. Son calls at 545pm to say his bat broke. (This is the second BBCOR to break in a year - give me wood.)

I call the locally owned sporting goods store and the owner says she will wait for him to get there. She knew his name, his position, where he will be playing in college. Gotta love small businesses!

My story is one of patience.  It was a long wait in the Northeast. HVbaseballKID plays for one of the largest schools in the state.  As a junior, he finally got his chance to start in their opener yesterday.  He watched for 2 years as his summer teammates from smaller schools played varsity as freshman and sophomores, while he toiled away in obscurity on a JV team that could have beat most smaller school varsity teams.

He has pitched, caught, played infield and outfield trying desperately for a shot to get on the field.  He spent all of last year in both JV and Varsity practices for 4 hours each day patiently waiting for a shot that never came.  He got his first opportunity yesterday and responded with a couple doubles into the teeth of a 20 MPH wind and 3 RBI.  He finally found a spot in the outfield and made the most of it.  He ran out to get the paper at 5:30 and saw his name for the first time since little league.

He has learned patience and humility during the lat 2 years, which he is carrying over to the college recruiting process. He works as hard in the classroom as he does on the field.  Although it is difficult to get recruited without a Varsity resume, he is in the hunt with a few Ivy, Patriot, NESCAC, and Centennial schools as many of his summer teammates have already verbally committed to Division 1 schools.  He understands that there are no guarantees with the schools in which he is interested, and he may not know where he is headed until Spring of his senior year.  However, playing baseball is non-negotiable for him.  If he can't play, he does not even want to go to a school with a team.  He has a plan and the payoff in life could be huge if he could get into the right school.

Im the starting 2bman and leadoff batter on the freshman team at my high school. Ive practiced with the JV team and done well in practice, I just don't know how I can impress the coach enough to move me up to JV, any suggestions? 3 freshman have already went up, and i really want the opportunity and think im skilled and mature enough for it, even though imIM only a 5 ft 3 middle infielder. I've made it out to most of the jv games and sat in the dugout as the coach welcomed freshman to do, and he noticed but i still want to make every impression to him that I'm a committed ball player and a hard worker, how can i do so? I also play summer ball on a AAA/MAJOR team.

rshif12, I appreciate your passion and desire. It sounds like you're already showing your commitment to the team and program. What many underclassmen need to understand is that there may already be someone of equal skill in your position on JV. There is an incumbent responsibility on the coaches to honor those who have gone before you and put in more time and have less time remaining to represent their school on the field. Bide your time enjoy every opportunity granted and good things will happen. Those who get lost wishing for something better can often miss the joy of where they are. If you are the best on the freshmen team take a leadership role and help build others up. Think of Peyton Manning and so many other who could have moved on to the pros much earlier but stayed to developed and lead. Not only do they benefit, but all those around them did as well and there has been no shortage of reward in the long run. Don't let ego of being able to say, "I made the JV team" get in the way of your success. All that being said, get stronger and tear the cover off the ball. He who consistently hits the ball hard and well will play!

I agree mcmmccm. Just play ball and get better. Dominate the competition where you're at.Don't put needless stress on yourself. My son is also a freshman.Leads the team in all hitting stats and plays short. He certainly can play up however, there are sophmores and juniors who can't play down. Doesn't bother him one bit. Let them have their day.Your day will come.

Thank you very much for your input, and thinking about it, I agree with everything you are saying. I'm batting over .500 right now in freshman ball and I'm just going to continue working hard and enjoying where I am. If i get moved up, fine, if I don't fine. I haven't talked to the JV coach since Saturday and it seems that at least for now i will not be going up, although my Freshman coach just moved me from second base to starting shortstop, so my goal is to perform as best as I can at the freshman level and be a leader. What I'm wondering, is will it matter to college coaches or anywhere down the road that I didn't make JV as a freshman? I'm not worried about it, but just curious since many of the kids on my summer team are playing up on jv and a few on varsity.

Not sure I'm qualified to answer the preference of college coaches rsh. However just a gut I don't think it is tremendously important in the scheme of things. If you outperform everybody as a junior or senior, they won't care how you got there.

One piece of advice. Baseball is a mental game. Just worry about what you can control. Keep an even keel. Don't get too high, don't get too low. Just play.

Two down, only one to go.  My middle son completed his last regular season game 5-4 win over district rival with a close play at the plate to end the game.  He played 3rd base and pitched 3 innings in relief without an earned run.  He had a sac bunt, two singles, and a HBP in his last regular season game.  District tournament starts this week and I hope he tears it up.

I'm getting old and sappy.    I've had all of these great memories flood back to me when he started playing coach pitch at age 5.  I get to spend more time with him this summer helping coach his Legion team.  It is absolutely gut wrenching for me.  This fall, he'll be studying engineering at a great college, but no college baseball plans on the horizon.  If he can manage his studies, he may try club baseball.  I'm crossing my fingers that he'll be happy either way.

Last edited by fenwaysouth

Hello, that's exactly what my son was thinking but congrats to your son I'm sure he has a bright future ahead.  My son also is going to be studying engineering he will be a senior this year when school is done but because he is a sub pitcher he doesn't get scouted as much and we said studies first and you could also do club baseball if you can juggle both without sacrificing your studies.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.