Skip to main content

ESPN is attributing the following quote and information to Jim Rice:

"You see a Manny Ramirez, you see an A-Rod [Alex Rodriguez], you see [Derek] Jeter ... Guys that I played against and with, these guys you're talking about cannot compare," Rice said to Little Leaguers gathered in the cafeteria.

The former Red Sox outfielder played 16 seasons in Boston, batting .298 with 382 homers before retiring in 1989.

"We didn't have the baggy uniforms. We didn't have the dreadlocks," Rice said. "It was a clean game, and now they're setting a bad example for the young guys."

Asked later at a news conference to list current players worthy of the Hall of Fame, Rice suggested Seattle Mariner outfielders Ichiro Suzuki and Ken Griffey Jr., and Chicago White Sox slugger Jim Thome."

I don't think I have ever heard anyone include Derrick Jeter in the same sentence as Manny and A'Rod when it comes to being a "bad example." Frankly, if he said this, it seems pretty stunning.
Joe Torre made it clear in his book how much he admires Jeter and how he is the heart of soul of the success within the Yankee organization.
Last week, my wife and I traveled to Seattle and got to see Ichiro and Jeter. While we were there, a stat was posted about those players with the most hits this decade. Jeter is second with just over 1,600.
Ichiro has more than 1,900(over 300 more hits than anyone in MLB).
Watching those two play was so much fun and you can see how much fun they have playing the game at such a high level.
What is even more amazing is that Jeter was taken out of a game on Wednesday when he was hit in the foot. By Thursday game time in Seattle, he was batting leadoff and hitting rockets..with a bit of a limp.
Maybe Rice knows things about Jeter that I don't. For me, I would rather watch Jeter than Jim Rice, any day.

'You don't have to be a great player to play in the major leagues, you've got to be a good one every day.'

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Rice is just a bitter old man and to mention Jeter with players who set bad examples and can't play in Rice's day illustrates this clown has zero credibility.

While Rice got into the HOF by the skin of his teeth, Jeter willl be a first ballot HOFer.

Rice don't belong in the HOF. His numbers don't justify it. He was a very good player but not a HOFer.

As far as winners go, Jim Rice couldn't carry Jeter's jock.
Last edited by zombywoof
I think Jim Rice should shut the F*** up about Derek Jeter. Jeter is obviously a first ballot hall of famer. Jim Rice is not qualified to comment on him imho. All that said, I think Rice was a very good player. He is a fringe hall of famer imho at best. Politics will never go away in this sport. If Rice played for the Blue Jays or some other non-big market team, he never gets in imho.
quote:
Originally posted by Dad04:
Maybe Jim was so delirious with HOF glee he mis-remebered. Jeter never wowed me, so I was surprised his career regular season Ba was .317 over 15 freaking seasons. I always thought he was a mediocre fielder until I found out his fielding % was .975

Jeter is the type of player you have to see every day to get how good he really is.

In the game against Boston last night, Pedroia hit a shot off the LF wall and the ball riccochet past F7. Next thing you see Pedroia getting thrown out at 3B trying to stretch a triple out. Turns out Jeter ran to LF to retrieve the ball when it hit off the LF wall and gunned down Pedroia at 3B.

These plays aren't out of the norm for Jeter. The play in 2001 against Oakland was another but there were more plays he made that turned a game or a series around. He's been playing this way his whole career.

He's one of the few players left that will run thru a wall despite all the loot he makes. All this guy wants to do is win. He could play in any era.

When his career over, he should go down as one of the best ever to play the game. He most likely will go down as the greatest SS of all-time.

Even the talking heads in the media were ripping Rice for his comments.
Last edited by zombywoof
How about the best complete player who left nothing on the field.

As purely a shortstop playing his defensive position are there not shortstops that have been better? Better range, better arm, better quickness?

I am a huge Jeter fan, my dog is named Jeter and he is my son's and my favorite player. But, I am not convinced that he is the best Shortstop that has ever played the game.

Although, I remain a huge fan.
Last edited by floridafan
How about the best complete player who left nothing on the field.

Without question he is

As purely a shortstop playing his defensive position are there not shortstops that have been better? Better range, better arm, better quickness?

Maybe but for somebody who gets knocked for not being the best SS, he makes the long throws from the hole, gets to balls despite getting knocked for his range and quickness. I can't seem to grasp not putting him among the greatest SS's to ever play the game.

Also, he elevates his play in the post season to levels other great SS's never reach.

I am a huge Jeter fan, my dog is named Jeter and he is my son's and my favorite player. But, I am not convinced that he is the best Shortstop that has ever played the game.

Having watched him play day-in and day-out , I have a hard time finding too many SS who were better. I can say there were definitely more flashy players than Jeter at SS but, better, that's questionable.
Last edited by zombywoof
Jeter is one of the greatest offensive SS's of all time imho. He is up there with Ripken and Robin Yount imho. He is also a very heady player capable of making the spectacular play. No doubt he is one of the greatest players to ever play the game.

Omar Visquel is the best defensive shortstop of all time imho. I know I'll get some arguments from those who love Ozzie Smith but I have seen Omar play just about his entire career and believe him to be the best.
I do agree about Manny Ramirez. I still do not understand why a storied and proud franchise like the Dodgers allows the baggy uniform and dread locks. You would think Torre would tell him "go see the equipment man and get a uniform that fits, and cut your hair, when you do that, you will play."

I can tell you this, Billy Martin would not have put up with it. Martin would have won that battle of wills. He looks like a bum, plain and simple.

As far as the comments allegedly made by Rice. Who is he? How many championships did he win? He was only put in the HOF out of political correctness. If any veteran deserved it more it was Roger Maris. Especially in light of the steroid factor today.
This story is another example of how today's media (sports talk radio and the internet) have brought so much drivel into the game. Who cares what Rice said. Who cares what he thinks. Today's media spends far too much time looking for a bunch a cr@p to instigate stories. Today's media doesn't just report the news. They try to make the news. The media has become like a bunch of teenage girls. Did you hear what he said. I heard what he said. What do you think. Cackle, cackle, cackle, ad nauseum.

All I care about is how the game was played. If someone wants to add a feel good story, great? If someone wants to add a tragic story, great? But who cares what one player thinks of another?

today's media
Last edited by RJM
So besides mentioning Jeter's name (whom I respect but done't like, I am Sox fan, what did he say that was so wrong? So he added a name he probably shouldn't have. Big deal! Jeter is the face of the Yankees and Rice is a competitive person and still part of the Sox franchise.

There are a ton of today's players who disrespect the game. Caps on backwards during BP, OVERLY baggy uniforms (Prince Fielder looks like he wears Pajamas!), too much friendly chatter before the game between opponents... it goes on and on.

Rice was right and making a good point; he just should not have included Jeter whom is a class act.
Oh yes - I was hanging on every word that Jim Rice said. LOL

Jim Rice could only wish that he was half as good a player as Jeter.

I guess its hard for the old man to swallow.

Sometimes when you get old - you just freak out.
Simple as that - your lifelong bitterness at the world and a touch of early dementia gets the better of you.

Hopefully - Jim will go away now. He has voiced his moronic opinion - got his ESPN soundbite - and now - hopefully - will just go home.

quote:
Originally posted by fsmjunior:

There are a ton of today's players who disrespect the game. Caps on backwards during BP, too much friendly chatter before the game between opponents... it goes on and on.

You honestly think that guys wearing their hat backwards during BP and talking with friends before the game is disrespect to the game? Come on man, what are you 90 years old?
Actually I am 39.

Yes I do think to have the cap on backwards on the field during BP or warmups is disrespectful. I believe while on the field the hat should be worn forwards and straight.

MLB also has a rule against opponents talking or horseplaying before the game. That rule is completely ignored.

I am not sure if I am in the majority or not, but I do strongly feel that way about the caps.
I guess you believe in your way. I just find that to be going waaaay overboard for the caps and even pretty ridiculous that you think players shouldn't talk to other players before a game. I do agree with you in the way uniforms are worn and I'll add in long hair like Mannys' bedhead. I don't know of any sport whatsoever where their players aren't allowed to mingle with each other before a game.
Jim was speaking his mind he has that right. He now must understand that people have the right to call him out on what he said. I really take issue with him lumping Jeter in with those guys. Jeter is a class act and has always been a class act. No need to argue how good he is or where he stands in the history of the game. Everyone knows he is one of the best of all time period.

Jim just got voted into the HOF. He now feels relevent because he is in the HOF. He is being asked to do things he probably was never asked to do before being voted in. Hey he is still the same person he was when he was a player. The same guy I couldnt stand then and the same guy I can not stand now.
quote:
Originally posted by fsmjunior:
MLB also has a rule against opponents talking or horseplaying before the game.

....Yep. it is written.

Did anyone think for one brief moment, this
is a classic Red Sox vs Yankee hatred coming to the surface, again!

Am I not surprised Rice did not bring up
..............every one that played on PED's.

Still reminds me of a 6-4-3 (as he led the league and career in hitting into a pitcher's best friend)
quote:
Rice was right and making a good point; he just should not have included Jeter whom is a class act.

That's right but out of all the other major leaguers he called out to make his point Jeter was the last player he should be bringing up. Rice was right but once he brought up Jeter, he lost all credibility and came off as a bitter old man which he is.

And as for the media jumping all over Rice on it, they had to. As someone else pointed out, Rice wasn't just rambling his nonsense at reporters but a paid speech to Little Leaguers who actually look to players like Jeter who represents the game better than anybody considering every superstar is under suspicion of juicing up.

quote:

Of course. That's the first thing that any Yankee/Redsox fan thinks of.
Last edited by zombywoof
In the game against Boston last night, Pedroia hit a shot off the LF wall. Turns out Jeter ran to LF to retrieve the ball when it hit off the LF wall and gunned down Pedroia at 3B.
----------------------------------------------------

my kid did this in t-ball and got yelled at, who knew he was ahead of his time. Big Grin

this was a typical case of talking just a little too much. he should have quit at manny.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Coach From The Southeast:
I do agree with you in the way uniforms are worn and I'll add in long hair like Mannys' bedhead./QUOTE]

I had forgotten about the long hair and I am glad we can agree that. My son's HS & Legion Team have a short hair rule and enforce it. A rule I like.

Maybe I am only 50ish rather than 90? Wink Razz
I haven't written here in a long while and now I see why. Remember, espny allegedly quoted this from Rice. Those of you who don't know the game would say the guy wasn't good. Maybe Rice should be asked publicly about the Golden Boy Jeter. I am sure he has the most respect for him as a player. There is no way you lump DreadHead and A-Flop with Jeter. But then again, ESPNY has never liked Rice because he's dirt honest, always played for his teammates, never took himself first, and regarded the media as snakes looking for hype. ESPNY is the only outlet that covered the story and more should have so that it would be reported accurately. Rice's beef is with the showboating attitude, the thug look that has seemingly become more important than playing the game right. Don't you think Aaron, Schmidt and some other HOF's feel the same way. I personally hope Rice continues to speak to youth about playing hard and repecting the game. Maybe next time we will actually be able to see what he's saying and then we can judge for ourselves. By the way, you want baseball coverage, turn to MLB channel.
capt,

The problem with Manny isnt how he looks. I have known many baseball players that were uglier - dumber - and more slovenly looking.

The problem with Manny is that he doesnt respect the game.

Nowadays - respect for the game is not fashionable.
I understand that - its just the way it is.

Manny believes he is the game - and is actually bigger than the game.

But the truth is - regardless of how much money he has - Manny is a liar and cheater. A steroid abusing clown act.

He plays the fool now - and it works - because deep down - I think it comes naturally to him.

Jeter's late night carousing is not a good example for today's kids.

How is that not understood?

Jim Rice took the racial taunts, endured villification by the press and saved a kids life at a ball game.

Not to mention almost 400 home runs without roids!

It's too bad he threw Jeters name in with Manny the super geek but talk about over-reaction by posters, this is the thread!

If you want to know how great a guy Jim Rice is, just ask Fred Lynn. Don't ask the sissy sportswriters that mis-quoted him so many times he finally stopped talking to them.

Most of today's players are spoiled brats that don't know how to play the game. They would rather not show up a player on another team than win a game. Jim Rice is right and the situation is getting worse.
quote:
Originally posted by soxnole:
Jeter's late night carousing is not a good example for today's kids.

How is that not understood?

Jim Rice took the racial taunts, endured villification by the press and saved a kids life at a ball game.

Not to mention almost 400 home runs without roids!

It's too bad he threw Jeters name in with Manny the super geek but talk about over-reaction by posters, this is the thread!

If you want to know how great a guy Jim Rice is, just ask Fred Lynn. Don't ask the sissy sportswriters that mis-quoted him so many times he finally stopped talking to them.

Most of today's players are spoiled brats that don't know how to play the game. They would rather not show up a player on another team than win a game. Jim Rice is right and the situation is getting worse.

SOXNOLE pretty much summed it up!

End of Discussion!
Well, not quite.
Rice didn't talk about Jeter's night life. He talked about Jeter not comparing with guys that played in the Rice era.
If this is about Jeter's night life, I would be surprised if Rice's peers lead off the field lives that will get them a free pass into heaven.
Rice was wrong to include Jeter in his comments. He was especially wrong to make those comments about Jeter to a group of little leaguers.
With his election into the Hall, Rice is going to be visible. His comments take on a different importance.
Whether you like Jeter or don't like Jeter, between the lines, he plays the game the right way. He plays the game the way every young player should be taught to play the game, in my opinion.
We do not have enough young players who play the game that way.
I have no problem with Jim Rice expressing his views.
If he said the same thing last July, no one would care because he was not in the Hall of Fame. Now that he is, he takes on a new role as an ambassador/spokesperson for the game, especially when given the privilege to speak to a group of 12/13 year olds.
I question introducing the race aspect. Jeter and Rice are African-American. Who knows what Jeter has experienced as contrasted with Rice. I question if Rice would agree that allows him any leniency when it comes to what he said about Jeter, either.
Last edited by infielddad
quote:
Whether you like Jeter or don't like Jeter, between the lines, he plays the game the right way. He plays the game the way every young player should be taught to play the game, in my opinion.
We do not have enough young players who play the game that way.

Exactly. Rice using Jeter as an example speaking to a bunch of 13 yr old little leaguers is the wrong athlete to use to get whatever point he was trying to get across. The little kids aren't gonna relate to players from Rice's days. It's today's player the little leaguer is going to model his game after and what better player to use than Jeter as an example of how to carry one's self as a ballplayer and how to play the game the way it's supposeed to be played.
Last edited by zombywoof

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.