Skip to main content

@Consultant posted:

When a College Coach needs the portal to build team, he is admitting that his previous selections failed his evaluations. Time to plan a new approach to scouting players. What is the cost of College scouting?
Bob

Coaches miss - it happens. Unfortunately the new plan to avoid misses has been to replace the miss before they hit 60 credits and find the finished product from the talent developer.

I don't know what the answer is. I would imagine limiting in conference transfers would be a good talking point.

Excatly! That's what makes me bummed for these kids. I had the BEST time on college playing volleyball and basketball with my teammates for 4 years! A lifetime of memories and friendships. Now it's all business. Umph...

My son is heading into his junior year at the same DI mid-major.  His freshman year in the dorms, he lived with one of the starting freshman pitchers (my son was the starting catcher.) He is heading into year 2 of living in the same house with 5 other teammates.  Not a single one went into the transfer portal.  They love their school and living together (maybe a few disagreements here and there)    My point being is that we are so focused on the majority of the kids in the transfer portal and the ones hopping from one school to the next that we forget that there are MANY kids who do still have a great experience, got to keep their same scholarships through college and are building relationships that will last long beyond school.  All is not completely lost. 

My son is heading into his junior year at the same DI mid-major.  His freshman year in the dorms, he lived with one of the starting freshman pitchers (my son was the starting catcher.) He is heading into year 2 of living in the same house with 5 other teammates.  Not a single one went into the transfer portal.  They love their school and living together (maybe a few disagreements here and there)    My point being is that we are so focused on the majority of the kids in the transfer portal and the ones hopping from one school to the next that we forget that there are MANY kids who do still have a great experience, got to keep their same scholarships through college and are building relationships that will last long beyond school.  All is not completely lost. 

I think that what you describe is more common than some will admit.

Yes, definetly there are now coaches that keep restocking instead of rebuilding, using the portal. I remember when players in summer called up their coaches while away at camp, and told them they found a guy who is a great catcher (example), next thing you know, team had a new catcher. NCAA put a stop to it by implementing the no transfer to D1 rule.  Problem was many teams APR were in the toilet and athletes not graduating on time.  Then the NCAA began punishing by taking away scholarships.

And let's not forget more than ever players are now leaving programs to go to better programs which in turn means a current player is going to lose their scholarship.

Last edited by TPM
@Consultant posted:

Have you read “the Cloudburst Nine”. The story of the Navy Baseball team with Ted Williams in Chapel Hill, NC
Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the recommendation.  Just ordered!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...K23NIPUXRO&psc=1

@CollegebaseballInsights posted:...

Every student/parent needs to read "Who moved my cheese"

@adbono posted:

The whole world needs to read “Who Moved My Cheese?”

Got this one too.  Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...T7DS3ZNK1W&psc=1

Last edited by T_Thomas
@adbono posted:

I think that’s the biggest difference between now and back when some of us played college sports. Baseball is now big business and roster turnover is brutal. And the time demands are unreal. When I played I had the same core group of teammates for 3 years and we had time for a life away from baseball. We were able to get to know each other away from baseball.  And this was at a big time D1 program.   I’m still close with a handful of my teammates. Those kinds of relationships have to be harder to develop today.

Agree.  the whole ecosystem from 8u up has been turned on its head.

The portal can be a good thing or a bad thing.  I will speak to our situation at UT.  Last year's starters were almost exclusively recruited out of HS by UT with one being a juco transfer who started part of the season.  I don't know that anyone would expect to lose your entire starting fielding lineup in one draft.  10 guys drafted and 1 ran out of eligibility.  So, we hit the transfer portal and brought in 3 infielders to help fill some of the voids.  But how do you turn them down when they are veteran players who contact you for a chance.  We lost 4 guys to transfer portal and 1 grad transfer which I don't think should be listed on transfer portal because that is not the same.  I do agree with TPM that it is regional and conference wise in some sorts.  I don't really like what LSU has done but I know if I was him I would do the same.  Why should you have to keep guys that you did not recruit?  They may not be what you are wanting in a player or fit your bill plus if you are given $10 million to go get players you might as well get the best.  I hope he wins because if not he might get run out of town.  I also know that schools are not getting rid of starters, or at least most aren't.  If you are helping the program win, they will find a way to keep you.  If you are not helping them win, why would you blame the coach if you have been there 2 years and not contributing.  I know some are going to say they should make you better but we all know most of the time it is not the coach but the player not doing his part or just can't get where he needs to be.

cbi.  is it safe to say that the D1 service academies don't have as much turnover?  thanks

Here is a link to some of the CBI dashboards   https://collegebaseballinsights.com/insights/

Some of the content is free, e.g turnover rate,  also  you can drill down on some sample schools (4 for each division)

NCAA-D1 - Ole Miss, Oklahoma, Connecticut, Notre Dame.

As part of this.....There are situations where coaches are already speaking with incoming freshman and increasing their scholarships in the coming years. I'm sure this is happening in older classes as well.

@nycdad posted:

As part of this.....There are situations where coaches are already speaking with incoming freshman and increasing their scholarships in the coming years. I'm sure this is happening in older classes as well.

Happened to my 2019 his junior year.  Was asked to go from 50% as a soph to 0% as a junior, but guaranteed 100% as a senior, and coach noted that there was going to be a 10% tuition increase in his senior year. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.