Skip to main content

@baseballhs posted:

Of course but there wasn’t the COVID year or the transfer portal or the reduced draft. The research we did was irrelevant.

100%.  A lot of the current players affected right now were not privy to all the changes that resulted from COVID and NCAA changes. What's going on now for the most part isn't families not adjusting to the times, that's for the 23s, 24s, 25s, etc.  Obviously I see this through some parent tinted glasses , and yes there are unrealistic families out there......But, the incoming freshmen (think 6) cut from TT, did all of them not develop enough to play there?

When my 22 committed, things were drastically different than now, and we didn't have a crystal ball. Yes you could make some educated guesses and I think he'll be ok and even if it doesn't work out at his current school he'll land on his feet.

That's good.

Hopefully you are aware, that same research that your son and you did can be done in minutes, going back to 2017

https://collegebaseballinsight...nover-insights-free/

Actually, it is all relevant and was predictable once the lockdown occurred.

If you go from A to Z without review the incremental events, then relevance might be hard to see.

Each year post covid has a different effect on roster management

2021 - Expanded Roster size and MLB Draft 20 rounds

-

These 2 features were designed early 2021, it forced a serious reconciliation of the data as for the roster data in totality is poor.

From a business perspective, it was definitely understood with expanded roster the schools would increase their roster size and as they draw down each year, they would get the best fit.

https://keepplayingbaseball.org/the-growing-influence-of-the-juco-pipeline/

The dots were connect

I jumped on this board when my 2024 was in 8th grade. He's a rising junior now.  The college baseball recruiting scene has changed so much since I came on here .The information I've learned here has helped us to do our research, be realistic about the changing college baseball landscape, open our eyes to all the "business" of college baseball and how to be prepared to pivot on a moment's notice.   I know that a lot of kids aren't so lucky to be armed with the right information to make the best decisions and, some families/kids, just don't care. 

But, reading this thread, and hearing stories from friends and family throughout our baseball community, it makes me sad for so many young men that this is currently happening to. I know of 3 kids personally that are 2023s and 2024s that have been told to "decommit" and look elsewhere.  I know of another kid - 2022 - that got the call last week that he didn't have a spot on the team this fall.  I know of numerous other kids (2023s and 2024s), including my son, who were being heavily recruited over the past few months and now radio silence - travel coaches told the kids the colleges informed them they were focusing on portal transfers and current roster management and not recruiting 2023s and 2024s as much right now.

That is the world we live in though - constant change - whatever it may be...But as someone stated about, you have to be able to overcome, adapt and learn the new way with college baseball.  I just hope that we've done our research well and that my son will get to stay in one place for 4 years.  For us, the baseball aspect is an important part of college, but the college education and experience is the most important.

Last thing I will say though is - yanking kids around and taking away scholarships just because a coach over committed roster spots, isn't cool! Just don't do it in the first place!

I jumped on this board when my 2024 was in 8th grade. He's a rising junior now.  The college baseball recruiting scene has changed so much since I came on here .The information I've learned here has helped us to do our research, be realistic about the changing college baseball landscape, open our eyes to all the "business" of college baseball and how to be prepared to pivot on a moment's notice.   I know that a lot of kids aren't so lucky to be armed with the right information to make the best decisions and, some families/kids, just don't care.

But, reading this thread, and hearing stories from friends and family throughout our baseball community, it makes me sad for so many young men that this is currently happening to. I know of 3 kids personally that are 2023s and 2024s that have been told to "decommit" and look elsewhere.  I know of another kid - 2022 - that got the call last week that he didn't have a spot on the team this fall.  I know of numerous other kids (2023s and 2024s), including my son, who were being heavily recruited over the past few months and now radio silence - travel coaches told the kids the colleges informed them they were focusing on portal transfers and current roster management and not recruiting 2023s and 2024s as much right now.

That is the world we live in though - constant change - whatever it may be...But as someone stated about, you have to be able to overcome, adapt and learn the new way with college baseball.  I just hope that we've done our research well and that my son will get to stay in one place for 4 years.  For us, the baseball aspect is an important part of college, but the college education and experience is the most important.

Last thing I will say though is - yanking kids around and taking away scholarships just because a coach over committed roster spots, isn't cool! Just don't do it in the first place!

I see that you are in North Carolina. Which is further evidence that this is a national issue and not a regional one.

@Consultant posted:

Baseballmom

What type of Summer team does your son play on? Do you have a College near? Has a pro scout evaluated your son? Be concerned with your son. There are reasons for each case.

Bob

Hi! My son plays on a top National showcase team.  He has been evaluated by people in very knowledgeable positions - for example his pitching coach (been his coach for 4 years) was a first round draft and played for the Texas Rangers and a former ACC college pitching coach.  There have been others on his baseball journey that have played at all levels of baseball (college to MLB) that have provided honest evaluations of his talent and projectability.  I'm not worried about that.

Would you mind clarifying what "be concerned with your son" means? 

You mentioned other players having their scholarships removed. Every player will have a different future and how they prepare is a personal. Colleges are also searching for solutions.
Form a small group to include your son and his coach. Set up goals and a direction to a College which will match the goals.
As many others have said, it is a competitive business.  
Have you read “the Cloudburst Nine”. The story of the Navy Baseball team with Ted Williams in Chapel Hill, NC
Bob

I also have a 2024 and share the sentaments offered by BaseballMOM05.  My son has been having arranged calls with recruiting coaches for the past 18 months.  Yanking kids around appears to be normal behavior in the today's recruting process (new or not - I do not know).  The current system dymnamics force young teenage boys to grow up fast (and become salty and cynical before being old enough to drive a car, much less drink a beer legally).  My son sees a good amount of the Twitter traffic on this subject, along with the private chats he has with his 2023/24 peer group ... I think he is losing trust in adults through it all.

As a parent, I am now encouraging my son to delay his commitment decision timeline until both he and the college baseball coaches have a common, shared and accurate view of his projectability (with reasonable confidence).  Only then will the fit be obvious without overreaching too high of a competition level or without fealing like he has settled on something he is not excited about.  I'm just happy that he can see the recent MLB draft demographics trends for his primary position (LHP) ... 80% drafted LHP/RHP are from 4 Yr Colleges.  2 1/2  years ago, adults were feeding my son the "get drafted out of HS" line ... not exactly what the 40 yr mindset parents want to hear.

With regards to roster turnover analysis, I ty to avoid it; I will brute force my way through school-specific PG/PBR commitment history and college roster history when my son mentions the phrase "just got an offer"  I suspect I'll be getting my CBI subscription on Sep 1 ... I hear CBI offers great customer support :-)

I hope this recruiiting madness comes to end for my son (and me) within the next 12 monts.

PS: sure feel bad for the 21s, 22s, and 23s ... they are much worse off than my kid.

Last edited by mjd-dad
@mjd-dad posted:

I also have a 2024 and share the sentaments offered by BaseballMOM05.  My son has been having arranged calls with recruiting coaches for the past 18 months.  Yanking kids around appears to be normal behavior in the today's recruting process (new or not - I do not know).  The current system dymnamics force young teenage boys to grow up fast (and become salty and cynical before being old enough to drive a car, much less drink a beer legally).  My son sees a good amount of the Twitter traffic on this subject, along with the private chats he has with his 2023/24 peer group ... I think he is losing trust in adults through it all.

As a parent, I am now encouraging my son to delay his commitment decision timeline until both he and the college baseball coaches have a common, shared and accurate view of his projectability (with reasonable confidence).  Only then will the fit be obvious without overreaching too high of a competition level or without fealing like he has settled on something he is not excited about.  I'm just happy that he can see the recent MLB draft demographics trends for his primary position (LHP) ... 80% drafted LHP/RHP are from 4 Yr Colleges.  2 1/2  years ago, adults were feeding my son the "get drafted out of HS" line ... not exactly what the 40 yr mindset parents want to hear.

With regards to roster turnover analysis, I ty to avoid it; I will brute force my way through school-specific PG/PBR commitment history and college roster history when my son mentions the phrase "just got an offer"  I suspect I'll be getting my CBI subscription on Sep 1 ... I hear CBI offers great customer support :-)

I hope this recruiiting madness comes to end for my son (and me) within the next 12 monts.

PS: sure feel bad for the 21s, 22s, and 23s ... they are much worse off than my kid.

Use the KISS Method when doing your research,

As for PG/PGR/etc,  the verbal commits serve 1 purpose, taking you off the market.

IMHO,  the NLI for a students grad class is more concrete, a contract with school and MLB Draft leverage

Its blind spot is transfer portal and JUCO Pipeline (check out the growth)

CBI is self maintaining.  The insights are WYSIWYG.  Your imagination concerning the question you might want to answered. System is up 99.99%

Depending on the level college roster data has some serious challenges.

@adbono posted:

Absolutely correct. I think JuCo & D2 gets better players too. And D3 to a lesser extent. There are too many good players compared to available roster spots. So the level of play should go up everywhere.

IMHO, the JUCO Impact will be more regional.   I don't know if NorthEast will see significant upgrade, as for their are limited number of D1 and D2.

CCCAA will be very interesting,  NWAC ????

Also will help the non p5 colleges

Excatly! That's what makes me bummed for these kids. I had the BEST time on college playing volleyball and basketball with my teammates for 4 years! A lifetime of memories and friendships. Now it's all business. Umph...

I think that’s the biggest difference between now and back when some of us played college sports. Baseball is now big business and roster turnover is brutal. And the time demands are unreal. When I played I had the same core group of teammates for 3 years and we had time for a life away from baseball. We were able to get to know each other away from baseball.  And this was at a big time D1 program.   I’m still close with a handful of my teammates. Those kinds of relationships have to be harder to develop today.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.