Skip to main content

While DI and DII continue to battle, the DIII post season begins on Wednesday.
I would imagine there are some HSBBW's I will miss on this but JT and his son, Jeff will be battling in the South Regional for Lynchburg College.

http://www.d3baseball.com/pressreleases/Lynchburg/2008/...-South-Regional/2835
In the West region, ILVBB's son Evan Jones and RHPmom's Drew Bignall will be battling for Trinity, Tx.University as the #5 seed.
Great baseball, great competition, great intensity and a lot of fun.
Here is wishing all those in the DIII National Championship race a great post-season. Here is wishing those Trinity players a little more luck in the postseason. Big Grin
If you know of others, please add them so everyone can be followed beginning on 5/14 in the battle to get to Appleton.

'You don't have to be a great player to play in the major leagues, you've got to be a good one every day.'

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

They will be doing the same for the Northeast region
I do not know who on this site has a son in the regionals here in the Northeast--I know we have a number of graduates playing including two on the 37-0 Division III Trinity College (CT) team

This is when it truly fun working from home--you can work and catch some great baseball

Good luck to all involved
Last edited by TRhit
As kids move on to college ball, it becomes an increasingly smaller universe where it is not at all unusual to cross paths with kids who have competed against each other in the past. I have met JT in Virginia and will be happy for any of our websters' sons who advance to the World Series. These are the elite teams and they have earned something special by being invited to play in this tournament. Some of the other teams in this tournamnet that my family has had a past relationship with a current player or coach includes:

Illinois Wesleyan
Ohio Wesleyan
Heidelberg
Wooster
Piedmont

Since we have so many webster's kids competing, I am going to feature this thread at the top of the forum. Please provide as many updates as possible to let us know how things are proceeding.

Congrats to all the young men, it is a small world indeed Smile
All games will be webcast from www.ecacsports.com through Bullpen Media.

Seedings: 1. Trinity (37-0); 2. Wheaton (32-8); 3. Keene State (33-9); 4.
Southern Maine (32-12); 5. Western New England College (31-11); 6. St. Joseph's
(Maine) 28-16; 7. Worcester State (23-16); 8. Castleton State (22-18).

First Round Games, Wednesday, May 14
Game One: Western New England vs. Southern Maine 9:30
Game Two: Castleton State vs. Trinity 1:00
Game Three: St. Joseph's vs. Keene State 4:30
Game Four: Worcester State vs. Wheaton 8:00

Second Round Games, Thursday, May 15
Game Five: Loser of Game One vs. Loser of Game Two 9:30
Game Six: Loser of Game Three vs. Loser of Game Four 1:00
Game Seven: Winner of Game One vs. Winner of Game Two 4:30
Game Eight: Winner of Game Three vs. Winner of Game Four 8:00

Third Round, Friday, May 16
Game Nine: Winner of Game Six vs. Loser of Game Seven 9:30
Game Ten: Loser of Game Eight vs. Winner of Game Five 1:00
Game 11: Winner of Game Seven vs. Winner of Game Eight 4:30
Game 12: Winner of Game Nine vs. Winner of Game Ten 8:00

Fourth Round, Saturday, May 17
Game 13: Winner of Game 12 vs. Loser of Game 11 12:00
Game 14: Winner of Game 11 vs. Winner of Game 13 4:00

Sunday, May 18
Game 15: if necessary 12:00
2008 NCAA Division III Mid-Atlantic Regional:
Wednesday, May 14

Game 1: #4 Penn State Behrend (34-10) vs. #5 Messiah College (27-16), 10 a.m.
Game 2: #1 Kean University (35-9) vs. #8 Gwynedd-Mercy College (21-18), 1:15 p.m.
Game 3: #3 The College of New Jersey (28-10) vs. #6 DeSales University (24-18-1), 4:30 p.m.
Game 4: #2 Rowan University (30-12) vs. #7 Keystone College (30-10), 7:45 p.m.

Thursday, May 15
Game 5: loser of game 1 vs. loser of game 2, 10 a.m.
Game 6: loser of game 3 vs. loser of game 4, 1:15 p.m.
Game 7: winner of game 1 vs. winner of game 2, 4:30 p.m.
Game 8: winner of game 3 vs. winner of game 4, 7:45 p.m.

Friday, May 16
Game 9: winner of game 6 vs. loser of game 7, 10 a.m.
Game 10: loser of game 8 vs. winner of game 5, 1:15 p.m.
Game 11: winner of game 7 vs. winner of game 8, 4:30 p.m.
Game 12: winner of game 10 vs. winner of game 9, 7:45 p.m.

Saturday, May 17
Game 13: winner of game 12 vs. loser of game 11, 1 p.m.
Game 14: winner of game 11 vs. winner of game 13, 5 p.m.

Sunday, May 18
Game 15: winner of game 14 vs. loser of game 14, 1 p.m. (if necessary)

The host Kean University will provide live stats online of all the games; check out the official regional website at:
http://www.keanathletics.com/NCAA/baseball2008/index
Last edited by RJM
hokieone's son and JT's son both have solid games to help their respective teams stay in the winners' brackets. Daddybags' son had a big game to lead Heidelberg in the Mid-East regional. There have also been some upsets today. An exciting day in college baseball.

PS - almost forgot - Grateful's team Adrian scored a big upset over Wooster. We miss Grateful around here btw Smile
Last edited by ClevelandDad
Congrats to hokie's son Parker who had two hits today. Unfortunately, CNU's fine season has come to an end. It is a cliche but only one team gets to win their last game.

JT's son and team are alive and well in the winner's bracket. Big game later this evening.

Heidelberg fell out of the winner's bracket losing to Grateful's team Adrian in a thriller this afternoon.
quote:
Originally posted by JT:
LC falls to Salisbury State 5-3...sending 3 teams each with one loss into Saturday. LC plays Johns Hopkins at noon...winner advances to play Salisbury for the regional title.

JT - I followed your game and it was exciting - just the wrong team won! Go out and win two tommorrow.

I have been following the Mid-East Regional as well. Wooster was down to their final strike in the bottom of 13th and trailing 8-7 with the bases loaded. Their shortstop who has yet to get a hit in the regionals unloaded a grand slam to eliminate Rose-Hulman. Unfortunately, it took all their energy and they dropped the nightcap on a bases loaded infield hit 1-0 in the bottom of the ninth to Heidelberg. Their pitcher, who was an All-American last year, pitched the opener two days ago and pitched all 9 innings tonight. Very gutsy performance. Heidelberg now has to beat Grateful's team Adrian twice to advance. My son had an ex high school teammate on Wooster who saw his career come to an end tonight. High drama indeed.
We've been chatting about the Mideast Regional in the OH forum. Adrian College playing Heidelberg should be a great game(s) today! I felt like every game in that regional would be close and they have been with the exception of one. I've followed Adrian for years and my fingers are crossed, but the outcome could go either way. Can't wait.

Now, after watching a dancing #7 for Lynchburg, I need to try and catch some of theirs too! Wink
quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:
Trinity (CT) is now 40-0 with today off while the others fight it out to see who plays them in the championship round tomorrow---just goes to show that when things are going right they are truly going right--a day off to rest pitching in a regional is a great bonus
If Southerm Maine can win tonight, two former Legion teammates will be playing across the field from each other for the right to play in the D3 World Series. Three years ago they were Legion national champions. The USM head coach's son played on the same Legion team. The Trinity player's dad was an assistant coach for the Legion team the USM coach played for years ago. All Southern Maine has to do to create this scenario is knock off Wheaton, which is no easy task.

Added note: It was an easy task. Southern Maine hammered Wheaton. Now comes the hard part, winning two versus Trinity with a worn pitching staff and the first game against a rested starter. Southern Maine's starter tonight just pitched seventeen innings in four days.
Last edited by RJM
quote:
Originally posted by JT:
It's two Maryland schools...JHU and Salisbury in the South final, as JHU eliminated Lynchburg today, 7-5.

JT - huge congrats to the Hornets on a very fine season. It was a white-knuckle affair that was tied in the 9th. I have a new nickname for the Hornets - Launchburg College

In another white-knuckle affair, Heidelberg won the first game handily of a two game do or die series with Adrian. Heidelberg had a 7-5 lead heading to the bottom of the ninth and dropped a heart-breaker to Adrian 8-7 on a sac fly.

For those of our members who remember Grateful, he is the pitching coach for Adrian. Huge congrats to the boys from Michigan headed to the CWS in Wisconsin
quote:
Huge congrats to the boys from Michigan headed to the CWS in Wisconsin

Absolutely! They're a great team that never gives up and have really good development of a deep pitching staff. I saw them play early this year under the worse heckling I've ever seen a college team play under and I couldn't believe their composure and grace.

Congrats to Heidelberg and the other teams that made it to the mideast and all the DIII regionals - some fun baseball!!! Looking forward to more from them and our other levels. It's a fun time of the year!
Congratulations to Trinity for winning the New England Region and entering the D3WS 41-0. Here's how to win a region: Don't fall into the loser's bracket. Have your starters complete three of four games while pitching 34 of 36 innings, while the team from the loser's bracket is trying to figure out who can pitch next inning playing their seventh game in five days. Want to keep the opposition down? Don't give away anything. Four walks in four games. Scoring 32 runs in four games doesn't hurt either.

Thanks to TR for the heads up on Trinity about fourteen games ago. I watched them play live three games, caught up with a friend I hadn't seen in thirty years and pulled for his son's team watching all the webcasts this weekend.
Last edited by RJM
My guys at CNU were knocked out but the experience was a blast. The six teams were very talented and the baseball was just wonderful. It's hard to beat watching 3-4 great games each day.

Enjoyed seeing JT, CVSting (whose son is at CNU too), and Zeke, and ran into the father of a Piedmont player that I met at a Perfect Game showcase in Florida years ago.

JT's son can flat dance, and the raid delay video on YouTube is wonderful. My older son has no rhythm whatsoever but seeing 6'4", 230 lbs doing the Macarena was priceless...and was actually his last time on a college field in uniform. It pretty well captures the fun he had in his 5 years of college baseball. He had a total of 1 start in a five year career, but hung in there, was the king of keep it loose, and had fun....and is one class short of his degree, at long last. He indeed "gets the ring" for the Conference title, something that likely means more to him than the degree. Nice way to go out.
A couple of updates from today. A matchup that had teams a lot of us follow was Adrian vs John Hopkins. JH won 3-2 in a 14 inning game!!!

I believe Trinity is playing right now and I've become a bit of a follower of them because of that amazing record. Fan or not, you have to kinda root for them to keep it up! That's an amazing record for any school at any level.
Trinity won and gets memorial day off which is HUGE! Adrian, U of Wisconsin at Whitewater and John Hopkins play today. Then the winner of that will play again today against John Hopkins later in the day. A tough thing for either Adrian or UWW to do I'm sure. Although Adrian has had a 14 inning game, a 12 inning game and then a 9 inning game, they have been very stingy with the pitchers and still have some arms. I'd love to see a Trinity and Adrian matchup tomorrow - that's what my fingers are crossed for! What a fun tourney this has been regardless of who lives for tomorrow.

Go Dogs!
Johns Hopkins has just pulled off the impossible thus far this year. By scoring a run in the top of the 9th inning, they just beat Trinity College who has now suffered their FIRST loss of the year. How devastating must that be to come at this time. They are slated to play the second championship game this afternoon for all the marbles.

A side note - JT's son's team - Lynchburg College, had the lead on Johns Hopkins entering the bottom of the 9th but could not hold it. How close this game is to turning for one team or another. I believe LC might be playing today if they could have held them off.
The game was tied 3-3 heading into the ninth when Chris Huisman led off the inning with a double down the right field line. Katz then came in to run for Huisman and moved to third on Matt Benchener’s sacrifice bunt.

Trinity starter Tim Kiely struck out Nate Adelman on a pitch in the dirt, but the ball popped away from catcher Sean Killeen. Katz broke for home and just slid in under the tag of Kiely.

OUCH!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.