Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by floridafan:
I think the question is a pitcher that is 5'10 or 11 (190) and a pitcher that is 6'1" or 2 (205). Both throw 93, cruise at 89-91 and have 3 quality pitches and both get outs.

The 6'1" guy gets the nod over an inch or two...

Florida Fan let me tell you what I'm going to do with these two guys........one pitches on Monday and the other guy pitches on Tuesday. Four days later they are going to do it again.
If you worry about how short you are ,it will be your biggest obstacle.

Bobblehead has it right...

Luckily my boys got their height from their Mom's side of the family - I'm about 5'7" and was ALWAYS the shortest kid in my class...Last I measured, over a year ago, my 2011 is about 6'1" and my 2014 is already taller than I was at my 2011's age! But, I have hopefully taught them a good lesson that they should not expect that someone's size will dictate their talent nor their desire. Don't let the 90+ arm intimidate you at the plate and don't think the 4' nothing kid can't hit or throw gas...

Height is something you can't control and you're gonna end up living with it the rest of your life. Worry about the things you can control...I was lucky to be told that and actually listen to it early enough that I never cared...

I laughed out loud last year as I was reading the roster for the first time and saw my older son listed as 5'11" and a good friend of his listed as 6'1"...I looked up to see them standing and chatting on the field before the game and my son was well over an inch taller than his friend...I didn't care what the roster said, it was pretty easy for anyone to see the reality...

I've always considered it a challenge when someone indicated they didn't think I could accomplish something...That started with the little kid having to prove himself when playing with bigger kids at or above my age...I'm really glad I learned that lesson early on and I hope my boys have as well!
From Yahoo MLB rosters (2/9/10) ...

Orioles: 17 pitchers, 13 6'1" or taller
Red Sox: 19 pitchers: 14
Yankees: 18 pitchers, 16
Rays: 16 pitchers, 13
Jays: 23 pitchers, 19

White Sox: 14 pitchers, 13 6'1" or taller
Indians: 17 pitchers, 14
Tigers: 19 pitchers, 16
Royals: 16 pitchers, 15
Twins: 16 pitchers, 13

Angels: 20 pitchers, 17 6'1" or taller
Athletics: 18 pitchers, 16
Mariners: 13 pitchers, 12
Rangers: 20 pitchers, 18

236 pitchers, 209 6'1" or taller
89% of American League pitchers are 6'1" or taller.

2009 American League all-stars
12 pitchers, 12 6'1" or taller
Last edited by RJM
Willie Mays was 5'10. He was a student of the game.

"I would go home at night and create what I was going to do the next day," Willie Mays said in a recent interview. "It sounds kind of childish. But if I feel that we're going to have a good crowd or something, and I want to do something the next day to make sure the crowd enjoyed what I did, well, then I'd look at a couple of films by myself and figure out something that I can do to make them holler. And I would do it."

IMO
Size of the body is not important, it is the size of the "heart" and "mind" that is important.

Willie visualized success! This is a "common" tread of the great players, regardless of size.

Bob Williams
If height and weight don't matter than why?

It doesn't in HS.

It doesn't in college. To stick around your proving your worth on a annual if not a per game basis. If you can play and stay academically elegible, you get another year, if not, see ya.

My guess in the Mlb if the local scout ,regional scout, crosschecker, director of scouting and GM's perception that 5.10 155 lb pitchers of Armenian descent are most likely to get a return on bonus dollars paid in the first ten rounds or equvialant money, and will do so in 4-5 years, than there going to covet 5.10 155 lb Armenian pitchers. Unlike HS or college, Mlb does not need immediate production. But they do need a return on their investment.

The current perception is that tall pitchers will give them that return. CYA baby, that's the name of the game.
Last edited by dswann
Ya know this height thing has been on my mind for years, only because my guy had not cracked 6' at 17 or so and is now 20, still under 6' (unless he is on concrete and wearing cleats Big Grin).

Because it did not appear that he would be 6'2" (I am 6'1") we moved away from pitching while he was in HS and focused instead on hitting, fielding, and general development. In HS he pitched a little but just to close. Otherwise he was at 3rd or SS.

Now that he is in college and supposed to be playing up the middle, we find that a couple pitchers became either ineligible or injured and he has had to take the mound. He is getting attention (89-92 with plus curve) and that is always good, but now folks (scouts) are not sure, are they looking at a sub 6' pitcher or a 5'11" infielder?

Heck! I don't know anymore either...I know, I know...enjoy the ride, LOL!
Last edited by floridafan
First of all, I would like to apologize to NP13. I received a PM and realize that I once again misunderstood what was posted or at least the way it was posted.

Some have told me that I shouldn’t reply to certain things when PG becomes a topic. I’m pretty sure that they’re right about that. I know this will sound stupid, but maybe it will help explain.

People need to understand that my boys are done playing baseball. They did very well in my estimation. Now, two of them work for us. No one here would ever allow someone to pick apart their son on this site. That is a big no-no here as it should be. We get very protective when it comes to our children.

Well, not to use it as an excuse, but PG is my BABY! I know he is not perfect, but I’m very proud of him! I know how hard he has worked and what is important to him. I don’t like it when people get on him! Yet, I get disappointed in him at times, too.

Sure, some will say he is just another business. That might be true to everyone else, but not to me. I do not expect everyone to understand this or even agree with it. But if he were nothing more than a business, he would have failed miserably many years ago.

It took a lot of tears, hard work and faith to save him, not to mention the luck. He did it by doing things for the right reasons. And he realizes there’s much room for improvement. He’s a good boy! Of course, it's not as much as my real children, but I love him!

Back on the topic. I think most everyone knows that size does count. Especially with pitchers and more so with professional baseball. At the same time, I think many over estimate this size issue. There have been too many great players that lacked this so called ideal size. So size is an advantage, but it will never replace ability and desire. If it did there would be no players in the Major Leagues under 6-0 tall. Check out the rosters of MLB clubs and the top college programs.

One last comment on “listed” size.

You can have two players listed at 5’11/200 lbs… One might look like a great athlete while the other could look like a soft slob. If you don’t see them they sound the same.

Body type is more important than listed size. Whether a kid is tall or short there are certain things that scouts look for. Things that give clues regarding athleticism and projection. These things can involve a 6’7” player or a 5’7” player.

Last year at this time we watched a 5-10/170 RHP from a high school in Iowa throw 92 in our building. He also had three very good pitches. We graded him "10". I asked him how interested he was in the draft. He said, well I’m a 5’10” RHP from Iowa, I know they’re not going to pick me early enough for me to give up school. Thought to myself… What a smart kid! BTW, he was a smart kid and he will be pitching for Stanford! He is listed at Stanford the same 5-10/170 he reported to us. When he’s done there, this 5’10” pitcher will probably be seen in Pro Ball. If he does well enough we might see him in the Big Leagues someday.

So was the 5’10” a big disadvantage for this kid? Yes it kept him from being an early pick out of high school. When it’s all said and done, was it a disadvantage? We will find out. So far he is a 5-10/170 RHP from Iowa that was heavily recruited by many top colleges and signed with Stanford. And he never fibbed about his size.
Last edited by PGStaff
quote:
There have been too many great players that lacked this so called ideal size.

Drew Brees comes to mind this week. Wink

quote:
Last year at this time we watched a 5-10/170 RHP from a high school in Iowa throw 92 in our building. He also had three very good pitches. We graded him "10". I asked him how interested he was in the draft. He said, well I’m a 5’10” RHP from Iowa, I know they’re not going to pick me early enough for me to give up school. Thought to myself… What a smart kid! BTW, he was a smart kid and he will be pitching for Stanford! He is listed at Stanford the same 5-10/170 he reported to us. When he’s done there, this 5’10” pitcher will probably be seen in Pro Ball. If he does well enough we might see him in the Big Leagues someday.

Lookin' forward to watching this young man on The Farm.

PGStaff...when I posted earlier, I kind of thought it must have hit you in the way you described. After your followup, I went back and tried to put my parental brain to work and I could see what you might have seen...but I'm glad the OP got in touch with you and its all good! Big Grin
No need to appologize PG. Your wisdom, not only personally, but what you can put together and share from a pure statistics standpoint with what you see at your showcases and tournaments far outweigh anything else.

I feel you are providing a service that people can choose to take advantage of - or not. It's not a scam or a way to take advantage of the unsuspecting. People don't like it, don't do it. If people want to get national exposure for their player, then PG is probably the best out there. I haven't seen any other service that posts profiles for the general public like you guys do.

Anyway, I think when you get fired up, you actually wind up explaining some things that people didn't know about. Let's you vent and people learn. No biggie.

Keep it up.
quote:
Drew Brees comes to mind this week.

Great example!!! He is five or six inches shorter than Peyton Manning.

During the Super Bowl pregame, Dr. James Andrews of baseball fame described how badly Brees was injured in San Diego. Said his shoulder socket was actually forced out the bottom of his arm pit. Said only 1 out of 100 guys would ever come back from an injury like that and Brees did it in one year. Said the whole key was his determination during rehab. I'll lay HUGE money Drew Brees has been told he was too small his whole life. Kurt Warner is another one who refused to listen to the naysayers.
Size....hitting mechanics, pitching mechanics, genetics.

Al the above are used to justify a position on a player.

Less and less about stats on the field and results.

If you are 6"3' have a parent that played and look good, the door opens easily, never mind not ever hitting above .200 or have an ERA under 5.

Almost to a point if you excel at the game don't have the size,and or have mechanics they don't understand, like, or teach... baseball a tough go.

If you are a flicked with that tall skinny disease the road is easier and longer.
Last edited by showme
showme,
In the big leagues. For example I was at a single A game where a kid was hitting under .200. He was clearly overmatched. He signed for a fair amount and was obviously in the lineup based on projection, not production.

The next year he posted pretty good stats in the same league and seems to be moving forward in his career. He hit over .290 with 15 HR this past season at the AA level.

Mistakes are made but generally these guys know what they are doing even though it doesn't always make sense to the rest of us.
Last edited by CADad
quote:
Originally posted by sandlotmom:
quote:
Originally posted by playfair:

a 6'5" 200 lb guy that throws a wild 93 will be given the opportunity to go beyond his current results at a much higher level than a a 5'10" guy throwing a well honed 87..

This is exactly what the scout told me...almost word for word.

I agree, but did you ask why?
A MLB pitcher should to be able to deliver the ball in a certain amount of seconds, the faster the velo, the taller the pitcher the quicker it gets there. So the tall guy throwing 93 but maybe out of control gets the opportunity to work towards that goal.
It's often said that stats don't matter, but I think "bad" stats matter more than "good" stats. (If that makes any sense)

Good stats can be the result of weak competition, poor scorekeeping, and other things. Bad stats are usually a result of being a bad player.

High school kid hitting .500 might mean nothing to a scout or recruiter. High school kid hitting under .200, now that does mean something. That message is loud and clear!

This is an old thread but I have a similar question related to height and thought I'd post it here. My nephew is a very good player and is only about 5'5" 145 as a 2022 who red shirted due to his size (didn't help much).  He's very talented and has top 10% metrics metrics as an OF.   MLB aside are do D1 colleges looking a kid that's only 5'5" 150 as a 17 year old or should he be more focused on D2 or D3?  He is currently tweeting at and sending video "power 5 conferences" and has gotten some responses but in his profile lists himself as 5'9 155.  I think 4 inches is a bit disingenuous and he should think about being more realistic but my brother in law thinks that everyone exaggerates so it doesn't matter what you put in the profile.   Thoughts from anyone with experience appreciated. I get that size shouldn't matter but reading above it probably does and a 5 inch fib seems like it could tick off some College Coaches/RCs.  

I would say lying about your height by 5 inches is never a good way to make good a first impression. If he is 5'5, he's short and every coach that sees him will recognize this. Why waste time talking to schools when they're immediately going to see a 5 inch lie. Imagine a 6'0 kid trying to pass as 6'5, it would be silly. 5'11 can be 6'0 with cleats, but 5'5 is never going to be 5'9. 

You can play high level baseball without size. Madrigal and Altuve do it, but they also have more than one plus tool and do it against the highest level of pitching consistently. You say his metrics are in the top 10%, top 10% of what and what are the tools? 

Bottom line is he can be 6'5 or 5'1, he has to hit high 80s pitching regularly and make loud outs if he wants to play D1 baseball. 60 time, exit velo, and all those stats are absolutely useless if he can't hit the hard throwers. 

To answer your question - no D1s aren't looking for 5'5 sub 150lbs players. If there happens to be a guy of that size who hits bombs against good pitching and has a great glove, exceptions can be made, but I can't think of more than 5 or 6. 

Which level should he target? Has anybody indicated what type of prospect he may be? What does his summer schedule look like? Is he playing locally or is he playing in the best events against other D1 kids? I would focus on targeting baseball programs that would be a good academic fit. 

I'm of the firm opinion that height and weight absolutely matter.  My 2021 MIF/CF son is 5'9" (actual) and 155-160 lbs and he passes ZERO eye ball tests when he walks through the door.  His measureables all fall within D1 thresholds (6.7 60, 3.87 Home to 1st, 90 OF velo, 86 INF velo) with the exception of exit velo. He's about 93 mph off a tee now and 95+ is what many say is needed to play D1.  He will be there before he steps foot on college campus a year from now, but D1 didn't happen.  He's headed to a good JUCO to work on getting a shot at a shorter stint in D1.  With just about every camp, showcase, etc he took part in, his size was the exception.  A coach's eyes always open wider when a 6'3" 210 lb kid steps on to the field.  I'm not bitter, but it'd be silly to think 3 inches and 25 lbs wouldn't be a difference maker in his case.  Smaller players simply need to do more to get attention.  Walk in at 5'9" 160 and no one says "Awesome, I'm excited to see what THIS kid does."

there's a kid in our area. stood out as a kid but less so now, among his age group. stands out compared to his class, though, since he's reclassed 2x. somewhere in there, though, a year was shaved off of his pg profile making it look like he reclassed "only" 1x. 

ht and weight, I think, were exaggerated but he's experienced a growth spurt and his real height seems to have caught up with his listed height.

@mattys posted:

there's a kid in our area. stood out as a kid but less so now, among his age group. stands out compared to his class, though, since he's reclassed 2x. somewhere in there, though, a year was shaved off of his pg profile making it look like he reclassed "only" 1x. 

ht and weight, I think, were exaggerated but he's experienced a growth spurt and his real height seems to have caught up with his listed height.

I think we are going to see this a lot this year (I know it has always happened, but there is going to be a deluge in the next 12 months).  Every parent that has been on the border is going to use the current situation with school uncertainty to move back a year.  In our area it is already happening, even with kids that are big and hit their growth spurt.  This weekend saw a 14 year 10 month old pitch in a 13u tournament.  That is 2 years separation.  In the past couple of weeks it has felt like many of the 2025 teams are picking up new reclassified players.

I think we are going to see this a lot this year (I know it has always happened, but there is going to be a deluge in the next 12 months).  Every parent that has been on the border is going to use the current situation with school uncertainty to move back a year.  In our area it is already happening, even with kids that are big and hit their growth spurt.  This weekend saw a 14 year 10 month old pitch in a 13u tournament.  That is 2 years separation.  In the past couple of weeks it has felt like many of the 2025 teams are picking up new reclassified players.

I can see the conversation in two years "the coaching staff knows you should be on varsity bc you have the skillset of a junior but we're keeping you on freshman this year because we need someone to drive the team to away games"

Lying four inches on height is a bad move. The first impression the coach will have is the kid is dishonest and tried to trick him. My son is 6’2” in socks so the truth wasn’t an issue. But I wouldn’t go more than an inch beyond height with cleats on. 

The way for a 5’5” player to draw D1 attention is be the most noticeable player on the field. Impact the game. It will draw him a second look. Then, do it again.

A 5’5” outfielder better be running a 6.6 or better sixty. Is he?

Last edited by RJM
@DanJ posted:

I'm of the firm opinion that height and weight absolutely matter.  My 2021 MIF/CF son is 5'9" (actual) and 155-160 lbs and he passes ZERO eye ball tests when he walks through the door.  His measureables all fall within D1 thresholds (6.7 60, 3.87 Home to 1st, 90 OF velo, 86 INF velo) with the exception of exit velo. He's about 93 mph off a tee now and 95+ is what many say is needed to play D1.  He will be there before he steps foot on college campus a year from now, but D1 didn't happen.  He's headed to a good JUCO to work on getting a shot at a shorter stint in D1.  With just about every camp, showcase, etc he took part in, his size was the exception.  A coach's eyes always open wider when a 6'3" 210 lb kid steps on to the field.  I'm not bitter, but it'd be silly to think 3 inches and 25 lbs wouldn't be a difference maker in his case.  Smaller players simply need to do more to get attention.  Walk in at 5'9" 160 and no one says "Awesome, I'm excited to see what THIS kid does."

Man o’ man does this sound sooooooooo familiar, almost exactly. And when you hit .450,.500,.420 in your last 3 HS/summer seasons and still nothing you realize that they are just basing it on size. It’s a joke. Even when you put on 25lbs and get to 5’10” 160 and take care of the classroom and have great references but still nothing you really wonder what coaches are looking for.

I will say, as I have in other threads, this year with the ‘21 class it’s all just a mess. Schools just are not bringing as many position players in. So maybe that has an impact but buy and large the size thing gets thrown in our face in a daily basis. It’s maddening and depressing for the player for sure. It sad because I think a lot of players in this class will end up not playing because of the situation.

This is a great thread as we are sharing some of the same frustrations.   Son just finished Freshman year, 5'11 and 160 pound SS. Straight A student.  Ran a 6.73 60 at camp, posted a 91 mph exit velo off a tee at a showcase, throws 85mph across the infield and is a secondary pitcher who recently ran his fastball up to 86mph.  Getting in done on both sides of the ball in live play also.   Plays for a top notch travel organization and he's had minimal interest because he's been told he needs to fill out more.   Meanwhile he's been watch "bigger" kids with lesser measurables get picked up.   

Height has never been an issue in our family. So, we’ve never been through the ignored due to size issue. My son was 6’2” 175 when he entered college. He was still expected to get bigger (fill out), faster, stronger. Soph year he was 195. It’s like the pitcher who throws 95 and doesn’t hit the strike zone in high school. The coaches are looking at potential upside. You can’t buy size. You can’t develop size. It’s there or it isn’t. The college coaches are projecting.

Once past the top couple hundred players in a class the next potential few thousand D1 prospects tend to blend in together. Unless a player wows coaches and dominates play it becomes all about appearance and projection. 

I wasn’t aware of Nick Madrigal (5’8”) until he was starring in college ball. I’m guessing he projected as a top player, not just a D1 prospect early in high school. 

@4arms posted:

This is a great thread as we are sharing some of the same frustrations.   Son just finished Freshman year, 5'11 and 160 pound SS. Straight A student.  Ran a 6.73 60 at camp, posted a 91 mph exit velo off a tee at a showcase, throws 85mph across the infield and is a secondary pitcher who recently ran his fastball up to 86mph.  Getting in done on both sides of the ball in live play also.   Plays for a top notch travel organization and he's had minimal interest because he's been told he needs to fill out more.   Meanwhile he's been watch "bigger" kids with lesser measurables get picked up.   

5’11”?  That is not short. 
Measurables are great to have, but you still have to hit the ball! And hit the ball in front of the right people (coaches who’s program’s you are interested in). 

This is an old thread but I have a similar question related to height and thought I'd post it here. My nephew is a very good player and is only about 5'5" 145 as a 2022 who red shirted due to his size (didn't help much).  He's very talented and has top 10% metrics metrics as an OF.   MLB aside are do D1 colleges looking a kid that's only 5'5" 150 as a 17 year old or should he be more focused on D2 or D3?  He is currently tweeting at and sending video "power 5 conferences" and has gotten some responses but in his profile lists himself as 5'9 155.  I think 4 inches is a bit disingenuous and he should think about being more realistic but my brother in law thinks that everyone exaggerates so it doesn't matter what you put in the profile.   Thoughts from anyone with experience appreciated. I get that size shouldn't matter but reading above it probably does and a 5 inch fib seems like it could tick off some College Coaches/RCs.  

He is 17. Power 5 are mostly done with recruiting his class. It would be a long shot to get P5 offers at this stage of his process. Short guys CAN play D1. Hit the ball!  
There are other programs besides P5. Target those. Get your summer ball coach involved in promoting the player. Be on a team that faces stud pitching regularly and dominate. Dominate in front of the schools you have interest, that are still recruiting. 
I can’t stress this enough: HIT THE BALL. 

Last edited by RoadRunner
@4arms posted:

Your son is young, you should not worry about getting only minimal interest at this time.  Let him get better at working on skills and filling out.  Use next summer to show off in person.

JMO

It’s really maddening for sure. Especially when the kid clicks every intangible box you could ever want him to. So much for coaches care about the entire player and who he is. ROFL

There was a time where I allowed this to get to me.  My son is small, but has D1 measurables and he checks all the intangible boxes.  It used to bother me that it wasn't "fair," but I left all that baggage behind.  A) it's not forward moving to live there and B) no one can blame coaches for their 21st century approach.  What are coaches really doing?  They're leveraging efficiencies and they're using math to make educated guesses in projecting players.  In this day and age, how many coaches have tons of time to really dig deep into evaluating a kid like mine?  Roughly none.  You can't see my son's high AVG and OBP in a showcase or camp.  You often can't see it over the course of one tourney.  It's not sexy when viewed in small sample sizes.  Want to get a TRUE picture of exactly what my son will give you?  Well, settle it because his overall value - while high - is best viewed over time.  Not with 8 swings of BP at a showcase or whatever.  You'll need to be patient with my kid and that much quicker with your other recruits because your time is finite.  And time is likely your most valuable commodity.  Imagine being a coach who puts in the marathon for a prospect and then it turns out that it wasn't worth it.  D'oh!  How many marathons do you run without finishing before you're forced to try sprinting?

I always put it like this.  What would Vegas say about the recruit if they were handicapping the process?  The coaches know.  Add up all the best college players who were most successful over the past year.  Or 2, 5 or 10.  Then separate them into 2 groups: 1) 5'10" and under and 2) 5'11 and above.  Everyone knows which group will be larger.  Much larger.  That's not bias or laziness.  That's just math.

So when you're pressed for time and resources and are getting pelted with 300 emails every day, a coach (who wants to keep his job) HAS to draw some lines; some thresholds under which he can't put in the time for a recruit. Height, weight, exit velo, etc can all be measured in minutes.  Will a coach miss out out some amazing players operating this way?  Without question.  But the math clearly points to where the risk is less.  We can't fault any coach for playing the best odds.  That's simply smart.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.