Skip to main content

I see a lot of celebration concerning the new eligibility rules, but seems to me there are a lot of questions:

1. Where does the money come from?

2. What will the seniors do/or be allowed to do?

3. Will schools be able to honor their 2020/2021 commits?

4. Will kids panic and transfer to other schools?

5. Will there be a load of walk ons now with kids not playing?

6. IVY's are not allowing seniors to stay so will they benefit?

What are you thought?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Good Knight posted:

I see a lot of celebration concerning the new eligibility rules, but seems to me there are a lot of questions:

2020's have signed NLI's so the schools HAVE to honor the scholarships. Of course they can tell the player there's no spot on the team and effectively force them to transfer or give up college baseball. But that's nothing new...

2021's and 2022's will be the ones that feel it the most. Verbals don't mean a darn thing especially during a pandemic.

I would think schools will cut their 2021 commitments in half.  Look at the school your son is committed to.  How many seniors were on the team?  How many played/started?  Some schools may have less impact.  Either way, every class getting to stay an extra year causes some issues.   A lot of it may get worked out next year with kids transferring that don't want to redshirt (if that's allowed), and if there are places for them to go.  It makes my head hurt.  Regardless, if you aren't in the top half of the recruiting class the next few years, I think you have something to worry about.

1. Where does the money come from?

Each school will have to decide if they want to spend the extra money to keep the Corona Seniors.  They are not required to honor any scholarships but they will for their studs.  I think most coaches will find money for a 5th year stud.  5th year non-stud, probably not.  The P5's will have access to some money and the lower level D1's will tell their seniors except maybe 1 or 2 sorry we would love to have you but we can't give you anything.

2. What will the seniors do/or be allowed to do?

They should be able to transfer.  I think that will definitely pass  in June because they will need it to keep some rosters down so the schools will vote for it. 

Not all of them.  They will tell some of them that are walk-ons and preferred walk-ons they can come to fall but will not have room for them in the spring and they will tell some.  Sorry, it was the virus' fault but we don't have room for you now.  Hopefully sooner than later.  If I'm a 2021, I'm talking to my commitment school in about 3/4 weeks, not today because they will not have a truthful answer.  They will tell you what you want to hear.  But after they have time to figure it out I think many coaches will do the right thing and tell their recruits they don't have room for them.  I don't think very few know today until they talk to their returning players and find out what their seniors and juniors are going to do.

4. Will kids panic and transfer to other schools?

YES.  But where.  Everybody is in the same boat so unless you are going down a level there is no where to go.  By that I mean, if you are an SEC recruit and going to a lower level P5 or mid-major or juco.  I know a few jucos that are licking their lips because they know they are going to get some studs that are at P5's or were going to P5's.  You can bet your bottom dollar that there are some deals being done today between P5 coaches and their juco buddies to send some guys their way then get them back.  I don't think it will just be 2020s and 2021s.  I think the big losers could be 2022s and 2023s because they might not get recruited heavily.  If you are not a stud in those classes you might have to work even harder to get seen.  Especially if there is no summer ball this year.

5. Will there be a load of walk ons now with kids not playing?

No.  Fewer true walk-ons because there will be more preferred walk-ons.  I don't think there will be hardly any room for true walk-ons.  There could be 5-10 extra players with some on scholarship that would not have been there.

No.  Why would you not allow your stud senior who was not drafted to come back for another shot rather than take $20,000. 

ABSORBER posted:
Good Knight posted:

2020's have signed NLI's so the schools HAVE to honor the scholarships. Of course they can tell the player there's no spot on the team and effectively force them to transfer or give up college baseball. But that's nothing new...

2021's and 2022's will be the ones that feel it the most. Verbals don't mean a darn thing especially during a pandemic.

I think the NLI's became even more worthless as a contract.  How many guys who were given a scholarship, which means they are probably in the top 1/2 of the recruiting class, will go to school without playing baseball.  The coaches have an out this year and can blame over recruiting on Corona.  They will make the NLI's useless by saying "yes, we still have to honor your scholarship but you are not playing here.  Enjoy the classes."  I don't know a single player that I have ever coached or helped(100's) that signed a NLI that would continue to go to the college they signed with without playing baseball. 

Now there will be some who acted like they signed an NLI on signing day that are really preferred walk-ons that might still go without baseball but not ones that signed a scholarship.

Let me clarify on above post that I put No. to Ivy's.  I'm not saying it's not true I'm saying it should not be happening.  Why would you not allow your seniors to come back if the NCAA says they can?  I'm sure it was a decision made by conference but I would have a hard time telling my stud senior he could not come back for his extra year and watch him transfer to another school.

Good Knight posted:

What are you thought?

Good Knight,

This is business as usual for the Ivys.  I was not expecting the conference to allow seniors to come back.  They've never allowed graduate students to play NCAA sports.  I believe that is specifically called out in their charter.   Yes, it sucks to lose your senior year like this, however the lifeblood of an Ivy program is typically a mixture of incoming talent and a few upper classmen.   What I don't know is if the NCAA is going to allow Ivy seniors to transfer and not count 2020 against them without a redshirt year.   Possibly the NCAA would allow this as an exception.  Again, I'd be curious to know the answer.

Over the years there have been some Ivy players who have medically redshirted and played as graduate transfers at other schools but they had a year of eligibility left.   My son played with a couple guys who got their MBAs at Duke.   Worked out for them.

PitchingFan posted:

Let me clarify on above post that I put No. to Ivy's.  I'm not saying it's not true I'm saying it should not be happening.  Why would you not allow your seniors to come back if the NCAA says they can?  I'm sure it was a decision made by conference but I would have a hard time telling my stud senior he could not come back for his extra year and watch him transfer to another school.

Ivy's only allow undergraduate students to participate in athletics. I would imagine most Ivy graduates don't use a school's athletic program to assist their decision-making process when deciding where to attend grad school. To change this rule I would imagine they would have to open athletics up to ALL graduate students regardless of sport/season and whether they were affected by COVID-19 cancellations.

fenwaysouth posted:
Good Knight posted:

What are you thought?

Good Knight,

This is business as usual for the Ivys.  I was not expecting the conference to allow seniors to come back.  They've never allowed graduate students to play NCAA sports.  I believe that is specifically called out in their charter.   Yes, it sucks to lose your senior year like this, however the lifeblood of an Ivy program is typically a mixture of incoming talent and a few upper classmen.   What I don't know is if the NCAA is going to allow Ivy seniors to transfer and not count 2020 against them without a redshirt year.   Possibly the NCAA would allow this as an exception.  Again, I'd be curious to know the answer.

Over the years there have been some Ivy players who have medically redshirted and played as graduate transfers at other schools but they had a year of eligibility left.   My son played with a couple guys who got their MBAs at Duke.   Worked out for them.

I don't see how Ivy seniors would be treated (by the NCAA) any different than any other D1 senior. The bigger question is whether any schools will have openings for them (as grad transfers).

Wake Forest's grad transfer from Cornell (red-shirt freshman year) had quite a 2020 (short) season! He led the team offensively. I'm sure he'll be on the roster for them next year which will work out quite nicely for him (earning his degree).

Will an underclassman be allowed to transfer without sitting out a year?  I can assume there are Freshman/Sophomores who look around and see little playing time in there future.  Many Juniors who previously would have been drafted/signed are not going to leave for $20K.  This will clog some players potential paths to playing time.  I realize there may be fewer places for a player to go, but if he is an upgrade for a team they will take him and deal with the roster management.  More of a problem for position players than pitchers.  Pitchers that can perform get opportunities due to timing and injuries.  Position players can get buried very quickly on a roster.  

I assume there will be more Senior signs (teams need to fill minor league rosters) but still quite a few potential players returning to complete undergrad degrees or start grad degrees.  These will probably be better players that did not get pro offers.  Coaches will not hold a spot for a Senior who was not a significant contributor.   They need to keep the line moving.  Many will feel bad for the Seniors but they do not get paid to be sentimental.  They want to put the best team on the field.  

I am going with what I was told. Freshman are a programs future.  

Two important developments.

As per Kendall Rogers. JC transfers who were sophmores this spring will head to D1 programs this fall as juniors- a waiver can be submitted.  

Transfers/ Grad Transfers can move to a new program to get year back. Grads can get more than previous aid amount at  a new school.

Remember if you think that this is a mess and may impact your player negatively, you can thank the NCAA!

Last edited by TPM

Don't you think that any juco who was going to leave for D1 will need to have a hard talk with D1 coach?  What will my role be, playing time?  Should I stay at juco for another year and then make the jump?  I think any juco player planning on moving should have the same conversation that a 2021 needs to have with D1 to help them decide on their future.  I think there will be some stacked juco's this year as well as the level of D1 baseball will go up a level.   It will be much harder to pick ahead of time who will win CWS because the landscape will be so changed by spring 2021 on so many teams. 

PitchingFan posted:

Don't you think that any juco who was going to leave for D1 will need to have a hard talk with D1 coach?  What will my role be, playing time?  Should I stay at juco for another year and then make the jump?  I think any juco player planning on moving should have the same conversation that a 2021 needs to have with D1 to help them decide on their future.  I think there will be some stacked juco's this year as well as the level of D1 baseball will go up a level.   It will be much harder to pick ahead of time who will win CWS because the landscape will be so changed by spring 2021 on so many teams. 

In many programs, JUCO transfers are necessary.

Not in P5's but mostly in mid D1 programs.

And no if anyone asks, my player would not be wasting time 3 years in D1.  

I am sure that  today that coaches are on phone today discussing options.

TPM posted:
PitchingFan posted:

ALL freshmen that are D1 commits to top 50 programs should be reevaluating their situation and looking into JuCo options. 

adbono posted:
TPM posted:
PitchingFan posted:

ALL freshmen that are D1 commits to top 50 programs should be reevaluating their situation and looking into JuCo options. 

That was poorly worded. I meant 2020 HS seniors 

PitchingFan posted:

I'd think most of the Sophomore's will have to move on. You can only take so many hours at Juco's.  They increased the cap to 72 hours, but that doesn't mean the 4 years school will take those hours.  Adbono, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the Juco Sophomore's and what their options are,

d-mac posted:
PitchingFan posted:

I'd think most of the Sophomore's will have to move on. You can only take so many hours at Juco's.  They increased the cap to 72 hours, but that doesn't mean the 4 years school will take those hours.  Adbono, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the Juco Sophomore's and what their options are,

JuCo Sophomores are in a tough spot. You got the academic challenge identified correctly. A third year of Juco is pretty much an academic waste for most kids. In other posts I’ve suggested that every HS senior should be looking for JuCo options - I don’t care what D1 school you are committed to. It’s not that simple for JuCo Soph transfers. First criteria would be whether or not an NLI has been signed. If so, and $ are big, probably best to stay the course. But that’s not the case for most. If it were my kid I would be looking for an opportunity to bounce down to better situation. P5 to mid major, D1 mid major to top D2 program, etc. In order to make a move that creates a better situation there will have to be some significant roster analysis and fact checking. I wouldn’t take anyone’s word for granted without verifying anything that can be verified. 

I haven't seen anyone mention the fact that the NLI works both ways - all these HS 2020s who have signed NLIs are already contractually bound to that program.  If they change their commitment now, they will have to sit out a year at the new school, AND lose one season of eligibility.

Waivers and releases can possibly be available, but it does complicate the process.

T_Thomas posted:

I haven't seen anyone mention the fact that the NLI works both ways - all these HS 2020s who have signed NLIs are already contractually bound to that program.  If they change their commitment now, they will have to sit out a year at the new school, AND lose one season of eligibility.

Waivers and releases can possibly be available, but it does complicate the process.

D1 HCs will be jumping at the chance to release some players from their NLI. A roster of 50 plus is unmanageable. Any freshman can drop down to JuCo with no penalty and have a chance to play instead of wearing a redshirt. Many that show up at their D1 school are going to end up at a Juco anyway. They just don’t know it yet. 

As adbono says a couple of post up, you have to look at the rosters for the schools you are targeting.  This is a handful of SEC and ACC teams from my son's list.  

I pulled roster numbers from each university's webpage, some include current redshirts as some rosters have more that 35 players listed.  As my son is a pitcher, the second number in each field is the number of pitchers broken out.  I added a column for each class to show the PG recruiting class data to get an idea of retention.   I did not dig into the level of accounting for incoming transfers replacing outgoing cuts/transfers so the data is a little dirty in that regard.

It's just one snapshot but certainly something to be learned from the info.  I assume as I get into mid-majors, lower D1 and beyond the rosters will be less freshman heavy.  At least at the schools on the list, most players are gone before their junior year and almost all gone before senior year.

Last edited by 22and25
TPM posted:

Question. How many seniors do programs really have? I was looking over some programs here in Florida, one program only had 30 players on roster. And some out of state. I don't think seniors will be the issue.

Our program has eight seniors, but you also have to think about the juniors who might’ve gone in the draft in rounds 6 through 20 that will stay another year.

baseballhs posted:
TPM posted:

Question. How many seniors do programs really have? I was looking over some programs here in Florida, one program only had 30 players on roster. And some out of state. I don't think seniors will be the issue.

Our program has eight seniors, but you also have to think about the juniors who might’ve gone in the draft in rounds 6 through 20 that will stay another year.

Do you or anyone believe that R Sr's should have an opportunity to play one more year?  I am just asking because these are points that are going to be brought up.

TPM posted:

I’m in agreement. On the pitcher side of the roster, Son’s school has two seniors. For Jr’s, there are a couple of high impact/high ceiling guys, they may go in top 5 rounds of draft. Biggest impact is incoming 2020 class. It’s going to have 3-4 more pitchers than I was guessing. And that class is almost all pitching. 

Son’s plan is to lean into it. 

Go44dad posted:
TPM posted:

I’m in agreement. On the pitcher side of the roster, Son’s school has two seniors. For Jr’s, there are a couple of high impact/high ceiling guys, they may go in top 5 rounds of draft. Biggest impact is incoming 2020 class. It’s going to have 3-4 more pitchers than I was guessing. And that class is almost all pitching. 

Good luck with that! 

ABSORBER posted:
fenwaysouth posted:
Good Knight posted:

What are you thought?

Good Knight,

Wake Forest's grad transfer from Cornell (red-shirt freshman year) had quite a 2020 (short) season! He led the team offensively. I'm sure he'll be on the roster for them next year which will work out quite nicely for him (earning his degree).

USC's top hitter (BA) and leader in saves this year was a grad student from Yale who had a year of eligibility left due to an early season ending injury his senior year.

Curious as to what will happen with rosters as far as legality goes. Seniors can be brought back on no money so they don't really pose a huge issue. But juniors, draft eligible sophs, and high schoolers will not be signing contracts at the rate they were expected to. 

In other words a school maybe have 17.1 scholarships to manage before August hits. There is no 11.7 limit, but who is paying for all these extra guys?

Current rostered players are not going to give up their scholarships or leave their programs to make room for incoming freshmen. I would suspect that 2020s would suffer. But even then, with another year of talent in the system + all signees from round 6+ coming back there really aren't going to be a ton of great options as far as looking for another school. Why give up my 40% scholarship to a P5 to go fight it out at a highly ranked juco with their returning players, their 3rd year guys coming back, their commits, and now more D1 decommits. Roster sizes are still going to be an issue in 2 years when it's time to find a 4 yr school. 

I know if I were a guy with a future in the program and received a call from my coach about money being an issue or roster size being an issue I would tell him I'm not transferring and giving up my $ unless I was guaranteed another school in a good situation. The money is still an issue and even if you were to say you're staying as a regular student they would have to find somebody else with money to transfer out. 

baseballhs posted:

Guys don’t “give up” their spots, the coach tells them their spot is gone.  Sophomores and juniors are going to be having to earn their spots in these huge numbers too.  Freshmen are at a disadvantage but the guys there better not get complacent.

There are 300 D1 programs and all D1 baseball is not the same. In fact there is a big difference between the level of talent in the top 50 programs and the bottom 100.  There may be more parity in the top 100 programs than ever but the difference in culture between the top 50 and the bottom 100 is huge. In the top 50 nobody has it made. There is competition every day at every position. It is dog eat dog and there is nobody on the roster that can’t play. Coaches at the top programs are making a million $ a year and they are brutal in their decision making. They are running a business and they treat it as such. The stakes are higher in the best baseball conferences. 

baseballhs posted:

Guys don’t “give up” their spots, the coach tells them their spot is gone.  Sophomores and juniors are going to be having to earn their spots in these huge numbers too.  Freshmen are at a disadvantage but the guys there better not get complacent.

I understand what you're saying, but the spot isn't gone. They're telling you to leave and you're agreeing. If you have a guaranteed scholarship and they tell you to leave - they have the issue when you choose not to. 

My 2019 had an offer from a school. Our travel coach warned us and put us in contact with the parents of an older kid in our program who was at the school. He was on a pretty big scholarship as a P at the P5. After a rocky freshman year the coach sat him down and gave him the you're never going to see playing time conversation. They didn't want him gone, they were just trying to free up money for another guy. It had nothing to do with talent and everything to do with his scholarship taking up a lot of money. He basically called their bluff and told them that school was too cheap to pass up and thanked them but he was willing to compete in fall for playing time. Another kid was cut two days later instead.  He eventually became the Saturday starter as a senior before signing on the cheap as a late round pick recently. 

There is a difference between we don't need you and we can't afford your scholarship. Now if you throw 3 innings your freshman year and the majority of the staff is back. Bad news. But if you throw 15 and aren't mopping up mid week beatdowns, you're in for a reason. Same goes for position players. 4 appearances with 0 starts and 6 abs. Tough to show you're valuable. But 30 ABs with spot starts, pinch hitting in RBI spots, and a graduating senior in front of you. Sounds like you'll be of use. 

Given the current circumstances I'm not entirely sure if walking away from your current school, scholarship, credits, and social life is worth walking on at another program that will also be crowded. If you're getting cut, pro ball likely isn't in the cards, especially now. JMO but this is also why it is important to choose a school you would be happy at without baseball, that is a different discussion. 

The obvious choice would be that  if you don't have ATHLETIC money at a school that is overcommitted, look at the options before the season starts.  Athletic money means you are part of the 11.7, 27, and 35.  Therefore you are a counter and do have a spot on the team.  If you are a walk-on, preferred walk-on, or have academic money, and playing is important, I would think about where I am headed. 

adbono posted:
Go44dad posted:
TPM posted:

Good luck with that! 

We appreciate it!

Next year's spectrum runs from pitching in the CWS to the coach telling you will never see the field.  Why drop your rifle and run in April just because you hear a couple musket shots from over the hill?

Go44dad posted:
adbono posted:
Go44dad posted:
TPM posted:

Good luck with that! 

We appreciate it!

Next year's spectrum runs from pitching in the CWS to the coach telling you will never see the field.  Why drop your rifle and run in April just because you hear a couple musket shots from over the hill?

Nothing wrong with being confident. Just need to understand that the probabilities have changed considerably 

adbono posted:
Go44dad posted:
adbono posted:
Go44dad posted:
TPM posted:

Good luck with that! 

We appreciate it!

Nothing wrong with being confident. Just need to understand that the probabilities have changed considerably 

I understand the probabilities have changed.  Son understands the probabilities have changed. 

But I don't think you get my posts.  Surely I could express myself better.

It's not a failure for my son to strive for his goals and not reach them. After all, it's just baseball.

Maybe I have misunderstood your posts.  My takeaway is you are telling all of the 2020 recruiting class to lower their goals because it will be too tough for them.

adbono posted:

I would never tell anyone to lower their goals. I am suggesting that the 2020 class get more realistic. MOST HS seniors are not ready to compete with 22 year old men under normal circumstances. Add another recruiting class to the mix and situation got WAY tougher - and not just for the next year! 

There is more than one way to reach your goal. Based on what has happened I’m suggesting that (for most) it would benefit them to consider a different route. 

adbono posted:

I would never tell anyone to lower their goals. I am suggesting that the 2020 class get more realistic. MOST HS seniors are not ready to compete with 22 year old men under normal circumstances. Add another recruiting class to the mix and situation got WAY tougher - and not just for the next year! 

No doubt it got tougher.  We know the count/kids/current players. Worst case he transfers to a JUCO in 2021.  And that's not a bad outcome.

Or who knows, maybe a professor lights a passionate flame for the liberal arts and it leads to a lifetime of critical thinking and real scholarship.  (Bwahahahaha!)

Go44dad posted:
adbono posted:

No doubt it got tougher.  We know the count/kids/current players. Worst case he transfers to a JUCO in 2021.  And that's not a bad outcome.

Or who knows, maybe a professor lights a passionate flame for the liberal arts and it leads to a lifetime of critical thinking and real scholarship.  (Bwahahahaha!)

Sending you a PM 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.