Skip to main content

My 1B/3B/RHP 2019 is headed to first "real" unofficial visit (not counting a couple of campus discussions with coaches) in a couple of weeks with a high academic D1.  Meeting with HC, RC and invited to watch practice.  I've searched this topic, and there are some great questions to ask and advice for parents on how to stay in the background but get those key questions addressed.  I'd like to raise the topic again to see if anyone who has been through it recently has additional perspective for either my husband and I or my son.  Lessons learned?  Do's and Don'ts?  What did you wish you knew on visit 1 that would have been good to know in future visits with others?

Thanks in advance - as always - for your wisdom.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Midwest Mom,

My best advice is to treat this like a 2nd or 3rd date.  Clearly they are interested and clearly your son is interested.  It is time to really focus in on the relationship, and expectations.   So, I think the best way to understand all of this to put a timeline on it.  So, my son would ask the coach about the remaining recruiting timeline,  expectations and requirements.  You mentioned D1 high academic so I would make sure your son has all the boxes checked or ask what remains to be done to receive an offer...in other words where is he on their recruiting list.   Then he'd move into the possible daily routine when he arrives at school for Fall practices, winter session, Spring season and possibly summer college baseball.   It is incredible how scheduled your son is going to become so why not ask the question from that perspective.  My son was an engineering major so we knew there were going to be time challenges.   You may want to ask the question from your son's prospective major.

I think what you'll find is the daily routines are different from one program to another and they vary by position players and pitchers.   He absolutely needs to understand this typical daily routine.  In addition, during the un-OV he would request to spend some time with his future position coach and the strength and conditioning coach.   They are going to have philosophies about how to do things, when to do them and frequency.   Your son is going to be spending a lot of time with these people.   Again, he needs to know how they do things in advance and feel comfortable with it.

Dress appropriately.   Yes khakis and polo or something similar.  My son grew up in the South, so he is very familiar and comfortable with "yes, sir" , "no, sir".   The D1 high academic teams that he did un-OVs with in the north got a kick out of that and they told him when he joined their team later.   Again, do & say what is comfortable and  respectful.   It is a start in his profession career of baseball or something else.   Treat it that way.

As always, JMO.  Good luck!

Last edited by fenwaysouth

I would pay close attention to what they say and how the coaches act toward your son.  But, most importantly, I would advise to go into this "eyes wide open".   You never know where your son is currently or ultimately will be on this school's "board" or overall spectrum of recruits.  It literally could be anywhere from (a) he is their top priority at his position and they just want to see him one or two more times and make sure he has the academic record they need to (b) he could be just one of 40 or 50 recruits they have invited for a UOV THIS MONTH, and he may not even be top 5 at his position on their board.  You just don't know, but you should feel free to ask for sure:  "Where am I on your board and what is your typical recruiting timeline for my position/skills?".  My son's first UOV was also with a high academic D1, and his travel coach told him they might even offer then/there.  Well, the visit went fine, but we realized through the grapevine how many UOVs they have (does not take long before you hear around the travel circles that "XYY School" is "all over my son") and, while they stayed in close contact, they dragged their feet and never did offer. I like Fenway's analogy:  think of it as a 2nd date.  Nothing more, nothing less.  And never forget throughout the process:  if a school really wants your son, you will know and, if you aren't sure, then the answer is "no" or "not yet".

Last edited by BucsFan

Thanks, Fenway, for the insight!

This thread is well-timed for us as well, as 2020 son has first  unofficial visit in a couple of weeks. In his case, his new organization connected him and his teammate/friend with asst coach, who talked to each and then invited them to campus. I'm not sure they've really seen him play beyond any video our "recruiting coordinator" sent them, so I'm pretty sure "offer" will not be mentioned anywhere in the conversation, but son is excited nonetheless and should be very educational for him (and me).  

Don't forget the academics. We did probably 15 or so UVs and on every one (at least the first trip) we also did the typical admissions visit, along with a tour and meeting with faculty in my son's preferred majors. He usually sat in on a class. He needed to decide if the school was a right fit, not just if baseball was.

If you are going to visit a high academic and your son has not taken the SAT/ACT, they may not offer on the visit or they tell you they are giving you a "soft" offer contingent on his taking the test and getting a score with which they can work with the admissions department. My son is in that boat at two schools.

Based on our experience thus far, if you are going to a power 5,  the only way you can be assured you are getting an offer is 1)You are confident the head coach has seen you play; and, 2) there is a planned meeting with the head coach on the itinerary you receive when you arrive. We know a player who has gone on two UOVs to a power 5 (his #1) and the head coach was a no-show both times.  While he has offers elsewhere, he still has not received an offer from that school. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.