Skip to main content

Strasburg and the Nationals are clowns, Harper is a punk...I understand folks around the DC area should cheer for them but after putside of Metro DC they should be universally loathed. The curse of the goat and Babe Ruth should cast against the franchise for generations if not centuries to come!

Since the day 4 or 5 years ago when they shut down Strasburg in early September...they had the team to beat and they thought it would be easy for years to come. They pissed off the baseball gods and insulted all who care about the game, Crash Davis would have retired willingly had he been a part of that fiasco.

Never assume winning is easy and never assume you will be back next year - ask Dan Marino!!!

I honestly have no respect for the franchise - the Yankees I can hate for so many reasons but also command respect....the Nationals aren't worthy of the time spent typing here...which was not very much!  

old_school posted:

Strasburg and the Nationals are clowns, Harper is a punk...I understand folks around the DC area should cheer for them but after putside of Metro DC they should be universally loathed. The curse of the goat and Babe Ruth should cast against the franchise for generations if not centuries to come!

Since the day 4 or 5 years ago when they shut down Strasburg in early September...they had the team to beat and they thought it would be easy for years to come. They pissed off the baseball gods and insulted all who care about the game, Crash Davis would have retired willingly had he been a part of that fiasco.

Never assume winning is easy and never assume you will be back next year - ask Dan Marino!!!

I honestly have no respect for the franchise - the Yankees I can hate for so many reasons but also command respect....the Nationals aren't worthy of the time spent typing here...which was not very much!  

Bryant struck out 4 X last night. Is he a punk? Strasburg made Arrieta look like he should be playing for the JV team last night. Is he a clown now? Your comments are idiotic.

Having watched my son play in a number of championship games I really appreciated Francona's quote:

“Nobody wanted the season to be over,” said Francona. “It doesn’t wind down. It comes to a crashing halt. And nobody, myself included, was ready for it to be over.”

Although I have lots of friends in Houston, I would love a Dodger - Yankee  WS, but of course there is lots of baseball left to be played. These were the best 8 teams in the playoffs in quite a few years and I have enjoyed watching many of the games.  

Smitty28 posted:

What the heck was Sanchez doing back there?  He drops a 2-out 3rd strike fastball and puts the ball in his pocket?  Kind of an odd no-call by the umpire on that one.

Jeff did the punch-out (which was correct) and then did nothing (which was also correct) because the batter-runner is not out at that point. However, because once a reasonable amount of time passes, the batter-runner is out, Jeff should have declared him out after that period.

BOF posted:

Although I have lots of friends in Houston, I would love a Dodger - Yankee  WS, but of course there is lots of baseball left to be played. These were the best 8 teams in the playoffs in quite a few years and I have enjoyed watching many of the games.  

Holding my tongue has become painful at the thought of a Dodger/Yankee WS

Image result for holding tongue is painful

Steve A. posted:
old_school posted:

Bryant struck out 4 X last night. Is he a punk? Strasburg made Arrieta look like he should be playing for the JV team last night. Is he a clown now? Your comments are idiotic.

I resent those remarks as well, why can't one topic remain positive with him.

The thing that bothers me is the story that he was ill. Strasburg is a stick to the script pitcher, hopefully this will show him that today there might not beven a tomorrow.

brball posted:
TPM posted:
brball posted:

Nats and Taylor look like a team on a mission!

So do the Cubs. Nats unravelling.

You right. Not a Nats fan, but watching with my son that is... don’t know where I went wrong! 

It wasn't you who went wrong!  

It's really anyone's game at this point.

3and2Fastball posted:

Can Dusty Baker survive this postseason without being fired?  The Nats still have yet to win a postseason series!

I think next year is their last chance anyway. They had a great run but harper is going to be a FA after 2018   and scherzer, murphy and zimmerman are not getting younger.

I think their front office makes one big splash next year and after that probably the team will be blown up or at least should be to avoid a fate like the phillies.

Astros vs yankees series is great, two great offenses albeit slightly different style of hitting (more contact for astros vs swing for the fence yankees)

3and2Fastball posted:

Can Dusty Baker survive this postseason without being fired?  The Nats still have yet to win a postseason series!

I think so.  Big time players' manager, it would be pretty upsetting to the players to lose him.  I don't know about this series (I didn't watch much of it), but Dusty historically makes tactical decisions that don't work out so well in the playoffs.  They may be related to his being loyal to his players...at times.

Also, as things start going bad, his demeanor (i.e. anxiety, frustration) in the dugout is very apparent, as opposed to Madden who seems cool as a cucumber no matter what.

Steve A. posted:
old_school posted:

the curse continues, you can tell your grandkids 40 years from now when they don't understand why the Nationals can't ever win the big game it all started 2012 when they thought it was easy....Great night last night the Nats choke and Eagles win huge game on the road! Can't wait for the weekend!

old_school posted:

Oh and Harper being punk and Bryant not being has absolutely nothing to do with on field performance.

Please expound on your sage comments. We are all eagerly awaiting to hear the details on why Harper is a "punk" & Strasburg is a "clown."

PS: Regarding your" curse" comments etc. What are we in freakin HS again? Your team has a curse & let me call players names cuz it makes me feel smart........You are about as "old school" as the Eagles "kneel in" protest.

3and2Fastball posted:

That game was painful to watch. I felt like I was watching a 10U All Star Game. I fault Dusty for 2 things. #1: Gio had no business going out for the 3rd inning. He had demonstrated that he had no command. Got thru the second only because it was 7,8 & pitcher. Zimmerman has no business at cleanup. Do you want Murphy up or Zim with multiple runners on? Not close.

Also. Weiters is awful behind the plate. Can we just admit that? Scherzer has 2 outs, 0-2 to Contreras after 2 fastballs. Contreras is Dead Red hitter. Scherzer's best pitch is his slider & Weiters puts down fastball away?? I'm yelling at the TV Noooooooooo! It was literally the only pitch he could hit. Weiters can't block, deliberate actions, pushes low strikes out of the zone. Not good. The move was go to Lobaton after you had a 4-1 lead & double switch to get Gio out.

Anyone playing "baseball bingo" last night had to be pretty excited. Can't remember ever seeing  batters safely reach first base 6 different ways in one game--let alone one inning. Hit, walk, error, CI, dropped-3rd, HBP...at that point, I was kind of hoping for an obstruction call just to round it all out...

Entertaining game...less-so for Nats fans, but still.

MidAtlanticDad posted:
3and2Fastball posted:

Davey Johnson in 2012.
Matt Williams in 2014.
Dusty in 2017.

I don't believe in curses, but despite all the talent, something isn't right with that team.

If Maddon Manages the Cubs last night, they win. If Maddon Manages the Nats last night, the Nats win. The margin is extremely thin. Maddon would not run Gio out for inning 3. Maddon would not have Weiters back there with a 3 run lead. Maddon would not have Werth in LF. Maddon would DEFINITELY not have Zimmerman hitting behind Harper. The players are there, to win. You have the bullets to get it done.

Dusty is all about loyalty & continuity & these are my guys etc. It's not about "feelings" & who got you there when you are in game 5.

Additionally, Davey Lopes is asleep at the wheel as a First Base Coach. I have seen it all year. When Lobaton gets to first base in the 8th, you have a little review. It goes like this: "Jose, Remember, you are a slow, catcher. We can't make an out on the bases here. Contreras has an absolute hose back there & leads the planet in back picks. Short secondary lead."

justbaseball posted:
3and2Fastball posted:

I think so.  Big time players' manager, it would be pretty upsetting to the players to lose him.  I don't know about this series (I didn't watch much of it), but Dusty historically makes tactical decisions that don't work out so well in the playoffs.  They may be related to his being loyal to his players...at times.

Also, as things start going bad, his demeanor (i.e. anxiety, frustration) in the dugout is very apparent, as opposed to Madden who seems cool as a cucumber no matter what.

I agree. Madden is so chill. That makes a big difference. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.