Skip to main content

Hi all, I'm new to the forum.  I'm just reaching out to the community if anyone currently or had similar experiences.  My son is a HS freshman and plays multi sports.  We let him play the sports he likes, but his always been passionate with track field and baseball since middle school.  Just a little background, he is well rounded kid , on top of his academics, and plays HS orchestra. His track and field events are 200, 400, LJ, TJ and HJ and made district meets. If it goes well he hopes to get to Area or Regional, and that finish around April.  He's also been playing baseball since 6yrs old and plays high level select.  He will be playing summer league baseball which starts first week of May. His dreams is to play in the big league someday. If it doesn't work out, he will fall back to other areas.   Anybody has something similar experience? And how did you and your kid work it through? Any conflicts with the HS coaches baseball vs track and did your kid had to choose one during HS years?  How about colleges, do you have to choose one? I appreciate any information or feedback.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If you search you will find threads on playing multiple sports. My son played varsity soccer and baseball. He thought he was going to play varsity basketball after being the starting point guard on the freshman team. The varsity coach cut him from the program for never making “optional” workouts or playing summer basketball. The coach said he didn’t have enough time to put the proper focus on a third sport. In the summer he played travel baseball and attended a high end goalie day camp. In the fall he played soccer and fall baseball. Having the winter free to physically train and work on his swing had everything to do with his quick escalation as a baseball player and college prospect. 

In some states a high school athlete is not allowed to play a second season’s sport until the first one ends. One of my travel players didn’t make varsity sophomore year as his basketball team made a run to the championship game. By the time he was done with basketball the baseball season (games) was starting. 

Playing a college sport is a year round job. Academics is a full time job during the academic year. Playing two college sports is next to impossible except for very elite athletes or D3’s that don’t have fall ball. But even those programs typically have captain’s practices in the fall.

Last edited by RJM
MrDoIT posted:

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. ... His dreams is to play in the big league someday. If it doesn't work out, he will fall back to other areas.   Anybody has something similar experience? And how did you and your kid work it through? Any conflicts with the HS coaches baseball vs track and did your kid had to choose one during HS years?  How about colleges, do you have to choose one? I appreciate any information or feedback.

Welcome to the forum.  Yes, I would say most regulars here have had similar experience. 

Regarding multiple sports in HS, it is great to let them play the sports that they enjoy.  Whether multiple sports is realistic or not and for how long depends on the talent of the student athlete, the size, strength and depth of the HS program and whether the sports cross over at the same time of year.  HS sports usually demand full commitment at least to one sport at a time.  Excelling in HS sports usually requires significant time and effort not just during but also outside of the HS season.  A big challenge with track and baseball in most parts of the country is that they are both spring sports.  Some parts of the country, i believe, also have a winter indoor track season.  

At quick glance, it appears that Texas has most key HS track meets during the traditional Spring outdoor season, which is also, of course, baseball season.  There are some rare exceptions regarding track, but most teams/coaches of any HS sport will require an athlete to be in attendance at practices every day and be as committed as their teammates.  Prioritization and difficult choices are likely coming soon.  Sometimes, those choices are made for you, for example, when a player is cut.  Sometimes, multiple sports can be pursued in other ways.  Depending on which your son ultimately prioritizes, he could still pursue the other on a more recreational basis (all-comers meets, legion/babe ruth baseball, etc.)

Also, now that your son is HS age, he will have to start determining how real his dream is to play "in the big league".  He will need to identify the talent, hard work and commitment that comes along with that... same goes for college.  And, first things first, is he good enough to be a strong contributor at his HS program?  This site is a great resource for him (and you) to navigate his way through the process.  Many here have already walked before him on the same path in juggling multiple sports and making it to the next level, and the next...

Last edited by cabbagedad

My son also plays multiple sports. He is a junior this year. Just this year he dropped basketball from his list of soccer and baseball. He has always played 3 sports. We found that basketball was the least favorite if he had to drop one and he has focused much of his winter season working on increasing his strength and focusing on pitching. 

It all depends on which one he sees himself at when it comes time to think about playing at a higher level. I have watched my son grow in both soccer and baseball. Baseball is his passion though. You shouldn't have to decide between sports if he is having fun and enjoying them all. But there will probably come a time where you start to see those kids who focus on one sport year round start to excel a little bit more. At least  that was in our case.

Welcome.

Good news: He is doing sports that require explosive development which translates well to baseball.

Bad news: They are doing the same time of the year, and as far as my understanding on track it requires most of a full day to hang out for your heats. 

If he has national level skills in track he could keep up track and play summer ball to keep his baseball skills up in case he is one of the rare kids who could do both in college, or more likely he will probably have to chose one or the other. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.