Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Running, running and more running......

Lifting, lifting and more lifting.....

Drills, drills and more drills......

Very intense, physical, mental offseason program at our school.....

And the end result come Spring.............

Team that is bigger, faster and stronger.......and hopefully that equates into wins on the fields.

*I could never, ever survive it and I sometimes wonder if our football players could... Big Grin
Last edited by oldbat-never
Drills - Defense

Pitching - Bullpens once a week, PFP.
Defense - Box drills (barehanded), paddle drills, fungo progression
Outfield - Line drill, hit cut off man (using soft toss nets), angles, fungo progression
Team - Bunt coverages, 1st/3rd Defense, Daily Dozen (OF relay system), Fly ball communication, Circus Drill (backing each other up),

Hitting - Drills
Tee, back toss, short toss (from in front)
Bunting - Sacrifice, push, squeeze (using pitching machines)

BP - Live on field, live in cages (we have 4), Iron Mike in 1 cage, "Home Plate" computerized Machine in another (this machine allows you to program different pitches randomly along with their locations.

BP (on the field)- Each hitter gets 2 rounds of 6 swings. 1st round every ball is hit to opposite field. 2nd round is FB/CB randomly.

Running
We run more sprints than anything else. Pitchers will run long distance the day of their bullpen and day after. Bullpens will be scheduled based on when our fall ball team plays and what their weekend select schedule is...communication is the key here. Bullpens are not more than 30 pitches.

Weightlifting
We won't "hit" the weights until October. Most of the kids lift on their own. Lower body and abdominal strength and explosion is stressed. Upper body goals are to get stronger, not necessarily bigger(chest, back, shoulders, bicep, tricep). Keeping flexibility is the key!

Throwing - Long toss, M, W, F. Also depends on Bullpen schedule and fall ball schedules.
Last edited by funneldrill
Appears we are all OK with UIL Big Grin:

From the UIL site:

~ OFF-SEASON ~
(1) Team Practice. School teams shall be prohibited from practicing team skills before or after school except during the
specified practice dates and during the one allowable period during the school day.

(5) Off-Season Period Limits. Off-season activities are limited to one regular classroom period (max. 60 minutes) per
day within which all suiting out, related activity, and redressing must occur. (See Side by Side Manual for block
schedules, etc.)
(6) Power and/or Weight Lifting: Off-season athletes whose schools have an athletic period during the school day
may not participate on power lifting teams unless weight training is provided for off-season athletes during the
in-school-day athletic period.
I'm going out on a limb here to say that Old-Bat's son will have the most intense off-season of them all! No prima donnas to contend with and a coach who cares less about any popularity contests should make this group of boys a real team. By spring, tried & true baseball players will take the field ....AND WIN IT ALL!! (my eyes may have been crossed when I typed that last line) ..... Good luck to all and enjoy the years of good ol' HS baseball.
Melynda,

You know him and the team well..... not sure if intense is a strong enough word for what will go on this Fall...........

At last count there were 43 in offseason and due to a scheduling glitch he might be doing this class solo which might change some of the dynamics......... Big program again this year esp. once football players and Freshman come on board.

For all of us Spring will be the result of what happens in the Fall.................
quote:
Originally posted by theygrowupfast:
Is all this legal in the off-season! Wink

We don't do this all everyday. All we have is 50 minutes so we will set up and accomplish one of these things.

For instance, after we stretch and throw, we will have about 30-35 minutes. 15 minutes on individual defensive drills, 15 minutes on team stuff...bunt coverages, relay system, etc. Next day we would have a hitting day, so on.

Basically, I take a regular season practice and break it up over a 2-3 day period. It is better than "turning my team over to the strength and conditioning coach!"
Last edited by funneldrill
quote:
Originally posted by reggie-3-77:
FD

Do you encourage your pitchers to take 30 to 60 days off each fall to let their arms recover? Dr. Conway strongly encouraged 2 pitchers from our Select team to stop throwing completely for 60 days, and then start up in the October timeframe to get ready for next season. Your thoughts!!

How can you argue with one of the most famous surgeons? I would take what he says as gospel.
quote:
Originally posted by John G.:
OP.. Why would you take advice (second hand at least)??? Not knowing the circumstances of the individual players, and thier arm conditions/ injuries,ect...
I think you need to ask yourself a few things before you promote what effectively is heresay. IMO...

What on earth are you talking about? I just said that if a surgeon the likes of Dr. Conway told me something, I would take it to the bank.
quote:
Posted August 16, 2006 02:39 PM
OP.. Why would you take advice (second hand at least)??? Not knowing the circumstances of the individual players, and thier arm conditions/ injuries,ect...
I think you need to ask yourself a few things before you promote what effectively is heresay. IMO...

The advice had nothing to do with an arm injury. His advice was all high school pitchers should take 30 to 60 days off from throwing every year. He also said they should continue to work with pitching specific strenthening exercises.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.