Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have a baseball player and a wrestler. The baseball player is at college and still playing. The wrestler is still in HS and working on his senior year.
Last year my wife and I was watching my youngest wrestle against a rival school. A parent from the other team sought us out and was asking a lot of questions about older sons experience at college. What was it like competing in the sport and taking classes? How to get the best offer? How did he like the school? I thought I was getting ready to burst this guys bubble, OWU does not have a wrestling team. Just then a very big man dressed all in OWU gear walks up and introduces himself. Turns out it was one of OWU's football coaches comming to watch the other guys kid wrestle. They were recruiting him for football and wanted to see how he preformed on the mat. How was his balance? How quick were his feet? These were things that are easier to see up close and personal, on the mat, than from the stands on the football field or on tape.
The young man ended up going to OWU. Partly based on how he preformed on the mat.
I think many football players would benefit from wrestling.
Last edited by BishopLeftiesDad

Makes lots of sense that football players are involved in other sports, as HS football has a very short season.  In our HS many of them were involved in track and field. I think its the same in college too? 

Baseball is technically a year round sport, when you arent playing HS ball you are playing summer travel ball, fall ball and in many countries winter ball. But that should not stop an athletic individual from not participating in other sports.

My 2015 has always been tall for his age.  In addition to baseball, we tried s*ccer, he hated it. Tried swimming, did not care for it. Same for basketball and football. Was never fast so track was out of the question. Ran when he needs to for baseball and doesn't really mind it.  He does like watersports and likes to hunt and target shoot, especially at 500'+ yards but don't know if that is really a sport or not. Was really involved in YHEC for 2-3 years.

Hard to just make someone play a sport that they don't like. So when you hear that someone just plays one sport, it doesn't necessarily mean that they didn't try other sports.

Last edited by RedFishFool
Originally Posted by RedFishFool:

My 2015 has always been tall for his age.  In addition to baseball, we tried s*ccer, he hated it. Tried swimming, did not care for it. Same for basketball and football. Was never fast so track was out of the question. Ran when he needs to for baseball and doesn't really mind it.  He does like watersports and likes to hunt and target shoot, especially at 500'+ yards but don't know if that is really a sport or not. Was really involved in YHEC for 2-3 years.

Hard to just make someone play a sport that they don't like. So when you hear that someone just plays one sport, it doesn't necessarily mean that they didn't try other sports.

I think that a lot of it has to do with being involved. I dont think that you have to be on a team to show your love for anything. 

Funny about being the track thing, the day son realized he would most likely be a pitcher only was the day he realized he lost his speed in middle school!  Can you say two left feet!

Too bad the lefty thing wasn't in the hand!

The college level athlete is always going to be the best athlete/s in their high school and the "offseason" HS coaches will make accomodations/ask them to play their sport.  Hence they are multisport athletes in HS due to the demand for their talent.  i.e. at my son's hs the point guard was an NFL running back, the defensive end, played low post and played catcher in the minor leagues, the shooting guard played professionally in Europe and played CB, and leftfield in HS.  I might add these three players also played offense and defense on the football team because they were the best athletes.......

There was no way they were going through HS playing only one sport with their talent.  The kids that specialized generally had to do so to be competitive with the athletic kids.

Pitchers excepted

Last edited by CollegeParentNoMore
Originally Posted by TPM:

Makes lots of sense that football players are involved in other sports, as HS football has a very short season.  In our HS many of them were involved in track and field. I think its the same in college too? 

Baseball is technically a year round sport, when you arent playing HS ball you are playing summer travel ball, fall ball and in many countries winter ball. But that should not stop an athletic individual from not participating in other sports.

Most sports these days are year round.  Soccer heads indoors in the winter.  Basketball really heats up during summer AAU season.  Even football has spring practice in several states and then a "7 on 7" schedule during the summer.  The only difference is there aren't "football clubs," yet. 

I am all for HS kids to play multiple sports.  But an attempt should be made to coordinate the activity - whether in season or off season.  For example, in my area HS baseball is about 30 days away.  But a kid who plays a winter sport is prohibited from engaging in school sponsored long toss.  To me this is a health/safety issue.  it is hard to do on your own up north without access to a large field house.   

Just because someone doesn't play multiple sports doesn't mean that they aren't athletic or don't do activities other than baseball. My son played baseball only, on a team. He played football one year in 7th grade, was the QB, safety, long snapper and special teams. He played flag football a couple times, but just didn't like being committed to other sports. In his spare time, with his friends, he did every imaginable sport you could think of and some that they just made up. He was pretty much one of the most athletic kids at his school. He just didn't want to play other organized sports. Baseball was his "thing".

Has anyone ever looked at this systematically? Just by way of example, the Louisville Slugger preseason All-American teams were just announced: http://baseballnews.com/2015-h...eason-all-americans/

Just out of curiosity, I looked up the California first-team kids in MaxPreps:

Pitchers:

Kolby Allard (baseball-only)

Kye Molnar (also played basketball)

Joe Demers (also played basketball)

Chris Brown (baseball only)

Peter Lambert (realistically, baseball-only; played one-year of football as a freshman)

Noah Davis (baseball-only)

Justin Hooper (baseball-only)

Non-pitchers:

Nick Madrigal (baseball-only)

Noah Prewett (baseball-only)

Nico Hoerner (baseball-only)

Christ Betts (baseball-only)

So, 9 of the 11 first-team All-Americans have played baseball only in high school (counting Lambert as baseball-only, because he played football only as a freshman).

I think it's fantastic when kids play more than one sport -- Giancarlo Stanton was all-CIF in football, basketball, and baseball -- but I'm genuinely curious about the actual facts. I would guess that the Stantons of the world are the exception, and most top baseball kids are focused on a single sport. And probably the top basketball kids are solely focused on basketball. Football, which for most positions doesn't require the fine motor skills of basketball or baseball, may be an exception -- it may be that lots of them play another sport.

My 2016 also starts on basketball team at his high school. My take is that if nothing else, focusing on another sport during the "off season", if there really is one anymore, at least gives him the 2-3 months per year with no overhead throwing - he is also a pitcher. One of his baseball coaches told me he would never advise a kid he needs to just focus on one sport, but it is obvious that he won't be playing basketball in college (which I agree with but don't care). But, he said while he knows that him not throwing as many pens now does "hurt" him in the short term of getting ready for the season rapidly approaching, he also knows that this is best for him long term - which is what I am most interested in! The key is that it does take both understanding from both coaches and a huge commitment on the player's part to keep grades up while juggling time between sports. There are some days he leaves the house at 6:00 AM and we don't see him again until 7:00 or 8:00 that night. I am all for multiple sports!

2019Dad,

A couple of obervations:

Is the football comparison a physical one or a mental one. I happen to believe that HS football generates a mental toughness, discipline and "teamwork" which very much helps in the transition to being a college baseball player only. 

With respect to the MaxPreps players, I would have to believe they are extremely good and talented. However, trying to reach any conclusions projecting out 3-4 years into college/Milb when a multi-sport HS athlete will, for the first time, focus on baseball only is a mistake.  My view is any gap can be narrowed very quickly by a very athletic, multi-sport HS player.  When everyone gets to a somewhat equal basis in college and on a college baseball field, the mental toughness of football can be far more helpful than any physical aspects in transitioning to the  mental challenges of college/Milb baseball.

At the levels beyond HS, every player, whether they were a multi-sport in HS or a MaxPreps top baseball guy MUST be far better than they are at this point.

Part of that being better is physical.  A big part especially in college is mental.

Last edited by infielddad
Originally Posted by infielddad:

When everyone gets to a somewhat equal basis in college and on a college baseball field, the mental toughness of football can be far more helpful than any physical aspects in transitioning to the  mental challenges of college/Milb baseball.

You may be right. My larger point is: has anyone ever looked at this systematically, beyond anecdotes about this kid or that? My guess is -- and it's only a guess -- that a far higher percentage of top-level baseball players focus solely on baseball in high school than either (1) the percentage who play multiple sports, or (2) the general assumptions about multi-sport athletes.

My quick glance at the first-team high-school All-Americans from California is not a large enough sample size to draw any conclusions. But I think it points in the correct direction.

As for the minors and majors, I really don't know. I mean, are all the Dominican and other LatAm kids playing other sports during their teen years? They sure as heck aren't playing football. What percentage of major leaguers played another sport in high school? I don't know the answer, but I know there are plenty of anecdotes on both sides (e.g., Giancarlo Stanton also played football and basketball in high school; Jason Heyward focused 100% on baseball from age 12 on, etc., etc.). And I think it would be interesting to know the answer. 

Originally Posted by CollegeParentNoMore:

The college level athlete is always going to be the best athlete/s in their high school and the "offseason" HS coaches will make accomodations/ask them to play their sport.  Hence they are multisport athletes in HS due to the demand for their talent.  i.e. at my son's hs the point guard was an NFL running back, the defensive end, played low post and played catcher in the minor leagues, the shooting guard played professionally in Europe and played CB, and leftfield in HS.  I might add these three players also played offense and defense on the football team because they were the best athletes.......

There was no way they were going through HS playing only one sport with their talent.  The kids that specialized generally had to do so to be competitive with the athletic kids.

Pitchers excepted

I have to disagree.   My son made varsity baseball as a freshman.   He was also offered a spot on the JV basketball team and the varsity football team.  He turned down both basketball and football so he could concentrate on baseball.   he did not have to do that to be competitive.  He did it to be the best he could be.  

What percentage of Latin/DR kids who are playing baseball, only, ever end up in a Milb Camp, off the island?

Any of us have a bias, in all likelihood.  To think that  predictive value comes from being  a top HS player on MaxPreps  is curious.  If they are drafted in the first 2-3 rounds of the MLB draft, that is far more predictive and helpful because MLB is actually in the business of projecting, and even they are not anywhere close to reliable modeling.

The changes which occur in young men between ages 18-21 is pretty incredible.  Standing in a Spring Training facility will tell any baseball person how different and how much better a player needs to be at every level.  There is a major skill to a Milb/MLB executive looking at those guys and projecting and we see how variable that is from MLB team to MLB team..  Not sure MaxPreps or something like the Louisville Slugger pre-season projections are there for me, though.

Originally Posted by Dadofa17:
Originally Posted by CollegeParentNoMore:

Pitchers excepted

I have to disagree.   My son made varsity baseball as a freshman.   He was also offered a spot on the JV basketball team and the varsity football team.  He turned down both basketball and football so he could concentrate on baseball.   he did not have to do that to be competitive.  He did it to be the best he could be.  

Isn't the question whether the very best predictor of whether any son(player) is going to be the best they can be based on whether that happens in HS or from ages 18-21, for most players?

Originally Posted by 2019Dad:

Has anyone ever looked at this systematically? Just by way of example, the Louisville Slugger preseason All-American teams were just announced: http://baseballnews.com/2015-h...eason-all-americans/

Just out of curiosity, I looked up the California first-team kids in MaxPreps:

Pitchers:

Kolby Allard (baseball-only)

Kye Molnar (also played basketball)

Joe Demers (also played basketball)

Chris Brown (baseball only)

Peter Lambert (realistically, baseball-only; played one-year of football as a freshman)

Noah Davis (baseball-only)

Justin Hooper (baseball-only)

Non-pitchers:

Nick Madrigal (baseball-only)

Noah Prewett (baseball-only)

Nico Hoerner (baseball-only)

Christ Betts (baseball-only)

So, 9 of the 11 first-team All-Americans have played baseball only in high school (counting Lambert as baseball-only, because he played football only as a freshman).

I think it's fantastic when kids play more than one sport -- Giancarlo Stanton was all-CIF in football, basketball, and baseball -- but I'm genuinely curious about the actual facts. I would guess that the Stantons of the world are the exception, and most top baseball kids are focused on a single sport. And probably the top basketball kids are solely focused on basketball. Football, which for most positions doesn't require the fine motor skills of basketball or baseball, may be an exception -- it may be that lots of them play another sport.

Interesting data point, 2019, thanks for sharing.  To offset that a bit, I'll throw out one of my observations...

Through recent years of advising players in our HS program, I have developed a hobby of perusing college baseball rosters across all divisions. I like to read profiles to gain a better understanding of topics such as this one.  It seems that a very high percentage (I know, not very scientific or precise) have other HS sports listed.  And most often, they have exceled at those as well, listing all-league, county and state honors.  If I had to guess, I'd say 70-80% played other sports in HS. 

One possible reason for the disparity between my observations and your info - those who play baseball only are more likely to participate in a higher number of baseball showcases and other high-profile events and are thus more likely to be listed on such national rankings listings.  Just thinking out loud.

I am a big proponent of multi-sport participation but it certainly creates challenges for us HS coaches.  Here's an interesting current scenario... We are currently trying to get our V and JV rosters cut down closer to the right numbers.  We are actually limited by, among other things, how many can fit in two vans for each squad (worth a separate thread in itself).  We have cut down to about 26 non-winter sports kids who have been working out with us since December conditioning.  We think we have about 12 winter sports kids coming out either as returning players or coming out as freshman when their soccer and basketball seasons end.  But, depending on how far each goes in playoffs, we may not even get them out with us until after our regular season games have started.  We are not allowed to contact or work them out until their winter sport is completed.  At some point, we'll probably have to make several more cuts but when?  It's awfully tough to cut a kid who has made it through and been issued uni's for first games.  But we can't penalize a more capable player for being involved in another sport.  And we can't make too many preliminary cuts that may leave us short for our first games and we haven't even seen a few of the freshmen yet...   

BTW, I certainly don't discount baseball-only athletes... I've seen success from both.     

Last edited by cabbagedad

OK, I was bored and curious -- a dangerous combination! -- so I looked up the 2013 first-round. For what it's worth, here are the high school kids drafted in the first round in 2013 and what sports they played in high school (per Maxpreps):

Kohl Stewart (baseball and football)

Clint Frazier (baseball-only)

Trey Ball (baseball and basketball)

Austin Meadows (baseball and football)

Phil Bickford (baseball-only)

Dominic Smith (baseball-only)

Reese McGuire (baseball-only)

JP Crawford (baseball-only)

Nick Ciuffo (baseball-only)

Hunter Harvey (baseball-only)

Billy McKinney (baseball-only)

Christian Arroyo (baseball-only)

Rob Kaminsky (baseball-only)

Travis Demeritte (baseball and basketball)

Ian Clarkin (baseball and soccer)

Matt Krook (baseball-only)

Josh Hart (baseball-only)

So, 17 high-school kids drafted in the first round -- 12 were baseball-only high school athletes, and 5 played two sports in high school.  Zero played three varsity sports in high school.

For the 2014 draft it looks like this:

Brady Aiken (baseball and football)

Tyler Kolek (baseball, football, and basketball)

Nick Gordon (baseball-only)

Alex Jackson (baseball-only)

Kodi Medeiros (baseball-only)

Touki Toussaint (baseball and football)

Grant Holmes (baseball-only)

Derek Hill (baseball-only)

Cole Tucker (baseball-only)

Michael Chavis (baseball and basketball)

Foster Griffin (baseball-only)

Luis Ortiz (baseball-only)

Justus Sheffield (baseball and football)

Braxton Davidson (baseball-only)

Michael Kopech (baseball-only)

Jack Flaherty (baseball-only)

Forrest Wall (baseball-only)

Blake Anderson (baseball-only)

Jake Gatewood (baseball and football)

So, 19 high-schoolers drafted in the first round -- 13 were baseball-only in high school, 6 played two or more sports. One (Kolek) played three sports as a sophomore, but even he cut down to two sports for his junior and senior years.

Very similar percentage across the two years -- about two-thirds of the very highest-level high school baseball players (and I think we can agree that first-round draft picks are as good as it gets for high school baseball players) only played baseball in high school. About one-third also played another sport. Clearly, either path can work.

"Isn't the question whether the very best predictor of whether any son(player) is going to be the best they can be based on whether that happens in HS or from ages 18-21, for most players?"

I don't think being a multisport athlete in HS is a predictor of anything, its more like a lagging indicator of athletic talent. These kids are multisport athletes because coaches recognize their exceptional talent and there is a demand for the kids services.  Not all talented kids will play multiple sports for a variety of  reasons, but I suspect its not because they didn't have the opportunity. 

Each level has a narrow funnel, the more athletic the player, the better opportunity he will have to advance, whether he's 14-18 or 18-21.  I also think for most players 18-21 is all about seeing where their exceptional potential can take them, when they apply their talent fulltime to baseball.  Some flatline, some lose interest, some catch fire, some were misjudged, some get bigger,  but only a very few move through the next funnel......  most of the position  players on my son's minor league teams were multisport athletes in HS, one of the pitchers even had a football scholarship to LSU.

I think it depends on the high school you attend. My 2015 is straight baseball BUT wanted to play football. He was the starting QB his freshman year. the varsity coached knew he was a baseball first kid and told him unless he was available all summer to participate in football conditioning and 7 on 7, DO NOT expect to be the quarterback. they wanted 100% buy-in from him. This made our decision easy BUT hurtful. He has since signed to play D1 baseball in the SEC. It worked out BUT he wanted to play football and the football coaches wanted football guys only. 

^^^^

I'm always flabbergasted when I read stories like that one above.

Our younger son attended a HS that routinely sends about 30 athletes onto D1 schools every single year.  Alums include Kerri Walsh, Brandi Chastain and Aaron Gordon.  Some of their teams are routinely nationally ranked.  SI had them as a top-10 HS athletic program for many of the 6 years we had two of our kids there.

They bend over backwards to encourage athletes to play multiple sports.  When our son was indecisive all summer about playing football, they allowed him onto the team the week before school started with no penalty whatsoever.  He started about half of the games that year.  Another baseball player who had made the eventual state championship basketball team, but wasn't playing too much tried to quit so he could get onto the baseball field - he wasn't allowed due to not keeping his original commitment.  He was later a supplemental 1st round pick in the MLB draft.  He was also a 4-year water polo player.

There IS another high powered HS in that area that discourages multi-sport athletes.  For that, they have lost at least one very good football/baseball player in the last year.

I just don't get this institutionalized discouraging of multi-sport athletes.  Stanford is NOT in that club.  They have many examples of 2-sport athletes over the years including John Elway.

I'm curious as to what other parts of the country do because my son's experience (possibly due to the attitude of football coach) in TX would make it very difficult for him to play anything but baseball.

I grew up in Nebraska.  Fall, Winter, Spring school seasons that had no overlap whatsoever. One season started after the championships were done for season before.  No athletics class.  Went to PE with the non athletes.  Practice was limited to after school.   Almost all of my friends played football, basketball and baseball until you either got cut or sat the bench for one full season and moved on.  Lots of multi sport guys then and to this day. 

Now here in TX my son as a college committed baseball first guy deals with if you play football you are in football class every day.  So one quarter of your school day all year round is devoted to being a better football player.  Which means no baseball reps during the school day during the spring and max lifts all during the baseball season when you are trying to be at peak performance.

Basketball season starts before the regular season in football is even over and basketball overlaps start of baseball season by at least four weeks.

My son could help the football team and likely make the team in basketball but would ride the pine, but at the end of the day with all the headaches of dealing with overlap, being forced to football class it just isn't worth it to him.  At his school I would say he is in the majority.  Very few boys that contribute to multi sports at the varsity level.

Last edited by BackstopDad32
Originally Posted by ECTIGER93:

I think it depends on the high school you attend. My 2015 is straight baseball BUT wanted to play football. He was the starting QB his freshman year. the varsity coached knew he was a baseball first kid and told him unless he was available all summer to participate in football conditioning and 7 on 7, DO NOT expect to be the quarterback. they wanted 100% buy-in from him. This made our decision easy BUT hurtful. He has since signed to play D1 baseball in the SEC. It worked out BUT he wanted to play football and the football coaches wanted football guys only. 

Was this at a large high school?   I think the advantage of smaller schools, enrollments of less than 400 kids, is the opportunity to be a multi-sport athlete. 

We have a senior football player (that will play college football) that decided to play basketball this year and play his 4th year of high school baseball once basketball is over.

Originally Posted by justbaseball:

^^^^

I'm always flabbergasted when I read stories like that one above.

Our younger son attended a HS that routinely sends about 30 athletes onto D1 schools every single year.  Alums include Kerri Walsh, Brandi Chastain and Aaron Gordon.  Some of their teams are routinely nationally ranked.  SI had them as a top-10 HS athletic program for many of the 6 years we had two of our kids there.

They bend over backwards to encourage athletes to play multiple sports.  When our son was indecisive all summer about playing football, they allowed him onto the team the week before school started with no penalty whatsoever.  He started about half of the games that year.  Another baseball player who had made the eventual state championship basketball team, but wasn't playing too much tried to quit so he could get onto the baseball field - he wasn't allowed due to not keeping his original commitment.  He was later a supplemental 1st round pick in the MLB draft.  He was also a 4-year water polo player.

There IS another high powered HS in that area that discourages multi-sport athletes.  For that, they have lost at least one very good football/baseball player in the last year.

I just don't get this institutionalized discouraging of multi-sport athletes.  Stanford is NOT in that club.  They have many examples of 2-sport athletes over the years including John Elway.

It starts with the AD.  There is a HS in my area that is promoting "Play 2."  They have revised their summer workouts to include multisport speed/agility/conditioning for all athletes in the AM.  Then sport specific practices in the PM.  They try to eliminate overlap and conflicts as much as possible.   

Being a HS coach in Texas, I will have to say that it really comes down to the individual HS and ADs. I have family and friends with sons at big schools and all their sons are football/baseball kids and do well at both (all are going D1baseball). I am now coaching at a small HS (125 students), and all my players play multiple sports..... The next town over is the same size school and they have 15 in off-season baseball class.

2016 goes to a school with just over 600+ kids.All the baseball players @16-20 on V roster in any given are multi sport.Guessing @ 20-25% are playing 3.Basket ball and wrestling same time of year.We have the rule of one sport at a time also.There is no school fall ball in our area.Only travel fall ball.IMO its the basket ball and baseball kids HERE that are hurt the most.Theres never any real time for the weight room.School ball @ 1st of march.June thru Aug. travel Then early to mid Sept. till basket ball they play Fall ball.I think the multi sport kids that have time off in between do better in general.Sports in spring/fall of winter/summer.

My kids went to a large classification school that was on the lower end of the large scale. The high school sent a lot of athletes to college sports mostly at the D3 level. But every sport had it's D1 players.

Girls were treated differently. There were some very good female athletes. But it was not in the quantity of male athletes. Girls were encouraged to play two or three sports. 

Boys were another story. A majority of the male coaches thought they owned their players. My son played three sports freshman year. Soph year he was cut from the basketball program for not playing in a summer basketball league and missing optional workouts all year. He was the only soccer player not playing summer travel. It irked the coach. My son attended summer goalie camps to appease him. The baseball coach was one of the few coaches who encouraged multiple sports. Seven players played two sports. But they were warned about attending winter workouts. There was a 5:45 am workout session twice a week for those playing winter sports.

There is no right or wrong.  Many of the very best in a sport were multi sport athletes in HS.  Many of he very best concentrated in one sport in HS. To be your best at anything it takes repetition.  There is a reason there are so many Latin baseball players.  Many times that SS from the DR has fielded a million ground balls More than the average American HS SS.  

You see a ton of American players in all the major sports.  How many Dominicans do you see playing football or basketball?

All that said, there can be many benefits in playing other sports.  Maybe more from the mental than physical side. Plus some athletes in HS simply haven't figured out what it is they want to do in the future.

Burn Out... I don't buy in!  I don't believe in it.  I know it happens at times, but it doesn't happen when things are going well.  Players might need time off to rehabilitate body and mind, but time off and quitting are two different things.

There are just too many successful athletes both ways, concentrate on one sport or play multiple sports, to assume there is anything wrong with either way.  I just don't think any kid should be forced into playing a sport he doesn't want to play. The very best, tend to love what they do.

I have seen some things that make me wonder.  There is a baseball only kid from a traditional high level football state. He is under 6 foot tall and weighs about 220 lbs.  He is extremely powerful and athletic. He oozes athletic ability and is one of fastest runners we have ever seen. He looks like a run away locomotive, but changes direction on a dime.

This kid is a talented baseball player, committed to a DI school.  He has 5 tool potential but has a long way to go.  There are many with much more baseball talent. We see a lot of duel sport football stars that are nowhere near as fast or powerful or athletic.  It amazes me that this kid doesn't play HS football.  In this case I actually think he would stand out a lot more on the football field than on the baseball field. In fact, if I were a big time college football coach I'd recruit him even though he doesn't play In HS.  If anyone here would see him, I think you would agree.

Originally Posted by RJM:

Boys were another story. A majority of the male coaches thought they owned their players. My son played three sports freshman year. Soph year he was cut from the basketball program for not playing in a summer basketball league and missing optional workouts all year. He was the only soccer player not playing summer travel. It irked the coach. My son attended summer goalie camps to appease him. The baseball coach was one of the few coaches who encouraged multiple sports. Seven players played two sports. But they were warned about attending winter workouts. There was a 5:45 am workout session twice a week for those playing winter sports.

100 pct opposite at my kids school.  They have early am long toss sessions.  We where specifically told that if a winter sport participant showed up he would be sent home.  We'll find out the ramifications in about 30 days.  

Originally Posted by Golfman25:

100 pct opposite at my kids school.  They have early am long toss sessions.  We where specifically told that if a winter sport participant showed up he would be sent home.  We'll find out the ramifications in about 30 days.  

Our school is very adamant about winter sport athletes not attending the "open gym's" for the spring athletes.  They don't want to take the chance of an in season athlete getting hurt getting ready for another sport.  

We had a previous baseball coach, who just helped crush a decent program. He did not care if you played another sport, but he wanted baseball players who happened to play foot ball. Not Football players that happened to play baseball. That chased off quite a few pretty good players that could have started for the program. Several tried to come back and play after taking the a year or two off and they just couldn't do it. 

Since then our coaches have encourage multi sport athletes. His philosophy was that you played and lifted with what ever sport was in season and he would see you once baseball rolled around. It was the players responsibility to keep his baseball skills fresh. He just left and the school has a new coach, but i do not know his philosophy. The current Football coach says he encourages multi-sport athletes as well, but in practice, he has told some good baseball players, things such as "I cannot see making you a captain as long as you are not fully committed to Football. He has also discouraged players from wrestling. He always says the right thing, but when push comes to shove he makes it tough to do both.

My son is at a very large HS.  About 3,600 students across 4 grades.  The school encourages the athletes to be multi-sport athlete and most kids are.  The problem comes in when you have an athlete that has potential to play beyond HS in a sport.  Most of our boys team sports have a Frosh A and B team, a Soph A and B team, a Varsity/JV team.  In my Soph sons case he is starting to see some college interest in baseball, which is his primary sport.  He also was/is a starter on the football A team and on the basketball A team.  Most of our A teams play on Friday night and the B teams play on Saturday morning.  If you are on the A team you are expected to be at the B games.  We have had instances where we needed to get my son to a camp/showcase on Saturday morning.  We were forced to make a choice between skipping some exposure or having him miss his commitment to his in-season sport and suffering the "penalty" for missing.  In most cases the penalty is to sit for the next game you are scheduled to play.  If he is lucky they may only sit him half the game instead of the whole game.  

For instance my son had a showcase to attend.  It was going to be attended by about 30 midD1 schools, of which we know at least 4 or 5 where wanting to see him there.  He played in the A game on Friday and was not scheduled to "dress" for the Saturday B game.  He talked to the coach about going to the showcase.  He was given permission to go but was told that he would have to sit for the first half of the next weeks game.  He decided to go to the showcase.  Fortunately for him the coach told him he supported his decision, didn't hold this against him, and told him that he applies the policy to everyone for any reason.  Unless you are missing for an academic reason if you miss you sit.  This include sickness.

I actually support the schools policy on this, but it does make it hard to be a multi-sport athlete who is attempting to get himself to the next level.  As of right now my son is 95% certain he is giving up football to focus on baseball and about 65% certain he is going to give up basketball as well.  

Originally Posted by joes87:
Originally Posted by Golfman25:

Our school is very adamant about winter sport athletes not attending the "open gym's" for the spring athletes.  They don't want to take the chance of an in season athlete getting hurt getting ready for another sport.  

In this day and age, I think that is a "silly" position.  Many kids are working out with their club teams anyway.  As far as baseball is concerned, I view off season throwing as relatively low risk of current sport injury, but very important in conditioning one's arm.  Not throwing is the equivalent of me getting my fat a$$ off the couch to run a 5k -- I am not gong to make it very far.     

There is a strong correlation between superior football skills and superior wrestling skills so I am not surprised that the football coach wanted to see him on the mat.  I didn't want to have a 10 page post so i limited this list to pro football players who were also championship level wrestlers in H.S. or College. Red are ones that are mostly household names from football

Walter Barnes, DL, Washington Redskins - SEC Champ

Brad Benson, New York Giants – PA State Champ

Jeff Bostic, C, Washington Redskins – SC State Champ

Phil Bryant, Philadelphia Eagles – 2x National Prep Champ

Ralph Cindrich, Houston Oilers – PA State Runner-Up

Jonathan Condo, LS, Dallas Cowboys - PA State Champ, Dapper Dan Champ

Tom Cousineau, LB, Cleveland Browns  – 3rd State

Curley Culp, DL, Kansas City Chiefs – NCAA Champ

Carl Edwards, San Diego Chargers – 3x MD State Champ

Rob Essink, Seattle Seahawks – NCAA DII Champ

Doug France, LT, Los Angeles Rams – OH State Runner-Up

Frank Garcia, C, St. Louis Rams – 2x AZ State Champ

William George, Chicago Bears – 2x PA State Champ

Charlie Getty, RG, Kansas City Chiefs – 2x NCAA All-American

Bob Golic, DT, Cleveland Browns – OH State Champ

Kelly Gregg, NT, Baltimore Ravens, 3x KS State Champ

Carlton Haselrig, Pittsburgh Steelers, 3x NCAA Champ

Chad Hennings, DT, Dallas Cowboys – IA State Champ

Jay Hilgenberg, C, Chicago Bears – IA State Runner-Up

Steve Wisniewski, G, Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders - CA State Champ

Tim Krumrie, DL, Cincinnati Bengals – WI State Champ

Ray Lewis, Baltimore Ravens – 2x FL State Champ

Jim Nance, FB, New England Patriots – NCAA Champ

Lorenzo Neal, FB, Tennessee Titans - NCAA Champ

Stephen Neal, OL, New England Patriots – NCAA Champ

Chuck Noll, Pittsburgh Steelers – PA State Champ

Leo Nomellini, T, San Francisco 49’ers – Big 10 Champ

Irv Pankey, Los Angeles Rams – 2x MD State Champ

Mike Pyle, C, Chicago Bears – IA State Champ

Eric Rhett, RB, Cleveland Browns – FL State Champ

Warren Sapp, DT Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Oakland Raiders - FL State Champ

Mark Schlereth, OL, Washington Redskins - Alaska State Champ

Cory Schlesinger, LB, Detroit Lions - NE State Champ

Steve Sefter, DT, Philadelphia Eagles, 2x PA State Champ & NCAA All-American

Tony Siragusa, DT, Baltimore Ravens – NJ State Champ

Fred Smerlas, Buffalo Bills - MA State Champ

Bill Szott, OL, Washington Redskins – NJ State Champ

Dave Szott, Kansas City Chiefs – NJ State Champ

Woody Thompson, RB, Atlanta Falcons – PA State Champ

Mike Trgovac, DC, Carolina Panthers – OH State Champ

John Ward, OL, New York Jets – NCAA All-American

Leo Wisniewski, NT, Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts - PA State Champ

Coy Wire, LB, Buffalo Bills – PA State Runner-Up

Roddy White, WR, Atlanta Falcons - 2x SC State Champ (First Round Pick)

Eric Ghiaciuc, C, Cincinatti Bengals - MI State Champ

Adam Seward, ILB, Carolina Panthers - NV State Champ

Each sport teaches critical life lessons and although a single sport player can excel and succeed there are mental and physical aspects of the sport that they will have to gain through training that multi-sport athletes gain through participation. No right or wrong just different paths to get to the same result

Last edited by MDBallDad

We have a player at our rather mediocre HS athletics program who is built for speed and like another person noted, oozes athleticism. He's maybe 6'0" 185 and ripped with speed to burn. Played baseball FR and SO year but struggled as a hitter because he worked on football so much. Did not play baseball last Spring (JR year) to focus on football. Now that he's committed to play football for a college he is going to play baseball his SR year because he can. I expect he'll be fine defensively but perhaps a liability at the plate.

Originally Posted by Smoltzie29:

My 2016 is a 3 sport athlete.  He is committed and his future coach there is very supportive of him playing other sports.

My 2015 is a three-sport athlete as well. During his college recruitment, we found that more coaches often targeted players who play other sports. Part of it is the cross training. One coach said how can I duplicate in an offseason workout, a football player running away from a defenseman, or the amount of running soccer kids do? Other sports too allow time in the weightroom in HS..tough to just get on the schedule. Some schools recruit primarily shortstops, as they tend to be the most versatile and athletic. Another D1 told us he recruits multi-sport athletes because they tend to be "more competitive." Some probably would fear injury though for a pitcher they are eyeing.

Sorry if this is irrelevant. But I was horrible at other sports. Absolutely horrible. Heck, I'm just okay at baseball, just a kid that's barely hanging on to it actually. I could've never been a multi-sport athlete to save my life, though at the time, that's what a lot of coaches suggested we do. I remember in high school weights class, everyone would be excited to take the day off from lifting to play flag football... those days weren't as much fun for me.. as I can't even catch the dang ball LOL. Don't even get me started on how bad I was at basketball haha. I know it's an extreme case, but I think being a one-sport athlete worked out rather well for me. I was too bad at other sports where I'd be really frustrated with myself had I attempted them more. Let's just say I was so bad at other sports, that in high school, I was the only baseball player of all my teammates that was NOT asked to try out for the football team haha.

Just a thought from a different perspective.

Last edited by DwightMillard33

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.