Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Pardon Me,

But virually every level of baseball my son has played REQUIRED a cup. Most coaches would not allow any player on the field to play with out one.

Anyone playing baseball, or letting their child play the game with out a cup is d_amn fool! (ahhh... i see from the poll results there are at least 4 fools out there.)

As a pitcher, you are the closest to player on the field to a hit ball. You are also the most likely to be in a bad position to field or react to hit ball due to your follow through.
(Or have you not been watching ESPN over the past few years with pitcher's being hit by batted balls)

Why you would think it is ok to pitch with out a cup is so far beyond common sense that words like stupid and moronic are understating the situation.
quote:
Originally posted by NHFundamentalsDad:

As a pitcher, you are the closest to player on the field to a hit ball. You are also the most likely to be in a bad position to field or react to hit ball due to your follow through.
(Or have you not been watching ESPN over the past few years with pitcher's being hit by batted balls)

Why you would think it is ok to pitch with out a cup is so far beyond common sense that words like stupid and moronic are understating the situation.

not to be a smart alec or anything, but catchers are actually closest. Foul balls hurt just as much when they hit you from a foot away on the wrist. But no, unless you are an outfielder, or a benchwarmer, you should be wearing a cup.
Last edited by Adam Carlton
At a vey young age our ball players had to knock on their cup so the coach could hear it. No cup no play.Last year my son was playing elite ball and he wass having a no hitter in the 4th. A line stop right at his family jewels that he had a fraction of a second to block. He was just able to deflect it with the back of his unopened glove, right between the uprights. Even with a cup he would have been one sore kid. He went on to throw a 1 hitter shutout.
Just two weeks ago one of our outfielders in legion ball, left handed batter actually fouled a pitch into his own jewels and wasn't wearing a cup.

After writhing around for about 5 minutes he got up a ripped a double. Best hit he had in a couple weeks. Apparently his focus improved with pain. Everyone was surprised to hear he hadn't been wearing a cup, but no one could believe he could foul one off and hit himself that way either.

Not a good way to end a slump, think he will wear protection from now on.
When my son was 13 he was pitching in an AAU Tournament, line drive came straight back an hit him in the cup. It still knocked him down.

With aluminum bats you are crazy not to wear a cup at any position. Wooden bats, that might be open for discussion.

I was umping a 14 year old game on SAturday, the 2nd basemen had a cup check on a ground ball that was hit to him.
Adam,

I was not leaving out catchers. You guys take more physical abuse than anyone on the field. I'm pretty sure you are not giving up ANY of the proective gear you have.

My point was aimed at idea of a hard hit ball (ground ball or line drive) coming back at the pitcher. Especially off Aluminum bats! Pitchers get hurt every year, many very seriously. A pitcher is also the only fielder who has to work around an uneven surface when he is fielding balls. Why any pitcher would not utilize a cup is beyond me.

While wearing a cup does not mean that getting hit in the groin will not hurt, it will help protect against serious injury there.

As rhbaseball said, It only has to happen once. Ask Ben Rothlisberger if he thinks helmets are such a bad idea now. They were not a big deal to him when Kellen Winslow Jr got stupid with a motorcycle. I have a feeling now his attitude towards them may have changed.

There are times in life where a young man will make decisions to "prove" how tough he is or show off how much of a man he is. Most of the time it is just showing how foolish & stupid he is. Not wearing a cup would be one of these stupid choices.

I noticed there is a thread in the General Forums area about the son of one of the members here who was seriously injured just the other day. He was a pitcher who got hit in the face with a batted ball in the Cape Cod League (Wooden Bats).

True accidents happen often in this game and we feel bad for the player and his family when they do. I responded here in the players only area as a concerned dad when I saw the title of this thread. I think its extremely important to make sure that all players wear the appropriate protective equipment when they play sports. There is NEVER a good reason to not wear a cup when your playing baseball.
This past year, comebackewr at the pitcher, hit hiim 6 inches above his knee, the ball bounced ALL the way into the baseline between 1st and 2nd. It was a crack off his leg. He went down in a second. He was injured for 2 weeks- i forget exactly how long. Anyway, coach says- you know your very lucky, a few inches down and it shatters your knee. After reading this forums, I say- youre very luck a foot higher and it shatters your hope of having kids. But he was wearing a cup...
I always wear one--I've been hit there too many times (thankfully while I was wearing one) to not wear one.

Last year my coach was reccomending to us that we all wear one. Our SS was saying stuff about "I Never Get hit there"--2nd ball hit went right too him. He got a 1 hop liner in to balls.

I wear a jockstrap--but I was wondering if sliders are more comfortable?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.