Skip to main content

My father attended and later taught in the engineering college at Va. Tech. I lived in Blacksburg as a young kid and remember the buildings they are talking about (I think my dad's office was in one of them).

We still have friends there, teaching (my Godfather) and attending school (we checked some and they are ok).

I saw my very first college baseball game there...Johnny Oates hit a home run.

I am devastated. This hits too close to home.

My prayers are with everyone on that campus and in that town.
quote:
by RZ: What happened at VA Tech is terrible but what always concerns me are copycats .. don't want to hijack this thread
do appreciate the heads up & I'll add to that thought that on my daughter's campus they had recently raised student awarness/cautions of upcoming anninversaries of Columbine & Waco Frown
Last edited by Bee>
It is times like these that cause me to sit back and re-evaluate what I have set as priorities in life.

It really makes me wonder about life in general and all of the turmoil that is going on, not just in my region but across the world. For 'us' over here it really, really stings, yet for those of us over sea's that live in constant turmoil, this has sadly become almost every day occurrence.

It really makes me wish we could come to an end for all of this unnecessary violence and anger towards one another, we are after all, all the same.

My prayers are with the faculty, student population, and their respected families along with the State of Virginia and the entire United States of America.

I am truly saddened by this horrible horrible act.
My son is a sophmore at Tech and he is in that dorm. Thank God he is OK.He was sleeping at the time and didn't realize what was happening until he recieved a phone call. It is all setting in now as they start to find out what friends they have lost. We are driving there tomorrow to be with him and any of his friends who need our support.
What a horribly sad tragedy! My thoughts and prayers with all those students and their families. I cannot imagine what it would be like to hear about this and not know if your child was ok or not.

lvthegame - Prayers for a safe journey for you and bless you for being there for your son and all the others that will need arms around them.
Last edited by lafmom
quote:
Originally posted by FutureBack.Mom:
Prayers for all involved. This is horrific.

TPM ... you raise very good questions and I am not sure we could all agree on what the causes are but I know we can all agree that it is scarey to think that our children and loved ones aren't safe from the rage that fills some people's souls.

We send our children away to go to school, beleiving them to be safe in a college setting in the middle of nowhere or in a larger city. Things happen everywhere, I feel no place is safe for our children anymore.
I am sure it has hit mine hard as he was just up to Va Tech a week ago.
For those who have friends and family in Blacksburg, I am glad to hear your loved ones are safe.
Sickening, horrible, devastating, violated, & angry.

I have been a Law enforcement officer in Virginia for over 30 years and I have never seen the likes of anything close to this.

I am still awaiting to hear from one of my former ballplayers there.

WHY? why would this ever happen ?

I can only ask God for help in understanding this.

CV
Just saw Franklin Graham's interview regarding this tragedy. "We must all remember there is a God and he loves us. We must also remember there is a Satan."

God knows & we will all someday know the answer to the question: WHY?

Let this be a reminder that we must all live every day as if it is our last.
We must continue to teach our children the same.

Our prayers for the injured, the families that have lost a loved one, the university family & the entire community.
Last edited by Southpaw Pop
I've been traveling, in a technical conference and with clients all day & night so I'm kind of getting up to speed on this so I've got a couple questions:

1) If I saw it correctly, the first shootings were around 7:30 am and the rest starting around 10:00. Is that correct? If so, why were the kids in class not aware of what happened 2 1/2 hours earlier (If I heard that right)? I'm not pointing fingers, just trying ot understand.

2) It sounds like all of the websters family/friends are ok right?
My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone as well.

We need to bring God back into our lives. We can't wait for a tragedy like this to look around and wonder why or ask for help. We need to start everyday with a prayer thanking God we get to have another day and ask what He wants us to do with that day. Then we need to end everyday with a prayer thanking Him we had this day and hope we lived up to what He wanted.

Look at what the government does during tragedies - they tell us to pray. I want the government to allow us to pray everyday and stand up to the people who don't have the wisdom to pray and want others to not pray.
OK, All of my family, friends, and former ballplayers have all been accounted for, and thank God they are all ok.

Coach 2709 - I agree with you 100%

We are the most blessed Nation in the World, and also one of the most disobedient.

God Bless all of those brave students, University staff, the law enforcement officers, the rescue workers, and the hospital staffs.

CV
Last edited by cvsting
Beezer, I can answer your question. It's a free will world, and bad things and bad people happen. Our faith and beliefs may help us deal with bad people and horrible events, but don't necessarily prevent us from experiencing them. The reaction of the Amish in the Pennsylvania school shooting astounded me. I hope my faith is that strong, but pray I never have to find out under circumstances such as those in Pennsylvania or as happened at Tech yesterday.

Two guys I coached in Little league were way too close-one was ushered out of a building by police with bullet-proof shields, telling him to run like blazes, and the other was in a building adjacent to Norris Hall and heard many gunshots shots while they were locked down. Just unreal.

Despite being a huge campus(2600 acres), and a large student population (26,000), Va. Tech has always had a small comfortable friendly nature to it. I recall a freshman psychology class having students numbering roughly 1/3 the size of my hometown at the time, yet I was never uncomfortable down there. This horrific event will be linked to my beloved alma mater for many years well beyond my lifetime. I don't know how to come to grips with all of this, and it will get worse as names are released and we learn that many people will be connected to the murdered students somehow someway (I learned last night one victim was the friend of a girl my son dated).

If you're a believer, pray; if you're a non-believer, meditate, or think, or something, but somehow this world needs to come to grips with senseless acts of violence. Whether they occur in Iraq, in Sudan, or as unbelievable as it still is, in Blacksburg, Virginia, they affect us all.
quote:
Despite being a huge campus(2600 acres), and a large student population (26,000), Va. Tech has always had a small comfortable friendly nature to it. I recall a freshman psychology class having students numbering roughly 1/3 the size of my hometown at the time, yet I was never uncomfortable down there. This horrific event will be linked to my beloved alma mater for many years well beyond my lifetime. I don't know how to come to grips with all of this, and it will get worse as names are released and we learn that many people will be connected to the murdered students somehow someway (I learned last night one victim was the friend of a girl my son dated).

If you're a believer, pray; if you're a non-believer, meditate, or think, or something, but somehow this world needs to come to grips with senseless acts of violence. Whether they occur in Iraq, in Sudan, or as unbelievable as it still is, in Blacksburg, Virginia, they affect us all.

hokie - my deepest sympathies.

I find myself needing to write my thoughts because I am so deeply disturbed and saddened by this.

The frightening part about this is that it is so much bigger than Virginia Tech. That could have easily been any campus in America. Could have easily been any shopping mall in America. Imagine a coordinated attack where not one University is hit but 100 or 1000. Seems unlikely? Before yesterday, it never occurred to me that I would ever know anything about Virginia Tech other than their Engineers and Football team.

I admit that I see things from the right side of the politcal debate but I am not afraid to think outside the box. For instance, I believe activities like hunting are valid and can be part of an effective wildlife management system. Shotguns and non-assault rifles can not devastate in the manner we saw yesterday. But, why is it exactly that we need 19 shot assault firearms that can be easily hidden? Granted, criminals do not respect gun laws but if we reduce supply then it may someday have an effect. Moreover....

How is it that someone can come here from China, arm themselves in this manner, plan an operation like this, and execute it with such devastating efficiency? To me it is brutally obvious what our enemies our going to do to us in the next wave of attacks. They are going to follow the lead of the beltway snipers and the killer at Virginia Tech.

What can we do? We can start by being good neighbors. When we notice something that seems outside the bounds of good citizenship, then we need to report it. I am not talking about living in a police state. I am talking about decent people looking out for other decent people. We all know what it means to be decent without being offensive regarding someone else's privacy. We need to be honest about the dangerous situation we find ourselves in today. We need to have a major public debate about militant religious beliefs. We need to act like Americans who care about other Americans. We need to act.
Last edited by ClevelandDad
quote:
Originally posted by Beezer:
quote:
Originally posted by cvsting:
I can only ask God for help in understanding this.

If he happens to respond, can you enlighten me? I don't get it. What a shame. Frown

Something that was shared in another thread. Perhaps it may be of some help.

----------

It is difficult to answer the "why"? And certainly that is a struggle depicted in the book of Job.

I have lost loved ones & friends to cancer. Have seen someone struggle with the loss of a child. I don't know how those without God in their lives survive.

This world was thrown out of kilter, out of God's plan, back with Adam & Eve. And since then, bad things happen. And sometimes they happen to good people.

Something bad happening surely does not mean that someone did something to bring that bad upon themselves.

Since the Good Lord gave us free will, he will not keep every bad thing from happening. Otherwise we would be robots not humans.

So bad things do occur. That doesn't mean that it was God's plan or that He caused it. It is never God's plan for bad things to happen. Yet God can make something good come from any situation if we let Him.

We may or may not personally see that good. It is comforting when we do see it. But sometimes the good is beyond our sight, or beyond our time. We just have to remember that the fact that we don't see the good does not mean good did not occur.

And for those who are believers, leaving this earthly existence is not a bad thing. Rather, going to God's presence is the best thing that can happen. It is those of us left behind who have the pain of parting and the sense of loss. Yet if we also are believers, we can be comforted by the fact that soon we will see our loved ones again.
Wisdom from God's Word:

Joseph talking to his brothers, who initially tried to kill him and later sold him to slave traders: "You meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result, to preserve many people alive." (Genesis 50:20)

"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28)

"Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His godly ones." (Psalm 116:15)

We don't have to understand God's ways, we just have to trust Him.
Last edited by Infield08
Hi HSBBWeb parents and friends

I haven't been on this site for 3-4 years but thought of this community when I heard the tragic news from Virginia Tech. Hokie, CV, and everyone involved, my heart goes out to you and prayers are with you all.

My son is no longer playing baseball but we still enjoy following the game.

Best wishes from Sydney and nice to see this site still as active as ever.
I can honestly say that these are the saddest days I have ever known with what has taken place at Virginia Tech. We are a family of Hokies. I am a 1977 graduate, my wife is a 1980 graduate and my oldest son -- now a former Virginia Tech baseball player -- is a 2005 graduate. My daughter-in-law, now a former Virginia Tech volleyball player, is a 2006 graduate and my five-month old grandson has spent virtually his entire life in Hokie outfits. For me and Hokies everywhere, yesterday was no different than 9/11. The good part is that the Virginia Tech has banded together and, I have no doubt, will emerge stronger. And the support literally from around the world can only bring tears to the eyes of any Hokie anywhere, even here in Arizona. But nothing can ever bring back these beautiful young people with such bright futures whose lives were taken from them and nothing can ever replace the brave professors who died while saving at least some of their students. We will never forget April 16, 2007.

I received two notes I will share here. The first is from baseball coach Pete Hughes, new to the HokieNation, but clearly a man of class, professionalism and compassion:

Hey Everyone,

Despite today's tragedies, every member of the Virginia Tech Baseball Family is alright and accounted for. We are attempting to cope with this "monumental travesty" as an entire campus community. Thank you for your thoughts, concerns, and prayers.

Pete Hughes

The second is from a communications professor who is a close friend and who was physically much, much closer to the carnage. You can clearly sense the pain in her words:

Dear Communication Alumni:

I know you share our devastation at today's events. We're in shock. When the university releases the names of the victims, everything will become very, very real.

Here's what you can't hear on the news. People around campus took responsibility for securing areas and protecting students. I can only share the great response from your faculty. We learned in the Morva incident to listen to police scanners online at the first sign of trouble. Events transpire too quickly for the university administration to get word to everyone nearly as quickly as everyone would hope.

Beth Waggenspack and Emily Stallings pulled a high school Art club from West Virginia off the sidewalk and into Shanks Hall. We secured them in a basement classroom until we knew the danger had ended. Beth and Emily ordered students walking around campus inside. Others facuolty kept students calm down at the Shultz Media Center. I know similar efforts were made by faculty and staff around campus. Now, our Student Affairs staff are bearing a tremendous burden as they notify and support families of those killed and injured.

I know many of you want to know what you can do. We can only ask that you keep everyone, especially the victims and their families, in your thoughts and prayers. As other initiatives develop, and we know they will, we'll send word.

For now, hug your loved ones.

With a sad, sad heart.

Rachel

I hope no other university community ever has to deal again with such profound sadness.
Last edited by jemaz

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.