Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Still boggles my mind why redshirt rule in football is different.  Anyone have a good reasonable explanation why you can play up to X games in football and still eligible to redshirt but just 1 second on the field for baseball and you lose that eligibility?  I assume all other sports is the same as baseball, and only football is special?

@atlnon posted:

Still boggles my mind why redshirt rule in football is different.  Anyone have a good reasonable explanation why you can play up to X games in football and still eligible to redshirt but just 1 second on the field for baseball and you lose that eligibility?  I assume all other sports is the same as baseball, and only football is special?

Agreed.  This NEEDS to be changed.  Baseball and Basketball need to be in line with football.  The scholarship limits for D1 baseball is egregious as well.

The only explanation I can offer is that it points to the powerful lobby of the major D1 football coaches and ADs. 

The Coaches Associations of the various sports play a big role in this I believe.

Also, the tide may be gradually turning. Division I wrestling now has an exception that's available only in a wrestler's freshman year with a D1 program.  Division II football also now has a rule somewhat like D1, but it's limited to 3 games in a D2 football athlete's freshman year only. 

Agree, and this one really sucks.

NCAA Division III

To redshirt at the NCAA Division III level, the athlete must completely remove themselves from the team before the first game or contest of the season. The D3 rules charge a “season of participation” if an athlete is practicing with their team once the season begins, even if the athlete never appears in a game for their team during the season.

The only explanation I can offer is that it points to the powerful lobby of the major D1 football coaches and ADs.

The Coaches Associations of the various sports play a big role in this I believe.

Also, the tide may be gradually turning. Division I wrestling now has an exception that's available only in a wrestler's freshman year with a D1 program.  Division II football also now has a rule somewhat like D1, but it's limited to 3 games in a D2 football athlete's freshman year only.

@Rick at Informed Athlete

Hi Rick, can you help explain to me the rules around DIII medical redshirt.  Son got injured during practice a few days before the season starts.  Does he have to have zero affiliation with the team during a medical redshirt?  Ie trip to florida, etc.

@HSDad22 posted:

@Rick at Informed Athlete

Hi Rick, can you help explain to me the rules around DIII medical redshirt.  Son got injured during practice a few days before the season starts.  Does he have to have zero affiliation with the team during a medical redshirt?  Ie trip to florida, etc.

Having "zero affiliation with the team" is only necessary to redshirt as a D3 athlete if no season-ending injury or illness is involved.  If your son's injury is serious enough to be a "season-ending" injury as determined by a doctor, your son doesn't have to separate from the team. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.