Skip to main content

To help my friend sman14 sleep at night here is a discussion thread for the regular season. Just a quick heads up a bunch of stories have been added to www.granitestatebaseball.org under the NH High School page. Again any parent or player who want to submit short recaps or stories please send them my way, also pictures would be great to get up on the site, if you email them we will post them please include players names and grade if possible
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Granite State Baseball Association:
Again that game between Hudon and Veilleux was something to see, solid defensive plays on both sides were overshadowed by a really exciting pitching performance that paired to very different pitchers Veilleux a power pitcher, in the 5th inning Kevin didn't throw a pitch under 85 mph, he topped out at 89 mph on a cool afternoon. On the other side this crafty lefty who's fastest pitch on the day hit 81 mph on the gun and would be his only pitch to break 80 mph as he lived between 72 and 76 mhp with his fastball. If you get a chance to see either pitch this year, take the time to see them both put in solid performances.

Any clue how many pitches the Veilleux kid threw?
quote:
Originally posted by SMAN14:
So you're telling me that Veilleux, Colbert, and Maher all threw no hitters. McGowan took a no no into the sixth, Bisceglia took a no no into the sixth and combined with Couture to shut out BG all this week? Where did those six guys play there fall ball?

Did any of the teams they pitched against feature showcase league hitters? I can think of at least seven in the two games I went to... one of them even led the league in hitting.
@ Holman Stadium (Nashua, NH)

Londonderry 0_0_0_0_0_0_1_____1
Nashua North 0_3_0_0_0_0_X_____3

W - McGowan
L - Carollo
S - Morency

Video Highlights: Londonderry vs. North Video Highlights

For a team expected to display a lot of firepower this year, Nashua North scored their runs on three consecutive small-ball plays - two squeeze bunts and a well executed first-and-third play - in the second inning. North starter Kevin McGowan threw well for North. His first pitch was 87 and he sat 83-85, touching 86 when he needed it. Threw a lot of good change ups, mixed in a curve and showed a slider. He took a no-hitter into the 6th and Alek Morency relieved him to get the last out of that inning as well as the final three outs in the 7th. Morency was 83-86.

North's catcher (don't know his name - not Fortin) had a great game with a great sac bunt to set up the squeeze plays, a single to right, and a huge defensive play on a tapper in front of the plate with a runner on third and two outs. The kid really hustled all night. (See the video for this play.)

Carollo pitched very well for Londonderry allowing only a handful of well hit balls for North. He was 80-84 with his fastball, 68-71 with the curve and 72-74 with his change up. He commanded both sides of the plate, worked good sequences. (Not the typical HS fastball up, curve away.) He is definitely a pitcher - as opposed to a thrower. The Londonderry hitters hit a few deep fly balls that may have caused more damage in late May or June.

There was a very strange/interesting play in the 7th - almost a game ending triple play. After a double, hit batter and a wild pitch put runners on second and third with no outs, the next batter drove a ball to the gap in right center. Both runners were off on contact on what seemed to be a sure hit, but sophomore Louis Tarantino showed his speed and made a juggling catch, then doubled up the runner on second. The runner from third was already passed home but made it back to third before the throw got there. There was some confusion about re-tagging home plate - and video has confirmed he did not re-tag home. (This video has been put in the score keeping section to see how this should be called.) It was ruled a double play, but Morency struck out the next batter to end the game.
Last edited by BobbyTewks
quote:
Originally posted by jball:
Nice early season pitching from Colbert, Veilleux, Maher and several others. GSBA & SMAN can you tone down the commercials for the Showcase League, seems to me some of the hitters struggling early on played in the Showcase as well.

Jball I've tried to tone it down but I can't, I need to seek help. Its 4:10am and I think I'm the only person logged onto to hsbaseballweb.

I'll make an effort.
Last edited by SMAN14
I hope people arent trying to undermine the pitchers performances. Joey threw good against us and it was just a good game. He mixed it up when he had to and when people couldn't catch up he just kept with the fastball. First game of the season for us and the bats are slow.. We will get it. Does anyone know how hard joey has been clocked at? He was having some pop. And Im just upset about me not hitting.. I went home and hit for 2 hours after haha
Matt...you are right, it was a good game. From what his dad has told me, the last two workouts Joey had, he was consistently 85-86. He did mix in his off speed stuff well too, but what impressed me the most was his command. How is your arm holding up? Looked like you were shaking it after you induced a ground ball to the left side in the second inning...but you stayed in and played short so it couldn't have been too bad. I think you guys will be alright. I thought all of you that pitched yesterday did a good job of keeping our guys off balance and you all seemed to locate well, especially working that outside part of the plate. Good luck the rest of the season.
I was at the North vs Londonderry game last night. The catcher for North was Adam Lieth a Jr. Fortin caught the JV Game and was impressive in his own right. Threw out 3 or 4 Londonderry runners (a couple by several steps)and hit two bombs to left center. I believe it was the first time that North Varsity had beaten Londonderry in their short existence. The play by Tarantino was impressive and had the 2nd baseman had any awareness they'd have easily turned the triple play at 3rd. Tarantino almost made a full out diving catch the following inning with the ball glancing off the tip of his glove. You need to get him to come out for the showcase league he is a true 5 tool player.
Mike,

Ya Tarantino is only a sophomore. I was talking up the "fall league to to be named" with Matt Fortin's dad. I don't think he is playing a fall sport for the school so he would be available. The kid is the real deal behind the plate, his pop time and arm strength are excellent as well as the accuracy of his throws. I think the "fall league not to be named" would be a good experience for him even at his young age. He does not turn 15 till July I believe. And for those that question his bat, he has tremendous pop when he makes contact. Hitting will not be a problem for him going forward for sure. North has a solid group of sophomores on the hill and in the field. Do you know when tryouts for the Nashua area are yet for the "fall league not to be named"? Be nice to let the parents know when talking to them about the league.

I for one appreciate what you guys are trying to do even if it seem to some that it is mentioned a lot by yourselves. I like that you point out which players played for you guys. While their sucess isn't JUST from playing for you it certainly probably helped with their development by playing in those games. I know with my player being only a freshman I still may have him tryout for the "fall league not to be named" if just to have the experience of trying out for next year. Keep up the good work!
GSBA,

Promoting players is never an issue. I acknowledged the efforts of the 3 no-hit pitchers and poked some fun at you and SMAN for the tag team commercial for the Showcase League. Wasn’t it SMAN encouraging B Dub to keep having fun just the other day after a controversial posting? You apparently haven’t grown the thick skin that NHMonty suggested last summer after some spirited back and forth. Your passion for the game and the players is unquestioned, but you have to admit that you’ve used this blog to aggressively promote your brand – I just thought SMAN’s response to your post was a little over the top.
I was hurting pretty bad the entire time a pitched.. I was having shock waves of pain go up my arm everytime I threw, I just trying to hide it as much as possible. I know the team needs me and I cant let them down by being a pansy, thats why i stayed in at short. It hurts but Ill get through it. I didnt have the velocity at all.Im trying to strengthen it for when I got to Pierce so hopefully it comes around even tho Im playing MIF for them. And thank god you guys didnt hit it to me that many times haha. We r young. After me the 2 pitchers were freshmen and the last was a sophmore. We dont have alot of baseball per say players but we have atheletes on the team. I dont think we will bad. Bedfords pitching staff is very strong. Good job Bedford I wish you guys the best of luck
Matt,

Congrats on Franklin Pierce!! As I graduate I wish you well!!

Now that you've decided and I assume signed your NLI you need to shut down the pitching and save your arm before you do permanent damage and are being introduced to Tommy john!! You state you will be a fielder in college so you have nothing to prove on the mound. Ya you'd like to see your team do well but maybe with you not on the mound you'll be helping the program for the future as the freshman and sophomore pitchers will get more innings while developing for the future. Seriously while I love your desire and toughness you too have a future to prepare for as well and blowing out your elbow doing something you won't be asked to do in college is not the best way to go about it!

Think long and hard before you step on the mound again!

To end on a positive note...again congrats on playing baseball at the next level!!
BobbyTewks you wrote about Londonderry in the Nashua North vs Londonderry:

Corolla:
He commanded both sides of the plate, worked good sequences. (Not the typical HS fastball up, curve away.)

That is a backdoor complement to Geoff Fisher the Londonderry catcher because he calls the whole game and has for the last 2 years. I know the execution is by the pitcher but the selection is from the catcher. Thanks!
quote:
Originally posted by Dirt Dawg:
BobbyTewks you wrote about Londonderry in the Nashua North vs Londonderry:

Corolla:
He commanded both sides of the plate, worked good sequences. (Not the typical HS fastball up, curve away.)

That is a backdoor complement to Geoff Fisher the Londonderry catcher because he calls the whole game and has for the last 2 years. I know the execution is by the pitcher but the selection is from the catcher. Thanks!

Back door, front door, side door, doggy door... The kid hit his spots. Corolla pitched against my fall GSBA team, Fisher catching, and pitched very well then too. The pitcher makes the final choice what pitch to throw, but these two seem to really work well together. You don't see many HS kids attacking the inside corner, let alone doubling up inside. He/they had good sequences going all night and adjusted very well the 2nd and 3rd time through the lineup showing hitters new looks each time up. He breezed through his final 3 innings with less than 10 pitches in each frame.

I guess compliments should go out to the catchers and coaches calling pitches in the no-hitters and no-hit bids too. Smile

FYI In case "you" are interested. Fisher was 2.1s-2.2s on his clean throws between innings. Velocity out of the crouch was 70-74, which is pretty solid. IMO, he relies on his arm too much - could be consistently under 2.1 with better footwork and that arm strength, but very solid for a HS catcher. I have most of the throws on video if you know Geoff and he wants them.
Last edited by BobbyTewks
Sorry to rain on everyones Class L and Class I parade but there are also 2 other classes in New Hampshire that produce ball players just as good as the "top classes" as you guys would call them. I totally agree with JBall in this case. Promoting your players is on thing but you leave other players out of the conversation that also play well thats a little one way. Cote from Winnisquam also threw a No-Hitter on Monday the 12th... I mean come on guys you obviously read the monitor seeing how you put a link on here from it, but you constantly leave out the class M teams...
All right...some of you need to chill out!! If you live up north or in a town with a school that is in a small division then by all means REPORT ABOUT IT!! Guess what those of us who are talking about the larger class teams happen to live in the southern part of the state where our teams are mostly class L or class I. We'd love to hear about the kid from winnisquam who threw a no-hitter..tell us about it!!

Guess what my kid is only a freshman and pitched for the North freshman team today. He pitched 4 innings giving up zero hits walking 3 and striking out 10 without a ball reaching the dirt of the infield. No one was there gunning him or showing video of his performance and god knows no paper is going to write about it. Big deal that is how it works. But guess what...I just reported it by writing it on here Razz I didn't b!tch to the GSBA guys or AB guys or the other coaches and parents for not commenting about the JV or freshman teams where they actually live!!

So stop waiting for others to write it and report on it...do it yourself!! I know I'd love to read about it! Stop your complaining and add something to the discussion.
Red Raiders no one is on a pedestal, I personly recognize Mike Montville, Connor Lyons, Sam McManus and Sam Bonafont. I also posted about Jake Woodward, Chris Walker (a few years back), among others. We are not going to neglect our players, fact is that we have a lot of talented players who participate in our program. Just yesterday I posted about freshman Tim Renken (HB) and Bruce Lacasse and Greg Wnuk both from Bow. Also Fortin, Tarantion and Morency from Nashua North, I have posted about Paradise from BG, Beckwith from Memorial I can go on. None of these guys have played in the Showcase League. My personal goal is to give NH baseball more attention, it drives me crazy that every paper in the State covers the **** out of foot ball and I have not seen but one article on unionleader.com about baseball on openning week (I have not checked today). I posted about the concord game, emailed Lyons Dad for a recap, again Lyons did not play for us. Now you have two posts and both are about you dislike of the GSBA, go ahead an continue if you must or you can use this forum to share news about your team and the games they play in, in fact if you send me game recaps I will put them on our league website further increasing exposure to your players and your team. If all you are going to do is knock some guys who work really hard to help improve baseball by working with youth programs, middle school, high school,indoor training facilities, college coaches, senior babe ruth and american legion teams, where we are not looking to be the ones who get all the credit we just want to do our part to improve baseball here in NH and get our players (all players in NH) the opportunity to play at the college level, enjoy yourself we will continue to work with all those listed above. If you want to get your team more exposure and get your teams players names out there contact me mcampo@granitestatebaseball.org I will bend over backwards to help you in that task. I am a very approachable person who truly wants to give back to the State and Sport.
NHIAA Scout. What I don't understand is how you can keep making comments about blaming everything on his teammates when things don't go well. I am sure there are times when he is not perfect and I would suspect that his teammates don't blame him. You are all in it together.
Case in point: my shortstop was a step behind on an easy double play ball hit back to the pitcher. The play was made at second but botched on his relay throw. It resulted in a run. Did the pitcher blame the shortstop? No, he was the first one to give the shortstop a pat on the back when the inning was over. That is class.
On www.nhiaa.com it looks like two games were played yesterday Belmont vs. Gilford, Belmont won 6 to 5 and St. Thomas vs. Oyster River, St. Thomas won 5-1. Does anyone have a recap of either game that I could post on www.granitestatebaseball.org under the NH High School page? No recaps on the Concord Monitor, Laconia Citizen or Fosters websites. If anyone has pics from these games I will get them up on the site too, if you do have pics please include player name and grade if possible.
STA / OR recap. STA/ OR played on Thursday knowing full well that it was going to rain Fri. @ OR.
Scott Munroe pitched a 2 hitter for STA,0 ER, 0 bb, 3 k.
OR stayed in the game w/ no errors, and timely play. Sta had a lot of runners left on. Scoreless game until the 5th.
Spencer Wyand started for OR. 6 hits, 2 runs, 3 bb in 4.1 inn. Cody Mills had an RBI single for OR lone run.
Ben Johnson played very well @ SS for STA. Andy Johnson had a big 2 run triple to open the game up a bit in the 6th. Coppinger had 2 doubles and a infield hit.
Last edited by kpc89
Red Sox,

Thank you very much and I appreciate your input and think i am going to have to shut it down. Hopefully my coach will understand and I do think he will.

Coach Campo,

I let you not mentioning my name with the others slide this time!!!!! Wink

but I honestly think that people arent giving you enough credit for what you are doing and I have said this before. NH NEEDS THIS!!!! I am upset I didnt play in this league. Coach Campo needs to broadcast himself and he should show that 80% of the best kids in NH has taken part in one of the GSBA leagues. It seems like everyone is trying to rip on the GSBA and you should be thanking GOOD COACHES that put the effort to try to put baseball on the map.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.