Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by John YaYa:
quote:
Originally posted by powertoallfields:
It appears to me that he is pulling his bat through with his biceps and wrists. He isn't getting extension through the ball and he has very little separation between upper and lower body, it looks more like a spin to me.

Here's a video clip of Rocco Baldelli hitting a home run to left field using basically the same swing as the kid in question (as far as the upper body is concerned).

Obviously, your extension theory has some holes in it.

Dude! He was obviously jammed on this pitch and he adjusted accordingly.
Last edited by powertoallfields
Here's a video clip of Rocco Baldelli hitting a home run to left field using basically the same swing as the kid in question (as far as the upper body is concerned).

Obviously, your extension theory has some holes in it.[/QUOTE]

The biggest difference in this swing and the kid's, is the position of the bat shaft throughout the swing. Baldelli's shaft to shoulder relationship is a few inches until launch and the kid's starts leaving the shoulder as soon as he starts to turn.
Last edited by powertoallfields
quote:
From frame 20 to 24 his hands move in a straight line.

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Hitting/Pr...sis_AlbertPujols.pdf

First, given all the blurring this is a particularly bad clip to base this argument on.

Second, a side on view is the worst possible angle to judge the hand path.

Here's a much better clip to judge Pujols' hand path...

Last edited by John YaYa
quote:
Originally posted by John YaYa:
quote:
From frame 20 to 24 his hands move in a straight line.

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Hitting/Pr...sis_AlbertPujols.pdf

First, given all the blurring this is a particularly bad clip to base this argument on.

Second, a side on view is the worst possible angle to judge the hand path.

Here's a much better clip to judge Pujols' hand path...

Good clip! Knob goes straight to the ball from go until top hand fires. Extension will look different on an inside pitch because the back arm will need to stay bent slightly or the pitch will be hit foul. You still need to square up on the ball. The stills I provided are of a pitch down the middle which compare to the soft toss to the kid.
quote:
Originally posted by BlueDog:
quote:
Does this look any better in regards to the sequencing.

DenJake, yes....He is getting it....

I see a more powerful swing with nice sequencing....

Thanks for all of the help. We will keep working on the swing.

FYI.. We use a speedtrac to monitor the exit speed and that really helped him to see that he was not loosing power but in fact gaining some exit speed with this swing. (max exit speed was 67mph with soft toss, prior max was 65pmh)

Also, have been mixing in a lot of high soft tosses to emulate off speed pitches and he is able to stay back on them much better now.
quote:
Sequencing is much better. I'd still like to see his feet further apart to gain more leverage and he still needs to straighten his head. His eyes need to be level to the ground.

Thanks

I agree with the head tilt, wanted to work on the sequencing first. We are going to start working on keeping his head level now.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.