Skip to main content

… I will now root against Vandy in the finals ……….unless they play Texas.

Me too. I haven’t forgotten how poorly Texas acted when the were eliminated several years ago. They have different players and coaches now. But the bad attitude they show is reflective of the program. Friends in the state have told me it’s a Texas Longhorn attitude regardless of who is playing or coaching. They think they all fart perfume.

I got vaccinated in the second phase. I figured after millions of people had been vaccinated with statistically the odds being safe I wasn’t concerned. Being fit and healthy I wasn’t that concerned about Covid for the past year. For me, getting vaccinated was more about getting to the numbers where more things would open up.

I don’t have a problem with anyone not getting vaccinated. Some aren’t due to myths and Farcebook memes. Others believe they have legitimate concerns.

If a person doesn’t get vaccinated they’re playing the odds. In the case of NC State they rolled the dice and came up craps. It’s too bad. They were creating a great story. They beat the number one team. They were 2-0 in the CWS. Staying in the game yesterday and having a shot in the late innings just added to the drama of the story. Had they been able to play today every baseball fan not affiliated with Vanderbilt would have been pulling for them.

@RJM posted:

… I will now root against Vandy in the finals ……….unless they play Texas.

Me too. I haven’t forgotten how poorly Texas acted when the were eliminated several years ago. They have different players and coaches now. But the bad attitude they show is reflective of the program. Friends in the state have told me it’s a Texas Longhorn attitude regardless of who is playing or coaching. They think they all fart perfume.

I will take it a step farther. In the SW US the University of Texas is liked only by current & former students, and others that are employed by or connected to the school - and Walmart fans. Other than that they are universally disliked. They have alienated every other school in every conference they have ever been a part of with their greed, selfishness, attitude of superiority, and hunger for power. They are the institutional equivalent of an individual narcissist.

@adbono posted:

I will take it a step farther. In the SW US the University of Texas is liked only by current & former students, and others that are employed by or connected to the school - and Walmart fans. Other than that they are universally disliked. They have alienated every other school in every conference they have ever been a part of with their greed, selfishness, attitude of superiority, and hunger for power. They are the institutional equivalent of an individual narcissist.

I have a friend who taught at Texas. Another friend’s son went there. Returning to the northeast he talks about Texas like it’s the only decent university in Texas and all others are second rate.

My cousin taught at a rival Texas university. He had nothing but contempt for Texas. But he also taught at a BYU rival and had nothing but contempt for them as well.

@Senna posted:

Not quite. According to the same sources that you quote above: Two unvaccinated players tested positive. That prompted the NCAA to test the entire team, and they had more positives come back, all 4 of which were from vaxxed players.

As the NCAA policy clearly states, non-vaccinated players get tested per NCAA protocol, vaccinated ones (or players not showing symptoms) don’t. Entire team is vaccinated = no tests get performed (barring them being symptomatic). And they are playing a full team yesterday and today.

The “this wouldn’t have happened if they had been vaccinated” talk is, in this specific case with the information at our disposal, 100% correct.

Which kind of shows how effective this is.  In a test group of 27, at least 4 were vaccinated and still got it.  I hate the NCAA.  Taking this away from kids this far into the series is unfair at best.

@baseballhs posted:

Which kind of shows how effective this is.  In a test group of 27, at least 4 were vaccinated and still got it.  I hate the NCAA.  Taking this away from kids this far into the series is unfair at best.

Or, and hear me out, people made their “personal choice” and when the dice came up snake eyes, they got bitten, along with the entire team. If they didn’t get vaccinated for anything other than medical reasons, it’s on them and the coach, not the NCAA. They failed their teammates, and coach didn’t do all he could to ensure that his team would be able to abide with the protocols and stay competitive  

And if they couldn’t b/c of medical reasons, then it’s at least on the coach for putting the rest of the team in a situation where this could happen. Got players that could trigger this situation? Leave them at home, or take the consequences if they happen  

Believe me, I wanted nothing more than to be able to watch the finals without the TV muted, but no dice.

So Hail State. Was rooting for Landon anyway….

@baseballhs posted:

So in a case where it is more dangerous for this age group to get the vaccine than to get the virus, kids should put their health at risk for a 25% scholarship? Or be forced to? And what about the fact that four of the kids on the team that have Covid were vaccinated? So we should all pretend that this thing is 100% for the optics?

Your first sentence has no scientific backing at all. A small risk of heart inflammation is not the same as “more dangerous to get the vaccine than the virus”. And as for getting C19 after being vaccinated: yeah, it happens. Saw it on the MLB level already this year. It has no bearing on this case.

@Senna posted:

Your first sentence has no scientific backing at all. A small risk of heart inflammation is not the same as “more dangerous to get the vaccine than the virus”. And as for getting C19 after being vaccinated: yeah, it happens. Saw it on the MLB level already this year. It has no bearing on this case.

I'd like to cosign this post

@Senna posted:

I completely disagree. 300 total deaths from Covid in that age group and already 1200 documented cases of myocardia. Most kids that age don’t even have symptoms.It’s a personal choice either way with risks on both sides, so it should not be dictated by a coach or a school. You can say the lack of effectiveness has no bearing on this case but that doesn’t make it true. Everyone weighs risks and if the vaccine has risks and also may not even be very effective, that comes into play. Coaches that are dictating that kids must get it are setting themselves up for a lawsuit When one of the players has complications from the vaccine.

@baseballhs posted:

I completely disagree. 300 total deaths from Covid in that age group and already 1200 documented cases of myocardia. Most kids that age don’t even have symptoms.It’s a personal choice either way with risks on both sides, so it should not be dictated by a coach or a school. You can say the lack of effectiveness has no bearing on this case but that doesn’t make it true. Everyone weighs risks and if the vaccine has risks and also may not even be very effective, that comes into play. Coaches that are dictating that kids must get it are setting themselves up for a lawsuit When one of the players has complications from the vaccine.

The myriad institutions who are requiring vaccination for participation/attendance have big legal departments. Those departments have weighed potential liability both ways and concluded requirements are the safest course. Might be worth considering why that is.

And nobody thinks that all this was odd that State, who beat Vandy, just happened to get Covid when they was going to play them 2 more times. I guess whoever executed the plan to get State out of Vandy's way was a mastermind and will be well paid. Vandy I'm sure is 100% vaxxed and will not be tested near as much as State was. I guess a tainted championship is more important then standing up for the right thing and winning it outright. Money and kissing ass favorites will always outweigh the truth and fair play.

I would want to know if those who got covid were fully vaccinated. That's 2 weeks after second dose or two weeks after single dose.

I am waiting for the cases to rise in places where teams played.

Going to strange places isn't necessarily safe. Son picked up covid in Bowling Green KY and a player picked up covid in Ruston, LA, the last place NC State was before going to Omaha.

Anything is possible.

@pdogg1 posted:

And that was not planned right.....

How was that planned?

I am a huge ACC fan.  Bottom line is that NCState medical team and coaches as well as players made a choice, so they have to live with it.  We don't know the whole story

Get over it.

The fault lies in the NCAA for not making clear covid protocols.

I feel for the team and their fans.  I was rooting hard for them Friday, and would have been Saturday too. If they had pulled off the upset on Friday it would have been one of the greatest sports stories of all time.  But I'm not sure the NCAA is the villain here, or at least the only villain.  From what's known so far, pending any proof of The Whistler Conspiracy Theory, this is as much on Elliot Avent as it is on anyone else.

Not a good precedent to allow the government or an institution like the ncaa to say if you want to play you must do x, y and z with personal health decisions or politicalbeliefs. The Ncaa has already threatened states that don't line up with them politically to pull ncaa championships from those states.  We are on a slippery slope

Last edited by edcoach

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.