Skip to main content

#1 The coach plays favorites.
#2 I didnt play on the travel team.
#3 The coach doesnt play the best players.
#4 The coach doesnt know who the best players are.
#5 I dont work in the concession stand.
#6 I didnt help with the fundraising.
#7 My son stands up to him.
#8 I stand up to him.
#9 We dont kiss his Azz!
#10 We are the new kid on the block.

#1 Your not the best option.
#2 You dont work as hard as you need to work.
#3 You want something given to you.
#4 Its more important to your dad than it is to you.
#5 You only hustle when you think the coach is watching.
#6 You spend the off season "having fun"?
#7 Your dedicated during the season and then you need a "break".
#8 You love excuses and everyone around you loves to give them to you.
#9 No one has ever told you what you needed to hear only what you wanted to hear.
#10 Its easier to make it someone else's fault instead of yours.

After reading lately all the "Excuse" "Posters" posts lately I thought it was time to spice it up here a little. Too many kids are the greatest thing since sliced bread and then they get to HS and they have to stand on their own two feet and something terribly wrong happens. "EXCUSE TIME" "Those D@#$ COACHES".

Lets see this is what I like "Hard nosed ball players that want to earn it". "Hard azz kids that love the game because they love the game and not because someone is ready to spray them with golden praise perfume". "Kids that hate excuses and those that are standing there ready to give them one".

Soft kids that are wanting someone to give them something. Ready to cry fowl at the drop of a hat. And parents right there to do it for them.

If you think for one minute that Suzy has a prayer of making it in any college program with that attitude enjoy your HS days and forget about playing at the next level.

Tough kids, dedicated kids, disciplined kids with some talent survive and advance. The rest end up with all the excuses. "I could have but the coach @#%^^&*(! Yeah we have all hear that one all too many times have we not?"
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Good post coach!

We all use excuses at one time or another in our lives so I guess you could say it is human nature. But at the same time I find it kind of funny that many of the most famous people in history think of "excuse makers" as rather low on societies food chain. A couple examples

quote:
Ninety-nine percent of all failures come from people who have the habit of making excuses.
George Washington Carver (1864 - 1943)

He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

As parents I think it is overlooked as a trait/habit we try to steer our kids away from, and at the same time it is a trait that kids replicate from mom/dad most often.

Do people here also notice that kids who have the most excuses usually have parents who do also?
Last edited by rz1
My son was injured last year and couldn't play in the field so I have no stake.

The starting 2nd baseman hit .000 for 2/3 of the season, struck out often (To be fair, IMO he was capable of hitting .200) and finished the season with a total of 2 hits, was a slow runner, was hated by the rest of the team, only hustled when the coach was watching, got out of the way of throws to second, and was a friend of the family of the freshman coach.

Funny thing is the freshman coach was a good kid (that may be my bias because he treated my son well) and is going to be a good coach someday.

There were 2 2nd basemen who were clearly better who both hit far better, ran better, fielded better and worked harder. 1 of them is the starter on JV partly because the rest of the team ran the 1st kid off the team during the off season.

Which reason does that fit?

Seems to me like you may be reacting to lots of parent complaints, possibly for a reason.

Tough, hardnosed kids with some talent is an excuse for playing favorites over the more talented kids who do their job, but don't go out of their way to pretend to fit the coach's style of play (suck up).

Did you ever consider that your second list is just a handy set of coach's excuses?

There are good parents, there are bad parents, there are good coaches, there are bad coaches. Most players get the amount of playing time they deserve, but there are those who get less than they deserve and those who get more.

Most of the time I'd go with the coach but there are a few times when the parents have it right.
Last edited by CADad

Got a kick out of these coach...

...but I was wondering, where did you come up with all these?...Geeze, must be real creative...people don't really says this stuff do they?

OK on a more serious note...The only two I have a problem with are these two...

quote:
#5 I dont work in the concession stand. #6 I didnt help with the fundraising.

Are you kidding me?...somebody is "giving away" their starting positions far too cheap...Where we live it has taken either a new tractor, a full landscaping crew, a new batting cage, a seasons worth of team steak BBQues, or a storage shed to get a starting spot...

Cool 44
O44,
I've seen some bias here and there but every time I see a player that other parents claim bought their position it seems to be a player with serious talent. I can remember the parents complaining about a freshman or sophmore catcher starting on varsity but he earned a D1 scholarship. I know of one mom who complained (that's right) because her kid made varsity as a sophmore. She thought the ex-husband who headed the booster club was responsible but the kid could flat out hit and has a shot at playing D1 ball. I realized a long time ago that at our HS if you are going to help out it better be because you want to help not because your kid will get any kind of preference. Right or wrong the coach plays the kids he thinks are the best.
Last edited by CADad

______________________________________________________________________________________________

quote:
Are you kidding me?...somebody is "giving away" their starting positions far too cheap...Where we live it has taken either a new tractor, a full landscaping crew, a new batting cage, a seasons worth of team steak BBQues, or a storage shed to get a starting spot...

______________________________________________________________________________________________

I'll see your storage shed and raise you a gazebo.

44...Believe it or not... since cadKID#2 played for the Santa Cruz Stars for a couple of "roadtrips", I actually think I know who you are talking about...

That's scarey...

How are the Rebels doing?

cadDAD

CaDad I dont react to what parents do I react to what players do. I dont use excuses. I dont like excuses. You seem to think that you know me. You do not. And I dont know you so I do not make judgements about you. I speak from over 25 years of coaching experience. I play the kids that give us the best opportunity to win the game. It is that simple. At least it is to me. Those top 10 reasons are not excuses but reasons.
quote:
Originally posted by AcademyDad:
quote:
Ninety-nine percent of all failures come from people who have the habit of making excuses.
George Washington Carver (1864 - 1943)

Saw a bumper sticker the other day that said:
5/4's Of All People Have Difficulty With Fractions

And Larry the cable guy says

42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot. Big Grin
Last edited by rz1
coach
i'm sure you have heard most all reason's or excuses why something did or didn't happen. in my work we make mistakes from time to time, i've always told my guys to make it right not excuses. the thing that set's you apart is what you do when things go wrong. we all look smart when things are good. you seem to have a handle on coaching,that can only come from experienceing the good and the bad. keep it up coach ,you get it.
quote:
Originally posted by CatSureMom:
So what is the formula for the best nine?

I know a college coach who starts his top nine BA, disregarding work ethic, attitude, RBI, Slg% errors, etc.

Is that the top nine?

I've always thought that was a short term solution. Baseball is a team sport where chemestry plays an important part during a season. With that said beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and what someone may think is the best 9, other may think differently. Bottom line players who give 110%, will usually prevail.
Last edited by rz1
I wish it were always true that the players that give 110% always play.
CPLZ is right. Way too often it is assumed to be the parents or players fault.
It is true that all those excuses happen from time to time.
Most of the horror stories that really DO happen to players are not posted due to privacy issues.
Unfortunately 110% players, the best 1 or the 1 best, the players whose parents never say a single word, the player that never gives anyone, any trouble does not play. They don't wish it was easier, they know they're better, they usually become mentally stronger for the next level. Yup, the winner, the best 1 or the 1 best, will eventually win...just not for the moronic coach who sat him.
I am NOT saying that all coaches are moronic...the vast majority are smart, giving and fair people.
But they happen. At ALL levels.
I wish it were true that players that gave 110%(still not sure how you do that)were better than the one giving 95%. Way too often it is assumed to be the coaches' fault. It is true that those excuses happen form time to time. Most of the horror stories that really do happen to coaches are not posted due to privacy. Unfortunately the 50% player's parents rant and rave. They constanly whine and complain. The winners will win at the next level and the parents and players will continue to whine and make excuses no matter what the next level is. I am not saying all parents are moronic....the vast majority are smart, giving, and fair people.
Last edited by d8

Actually, I was just joking...

…sort of...

At heart, and by desire, I am an idealist - Play ability only...You go Coach May!!

But I am also an observer of reality...and as a result a certified cynic.

And while I would like to think I hold a very even keel and look at things dispassionately... I have observed...

...scorekeeper bias..."friends of the program" bias...relative/bloodline bias...media bias...geography bias...bbque bias...height bias..."look" bias...tractor bias…”forget the average hit for the fences only” bias…big school bias...travel team bias...anti-brother bias….summer bias...storage shed bias…big man bias…handedness bias…anti-height bias…Grandfathered in bias…one sport bias…”gonna save this kid” bias…hair bias…new kid bias…anti grade bias…”ride-the kid-until-he-screams-and-then-hate-him-for-it” bias…transportation bias…shoe size bias…

AND…

”big time-in-your-face-anti OB44” Bias…(EGAD!)…

And yes, some Ability Bias thrown in....thank God!

But it’s all good..because that’s my bias…it’s all good…

The bad news is that bias is a human characteristic, and so is whining...and it is not going away…and it is not limited to youth ball or High school…

That all being said….The really good news (I have said this before) is that the solutions are not easy but simple...quit whining and use that energy to get off "the bubble". This means that you elevate your talent to the point that you are no longer a reed blowing in the winds of political process. Winners look for solutions, elevate themselves long term and ride out petty short term issues…(good post CatSureMom....makes 'em mentally stronger)

More good news…There are people out there who do truly value ability and execution, stop whining, work hard…

…you must be absolutely ready when you DO meet them…

…there is little time…get to work…

Cool 44
Last edited by observer44
I feel this post needs some balance as it has turned into a sort of love fest for coaches. Coaches, just as parents, are just a representative cross section of society. There are good ones, mediocre ones, harmless ones, and downright terrible ones. Too much proof exists that the terrible ones do not get weeded out over time as long as they have the political savvy to hold thier job...that's right job. As a job, they should be and are subject to the same criticism that any paid employee is attributed. Because the product in question is more passionate than money, that perspective often is skewed by the critic (parent).

This is not sour grapes, as my son is the #1 and has signed D1. However I have witnessed many of the problems coach May seems to dismiss as fantasy created by parents/players. Favortisim, adult relationships between coaches/parents, coaching agendas, they all are real.

There is a saying, "stereotypes were not created without a reason". That applies as much to coaches as it does to parents.
You are right......so maybe this should be a new catch phrase.

Your son is hitting .147 after 19 games. The lowest on the team. So, stop complaining about playing time........Then again, it prob. the coaches fault for trying to change something in your son's swing that caused him not to hit. That too would be a reason and not an excuse according to some.
Nice post OB44 and very true. Good to keep healthy perspective. The young man I have in mind has never whined a day in his life, neither have his parents. Knows the FCA creed by heart and lives it each and every day/game. He and his family show total respect to every coach he's every come in contact with...including the one that is "luck" biased.
Sorry, I take it personal when someone on here says I am not good at my job. That's right it is my job, and that is right I can make make improvements. Yesterday we altered a drill because of a suggestion from a player. Come by the clubhouse and talk about baseball all day with me. It is my job, hobby, and passion all rolled into one. I consider myself lucky to get to put on the uni and go to the field everyday. Some would pay to get to do that. If most parents would actually sit down and talk to the coach and learn(yes, learn) what is being taught and why, I think there would be fewer problems. Again, just standing up for my profession. I am out.
Last edited by d8
Coach May, You seem to be a good man and a good coach. I am absolutely not saying that all or even close to all decisions a coach makes are right or wrong. I was simply stating it happens. Bad, no...very bad decisions are made (coaching). It is a far worse decision for a parent or player to whine or complain. I am doing neither.
My own personal experience is that son has had some great coaches and some not so great coaches. He never, ever complained and we never, ever said anything other than "hello" to the coaches. Son makes his own decisions...and so far has always taken the high road.
Hopefully d8 will too.
This thread is starting to take sides and I don't think it has to be that way.

Are there parents who wear rose colored glasses and are the biggest complainers? Yes - we have all run across them.

Should some coaches be doing something else? You bet.

Those are the extreme cases. We don't need to argue those points because we all know they exist.

One thing parents try and do sometimes is project their kids into the hs starting lineup based off of summer/travel team experiences. Our high school had several summer teams funnel into it thus the freshman team was a composite of those teams. Should one of the summer team coaches be the final arbiter of who should play and who should sit? How do the parents know exactly who should be playing and who should be sitting?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.