Skip to main content

Years ago at Michigan State our Assistant Coach "Frank" was "stats" person, could not teach but keep great "Stats". His claim to fame was a 7 year analysis of pitchers.

MSU won the games where the pitchers average 14.4 pitches per inning. It worked the MSU team that year with all three Football team QB [Rose Bowl players] playing won the Big 10 and entered the College World Series.

Later at a College Coaching Convention, Nolan Ryan addressed 1,000 college coach's and stated that if the opposing teams could force Nolan to pitch over 14 pitches per inning in the 1st 3 innings, they could beat Nolan in the 7th inning. Nolan was a "inning eater".

Bob
PS: my best STAT is RBI's per time at bat [1 for 6 ab is outstanding]
quote:
Originally posted by AntzDad:
stats4gnats, do you follow players' (pitchers') numbers beyond high school?

No I don’t, and the reason is simple. Until players get to the pros, there aren’t many people tracking the things I do and am interested in. FI, on what I was talking about earlier, where do I find data about pitches thrown with runners on for all college baseball. Data storage and tracking is much better in college, but still it’s a **** shoot whether or not many detailed data is available. Some conferences are better than others, but what’s tracked at the NCAA, NAIA, or national JUCO level are really little more than the same stats kept in LL.

Things are getting better, but the amount of data is staggering, and the mechanism that must be put in place to handle it is really unbelievable.

I’ve been thinking about offering my service to one of the local colleges, but for right now the cost of travel would be staggering too. I scored home games for my son’s JUCO team one year and all games the next, and the 70 mile trip for home games was bad enough, but some of the games were 250 miles away, and they barely had enough money to move the team, let alone a scorer. And that was when I was in my mid-50’s. Now I’m in my mid-60’s and all that travel is really difficult as well as expensive.

Do you have a reason for asking?
RBI’s per Time At Bat eh? Not RBI’s per PA, but AB. I’ll keep it in mind the next time I’m doing a little data mining. Wink

The only college program I’ve ever seen that had data on the level I’m talking about was Stanford. I’ve talked to a statistics professor who was there a couple decades back and with the help of the coach and AD, was granted access to every bit of their data for a doctoral undertaking. The result was a piece of software called Chartmine, and it was an absolute killer. Quite a few major colleges used it, and I understand a few pro clubs used it as well.

Its since gone the way of most other software created that long ago, but some of the things the software did, and papers written based on the data it manipulated are pretty awesome.

Now-a-days more and more programs are going to the new software running around and are generating quite a lot of good data, but as far as I know, there’s no central storage location or criteria.
quote:
Originally posted by Stats4Gnats:
Do you have a reason for asking?

Yes, just curious if you follow players you have seen in person at the next level- not all of them of course. maybe, just those you are most familiar with. Like, do the pitchers who regularly throw over 100 pitches per outing in hs continue to do so in college... are they more likely to develop arm injuries... no difference... not enough data to make conclusions... 'it depends'... Smile

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.