Skip to main content

So, it looks like it will be a crazy yet fabulous season! New era GC, OC, and Gonzaga showing they are going to compete.

SSSA is a punching bag for WCAC teams.

Ireton improved.

PVI has to get focused or they will find themselves in trouble against a very deep WCAC. Not that they should run away with the championship, but they should be a frontrunner.

DM should also be better than they showed against OC.

I am just surprised by GC. I thought they'd take a breather with a new coach and a ton of new starters. But that school has attracted the cream of the crop of MD talent.

Gonzaga is going to be a very interesting team to watch.
quote:
Originally posted by gamefan:
So, quite a start:
OC over DM - tons of runs in 4 games
GZ over BI - 3 grandslams in 2 games by 3 different hitters
GC shut out PVI - Doherty hitting the spots

GC's Doherty was very impressive. The fact that GC lost so much talent from last year and is still playing that well is equally impressive.
Only scores I know from the weekend are:

Ireton over Liberty Christian 4-0
DeMatha beat Ryken 8-1
PVI over Calvert Hall 5-4
Lake Braddock over PVI 9-5
Good Counsel over Atlantic Shores 4-3

I saw the DeMatha game. They looked a lot better than when I saw them play against O'Connell. I saw the LB/PVI game, but missed the Calvert Hall/PVI game. Defense lost the LB game for PVI. PVI should have won that game. Was told that PVI won the Calvert Hall game in the 7th on consecutive hits by Veeder, Alger and Bitto.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by WCACFAN:
Only scores I know from the weekend are:

Ireton over Liberty Christian 4-0
DeMatha beat Ryken 8-1
PVI over Calvert Hall 5-4
Lake Braddock over PVI 9-5
Good Counsel over Atlantic Shores 4-3

I saw the DeMatha game. They looked a lot better than when I saw them play against O'Connell. I saw the LB/PVI game, but missed the Calvert Hall/PVI game. Defense lost the LB game for PVI. PVI should have won that game. Was told that PVI won the Calvert Hall game in the 7th on consecutive hits by Veeder, Alger and Bitto.[/QUOTE

I would agree that PVI's defense did not help their cause, but LB is a very good team and they earned that win.
Yes, SJC-GC should be good. GC has given up only 2 runs in 4 WCAC games.

Today another well played game: McNamara 4 PVI 2.

Alger hit a 2-run HR to put PVI up in top 5th, but McNamara answered with 3 in bottom of 5th. Connor Hax pitched complete game for McN and had the decisive 2-run single. Kidd and Aker pitched well for PVI, but McNamara's first 5 hitters are tough outs.
It was one of the quietest Baseball games, I have ever seen and been too, and especially the WCAC.

Nick Howard's 7th inning heroics at the plate and on the bump were impressive. The five GC errors and GC relief pitches were not.

GC SP K. Doherty got thru his four innings of work. SP B Boyd kept St. Johns in the game, yet yielded three HR thru six.

I was unaware that the WCAC uses the juiced up last year bats, and is the primary reason why the baseball was leaving the GC short porches!

GC Kyle Hamby may turn out to be one of the strongest hitters in the WCAC this year.

It's tough to be ahead in a ball game for most of the game, which GC was. St. John's suicide squeeze in the top of the sixth was botched, yet the correct call by the home plate ump was not agreed to by all the Gibbs. Interesting though, how Lauren Sarbacher did not miss a call all day! Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Bear:
It was one of the quietest Baseball games, I have ever seen and been too, and especially the WCAC.

Nick Howard's 7th inning heroics at the plate and on the bump were impressive. The five GC errors and GC relief pitches were not.

GC SP K. Doherty got thru his four innings of work. SP B Boyd kept St. Johns in the game, yet yielded three HR thru six.

I was unaware that the WCAC uses the juiced up last year bats, and is the primary reason why the baseball was leaving the GC short porches!

GC Kyle Hamby may turn out to be one of the strongest hitters in the WCAC this year.

It's tough to be ahead in a ball game for most of the game, which GC was. St. John's suicide squeeze in the top of the sixth was botched, yet the correct call by the home plate ump was not agreed to by all the Gibbs. Interesting though, how Lauren Sarbacher did not miss a call all day! Smile

RE: the bats...WCAC VA games will use the newly restricted bats. My understanding is the DC and MD team must use restricted bats while playing in VA.
quote:
Originally posted by getagoodpitchtohit:
Why would one of the top conferences in country NOT use the same bat rectrictions as the rest of the high schools in the country? (With the exception of California, which is even more restrictive.)

The WCAC spans MD, DC and VA...VA adopted the rule, MD and DC didn't. That's all I know.
OK, I got it now.

CA, TN, & VA are using the 2011 NCAA bat restrictions (which will also become the 2012 NFHS bat restrictions).

The rest of the country is using the 2011 NFHS bat restrictions for this season only. (This is basically the 2010 NCAA bat restrictions.)

The NCAA has lead the parade on bat restrictions with a 2 year phase in. NFHS is doing the same, only 1 year behind. Unlike the NCAA and the high schools in the rest of the country, CA, TN, & VA skipped straight to the ultimate restrictions.

As of 2012 season all colleges and high schools will be under the same bat restrictions.
It's gotten a little quiet here. WCAC is interesting this year. I thought it might be the SJ show this year, but the last week has shown some big changes. Gonzaga punches out GC. I would never have predicted that after the hot season start GC got off on. St. Johns is still tough and will be super hard to beat. Dematha is a good team too and had an impressive week last week. How about Ryken putting up 18 runs on Ireton? PVI has made a bit of a move. They played 3 ranked teams in the area last week. They won 2 of them and only gave up a total of 2 runs in the 3 games. I still like O'Connell, but pitching wil be an issue. McNamara will still be a factor. Lots to like!!
Best season in the last 5 for the WCAC. Almost any team could win the tournament. Pitching depth will end up being the difference. Not sure PVI's is at the level that the recruiting results would suggest. If, for example, McNamara roughs up a Cal State Fullerton signee, either McNamara is really, really good, or the signing may have been a reach? Honestly, have the coaches worked wonders at McNamara or what? That program, four years ago, was a mess. The varsity team was not as good as many WCAC JV teams. Now look at them. Beating up my pick to win the darned league!

GC, StJ, DM, OC, Gonz, and PVI are all contenders for the championship.

I think BI has an upset or two lurking in them. They should have beaten PVI, losing only in extras, 2-1. When Hagenston and Guttman are on, they are tough to beat.

Great season. I'd be very happy if it ended up really crazy--maybe Gonzaga upsetting everyone in the tournament to win. Doubtful. But fun to think about.
Some great contests so far throughout the league. DeMatha and St. John's look real strong and O'Connell can sure swing the bats. I agree with the assessment of McNamara (they play hard and smart) and their first 5 hitters are tough and they have 3 lefties on the mound who all can be effective.

Gonzaga played well against GC on Monday's 6-3 win. They strung together RBI hits by Hardardt, Williams and Davis to jump up 3-0 in the first. Rudnicki hit a HR in the 2nd and GZ tacked on another run in the 3rd to take a 5-0 lead. Vaglica came on in relief for GC and shut down Gzga for 3-4 innings to give GC a chance to climb back. But, excellent pitching throughout by Gonzaga's Patrick Cooney (4.2) and Nate Flagg (2.1) and timely defense in key situations provided the difference.
quote:
Originally posted by rhobbs:
Best season in the last 5 for the WCAC. Almost any team could win the tournament. Pitching depth will end up being the difference. Not sure PVI's is at the level that the recruiting results would suggest. If, for example, McNamara roughs up a Cal State Fullerton signee, either McNamara is really, really good, or the signing may have been a reach? Honestly, have the coaches worked wonders at McNamara or what? That program, four years ago, was a mess. The varsity team was not as good as many WCAC JV teams. Now look at them. Beating up my pick to win the darned league!

I think BI has an upset or two lurking in them. They should have beaten PVI, losing only in extras, 2-1. When Hagenston and Guttman are on, they are tough to beat.

Great season. I'd be very happy if it ended up really crazy--maybe Gonzaga upsetting everyone in the tournament to win. Doubtful. But fun to think about.

Not taking anything away from McNamara, because they are tough and very much improved, but the PVI pitcher you speak of pitched very well...5-6 errors and horrific base running is what did in PVI that day.
Last edited by dblemup
quote:

If I were PVI, I don't think I would care if my Cal State Fullerton signee is good enough to compete at Cal State. I just care if he can win games in the WCAC. Who cares what he does in college. I just looked at PVI's schedule and in the last 4 games they have given up a total of 2 runs. In those 4 games they played Dematha, St Johns, O'Connell and Ryken. I saw the first 3 games and PVI pitched Veeder, Garner and Biddo. I don't know who they threw yesterday. Don't know if that lasts, but that sounds pretty deep.
quote:
Originally posted by WCACFAN:
quote:

If I were PVI, I don't think I would care if my Cal State Fullerton signee is good enough to compete at Cal State. I just care if he can win games in the WCAC. Who cares what he does in college. I just looked at PVI's schedule and in the last 4 games they have given up a total of 2 runs. In those 4 games they played Dematha, St Johns, O'Connell and Ryken. I saw the first 3 games and PVI pitched Veeder, Garner and Biddo. I don't know who they threw yesterday. Don't know if that lasts, but that sounds pretty deep.

But I still pick St Johns to win it! Smile

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.