Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by dblemup:

Gonzaga is a very solid squad that hits the ball very well. The Spaulding game was meaningless and they saved their top pitchers for last night's game and the playoffs which start on Saturday.

WCAC is as strong as ever.

Agree the game was meaningless, but that was for both sides. Spalding pitcher 1st ever start, maybe 5 innings in career, and they also sat starters. Gonzaga is a good team, but perhaps credit is due. With #1 seed, my pick is GC, PVI 2nd.
quote:
Originally posted by all322:
quote:
Originally posted by dblemup:

Gonzaga is a very solid squad that hits the ball very well. The Spaulding game was meaningless and they saved their top pitchers for last night's game and the playoffs which start on Saturday.

WCAC is as strong as ever.

Agree the game was meaningless, but that was for both sides. Spalding pitcher 1st ever start, maybe 5 innings in career, and they also sat starters. Gonzaga is a good team, but perhaps credit is due. With #1 seed, my pick is GC, PVI 2nd.

I wasn't attempting to take anything away from Spaulding. I don't know much about them this season, but they are usually very good. Gonzaga isn't real deep, so when they sit starters it affects them more than most.
Last edited by dblemup
Can anybody confirm the WCAC Playoff schedule
and potential teams.

And big bucks gate fees for WCAC championship games
at Shipley.
Remember to include College Park Rt 1 traffic photo for traveling over designated 30 mph & four lane highway. (& with $60 fines!)

I see only the top four seeds in DCSportsfan
1. Good Counsel (great coin flip)
2. Dematha
3. Gonzaga
4. O'Connell

-----
5. St Johns
6. Paul VI
7. McNamara
8. St Mary's

5/5/2011
WCAC Quarter-finals Saturday, May 7th 3:00 P.M.
maybe (2) DeMatha vs. (7) McNamara ?

In 2011 does
(1) vs (8)
(3) vs (6)
(4 vs (5)

Looks like semi-finals are best of three, with Championship is also best of three with potential DH Saturday for Title.

Potential for back to back to back games, namely seven games over eight days!

Managing rotation, pitching arms and bull pens will be challenging.

In other words, what brain challenged administrator got this format approved.

Calculating with a three man HS rotation, (and with one scheduled raindate), a questionable but doable 16 1/3 innings each (out of 7 games / 49 innings) over an eight day span.

#1 starts with Bull pen committee for Sat Quarter final

#2 on Mon Semi Final
#3 on Tue Semi Final
#1 on Wed Semi Final (if necessary)

#2 starts Fri C-Ship game,
#3 starts Sat C-Ship 1st game of DH &
#1 starts Sat Final C-Ship DH (if necessary).

(I know I would be training / seeking a set up and closer guy all year or something typical to this. Especially a LOOGY arm, maybe two!)

Semi-finals:

Game 1 - Monday, May 9 at the higher seed home field. Time TBD

Game 2 - Tuesday, May 10 at the lower seed home field. Time TBD

Game 3 - Wednesday, May 11 (if necessary) at higher seed home field. Time TBD

CHAMPIONSHIP:

All games will be played on Shipley Field at the University of Maryland Gate Fee:

Friday and Saturday - $10.00/Each Day
All fans will have to pay both Friday and Saturday but will only pay once if there are two games on Saturday

Game 1 - Friday, May 13, 2011 7:00 P.M.
Higher seed is the Home Team

Game 2 - Saturday, May 14, 2011 12:00 P.M.
Lower seed is the Home Team

Game 3 - (if necessary) Saturday, May 14, 2011 at 3:00 P.M.
Higher seed is the Home team

Sunday, May 15, 2011 Rain Date
Last edited by Bear
Below is the schedule copied-and-pasted from DCSportsfan. I'm assuming it's right, but I haven't heard anything from more direct sources.

I agree with Bear about the playoff format. When I first heard about it at the beginning of the season, I thought it sounded fair, but now the worried mom in me is thinking that everyone's arms are hurting and this is just going to force more kids to throw more innings, and it's just not worth it. Maybe they should have stopped the season a week early with this format. Fingers crossed that everyone remains healthy.

2011 WCAC Baseball Tournament

Quarterfinals, Saturday May 7
#1 Good Counsel vs. #8 St. Mary’s Ryken at Good Counsel 2:00
#2 DeMatha vs. #7 McNamara at Riverdale 3:00
#3 Gonzaga vs. #6 Paul VI at Hamilton Field 3:00
#4 O’Connell vs. #5 St. John’s at O’Connell 3:00

Semi-Finals, May 9, 10, 11
Best out of three – First game at higher seed/second game at lower seed/third game, if necessary at higher seed
1 v 8 winner vs. 4 v 5 winner
2 v 7 winner vs. 3 v 6 winner

Championship at Maryland – Shipley Field
May 13 7:00pm
May 14 12:00noon and 3:00pm if necessary
Best out of three – higher seed is the home team for all games
Gonzaga will face DeMatha. Gz and PVI battled for 7, but Gonzaga came out on top 12-11. Gz gave up 6 runs in the first on 3 costly errors but the hits kept coming.

DeMatha eeked out against Macnamara who went head to head with the stags, but lost in the 8th, 9-8.

O'Connell surrendered to St. Johns 17-2.

Good Counsel beats Ryken 5-3.

Games continue on Monday. Gonzaga at Dematha. St Johns at Good Counsel for best of 3.
Is this a WCAC DC vs WCAC MD show?

Semi-Finals, May 9, 10, 11

Semi's Top Seed MD vs DC
G1 Good Counsel (H) vs. St. Johns Mon May 9, 16:30
G2 St. Johns (H) vs Good Counsel Tue May 10 16:30
G3 if necessary at Good Counsel Wed May 11 16:30

Semi's 2nd Seed MD vs DC
G1 DeMatha (H) vs. Gonzaga Mon May 9, 16:30
G2 Gonzaga (H) vs DeMatha Tue May 10 16:30
G3 if necessary at DeMatha Wed May 11 16:30

Yes.

WCAC's 'Ship Finals at Shipley
Fri May 13 19:00
Sat May 14 12:00 noon
Sat May 14 15:00 if necessary
Best out of three –

Great spectator game DeMatha & McNamara
Last edited by Bear
It's been a great year for the WCAC, with anyone capable of beating anyone on any give night. Yes, I include BI, SMR, and McNamara in there.

I am shocked that PVI did not get past the first round. I cannot explain giving up 12 runs to Gonzaga. And O'Connell disappoints, as well, since they crushed teams this year when they were on.

Any of the four team remaining can win it. I thought pitching depth would be the key, but maybe it's hot bats that matter most?

Can anyone explain how PVI, with 5 Div I signees and bunch of other good players, did not perform better this year? This was a team that was supposed to be as good as the 2008s, or close to it. As it turns out, the 2009 team and even the 2010 team were much better. Hard to understand.
quote:
Originally posted by isaacvanwart:
It's been a great year for the WCAC, with anyone capable of beating anyone on any give night. Yes, I include BI, SMR, and McNamara in there.

I am shocked that PVI did not get past the first round. I cannot explain giving up 12 runs to Gonzaga. And O'Connell disappoints, as well, since they crushed teams this year when they were on.

Any of the four team remaining can win it. I thought pitching depth would be the key, but maybe it's hot bats that matter most?

Can anyone explain how PVI, with 5 Div I signees and bunch of other good players, did not perform better this year? This was a team that was supposed to be as good as the 2008s, or close to it. As it turns out, the 2009 team and even the 2010 team were much better. Hard to understand.

After seeing most of the PVI games, it is pretty simple...the pitching, outside a few games, was very good. Consistant hitting and defense was not there. Playing against WCAC competition, and a hearty non-conference schedule, does not allow a team not performing in all 3 areas to succeed.
Last edited by dblemup
Isaac - Where have you been? How can you be shocked that PVI lost to Gonzaga who has been hitting against all teams except Dematha (unfortunately.) Against OC, Gonzaga came back from 8-0 to win 19-9.
I'll explain giving up 12 runs: Gonzaga hit against those Div 1 signees who were not having their best showing. When Gonzaga plays clean defense, and hits, they win. Sadly, they haven't been able to string it together against Dematha. Doesn't mean they can't....just means they haven't.
quote:
Originally posted by justakid:
Isaac - Where have you been? How can you be shocked that PVI lost to Gonzaga who has been hitting against all teams except Dematha (unfortunately.) Against OC, Gonzaga came back from 8-0 to win 19-9.
I'll explain giving up 12 runs: Gonzaga hit against those Div 1 signees who were not having their best showing. When Gonzaga plays clean defense, and hits, they win. Sadly, they haven't been able to string it together against Dematha. Doesn't mean they can't....just means they haven't.

Of the 12 runs scored, 8 were earned and 1 of those was tagged out at 3B (1st inning), but the call was missed. 6 of those 8 earned runs came off 2 pitchers (1st pitcher was Bitto, who is not signed to play baseball as of yet and was 5-0 coming into the game...2nd pitcher was Garner who got knocked around, but he has been exceptional all year), Kidd gave up an HR, Veeder gave up a couple of hits and a run and Aker struck out the only batter he faced.

Gonzaga did hit the ball very well, as did PVI. Keep in mind Gonzaga pitchers gave up 11 runs, including a 3 run HR (Aker, who also had an RBI 2B) and a 2 run HR (Alger). Errors on both sides, and some very questionable umpire calls (affecting both teams) made for a ton of runs.

Just my opinion, but Gonzaga does hit the ball well enough to win against anyone, their defense is below average and they don't have the pitching to hang with DeMatha. DeMatha is loaded with arms. That said, I'd love to see Gonzaga get past DM. Alot of good kids on the GZ squad.
Doublemup .....

Gonzaga's Williams and Davis hit 2 HRS.
Harrington had two doubles and then a single off Kidd.
Davis hit another double as well.
Didn't necessarily see Garner get knocked around - he just gave up a HR.
multiple other singles by GZ throughout the days.

Gonzaga's infield turned 3-4 double plays against you guys in a single game a week ago ...

I am at a loss for your comments...sounds like sour grapes to me....
quote:
Originally posted by baseball1227:
Doublemup .....

Gonzaga's Williams and Davis hit 2 HRS.
Harrington had two doubles and then a single off Kidd.
Davis hit another double as well.
Didn't necessarily see Garner get knocked around - he just gave up a HR.
multiple other singles by GZ throughout the days.

Gonzaga's infield turned 3-4 double plays against you guys in a single game a week ago ...

I am at a loss for your comments...sounds like sour grapes to me....

No sour grapes at all. PVI got beat. Both teams had multiple errors. Both teams got hurt by bad calls. That is exactly what I wrote.

At game's end. The GZ scoreboard had an equal amount of hits posted for both, 5 errors for GZ and 4 for PVI and GZ had 1 more run. GZ wins.

5 errors = well below average, as does 4 errors.

I qualified my statement about GZ's defense as "just my opinion". If you want to think their defense is all-world, have at it. That would be your opinion, to which you are entitled.

A team can turn 100 DP's and still not be good defensively...just ask PVI and Dematha, both inconsistant as well. And the DP's you are referring to didn't happen in this game.

Are you saying Williams and Davis hit 2 HRs each? If so, I missed 1 or 2.

I gave GZ players props and complimented their offense. They are not a good defensive team, just like several other WCAC teams and it hurts them...just as justakid, and others, have pointed out. You can't blame losses and runs on errors, then claim to be good defensively.

And there is no comparison to GZ's pitchers and DM's pitchers...come on. I'm not knocking them. It is a fact. DeMatha's pitchers have had the most success this season and they score a ton of runs.

I even said I hope they get past DM.
Last edited by dblemup
Good luck to St. John'a and DeMatha

Having said that and with all due respect, dblemup -5 errors in one game does not constitute below average defense for a season. Cheap shot - how many GZ games did you see this season? I've seen many a teams in VA, MD, and DC have too many errors in an inning and a game - it happens, and it has happened to some of the best defensive teams in the area. I'd like to give the kids the benefit of the doubt. But what bothers me is you lost the game, made excuses and lodged criticisms at players that played their hearts out all season...including an off the mark comment about someone on your own team. Let the players enjoy the win.

To clarify your statement about me --I never made an excuse for any loss, runs, etc... No excuses. Moreover, I never claimed they were "all-world" so let's tone done the rhetoric please. I've said they have played solid and reliable defense -which they did for the most part. They split the wins with St.J, OC, beat GC (twice) and PVI 3 out of the 4 times they played each other (that includes the rain game of 4 1/2 innings.)

Again, and to set the record straight I never made any comparisons between Dematha and Gonzaga's pitchers- I said Gonzaga's pitchers did the job against PVI! Pat Lynn gave up one run I believe in two innings and Joe Harrington came in for the save - no runs. They did it with the help of their teammates!

It has been a great season and we've had some wonderful times watching the boys play. Hope the boys still playing finish strong - wish we were there!

2 HRs total
Williams - 1 HR
Davis 1 HR
quote:
Good luck to St. John'a and DeMatha

Having said that and with all due respect, dblemup -5 errors in one game does not constitute below average defense for a season. Cheap shot - how many GZ games did you see this season? I've seen many a teams in VA, MD, and DC have too many errors in an inning and a game - it happens, and it has happened to some of the best defensive teams in the area. I'd like to give the kids the benefit of the doubt. But what bothers me is you lost the game, made excuses and lodged criticisms at players that played their hearts out all season...including an off the mark comment about someone on your own team. Let the players enjoy the win.

To clarify your statement about me --I never made an excuse for any loss, runs, etc... No excuses. Moreover, I never claimed they were "all-world" so let's tone done the rhetoric please. I've said they have played solid and reliable defense -which they did for the most part. They split the wins with St.J, OC, beat GC (twice) and PVI 3 out of the 4 times they played each other (that includes the rain game of 4 1/2 innings.)

Again, and to set the record straight I never made any comparisons between Dematha and Gonzaga's pitchers- I said Gonzaga's pitchers did the job against PVI! Pat Lynn gave up one run I believe in two innings and Joe Harrington came in for the save - no runs. They did it with the help of their teammates!

It has been a great season and we've had some wonderful times watching the boys play. Hope the boys still playing finish strong - wish we were there!

2 HRs total
Williams - 1 HR
Davis 1 HR

I'll address your issues in order...even though it won't satisfy your need to only hear kudos for GZ.

Cheap shot? I gave my opinion, not only about GZ's defensive prowess, but also PVI's, and DM's. I base this opinion on seeing all these teams multiple times over the past 3+ WCAC seasons, seeing many of these same players during summer and fall games and I look at their individual "actions" (how they approach the position/ball, arm and foot actions, etc.). Plus, I didn't, and wouldn't, single out any individual player on their shortcomings. While I am a parent, I have played at a reasonble high level and have coached baseball for 12+ years and continue to do so. Not claiming to be an expert, but I know more about technique, approach and skill level than most (and admitting I am big dummy in alot of other areas). Again, I stated my opinion. Disagree if you'd like. I stand by it.

I gave GZ all the credit for the win, complimented their hitting, said there were alot of good kids on the team and even said I was hoping they'd get past DM to get the the C-ship round. GZ and PVI had equal amount of hits, close in the error category and both got hurt by bad calls...GZ ended the game with 1 more run and the win.

I didn't lodge critisms at a PVI player. I pointed out that he didn't have his best outing, which is exactly what he told me after the game, as did a couple others. That young man is one of my favorite kids on the planet. He knows me and he knows what I think about him as a player and an individual. He also knows I will give my honest assessment and not blow smoke up your skirt. Every pitcher on PVI got touched up abit that day. They know it. No need to baby them.

The GZ and DM pitcing comparison was made by me, after all the talk about GZ's pitching, by another poster. I was merely pointing out that DM has vastly more depth in that area.

Exactly what excuses did I make? I merely pointed to another poster's talk of unearned runs by PVI...GZ had their share of unearned runs as well. That is a fact. On that day, both defenses were not good and it lead to 12-11 game. Had it been well played, the score should have been in the 7-6ish range, with GZ probably still ending out on top.

GZ beat PVI 2 of 3 games, not 3 of 4.

Additionally, throughout my posts on this subject I gave GZ compliments and wished them well. I know several personally and have told them that. Clearly not to your satifaction, but I did none the less. While you have maintained tunnel vision on GZ only. While far from perfect, the PVI boys played hard and hit it well too.
Dblemup - your certainly entitled to your opinion, and commend your for all your baseball experience. I recall the game a little differently...and correct me if I am wrong.

I'll quote "...2nd pitcher was Garner who got knocked around, but he has been exceptional all year), Kidd gave up an HR, Veeder gave up a couple of hits and a run and Aker struck out the only batter he faced."

Garner didn't get "knocked around" any more than any other pitcher.Veeder and Aker both gave up doubles in the 6th inning -tying and game winning run. C'mon ....
quote:
Dblemup - your certainly entitled to your opinion, and commend your for all your baseball experience. I recall the game a little differently...and correct me if I am wrong.

I'll quote "...2nd pitcher was Garner who got knocked around, but he has been exceptional all year), Kidd gave up an HR, Veeder gave up a couple of hits and a run and Aker struck out the only batter he faced."

Garner didn't get "knocked around" any more than any other pitcher.Veeder and Aker both gave up doubles in the 6th inning -tying and game winning run. C'mon ....

The only reason I even mentioned the name is he pitched longer than the others you mentioned and gave up more than he usually does. He has been PVI's best pitcher for the past 2 seasons, along with Bitto for much of this season. It was unusual for him....was my point.
WCAC Baseball All Conference Team

First Team
PitchersJonathan Bitto Senior Paul VI
Zack Morris Senior DeMatha
Kevin Doherty Junior Good Counsel

InField Michael Katz Senior O’Connell
Nick Howard Senior St. John’s
Luke Higgins Senior DeMatha
Lansing Veeder Senior Paul VI

OutfieldBobby Boyd Senior St. John’s
Ryan Burbrink Senior DeMatha
James Essex Senior O’Connell