Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by WCACFAN:
quote:
Originally posted by WCACFAN:
quote:
Originally posted by rhobbs:
Best season in the last 5 for the WCAC. Almost any team could win the tournament. Pitching depth will end up being the difference. Not sure PVI's is at the level that the recruiting results would suggest. If, for example, McNamara roughs up a Cal State Fullerton signee, either McNamara is really, really good, or the signing may have been a reach? Honestly, have the coaches worked wonders at McNamara or what? That program, four years ago, was a mess. The varsity team was not as good as many WCAC JV teams. Now look at them. Beating up my pick to win the darned league!

GC, StJ, DM, OC, Gonz, and PVI are all contenders for the championship.

I think BI has an upset or two lurking in them. They should have beaten PVI, losing only in extras, 2-1. When Hagenston and Guttman are on, they are tough to beat.

Great season. I'd be very happy if it ended up really crazy--maybe Gonzaga upsetting everyone in the tournament to win. Doubtful. But fun to think about.

If I were PVI, I don't think I would care if my Cal State Fullerton signee is good enough to compete at Cal State. I just care if he can win games in the WCAC. Who cares what he does in college. I just looked at PVI's schedule and in the last 4 games they have given up a total of 2 runs. In those 4 games they played Dematha, St Johns, O'Connell and Ryken. I saw the first 3 games and PVI pitched Veeder, Garner and Biddo. I don't know who they threw yesterday. Don't know if that lasts, but that sounds pretty deep.

But I still pick St Johns to win it! Smile

YES...you can...just don't do it DCSportsfan...hahaha
Without a doubt PVI has the pitching depth to win the WCAC championships, and the tournament with the new format.....my prediction early on. But St. John's and Dematha are solid all the way around, and well coached. St. John's can manufacture runs with ease and are flawless in the field. O'Connell can hit, and Good Counsel is very, very good. Gonzaga is a very solid team, defensively and offensively, as well. Ireton is talented,and well coached, just young. PVI, St. John's, and Dematha are most definitely the frontrunners for the WCAC title, and I would give the edge to PVI for the tournament because of its pitching depth and experience. Having said that, almost any other team can be a contender or a spoiler. It is an incredibly strong conference, and there are few easy wins.
PVI seems to be on a run and may have fallen into their expected groove. O'Connell and Katz threw their 'kitchen sink' against PVI, but PVI seemed to be very s******. Robett's home run was a back breaker against the O. Biddo (I think it is Bitto) pitched great with great control with great location. Heck he struck out player of the year Katz at his last at bat. I don't know that Biddo was in PVIs top pitchers at the start with Cal-guy, Veeder, Frezza, Aiker, etc.
quote:
Originally posted by qzzn9r:
PVI seems to be on a run and may have fallen into their expected groove. O'Connell and Katz threw their 'kitchen sink' against PVI, but PVI seemed to be very s******. Robett's home run was a back breaker against the O. Biddo (I think it is Bitto) pitched great with great control with great location. Heck he struck out player of the year Katz at his last at bat. I don't know that Biddo was in PVIs top pitchers at the start with Cal-guy, Veeder, Frezza, Aiker, etc.

Not sure I'd call 3 straight wins "a run", but it is certainly better than losing them...Smile) Still alot of tough games to go for all the teams. Bitto had a slow 1st inning, but was nothing short of great the rest of the way. He is usually very steady..SR...unflapable...Garner has been very good all year, just like last season...Frezza stil in rehab mode. I read somewhere he is looking for a possible early May return. Veeder, Kidd and Aker throwing strong as well, so far. I have not seen all their games, but was told that all the pitchers have been real good and pitched well enough to win in all games but one.
I have seen all the teams play except Gonzaga. I'll stick with my preseason prediction of DeMatha and St. Johns leading the pack into the playoffs. DM has more pitching than most give them credit and they kill the ball at the plate. St. Johns is also strong and deep. GC is alot better than I thought they'd be, after losing so much from last year's team. Doherty is the real deal and they can beat anyone when he is pitching. If PVI continues their upward trend, throw them in the mix as well.

Just my 2 cents...
quote:
Originally posted by sixtwoeven:
"Good Counsel 4 SMR 3
Gonzaga 3 BI 2
PVI 2 McNamara 0"

Any details on the PVI-McNamara rematch? Who pitched for the 2 squads?

PVI's Jon Bitto threw a complete game and was VERY sharp. I missed a couple innings, but was told he gave up 2-3 hits. MC kid #20 LHP, don't know his name, also threw a complete game. Not as sharp as Bitto, but still very good.

I've seen Bitto pitch twice this year and both times was real good. He doesn't have the velocity as PVI's other top guys, but keeps the hitters off balance by mixing his pitches real well.
quote:
thanks for the info dblemup

PVI is really stingy to score on. I think they have given up something like 20-21 runs in 9 league games. But, the McNamara pitching has been pretty good also. So may low scroing 1 and 2 run ball games in the WCAC this year...good piching and good D for the most part.

IMHO...PVI needs to get the bats going if they want to compete against DM, STC, GZ and OC...while maintaining pitching and D.

McNamara's pitching was very good in both PVI games. PVI's D gave that first game to MC...not taking anything away from MC. they took advantage of evry PVI mistake in the 1st game. MC impresses me with improvements they continue to make.
quote:
Originally posted by bballcoach44:
I thought I heard he's pitching tomorrow. Should be interesting to see how he throws after coming back from a sore shoulder if he does indeed pitch.

I have no firsthand knowledge. I hope he is perfectly healthy. I'd hate to hear about any young man hurting...especially in his senior year.
PVI's pitching depths will make them formidable in the new-format tournament. I cannot think of another team with their depth, especially if Frezza comes back sharp.

As for Bitto, he is vastly improved as a pitcher, but still their #4--#5 if Frezza is on. So, if your #4 or #5 is shutting out McNamara and shutting down the likes of O/C, you are in great shape.

In a one-and-done format, any number of teams could win it. But pitching depth will be critical this year, so I am sticking with PVI as my pick.
quote:
Tuesday, April 26
DeMatha 6 McNamara 0
Gonzaga 9 Good Counsel 3

any word on PVI-O'Connell?

O'Connell 9- PVI 8...4 unearned runs in the 1st for OC...PVI ties it up in 4th 4-4...OC hit the ball well to take a 9-4 in 5th (Katz HR dead center)...PVI battles back again to score 4 in the 6/7th, but comes up short.
In the Home stretch prior to next
weeks playoff.

Paul VI @ Good Counsel this afternoon
O'Connell at Dematha at 1600
Gonzaga @ Paul VI, Fri night
GC @ DeMatha on Sat should also be very interesting.

SCHOOL Current OVERALL LEAGUE
DeMatha 16-5 10-3
Good Counsel 13-5 10-4
O'Connell 17-4 9-4
Gonzaga 12-8 8-4
St. John's 13-7 7-5
Paul VI 12-7 6-5
McNamara 8-10 3-8
SMR 3-11 2-10
Bishop Ireton 5-15 0-12

Stopped by a ball field coming home
and just so happened to notice a very young lad
display arm stength, foot speed and big time pop.
Stay tuned.
Last edited by Bear
quote:
Originally posted by Bear:
In the Home stretch prior to next
weeks playoff.

Paul VI @ Good Counsel this afternoon
O'Connell at Dematha at 1600
Gonzaga @ Paul VI, Fri night
GC @ DeMatha on Sat should also be very interesting.

SCHOOL Current OVERALL LEAGUE
DeMatha 16-5 10-3
Good Counsel 13-5 10-4
O'Connell 17-4 9-4
Gonzaga 12-8 8-4
St. John's 13-7 7-5
Paul VI 12-7 6-5
McNamara 8-10 3-8
SMR 3-11 2-10
Bishop Ireton 5-15 0-12

Stopped by a ball field coming home
and just so happened to notice a very young lad
display arm stength, foot speed and big time pop.
Stay tuned.

Not sure where you got your schedules...but I can tell you they are wrong...
quote:
Originally posted by dblemup:

Master List.

It would not be the first time and more often than not Coach O'Connor, the Bradley boys, and maybe Smitty toss a bone at me about the corrected times and locations.

But then, the last time I was wrong, was when I thought I was wrong. So be careful, be very careful
quote:
Originally posted by Bear:
quote:
Originally posted by dblemup:

Master List.

It would not be the first time and more often than not Coach O'Connor, the Bradley boys, and maybe Smitty toss a bone at me about the corrected times and locations.

But then, the last time I was wrong, was when I thought I was wrong. So be careful, be very careful

LOL...Master list stinks for the WCAC games...I rely on the individual school sites...which can be off as well...
gamefan: Frezza is still working his way back--a year or so after TJ surgery. He was throwing 90+ consistently before the surgery. No telling what he'll have when fully healthy. If I had to guess, I would guess that he will not pitch for PVI this year. However, he is a brilliant student who will have his choice of great academic schools, from big names like Stanford to state schools like UVA to smaller, liberal arts schools. If the surgery is successful, he will find his way onto a team at any school he attends. Why would a coach not take him on as a project if he's throwing 90+ consistently? So, I think it will all work out well for him. Of course, I don't think that helps PVI much, but PVI is still loaded with pitching.
Glad to hear it. Any school would welcome Frezza, just wondered how it works in terms of holding roster spots. So, not really just about Frezza, but in similar situations, do kids who are injured, who are superstars, apply to their colleges of choice, get accepted on their academic merit, and hope for a roster spot? Or, red shirt first year for a roster spot next year?
OConnell beats St John's, Gonzaga crushes OConnell, then Spalding crushes Gonzaga. Does this reveal the truth that the WCAC is not as good as we all thought or was this an aberration that resulted from Gonzaga having to use #5 starter or something?

And what is wrong with PVI? Five Div I commits, including several stud pitchers, and they are in the bottom half?
Gzg-Spalding was an aberration indeed. In anticipation of today's key game with deMatha for #1 seed Gonzaga sat their starting lineup and pitched 3 teammates who hadn't seen much time on the mound this year. And Spalding can flat out hit.

And there is nothing "wrong" with PVI-their pitching is top class and they have played a lot of low-scoring 1 run games all saeson long. They will be tough in the tournament I'm sure.

In my opinion WCAC is really solid this year right down the line.
To answer a few questions regarding PVI...

It was announced last night at SR night that Frezza will be attending Bucknell in the fall. He is still yet to play this season while rehabbing.

The WCAC playoff matchups will be set after the games tonight.

I have seen a bunch of games and gotten reports on those I have not seen. PVI's pitching has been very good all year, with exception of a game or 2. The offense and defense has been inconsistant for much of the season.

Gonzaga is a very solid squad that hits the ball very well. The Spaulding game was meaningless and they saved their top pitchers for last night's game and the playoffs which start on Saturday.

WCAC is as strong as ever.
Last edited by dblemup

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.