Skip to main content

PG Jerry went Wieter a while back in predicting that Matt Wieters would one day play in big leagues, after seeing him so far this spring as closer for GT Yellowjackets, I would like to also say "SHEP HAS GONE WIETER TOO..." WOW !!!! What a great looking prospect at 6'6" who can also hit a ton! Shep WENT WIETERS and will also go on record that this prospect will reach Bigs. Would also like to add the GT names of Steve Blackwood, if he doesn't choose to be a doctor, and Luke Murton to that list, as well. peace, Shep
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

KayMart4

Agree absolutely about Danny Payne. Saw him in Perfect Game's East Cobb tournament and in HS as well at GT, and totally agree. He is racking and my prayers are for his speedy recovery.

Coach Beavers has done a tremendous job up there promoting these prospects. Tell him Shep said hello if you see him anytime soon.peace, RS
Shep, don't forget Wes Hodges and Jeff Kindel. I gotta agree with you about Wieters. I can't believe how he can catch, and then come in to pitch, he's gotta have superman legs.

I hadn't heard that Danny Payne will be out for the year, that's bad news going into the tournament and NCAA. Earlier I'd heard something about him being back in time for the Miami series, but obviously that didn't happen.
quote:
Shep WENT WIETERS and will also go on record that this prospect will reach Bigs. Would also like to add the GT names of Steve Blackwood, if he doesn't choose to be a doctor, and Luke Murton to that list, as well. peace, Shep

Anybody stay up late last night for the ACC game between GA Tech and Clemson Tigers Big Grin ? What happened after 7th inning ? I lost my stream-feed... peace, Shep
btw, if ya haven't already done it you may want to "went MURTON", I have

Clemson took the nitecap 16-11

(from memory/corrected) ... after Tech evened it up in the 8th, Clemson scored 10 in the 9th
(HR Demink, Harbin)

but, Tech did put 5 more on the board in the 8th & 9th "before the clock ran out" aided by Murton (3 HRs w/G-Slam in consecutive ABs), Blackwood (1), Wieters (1)

Clemson clearly had more pitching left,

hard to figure why conferences love to beat up their pitchers the week before the dance, most games further into the tourny are not representative of a true (fresh) matchup

I guess kudos to GT's Hall for placing more importance on his pitchers arms than winning at any cost .. they used 7 pitchers in the early game

Clemson was in better shape as they came into today playing one less game because they stayed in the winner bracket longer
Last edited by Chairman
Wow! Thanks Chairman! Guess we do need to go Murton ! Actually, I already have gone Murton and Blackwood a while back, as well as Wieters. Did Clemson just run out of pitching or what ? David Kopp(TigerPawMom's son) seemed to have game under control when I lost feed....

Did all those homeruns come off DK ??? If so, wow ! Wouldn't have "ever" thought that would happen...Clemson does look strong and one of my favs going into regional tournaments.

This is just the ACC tournament but still an honor to stake top prize and ensure good position in upcoming regional.

Peace, Shep
Last edited by Shepster
they tagged him for 7 runs in 2 2/3 innings, so I guess the wheels fell off after you lost it Frown

Clemson's D'Alessio steps in a sprinkler hole & rolls his ankle, then I saw today Tech's Kindle came out of the game in the 8th due to an unspecified knee injury, ouch!

my sympathies to the friends of the orange lady they repeatedly showed "gyrating"(?) in the isle, whom the broadcast team described as ...
"doing something best left to a MUCH YOUNGER generation" Eek (brual to a national audience) Big Grin

also, I'm sure Tech's Hodges (injured) is a fine player, but they didn't lose a thing at 3rd moving their 1B Robbins there (imo)
Last edited by Chairman
Something to keep in mind… I would want my pitcher to do nothing but fill the strike zone with a 10 run lead in the last inning. Takes a lot of hits to score 10 runs and Clemson won by 5. The stats from that game show that the kid threw 23 pitches and an amazing 18 of them were strikes. Personal stats might have suffered but that’s doing your job in my book!
good point by PG,

quote:
Shep says: This is just the ACC tournament but still an honor to stake top prize and ensure good position in upcoming regional

Shep of course you're right .. my point tho,
Clemson, the likely #1 national seed, playing for the ACC Conference tournament championship, in a conference where ALL 8 tourny teams will be invited to the "dance" ... has to start a guy in the Championship game that only threw 10 innings in 7 appearances all season ..
a pitcher who did not make their travel roster

and that situation doesn't seem all that unusual ..
the new 8 team ACC tourny format is better than before,
but til the W-Sox call up minor league fresh arms just for game 7 of the WS, I just can't get to worked up about conference tournys
Last edited by Chairman
You're also talking about a kid who probably was up on adrenaline for a 1 p.m. game, thinking he might be called on in relief; then he sat around all night waiting for the second game to start; then he got the call to pitch from after midnight until 1:30 a.m.

As someone said in some other sport, "Just win, baby!" Kudos to anyone who can hold it together under those circumstances against that team with its back against the wall.
Midlo Dad and PG,
I think you got the message. Trying to close (when you are not a closer) a game at 1:30 am, waiting all day to relieve and then told to pound the strike zone wasn't easy task.

I wasn't going to comment further, but here goes.

Shep,
Yeah, wheels fell off, that last inning was not his best and messed up his ERA, but who really cares at this point. He got the W and with the ACC win CU secured a #1 seed for the NCAA playoffs. I'll take the drop in ERA anyday for the look on son's face when he stood with his team mates to receive their honors.
All you had to do was go to the ACC website for the boxscore, but I know you had to get your comments about DK in there. How professional of you.

Chairman,
Your stinging comments, and something you said once in another post leaves questions as to who you really are. I am surprised at you.

The story Sean Clark who spent most of his college time on the bench (much due to injury) is a great inspirational story, the kind of story that should come out of championship games. This is what it is all about. So folks, know that your player sitting on the bench has a chance to be the HERO.

We had plenty of arms left to get the job done. I suppose if our coach didn't care about his pitchers, our starters could have been used again for a few innings apiece yesterday. There is a tourny limit for innings pitched none of ours used up the limit, though I understand GT did. And NCST, what a great story for them, one of the underdogs making the championship game!

I went Weiters years ago, this is a young man who has an incredible future. I understand he is suffering from a sore elbow. Couple of high profile guys at the tourney just think it is incredible that a top D1 school has to rely on one player (who is one of the best players in the country) to catch, DH and close, game after game. This is in no way negative toward him, just concerned. They are all hoping when his next draft year comes around he is ok.
Last edited by TPM
Hey TPM, congrats to Clemson on winning the tournament. They're looking good. Hopefully we (GT) will see you in Omaha.

quote:
Couple of high profile guys at the tourney just think it is incredible that a top D1 school has to rely on one player (who is one of the best players in the country) to catch, DH and close, game after game.....

I've kind of wondered about that. Not such a big deal closing after DH'ing, but coming in to close after catching 7 or 8 innings, I don't know about that. In fairness, Danny Payne was doing a good bit of closing until he got injured. With both he and Wes Hodges out I'm sure that Coach Hall's choices became somewhat limited. (If you know more about this inquiring minds want to know).
TPM

I just want you to know, And I mean this with all sincerity, DK is one of the best looking pitchers I've had the pleasure of watching all year and has that "it" factor and talent to reach the show. If I have anything to do with it, DK is going to the SHOW, fast-track style Smile after his college playing days are over with if he so chooses !

Have enjoyed our banter ma'am and very happy for you and David Smile Good Karma !!

Now lets go win in Omaha! I'm with the Tigers ! peace

Sincerely,
Ray Shepherd
Last edited by Shepster
sigh .. here we go again Frown

re-reading my recent posts, I critisized only .. conference tournies, Tech's Hodges (actually just gave props to Robbins but am sure you can twist it), and the orange lady .. it sounds like I hit a nerve

if you are indeed the orange lady .. I am sorry, very, very sorry ..
(as were those around you) Eek

I further commented on:

Clark .. my comments were taken directly from Leggett's interview on national TV, as I have no info except what I got from the coach ..
anything inaccurate or offensive should be taken up with Jack

Kopp .. watching & numbers from the box score, PG offered an explanation & I accepted it

the game .. my observations & Associated Press
"Clemson scored 10 runs in the top of the ninth inning ... then had to survive a 5-run rally by Georgia Tech in the bottom of the inning, before earning a 16-11 win" ..
"The beleaguered pitching staffs were battered for 25 earned runs"

I gave props to:

D'Allessio, Robbins, Murton, Clemson's pitching staff, Hall and should have also mentioned Demmink

I also predicted the Tiger's as #1 national seed (*note, I did miss on Wake Forest though Frown)

btw, after the "late" game when Shep posted & I replied there were NO boxes or recaps available & gametracker went blank .. I corrected a few things I posted later when things came online, and I noted it in my post

I'm also willing to explain any other of my comments in the past 24 hrs, as I'm aware of how things will be mis-interpreted by a mom eavesdropping on guys just talking baseball.
but .. forget it if you want to disect something I said 6 days, 6 weeks, or 6 months ago ..
(hmm, could you be related to my wife?)

It'd be great to discuss Ole Miss's Mark Wright & the Vandy game, but it properly should be done in "private topic" in case there's a Vandy or Ole Miss mom lurking Frown
Last edited by Chairman
thanks for the advice Jemaz,
but I'm not "messing" with anyone .. I just say what I'm thinking, enjoy a good discussion, & try to be helpful when I can

occasionaly I may say something without thinking and feel compelled to correct it ..
but .. my posts contain NO hidden meanings, subliminal messages, or Da Vinci type codes

they also do not yield any stunning secrets when recorded and played backwards

just an old guy who enjoys baseball, talking sports
Last edited by Chairman
Jemaz....think you don't mess with Mom's when it comes to their sons....however.....we don't all react the same.....

Chairman and Shep....are you sure you two do not have a hidden agenda? Is it possible that you, disguised as good intentioned posters, are really out to upend the "perfect" flow of thought/opinions on this site? Fess up...or face the delete button....which is probably where I'm headed...... Wink

JT....speaking of posting.....where is GotWood? Hope all is well with him......it's been awhile....by GotWood standards since he has posted....and never thought I'd say this....but miss him...and Playbaseball too!
Last edited by LadyNmom
quote:
LadyN says: Chairman and Shep....are you sure you two do not have a hidden agenda? Is it possible that you, disguised as good intentioned posters, are really out to upend the "perfect" flow of thoughts/opinions on this site
hmm, it took me a while to break the code .. Roll Eyes

"Chairman and Shep, you two have good thoughts/opinions"

but .. LadyN, I'm blushing at your message revealed when recorded & played backwards Big Grin
Last edited by Chairman
Chairman applaude

You are "Da' Man" !

We are lucky in the wife department but there are some very interesting ladies who I just love conversing with here at HSBBW

BTW FBM, Can I use your bigthinker smiley? Smile

No pun just fun sister. Question for FBM> How's that bright young prospect of yours looking these days anyway? peace, Shep
Last edited by Shepster
Headed out the door...but before I leave...I would like to say, any PLAYER that can catch 8 full innings behind the dish in very hot and humid weather ala Chandler Stadium in Atlanta right now, go 3 for 4 with a monster homerun, two singles and a walk(on base all day long)....Go out to bullpen, warm-up, come back to mound from bullpen in ninth...pump 93-95MPH fastballs with 84-85MPH power sliders....shut 'em down and get the save...
THAT PLAYER IS TALENTED AND WORTHY !!!
Furthermore, I am renewing my predictions...
Shep's Going Wieters again !!!Great job Matt !!!
Roll on Ramblin Wreck !!!! GA TECH !!!! applaude
StyleMismatch

No longer live in GA but very familiar with area and like to promote good talent when I feel led by instinct and belief in someone.

I have been getting those feelings a lot lately following those Ramblin Wreck players ! It may also have something to do with the countless hours I spent on almost the entire team when they were freshman, sophomores there and also while in HS and playing in East Cobb program and Perfect Game Events Smile

Show me player/players that are hard-nosed as Wieters, Blackwood, Murton and the rest of Tech's team, for that matter, and I will sing their praises too...Shep goes Tech and Tigers!!!! Peace Brother, DeeMack's friend, Shep
Last edited by Shepster
Shepster ...

Be my guest with the smiley. If you are interested, here is the site for that one
http://www.cybergifs.com/

(I like it because it doesn't have all the nasty ones that some of the sites have.)

As for our son ... well, he didn't get his first win this season until about the same time he got his first loss last year. Very tough start ... not wild, not walking a lot of guys, just couldn't get the hitters to miss any of his pitches. We think he was suffering from delayed dead arm ... he didn't pitch much in spring training because he was frequently with the majors as a bullpen guy "just in case" and he sure pitched like it. But fortunately his last 4 starts have been much better ... actually lowered his ERA by 3 runs in those 4 starts (I could hardly believe how high it was or how many hits he had given up.) Thank goodness he got it turned around and is back to his usual confident self on the mound. And thanks for asking.
Last edited by FutureBack.Mom
Thank you kindly Mrs FBM Smile

Can anybody say WIETERS???-SHEP'S ALL_TIME PICK IN THE WORLD!!! This guy is the most over-looked, or maybe I should say underlooked Wink HS player I have ever heard about by going undrafted in South Carolina!!! If he's drafted out of HS, he's in the show THIS YEAR !!
WOW!! Boy 'O Boy !!! How did we all possibly miss him ??? He's only, just turned 20 !!! If he was 21 yrs old, he would be a top five pick this year and possibly even the very 1st Pick, IMHO. peace, Shep

party
Last edited by Shepster
Shep,
There are many players that first attend college in lieu of pro ball. A talented player, especially a position player, prefers to take his at bats needed in college, to grow in a good program, in a top conference.I don't think anyone missed him in 2004(maybe you did) or he was overlooked. He is working his way to be a top pick for next year, where he might not have been in 2004.
How can you predict if he had been drafted out of HS he would be in the "Show" by now, that determining factor is based upon who drafts him and the teams need. noidea
quote:
Originally posted by Shepster:
TPM

What position do you like Wieters as pro? Shep

I'll tell you what some folks said they think about that question after you tell me what you think TPM, because Shep values TPM predictions.

Sincerely,
Shep

Shep,
I don't make predictions. That'll be up to the team that drafts him next year.
Last edited by MN-Mom
quote:
Show me player/players that are hard-nosed as Wieters, Blackwood, Murton and the rest of Tech's team,

I was at the final game of Tech's regional last night, I can't get over the great defensive display that was put on. I think the best play was Luke Murton (1b) throwing from flat on his back to Ryan Turner (p) who was covering 1st to get the runner. Right behind that was Andy Hawranick's catch of a popup while dangling into the visitor's dugout. And when you talk about hard-nosed you gotta include Mike Trapani. Anybody who goes from a walk-on to being a starter has a place in my heart, I really hope he's given the opportunity to see if he can make it in the pros.
StyleMismatch,

Mike Trapani is a shining example of someone who is told by the whole world he can't do something but somehow perseveres by overcoming every obstacle in his way...WOW! What a story !

Andy H. Bee's son ain't doing to shabby himself! Prolly the one other player you mentioned earlier who is doing an outstanding job is Jeff Kindell(sp?) He really looked good in sub-regional.

Wes Hodges also as well as the entire team, for that matter. Think after sleeping on it, I'm going Jackets for the Gold!

May every player be blessed and receive Power from above in the upcoming games because they deserve the best that life has to offer! peace.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.