Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It was July 1 before senior year when my son was that age (2014), not September 1st of Junior year like it is now.  He had been talking to 2 schools quite a bit.  He had seen both of them the weekend before and both coaches just said "hey, we aren't going to call and bug you..."    He was kind of bummed....didn't get a call til 4pm, but it was the RC of the school he ended up going to....it was the first contact he had had with them, even though they are 45 minutes away.  Scheduled a visit for the following Tuesday.  Visited and liked the place.  Coach came to see him throw one more time the following day and offered and my son committed the morning after.  Total recruitment time from first contact til offer/commit 9 days 

Last edited by Buckeye 2015

It was 9/1 last year. I exchanged a PM message at that time with another HSBBW-er, which I was able to dig up to jog my memory.

My son heard from 9 schools on Sept. 1st -- he got phone calls or texts from 4 schools (all of which he had spoken with previously) and emails from 7 schools (two of which also called or texted). Of the 9 schools, four conferences were represented. In one case he got a phone call from the HC, a text from the RC, and an email -- and it was a school at which he had an upcoming UV later in September 2017. Ultimately, though, he ended up committing to a school that wasn't one of the nine who reached out on Sept. 1st.

Good luck to all the 2020s on the 1st!

Whether it's July 1 or Sept. 1, it's kind of the end of the parent involvement in recruiting except for taking them where they want to go and advising. My 2018 woke up to a text or an email from a coach, told me about it, and then I didn't hear much of anything except "hey, would BLANK school be okay?" and "can we go visit BLANK?" and finally "yea, I'm going to Iowa."

Back in the day...coaches officially started calling my son July 1.   I remember it like it was yesterday.  We were at PG WWBA in East Cobb and his phone rang at 8am and didn't stop until the late evening.   This went on for a couple days then stopped.   We were already familiar with some of the teams calling as his travel coach had been in communication with them, but there were a few my son found out had been following him without his knowledge.   Of course, all of the recruiters told him how interested they were and they'd be touching base on a regular basis to check in, and to reach out with any questions....blah, blah, blah.  So initially this activity and interest got my son excited (which is not an easy thing to do) but eventually months later this led to the realization that these guys will make many promises but rarely follow through.    My son quickly learned to believe in what they do,  not what they say.

What was interesting is that my son (previously) didn't have a reason to listen to all the wonderful advice his mom and dad had suggested....keep a notebook to log conversations with coaches, create a one page resume to give to coaches, etc....   Now, he had a reason and a much greater practical understanding of why he needed to do these things because his parents were not going to do it for him.   He needed to take the lead on his recruiting efforts.

Good luck to all going through the recruiting process!

Last edited by fenwaysouth
edcoach posted:

To be honest Caco I'm not sure what to expect.  I told son not to get hopes up but who knows.

This has been my tact a well.  The kid has been emailing with various coaches all summer.  Interaction that usually goes like this: "we can't talk to you until 9.1, but here's our camp info". Sometimes there are clues they are more interested than others (keep us apprised of your fall schedule, etc.).  

But I've told the kid not to expect the phone to ring off the hook and to be prepared to do the work to gain and keep interest.

good plan Justdey.  My son was told to call a P5 coach, so he did they talked about 10 minutes.  The coach told him to call him back the next day, which he did, but got his voicemail.  The coach has not texted or emailed since...My son has texted him once since then and emailed twice...one email he sent said "if you are no longer interested please give me constructive feedback as to what you see my weaknesses as, as well as what you see my biggest strength," no response to that email either...so I just thought it was really weird overall, dont know what to expect.

edcoach posted:

good plan Justdey.  My son was told to call a P5 coach, so he did they talked about 10 minutes.  The coach told him to call him back the next day, which he did, but got his voicemail.  The coach has not texted or emailed since...My son has texted him once since then and emailed twice...one email he sent said "if you are no longer interested please give me constructive feedback as to what you see my weaknesses as, as well as what you see my biggest strength," no response to that email either...so I just thought it was really weird overall, dont know what to expect.

Reminds me of an RC that emailed son (direct and personal after 9/1) after seeing him pitch, saying they had run out of baseball money for his class, but were asking if he'd be interested in academic money?  Son replied promptly saying that he'd like to learn more about what they had to offer.  Never got a reply back.  Emailed again.  Nothing.  

Some recruiters are definitely better than others at being thorough, sincere, and earnest.  Many are flat out flighty.  Like the RC I'm referencing here.  

For the record, son was contacted out of blue by RC at D1 program he is at now, right after the 9/1 date his Junior year.  It definitely caught our attention, he was one of maybe 10 schools that sent post 9/1 emails.  Was not on our radar, or even Top-10, but it would eventually become son's #1.  

Don't take the date too seriously, but things can happen on 9/1, that can be game changers.  

Last edited by #1 Assistant Coach
CaCO3Girl posted:

Edcoach, the coach can’t send an email at this moment about anything other than a camp.

It is kind of funny the way they try to work around things though.  One coach would send my son emails that said things like:

As you know, I can't reply to your text (He didn't send one anytime around this email).  The rules mean that I can't even ask you to send me the name of your summer team, I can't ask your what tournaments you will be pitching in, I can't ask you what showcases you are attending,  I can't ask you what time you are pitching, or in which games...

It was like directions on everything he was looking for from my son. It would crack us up every time he sent one.

baseballhs posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:

Edcoach, the coach can’t send an email at this moment about anything other than a camp.

It is kind of funny the way they try to work around things though.  One coach would send my son emails that said things like:

As you know, I can't reply to your text (He didn't send one anytime around this email).  The rules mean that I can't even ask you to send me the name of your summer team, I can't ask your what tournaments you will be pitching in, I can't ask you what showcases you are attending,  I can't ask you what time you are pitching, or in which games...

It was like directions on everything he was looking for from my son. It would crack us up every time he sent one.

I loved those emails.  My son would also get the text from his coach saying, you need to call coach ________.

On a side note, I wondered what the rule was since I was my son's high school coach.  I had one coach that I knew was not recruiting another player of mine who asked about our season, that player, and how the rest of the team was pitching and hitting.  Never used my son's name.   I had another who would talk to me all the time but never looked at me.  Just stood or sat next to me and would ask how the team was doing.  Interesting it was always when my son was on the mound. 

I'll throw this out there in case it helps someone:  My son (like most teens I know) really doesn't use his phone for voice calls.  His parents call him once in a while (usually when he isn't answering their texts), but that is about it.  A couple of days ago my wife reminded me that although the boy has had a phone for several years, he had never set up voicemail.  Unanswered calls would ring 5 or 6 times, then a recorded message would play advising that the user does not have a voicemail box, so please try again later.

My wife and I prevailed on the boy to establish a voicemail box (with a personal recorded message).  I don't know if he will get any calls Sept. 1, but at least now he can get messages.

We're in the same boat here regarding use of phones (or lack thereof).  In fact, my son has some feature turned on his phone that automatically sends a call to voicemail the first time you call, so you have to hang up and call back immediately to get it to actually ring.  I think he did to avoid his phone ringing in the classroom.  Anyway, we were just talking last night that we need to remind him to turn that feature off!  And, of course, we've told son that come Sept 1, if he gets calls from numbers he does not recognize, he needs to answer it and be polite/professional because you never know who it can be. 

Funny story, one of my son's basketball teammates got a call from a coach while he was on the bus on his way home after a game.  He got everyone on the bus to quiet down enough so he could hear.  The kid hangs up and tells the guys that the coach told him he was going to call back and leave him a message (guessing maybe with some details since he knew he couldn't write anything down on the bus).  The phone rings again and kid's instinct was to pick it up again.  Coach had to say, "Um, you can't answer the phone if I'm trying to leave you a message."  Coach calls back and the whole bus yells "Don't answer your phone!!"  LOL

Duke was the only school to reach out on 9-1 Jr year. Funny thing there is that See ended up being his pitching coach at Clemson. <insert anxiety ridden roller coaster commit/de-commit story> then son committed summer between Jr/Sr year (July) and he only got camp invites after that...which tells you all you need to know about those camp/clinic email lists.  

For the OP and other 2020 parents, don’t panic (or even be disappointed) if offers don’t come screaming in tomorrow. The 2019 class is not quite 50% finished and there are so many variables.   I was nervous last year and naively hoped to hear something even though my 2019 had an injury that made for a very limited summer.  

Contact only began to trickle in at the end of September and it grew through the fall and winter as he got healthy and lit up the radar guns and dominated camps.  

Soon, word spread and he was getting calls from coaches and schools that he never had any contact with prior.  By junior baseball season, he had talked with coaches at over 20 D1 programs from the SEC, to the PAC12, to the Ivy’s.

September 1st , it was definitely not a magical date for him, but we sure did enjoy the process after that.

My son had never bothered to set up his voicemail box on his cell phone.  He had literally never talked on his phone.  He had his phone icon buried in a group icon so you couldn't even see it.  Teenagers text, right?  September 1 came and went and a couple weeks later I mentioned that I was surprised at least a couple coaches hadn't called.  He looked at his phone and pulled up the phone app and said "Oh shoot, I got a couple calls I missed on 9/1".  He called them back and tried to explain why he hadn't responded for two weeks.  I don't think that went over very well...

My son got a call from an Ivy League coach and a few recruiting intro e-mails yesterday.  I don't know how well prepared he was for the call, but I had told him (saw this in another post recently) that he had to answer any question with at least 7 words :-). I think his major challenge is going to be combining his interest in architecture as a field of study with baseball... the coach he talked to pretty much said that the required studio time doesn't work with baseball...

BBMomAZ posted:

My son got a call from an Ivy League coach and a few recruiting intro e-mails yesterday.  I don't know how well prepared he was for the call, but I had told him (saw this in another post recently) that he had to answer any question with at least 7 words :-). I think his major challenge is going to be combining his interest in architecture as a field of study with baseball... the coach he talked to pretty much said that the required studio time doesn't work with baseball...

That's funny.  The only call my son received on Sept 1 (he's now a senior) was from an Ivy League school.  My son is a good student, but Ivy is a stretch, so I was like, sure the only school that called was one I wouldn't even send him to.

Congrats on the call and good luck to you.  Sorry to hear about the architecture conflict.  Maybe you should read the STEM thread, as it appears to be a similar conflict.

CTbballDad posted:
BBMomAZ posted:

That's funny.  The only call my son received on Sept 1 (he's now a senior) was from an Ivy League school.  My son is a good student, but Ivy is a stretch, so I was like, sure the only school that called was one I wouldn't even send him to.

Congrats on the call and good luck to you.  Sorry to hear about the architecture conflict.  Maybe you should read the STEM thread, as it appears to be a similar conflict.

Thanks - I just discovered the STEM thread! Probably similar conflicts with STEM labs as it would be with architecture studio/shop time.

9/1 this year for the 2020's could be odd timing, as it was the Saturday of Labor Day weekend. My 2020 received a handful of emails around 11pm on 8/31 (we are central time zone and those emails all came from eastern time zone schools). Aside from acknowledging the uniqueness of the 9/1 date, they were basically the same ol' camp invites and requests to fill online questionnaires he already receives on the regular. One ACC school though asked him to provide regular check-ins this fall, and another seemed to encourage him to take an unofficial visit.  

Last edited by TheRightScuff

My son received about 2 or 3 emails..one right at midnight! He had expected to hear from more as the 9/1 day is really publicized. His disappointment really hit when he didn't hear from a school that his Legion coach assured him were interested and would contact him. As it turned out, the college had reversed 2 numbers in son's cell phone number.

My son got a handful of emails (3 to 5?), a couple of which came just after midnight.  None were personal messages.  Mostly camp invites, some longer emails "introducing" the school's baseball program.  One from a midwestern P5 school he had never contacted or heard from (but it was a generic email).

I had warned the boy not to expect too much.  He generally took it all in stride, although I know part of him hoped he would be fielding texts and phone calls on 9/1. 

Mine did get a text from the HC at one of his top choices, so that was great.

Also got a bunch of camp invites from new places that asked him to fill out the questionnaire and send the Fall schedule.  I guess they think that by sending the initial mass email on 9/1 that it will be taken differently.

Son got two emails.  One at 9:05 which we were not expecting because we had not thought about the time zone difference and because, while it is a school on his radar, he has not had much communication with them and we think they only saw him at HF in June.  It's a long introductory email (no camp invite) and asks that he check in frequently about his fall schedule and school year.

The other email is from a school he has been in contact with a bit more and they have likely seen him 2-3 times.  Also a long introductory email.

So I just checked PG website and the first school he got an email from on 9/1 already has 9 2020 commits.  Doesn't seem like this is a school worth our effort at this point since we'd essentially be starting from scratch and I've got to think they have a good list of prospects they are further down the line with to round out their 2020 roster.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.