Skip to main content

@RJM posted:

I’m glad my kids aren’t part of this. They’re past playing age. I’m guessing it’s going to be hard for a player without an eye catching metric to advertise. Some program will want to take a change of scenery gamble on him.

I’m also guessing there will be players at D2 and D3 fall ball wondering where the D1 drop down came from who is standing at his position.

I look at this situation made worse by Covid. It emphasizes how important it is to get it right coming out of high school, having a real grasp on your potential and not overreaching for the dream school. Even then plenty of players get it wrong.

100% correct. Couldn’t agree more.

@RJM posted:

I’m glad my kids aren’t part of this. They’re past playing age. I’m guessing it’s going to be hard for a player without an eye catching metric to advertise. Some program will want to take a change of scenery gamble on him.

I’m also guessing there will be players at D2 and D3 fall ball wondering where the D1 drop down came from who is standing at his position.

I look at this situation made worse by Covid. It emphasizes how important it is to get it right coming out of high school, having a real grasp on your potential and not overreaching for the dream school. Even then plenty of players get it wrong.

You and me both.  No thanks.  Very difficult to be an athlete these days for this very reason.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
@LousyLefty posted:

Leaving this 2022 LHP mom with a serious stomach ache.

As it should. I was at the JuCo Region 5 Super Regional today in Waco, Tx and was talking about the effects of crowded rosters on recruiting. I think that sometimes people on this board don’t always heed warnings from old timers so I’m going to name drop in hopes that it makes someone pay attention that may not otherwise. This afternoon Rusty Greer told me that his son committed to Missouri State immediately upon getting an offer because “every school has too many players and (right now) when a school shows interest you better pounce on it before they move on to the next kid.”So if you don’t want to listen to me, RJM, TPM, Prepster, Consultant, Cabbagedad, FenwaySouth, or the other 100 most experienced people on this board (apologies to obviously non mentions) maybe you will listen to a former MLB player who has a kid in the mix of this mess. The rules have changed. You will not have the options you have expected. The goal now is simply finding a place to play.

Adbono;

Rust Greer was a very good hitter. When I visited Arlington Stadium and the President of the Rangers mentioned that I could go the tunnels under the Stadium. Rusty was hitting from 35' and display "great" bat speed. We did not need a gun to clock the bat, only the "fractions" of seconds from bat to the screen.

Bob

There are approx 1,600 NCAA baseball programs. If I was a recruiter I would first look at the transfer portal and not waste my time on HS players as these players would likely be more hungry (easier to get for less $) and already have college experience. My guess is that 50% should find a new place fairly easily and the bottom 50% are going to struggle....but I am not a recruiter so who knows.

88-90 entering college....and 90-91 once there is plenty of velo for a mid-major.  Son was essentially the same.  Began freshman year as a weekday starter, then moved to the weekend.  A mix of starter and relief his sophomore year....then closer his junior year (still 90-92) but on a team that won 10 games so he didn't get much work.  They had 15 pitchers...and only a couple were consistently 88+.  I guess I wonder what the issue(s) were that kept the coach from playing him.....though obviously some other mid-majors were better than my son's school....but just seems like 90-ish would get the coach's attention.  I agree with your thoughts....start with any school that he has/had any relationship with during his HS recruitment and see if they may have interest.  If they liked him before they may still like him....even without college stats.   Good luck!!

Looking up some of the stats for the players that I know and it's pretty much the same across the board.  Not much playing time and when there was the ERA is double digits or the batting average is under .200.   So, if you are at a below .500 non P5 and those are your stats, where do you go?  A bad D2?  I suspect for some of those players the baseball journey could be ending soon. 

@DanJ posted:

Jeez.  I wonder how many of those 1909 kids will find new homes?

Probably about 1899 of them

not all of them will be playing Baseball, but they’ll find new schools, and eventually careers etc

some people act like this is the apocalypse, or something.  Look, I truly LOVE Baseball, but there’s a heckuva lot more to life than Baseball.

And, for those that love the game, there are a lot of jobs in Baseball besides just “player”

Lol, I laugh because my son was at a D1 in 2020. Was having really good Spring and then Covid hit. The school he picked had crappy facilities and sub par everything. He decides to go in the portal because he wanted more at the worse possible time. He landed at a JUCO this year and during first start tears his UCL. He’s a month and half into rehab, can’t return to Juco since he finished his degree. He sent video all over, got a good amount of responses, but nobody willing to take a chance on some recovering from TJ. A week ago gets a call from a D1 and coach says he’s willing to bring him there, no athletic money, no promises, but can rehab with team, workout etc until he’s healthy and then compete for a spot. My son was pumped, very confident kid, but was just looking for opportunity. Pretty cool story so far.

Last edited by TXdad2019
@baseballhs posted:

450 more added to the portal update.  Total D1: 1696.

So what happens to these kids?  I doubt that most of them will find another D1 home (obviously the cream will find a way to the top and transfer) but JUCOS are already "full" in many places (with the extra 2 years of eligibility most got many are taking a slow path to AA)..So what are the options? take a gap year to train or hangup the cleats?  There are almost enough players to fill 50 FULL rosters in the portal!

I will say as a parent who’s kid went through it last year. Relationships are super important, it’s not an ideal time to enter portal, JUCO is tough (Texas), get ready to not get athletic scholarship money, which means Academics is very valuable, competition is stiff at all levels right now, expand your net to be willing to play wherever in the US. This just my option on what I’ve observed in the last year.

PS, Portal never closes and you will need to reach out to as many coaches as possible with video.

@PitchingFan posted:

I'm surprised some more coaches aren't being fired.  There has to be a problem when 8-17 players are going into the portal not counting graduates.  That is not the players disgruntled.  There are some big name teams that have over 10 guys in the portal and the coach still has their job.

It’s called over recruiting. Baseball is partial athletic scholarship or no scholarship. A kid goes there with hopes of making the team and leaves after the Fall or dits bench and leaves after the Spring. Either way college gets in the range of $10k to $20k per kid that leaves. Why would the college be mad? The coach is making them money. It’s the sad truth, but so many think they have a chance so they pull the trigger and go to a place that really they’re battling for that # 28-35 spot.

@TXdad2019 posted:

It’s called over recruiting. Baseball is partial athletic scholarship or no scholarship. A kid goes there with hopes of making the team and leaves after the Fall or dits bench and leaves after the Spring. Either way college gets in the range of $10k to $20k per kid that leaves. Why would the college be mad? The coach is making them money. It’s the sad truth, but so many think they have a chance so they pull the trigger and go to a place that really they’re battling for that # 28-35 spot.

100% correct

@PitchingFan posted:

I'm surprised some more coaches aren't being fired.  There has to be a problem when 8-17 players are going into the portal not counting graduates.  That is not the players disgruntled.  There are some big name teams that have over 10 guys in the portal and the coach still has their job.

What makes anyone think that coaches, administrators, and the NCAA gives a rats behind about the student/players. The name of the game at the top D1 level is about winning. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.