Skip to main content

Please don't think this is a promotion of any kind. There is no need to promote this event.

When people ask me about it, I simply tell them it is the most "unusual" event I've ever seen in baseball.

This year it looks like it will be one of the best fields ever. No weak teams, no weak players.

Though some might not believe it, there are usually 900 or more scouts and college coaches that attend. Over 300 golf carts will be rented out to these people. Would be more, but we can't get any more carts.

There is a very good reason why this is the biggest scouting attraction in all of baseball. Just in the past 5 drafts, 137 players who played in this tournament were later drafted in the 1st or supplemental 1st round. Another 101 players were drafted in the 2nd round.

I know that might be hard to believe for those who haven't been there, but here is the proof... Go to this link and scroll down to see the draft picks from each year. The players that have already made the Major Leagues is listed on the right.

WWBA World Championship

Most major colleges are in attendance and every MLB club has 10-20 or more scouts attend the event. We just received the Toronto Blue Jays request form today. They are sending an all time record "44" scouts to Jupiter this year. That is a major investment on there part!

If you happen to be in Florida from Oct 20-24 and want to see something very unusual. Go to the Roger Dean Complex in Jupiter. Warning... There is a charge to get in. I think it is $10 for the day. If you go and think your just watching a normal baseball activity, I will personally refund your $10.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

We spent some great times down there! Always exciting and lots of stuff going on. Great memories of recruiters and scouts. I know that offers are not supposed to be made there until after the event, but a great deal of information is exchanged.

Some of the best times we have had in the game so far.

Go if you have the opportunity!
Jerry some of my best baseball memories are down there. I met so many great people and got to watch some outstanding baseball. One year I went and just watched games. No kids playing , no team there , I just went down and spent every day just watching baseball, talking to old friends and making new ones. To me it is baseball heaven. Thanks for all you do. I really mean that.
Last year, son's Mid-Atlantic Rookies team played the Cardinals Scout team...SP was injured after facing one batter and was drafted with 55th pick. No problem...his replacement was a 6'7" LHP drafted with the 36th pick.

Rookies had a 2nd rounder and a 6th rounder...needless to say, there were scouts and coaches from pole to pole:

Priceless!
I was blown away by the magnitude of this tournament during my first trip last year. I was very impressed with the organization that goes into putting together this world class event. I won't be there this year (just returned from the underclass championships in Ft. Myers with 2014) but look forward to returning next year.
We attended Jupiter last year and are going this year as well. The tournament is amazing. It would be difficult if not impossible to exaggerate the number of college and pro scouts in attendance. Although my son had been to many well attended showcase events - nothing could have prepared us for this event. At son's first pitching start in Jupiter there were no fewer than 60 scouts present. (I am not suggesting all were there to see my son.) Golf carts all the way down both base lines - sometimes 2 deep - and scouts packed behind the backstop. I have seen games with fewer spectators than there were scouts there. For a barely 16 year old pitcher it was more than a little unnerving when all the radar guns came up in unison at the first pitch (like a scene from a movie)it was surreal. Yes it was a great event and lots of fun - but it was also an incredible step in maturing in the sport. I suggest that some attempt at preparing players for the number of scouts might be appropriate. Like all PG events son has attended it was well run and it was incredible baseball.
Last edited by YesReally
In my humble opinion, the WWB in East Cobb is to the WWB Championships in Jupiter what the MLB Regular Season is to the World Series.

There is great competition, and a good amount of Coaches and Scouts to be found in East Cobb ... But only the best of the best are in Jupiter, and they are all in one location, concentrating the Coaches and Scouts available to watch each game, and the experience for players and families.

After going to high-profile events from coast-to-coast over the past 4 years, I can truly say I have seen nothing else like the WWB Championships in Jupiter.

We are looking forward to being there next week, as SP_Son closes out his competitive showcase career.
As PGStaff alludes in his original post, this event has to be seen to be believed. Because of the immense turnout of college recruiters and professional scouts, it's also a great networking opportunity for baseball people from around the country.

Its stature is a tribute to the organization that organizes and hosts it.
quote:
Originally posted by biggerpapi:
quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:
question ---- what happens when PG opens its new facility

I was under the impression the Jupiter event would be moved to GA.

Can we still say "we're going to Jupiter?"

I wasn't aware of that happening, I would think that the weather here is much more conducive to the event (though this month too much rain on the weekends). It is also very inexpensive to come to FL this time of year.

One other reason why there are so many scouts in Jupiter, I would imagine, is that it is off season.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.