Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Here's the link to the press release. Press Release A press release is written by the company issuing it, and they are usually self-serving. Then folks like ESPN pick up the press release, get a comment from the likely opposing point of view, and distribute it as news.
So apparently the president of UMS has been interested in this subject since 1994. I suppose that interest is amplified by an opportunity to demonstrate his company's imaging capabilities. Imaging Mac's actual 70th HR ball is apparently more attention-worthy than jsut cutting open a 1998 foul ball.

The property of the ball that matters is the coefficient of restitution (COR), which is a measure of how "bouncy" the ball is. MLB and Rawlings test baseballs for COR at an impact speed of 85 feet/sec against a rigid wall. Thus their testing is done under conditions which approximate a bunt. According to Robert Adair, author of The Physics of Baseball, tests done by a colleague of his showed no change in COR between 1988 and a second set of measurements made in 1998. Whether these low-speed tests tell us much about the COR during a home-run impact is debatable.
My own opinion is that the ball really hasn't changed. I base that on the recorded distances of the longest home runs hit over the last 50 years of so in the older ball parks. A really good whack has been and still is around 475 feet.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.